Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • John wrote:

Except that New Super Mario Bros. Wii U is beloved because it was a really good game, but one that only saw a limited audience due to the Wii U's poor sales.

Like, we're gonna see lots of Wii U ports because the Wii U had low sales numbers but Nintendo put out some really good games for it.
      Sounds like a really good way to punish their most loyal/dedicated fans (i.e. the sorry saps who purchased a Wii U).

To be fair, can't blame Nintendo too much if people continue to buy these. To me, the occasional well-placed remake/remaster or even port is cool, but it has gotten to such a a ridiculous degree in recent years, that I am surprised people still lap them up. It's obviously a big win for the company when they can keep releasing the same product, often at near its original price.

Daemon X Machina looks kind of cool.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Bill ().

• Topaz Mutiny wrote:

GregariousTree wrote:

You're right. Topaz Mutiny said it was garbage, Canyarion said it was terrible, and Creiddyland said that Catan was the best thing in the direct, lol. I wasn't trying to target you specifically, @Jackos. Just thinking there's a bit of hyperbole running around somewhere here.
      Scuze me, but that was in direct reference to Nintendo Switch Online. Don’t go putting words in my mouth.
      That said my overall opinion was kind of meh.
      I have zero interest in FF aside from Crystal Chronicles (which was pre revealed due to the delay), Katamari was a delightful surprise, and everything else I either had a mild reaction to or was too mad at NSO to really react.
      Fair enough and my apologies.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • I dunno why they wouldn't just keep porting Wii U games. Share the wealth man. A ton of people didn't take the plunge on that failed science experiment of a console. If you're still pumping out good new games for the switch, I think filling in the gaps with games that nobody played because they were on a dead console is a pretty solid idea. Just get you B teams porting shit basically 24/7 and have your A teams making new games.
    • The Direct was ok.

The week delay definitely spoiled the surprise of a bunch of the announcements, but nothing here was exactly earth shattering, regardless. At least, in my opinion.

I still think DAEMON X MACHINA and Starlink both look really cool. I doubt this was the first place it was mentioned, but this was the first time I heard that the Switch version of Starlink would have exclusive missions. Getting Civilization VI is also about as great and worthy of a port as you get.

After a very quiet 2018, it seems like Nintendo is loading up for 2019. Right now we've got Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Yoshi's Crafted World, Gamefreak's new IP, and supposedly the mainline 3D Pokemon on the way. And all of four weeks before 2019 commences, we get the biggest Smash Bros. ever.

Yoshi's Crafted World also looked far more intriguing this time around than in any of the previous presentations. Seems like it adds a lot of necessary wrinkles to the 2D platformer. I'm also interested in Gamefreak's new IP. The art design and in-game visuals are really nice.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • Mirren wrote:

After a very quiet 2018, it seems like Nintendo is loading up for 2019. Right now we've got Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Yoshi's Crafted World, Gamefreak's new IP, and supposedly the mainline 3D Pokemon on the way. And all of four weeks before 2019 commences, we get the biggest Smash Bros. ever.
      Honestly if Nintendo settled into a development cycle of every other year being loaded I wouldn't even mind the off years that much.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • RealmWings wrote:

Don't forget Metroid Prime 4!
      I mean...maybe? I was just listing what is currently confirmed/slated for 2019, so it goes without saying that there's probably going to be a lot more that we get next year.

I'm approaching some level of concern that we haven't seen a thing of Metroid Prime 4, but I've been of the belief that, if they show it, they're saving it for a big, mainstream event like the Game Awards. Same for Bayonetta 3, which I suppose could also be coming next year, but it remains to be seen, just yet.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • *glances over Direct titles* PS1 Final Fantasy on Nintendo. Yep, it's still proceeding as I foresaw in this thread like two days ago. Of course I didn't foresee that it would happen so quickly.

It's disappointing that there doesn't currently seem to be a way to purchase games from the online service. It's mind boggling to think that a person can buy FFIX on a Nintendo console, but not Ocarina of Time. If/when you can buy both... the Switch will necessarily become the best gaming device ever made.

Also, I look forward to NSMBU since I haven't played it. :)
      :cookiemonster:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person ().

• Overall thoughts: The online system looks weak as hell, there was much we already knew because of the week-long delay, and Isabelle as a Smash fighter looks like a clone of Villager (not an echo fighter, but still using a similar moveset from what I can tell). I've also had my fill of Pokémon Let's Go and Super Mario Party news, so I'll be tuning those out until their respective release dates.

There were some surprises though, and overall it seems like 2019 is gearing up to be quite a year of games for the Switch. Not really interested in Yoshi or Luigi's Mansion personally, but there are several other games that I'm looking forward to.

On the topic of Wii U re-releases: I don't mind them. There are several Wii U games that make a ton of sense for the Switch, and NSMBU was always on my list of likely ports. It's a good game, but frankly I wouldn't have missed it if they'd decided against porting it. I already have Tropical Freeze.

Overall-overall, somewhat underwhelming as to be expected. The delay did harm the surprise-factor.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Abyss Master ().

• Common Knowledge wrote:

Pikmin 4 is also a game that, while hasn't been officially revealed yet, was confirmed by Miyamoto a while back, so we may very well be seeing that one soon.
      I fully think that he was talking about Hey Pikmin game for the 3DS.

Not saying there won’t be a Pikmin 4 eventually but yeah...
      :(

Also, the direct...
      Luigi’s mansion 3 and yoshis world.
      And as a person who took the plunge on the failed science experiment of a console, I roll my eyes every time a WiiU game is being re released.
      Good for the rest of the people, not so much for me. :(
    • Hopefully Luigi's Mansion 3 is more like the original, since I really liked that game. It was short, but it had a lot of quality, variation and exploration. I want unique ghosts back, I want one bigger mansion and not several smaller ones, I want that atmosphere and charm that the original delivered. It would be awful if every normal ghost in the game looked like the generic slimy ghosts we saw in the trailer. At the very least change the color on them, but also different forms and sizes. And most of all, unique ghosts with personality.

