Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • I played the Dark Souls beta yesterday evening. Man, that game is depressing. Everything is dead, even the main character?
      I don't mind a punishing difficulty, as long as the controls are good. Here the controls are just incredibly clunky. Trying to take out a bowman, or possibly knock him off a wall, I fell off myself. Into a boss room, where I was immediately overrun.

      Perhaps the regular game does a better job of teaching you how to play. This beta test just made me dislike the game.

      Also, does anyone have difficulty uploading his save games to the cloud? For me, half of my games say "backup pending."
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

    • Canyarion wrote:

      I played the Dark Souls beta yesterday evening. Man, that game is depressing. Everything is dead, even the main character?
      I don't mind a punishing difficulty, as long as the controls are good. Here the controls are just incredibly clunky. Trying to take out a bowman, or possibly knock him off a wall, I fell off myself. Into a boss room, where I was immediately overrun.

      Perhaps the regular game does a better job of teaching you how to play. This beta test just made me dislike the game.

      Also, does anyone have difficulty uploading his save games to the cloud? For me, half of my games say "backup pending."
      So, Dark Souls's controls aren't perfect, not even close, but they're not entirely terrible, either. What they are is rewarding of a very slow, deliberate, style of play. A big reason it got the reputation as being ludicrously difficult is because if you play it like a traditional action RPG you will die. You have to move slowly, pay attention, and think about every button press before you make it. As for teaching you how to play...nope. The full game is rubbish at it. You have to either read guides by 3rd parties or figure it out yourself.

      The game is also very depressing. It's about the end of an era, a pretty much literal Gotterdammerung ("Twilight of the Gods")/Ragnarok. Everything has almost finished decaying into dust, the fires are going out, the gods are dead, absent, or powerless, and everything is falling apart. You are no great hero, simply another of the walking dead, but you can choose, if you wish, to try and do some good before the madness takes you.


      I love the series, but it has definite issues and isn't for everyone.

      May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

      Those who defy it, glory!

      The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

    • Dark Souls looks interesting, but the fact that it doesn't have much in-game story turns me off. Now, there are games like that that I like (such as the original Luigi's Mansion), but I'm not sure Dark Souls would be one of those.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Eh, that's...not quite right.

      There's actually a decent amount of story in Dark Souls, it's just not explicit. It's entirely possible to play through it and have no idea what's going on, what you're doing, who anyone is, where you are, etc.

      On the other hand, if you read the item descriptions, pay attention to what every NPC says, do the side-quests, and look at the environmental storytelling...there's a lot of background and world-building there.



      But yes, there's no real drama or character stuff for the protagonist. All the story stuff, barring a handful of things, is world-building and lore. It's well done, but if you want melodrama and conventional storytelling you won't find it there.

      May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

      Those who defy it, glory!
    • I don't really consider that a story, though, so much as worldbuilding, since it's all about things that have already happened, as opposed to things that are happening now. I really enjoy worldbuilding, but I like story too.

      Normally, atmosphere is very important to me as well. But although most people would say Dark Souls is an atmospheric game, and although I see why they say that, for some reason the game feels very sterile to me, at least from what I've seen of it.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Can't agree with you there, the atmosphere is very, very, strong in it.

      Now, it's not as good as it once was, the aging tech means that the visuals lack some of the oomph they once had, and that hurts the feeling you get from it. But you're still very much someone almost entirely alone in a crumbling kingdom wandering through as it finishes its collapse, and that feeling strongly comes through. Kinda like what Breath of the Wild did, only moreso.

      May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

      Those who defy it, glory!
    • John wrote:

      Can't agree with you there, the atmosphere is very, very, strong in it.

      Now, it's not as good as it once was, the aging tech means that the visuals lack some of the oomph they once had, and that hurts the feeling you get from it. But you're still very much someone almost entirely alone in a crumbling kingdom wandering through as it finishes its collapse, and that feeling strongly comes through. Kinda like what Breath of the Wild did, only moreso.
      I actually don't disagree with you; by any objective measure it's a very atmospheric game. But for some reason it doesn't feel very atmospheric to me. It's purely an idiosyncratic reaction. And to be fair, I've only seen about an hour or so of it played. Maybe if I played it myself for longer things would be different.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

      —Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • So, I have got my pro controller, and it seems to work fine. The thing is, that the charger is a bitch to get into the dock due to narrowness. I took a look at this:

      en-americas-support.nintendo.c…ndo-switch-pro-controller

      And apparently you can charge the pro controller directly to the wall outlet... but how do I do that? All I have is the tiny cable that doesn't fit into the wall outlet. I guess I have to go and buy something to make it work?
    • MVS wrote:

      So, I have got my pro controller, and it seems to work fine. The thing is, that the charger is a bitch to get into the dock due to narrowness. I took a look at this:

      en-americas-support.nintendo.c…ndo-switch-pro-controller

      And apparently you can charge the pro controller directly to the wall outlet... but how do I do that? All I have is the tiny cable that doesn't fit into the wall outlet. I guess I have to go and buy something to make it work?
      They're saying you can use the actual Switch's charger. Though that's a bit inconvenient if you just always leave it connected to the dock. The Switch, the dock and the Pro Controller all use the same USB-C connection for power, so you can just use the same cables and adapters for all of them.
    • I'm glad switch owners will finally get to experience "Praising the Sun." Dark Souls is an amazing game.

      I finally subscribed to the online service. I'm hoping they'll bump up the NES classic library. I would love to see them expand to snes or n64 or at least offer those games on the eshop. I had hoped to see a thriving classic library on the Switch by now... Ah well, at least my family can play Splatoon 2 online again.
    • They found the exact same lines in the 3DS eShop data, making this look suspicious. It could be a wrong copy-paste, or old data.

      Still, let's hope.

      I'd be more excited if they made this a premium streaming service. I'd gladly pay double the Online subscription if it includes the other Nintendo systems.
      Oh and transferring your stuff from the Wii U and 3DS would be nice.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW