Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • When's the last time Game Freak did anything significant that isn't Pokémon?
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • GregariousTree wrote:

Yikes. Not understanding the crushing disappointment here. Yeah the switch online stuff continues to be a dumpster fire, but I thought that was a really fun and solid direct. New Luigi's Mansion, new Animal Crossing, new RPG from Game Freak, bunch of actual, main series Final Fantasy remasters, Civ IV and Cities: Skylines just off the top of my head. What's with the rage people?
      Welcome to every discussion on every Nintendo direct ever. The people on ZU who watch directs seem to universally hate them. :P

Anyway, the FF ports are neat, the Katamari remaster is neat, the new Gamefreak game could be neat, new Luigi's Mansion and new AC is neat, Demon x Machina looks fun, Yoshi is looking good, NSMBWU was a good game, etc.

It wasn't an amazing direct, but it wasn't bad, either.

Vulpes wrote:

When's the last time Game Freak did anything significant that isn't Pokémon?
      Given that they've almost only made Pokemon games that's not really a fair question. "Other than the only projects you have the time and resources to make, what have you done?" :P

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Jackos wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

Current Pokémon is the reason why I don't have faith on them in the first place.
      Sure, but I wasn't trying to dispute you, I just wanted to know the answer.

• So like... do you even like Nintendo then?

They presented a lot of new and exciting stuff from some of their major IPs. Even if it's not the kind of stuff you personally like the best out of their library, it's kinda unfair to call this a garbage presentation with nothing going on. That's quite of a bit of major software coming out soon.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • John wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

Given that they've almost only made Pokemon games that's not really a fair question. "Other than the only projects you have the time and resources to make, what have you done?" :P
      That was kind of my point. It might be interesting to see what a major project from them would look like, especially an RPG that isn't required to fit into the Pokémon universe.

• Vulpes wrote:

John wrote:

Vulpes wrote:

That was kind of my point. It might be interesting to see what a major project from them would look like, especially an RPG that isn't required to fit into the Pokémon universe.
      Yep, I'm pretty excited for that reason. I'd love to see what they can do. And I kinda got a Paper Mario vibe from Town, so I'm excited.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • just got chance to watch the direct and that Luigi's Mansion 3 reveal completely blindsided me. I was just sat there going "oh yeah I forgot they're bringing it to the 3DS. Would be so much better if it was on sw..." and then bam!

The terrifying realisation that it's almost certainly over a full year away though O_O :looney:
      "Know that you are worthy of love and so much more. Today, tomorrow and always, keep your head up"
      - Something someone said to me once that will stick with me always
    • So here’s the thing

Most of the announcements I do t realky care but that’s totally fine because it just reinforces that companies want to put games o the switch

Yeah the switch’s third party library won’t be as other consoles because of the tech limitations but that’s ok because the library and interest continues to grow and that is awesome

Overall the direct jus reassured me that nontendo is still on the right track
    • Way too many ports and remakes. They've pretty much phoned it in.

The port for New Super Mario Bros U is the one that irritates me the most.

An original Mario side-scroller that actually received first-class treatment would light up the sales charts. There is a huge audience, of which I am part of, who is clamoring for a game like this. But 2D Mario gets rehashes, low-budget, cookie cutter level themes, crap music, and the B Team. They've rehashed this audiovisual and game-play foundation four times and now they're doing a port. Pathetic.

It couldn't be clearer that Nintendo has no real interest or passion in making a 2D Mario; they do it out of a sense of obligation since they know if will sell a few million copies at worst and cost a pittance to develop.

After such a promising start, the Switch could have been so much more. Based on what we're seeing now, I'm pretty disappointed with what they're putting out. I have a bad feeling about the Metroid game.

Just give me an inspired by Breath of the Wild sequel by around 2020 and we'll call it even, I guess.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bill ().

• I just wish they would bring out Switch ports of Wii U games I want to play, like Pikmin 3.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• I've got no problems with ports if they are still generating new content. Which they are.

Smash, Pokemon, Yoshi, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing are all major, first party new releases in the pipeline that were discussed in this direct. Maybe Town counts too, I dunno, I get confused by the whole first/second/third party classification lol. There's also Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4 and another Pokemon entry not discussed, plus we know they're working on the next Zelda. Yeah, we already knew about most of them, but like... Nintendo doesn't have unlimited resources? Sorry, but we can't have a 24/7 new reveal fountain. There's lulls to everything.

Look, I'm not saying they're doing everything perfectly. I wish they would port more interesting stuff, I wish they would resurrect some of their needlessly dead franchises, Switch Online has been a genuine disaster, the death of Virtual Console is beyond disappointing. But I think people are getting needlessly frustrated and acting like Nintendo's just sitting around doing nothing. They still have a lot of awesome stuff in the works and I think they should be credited for that.
    • I was hoping the U Deluxe would also include NSMBWii with it. It's a similar situation with DKTF and the lack of Returns with the Switch port. I just don't feel justified to getting those games alone when I already played them fairly recently. So I'll be skipping Deluxe most likely.

I'm not against ports and remakes in general, though. And I get why they're bringing over Wii U ports especially. But ones that I'd actually be excited for are for older games like Mario Galaxy 1/2, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD (which I'm like 80% sure is coming eventually), that could use a graphical update.

Switch online, though....bleh. I mean, I'm gonna subscribe to it, but man do they really know how to test people's patience when it comes to that stuff. I'm fully prepared for the 2+ years of NES game dripping before maybe possibly getting SNES games. I'll see N64 in my next lifetime.
    • Common Knowledge wrote:

I'm not against ports and remakes in general, though. And I get why they're bringing over Wii U ports especially. But ones that I'd actually be excited for are for older games like Mario Galaxy 1/2, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD (which I'm like 80% sure is coming eventually), that could use a graphical update.
      Yeah, those are the ports I'd get really excited about.

.....and Wind Waker/Twilight Princess HD.....
    • GregariousTree wrote:

You're right. Topaz Mutiny said it was garbage, Canyarion said it was terrible, and Creiddyland said that Catan was the best thing in the direct, lol. I wasn't trying to target you specifically, @Jackos. Just thinking there's a bit of hyperbole running around somewhere here.
      Scuze me, but that was in direct reference to Nintendo Switch Online. Don’t go putting words in my mouth.

That said my overall opinion was kind of meh.
      I have zero interest in FF aside from Crystal Chronicles (which was pre revealed due to the delay), Katamari was a delightful surprise, and everything else I either had a mild reaction to or was too mad at NSO to really react.