The Final Fantasy portion is a big deal for me, who hasn't played any of the games that were announced. Obviously it is 7, 9, 10+2 and 12 that I am interested in. The other ones are pretty much "meh", even though World of Final Fantasy looks charming, but definitely not on my priority list right now.

These two sections were the ones that stood out for me in the Direct.

The post was edited 2 times, last by MVS ().

• 2019 is looking to be a strong year for the Switch, the very first strong one in my opinion. Animal Crossing and Pokemon confirmed for the year makes it a pretty big deal. Although, it's hard to get too hyped because for both games we have no information whatsoever, and both franchises have a history of hits or misses. Expectations for Animal Crossing Switch are going to be through the roof for so many reasons (them really hitting it out of the park with New Leaf, the massive increase in userbase and hype since New Leaf, the 6+ year gap since the last Animal Crossing game, etc.). Can Nintendo live up to that?

I hope that both Animal Crossing and Pokemon hit it out of the park. I'm more worried about Pokemon than anything. LGP/E need to be swept under the rug where they belong, and Generation VII had so many problems. Pokemon 2019 has a lot to prove.

It's for the reasons above that sadly I'm not too hyped for 2019, even though it could finally be the years that breaks the Switch apart as its own system for me instead of a portable Wii U machine like it is right now. I need more info!

Luigi's Mansion 3 was a nice surprise in the Direct. I just wonder why it looks like an HD remaster of Dark Moon? Graphics don't make a game, I get that... But the lack of detail in the textures and the blocky, large structures/models make the game look a heck of a lot less "spooky". The original Luigi's Mansion was detailed and dark. I don't know why they've gone down this path, and I especially don't know why the graphics look so bad on the Switch. I was so confused during the presentation, wondering what they were showing, because it looked like so much like a 3DS game, not a Switch game.

Otherwise, seeing true Final Fantasy classics make it on a Nintendo system for the first time is kind of a big deal. I've always felt bitter about Cloud's inclusion in Smash, but now Cloud's own game will be on a Nintendo system for the very first time.

The online service is a complete sham. Even though I didn't expect anything big to be revealed here because I thought Nintendo would have revealed it before if they had anything big, I thought they'd at least have something to reveal here. But nothing, nothing at all. Wrapping up the online service in a cute video with Mario characters doesn't make the service better, Nintendo. It is still a waste of money. Nintendo's just being a greedy business here. It's sad, but what can one even do? =( Thankfully I got to playing other games than Mario Kart 8 DX for now, so I don't even have a need to purchase the service.
    • The Direct was kinda mediocre...which has been the norm for Directs. So I'm not disappointed.

Katamari Damacy is a standout for me. Wanted to play it, but was never released in Europe.

Ty. wrote:

I dunno why they wouldn't just keep porting Wii U games. Share the wealth man. A ton of people didn't take the plunge on that failed science experiment of a console. If you're still pumping out good new games for the switch, I think filling in the gaps with games that nobody played because they were on a dead console is a pretty solid idea. Just get you B teams porting shit basically 24/7 and have your A teams making new games.
      Wanting B teams to port games (that many here have already played) 24/7? While they could be making new games, and they've already done a year and a half of porting?

I'm not strongly against ports, but honestly, only Nintendo can get away with this with thumbs up from the fans.
    • Bill wrote:

John wrote:

Except that New Super Mario Bros. Wii U is beloved because it was a really good game, but one that only saw a limited audience due to the Wii U's poor sales.

Like, we're gonna see lots of Wii U ports because the Wii U had low sales numbers but Nintendo put out some really good games for it.
      Sounds like a really good way to punish their most loyal/dedicated fans (i.e. the sorry saps who purchased a Wii U).
      To be fair, can't blame Nintendo too much if people continue to buy these. To me, the occasional well-placed remake/remaster or even port is cool, but it has gotten to such a a ridiculous degree in recent years, that I am surprised people still lap them up. It's obviously a big win for the company when they can keep releasing the same product, often at near its original price.

Daemon X Machina looks kind of cool.
      "Punish" fans? What? Ports don't punish anyone. Especially ports from a stationary console to a mobile one.

john_marston wrote:

The Direct was kinda mediocre...which has been the norm for Directs. So I'm not disappointed.

Katamari Damacy is a standout for me. Wanted to play it, but was never released in Europe.

Ty. wrote:

I dunno why they wouldn't just keep porting Wii U games. Share the wealth man. A ton of people didn't take the plunge on that failed science experiment of a console. If you're still pumping out good new games for the switch, I think filling in the gaps with games that nobody played because they were on a dead console is a pretty solid idea. Just get you B teams porting shit basically 24/7 and have your A teams making new games.
      Wanting B teams to port games (that many here have already played) 24/7? While they could be making new games, and they've already done a year and a half of porting?
      I'm not strongly against ports, but honestly, only Nintendo can get away with this with thumbs up from the fans.
      I dunno, S-E fans seem really hype about their ports, and people seem excited for the ports by Blizzard and Bethesda.

Nintendo isn't some sort of outlier here. The big difference is that traditionally Nintendo doesn't do ports, they release a title for one system. Any "ports" they make are new games using the same name for either the portable or stationary console they have out at the same time as the original system. But due to the Wii U's poor sales they're now porting its catalogue to the Switch, and why not? There are already more Switch owners than Wii U ones, and the portability/extra game content these ports add mean that even people who've bought the original potentially have a reason to buy the port.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!