Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • I started with Alfyn, and played through the first chapters of Primrose, Olberic and Tressa.

The demo has cemented my purchase of the game as well. I'm gonna spend some more time through the month playing through the first chapter of every character, and see which combination suits me best. So far I think I'm definitely gonna stick with Alfyn and Olberic for sure.

One thing I'm really hoping for is for some deeper interaction between the eight characters, especially the ones that are foils to one another (Tressa and Therion, for example). I really hope we're not just gonna get eight individual stories that do not intertwine whatsoever, just branching off in their own separate directions.
    • I can already see signs of the stories intertwining even though I have played only 2 and a half paths between both demos (Olberic, H'annit and Ophilia), Olberic's story had a coup 15 years ago that sent a country to hell while Ophilia lost her parents to a war 15 years ago.

Also they said in interviews that we'd get party interactions later on.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• I would also suspect that the assassins that Primrose is looking for have some connection to the thieves and the butler from the Revus household. The butler is clearly not just random guy. While Cyrus tale would probably also link with Therion's one moment or another when he looks for info on the Dragon Stones. Alfyn's tale could also collide with H'annit's, considering her master has been gone for awhile and there is a possibility the beast he is searching him as poison him.

Meanwhile in the demo, I began with Therion then moved on to H'annit, and at the moment began with Alfyn, but I only have 40 mins left, so I imagine that will be my final party member for now.
      -------
      On the other side of things, my Switch buying schedule is packed for what is left of the year. Mario Tennis Aces this Friday. Already got Crash on PS4, but yeah I'm a Crash-Spyro boy as they were my childhood, so I'll double dip on the Switch version of the N-Sane Trilogy on the 29th. Just some days later, of course I'll get Octopath Traveler, as the months go on I also have Little Dragon's Cafe, the XC2 DLC expansion, Super Mario Party, Pokemon Lets GO, Tales of Vesperia DE and Super Smash Bros Ultimate . I'll also most surely get Dragon Ball Z Fighterz, Disgaea 1 Complete, and Okami HD, so my Switch will barely be resting for what is left of the year :lol:

What is the Forgotten Temple?: The Forgotten Temple
      A relation between Zelda and Taoism? The Legend of Zelda and Taoism

The post was edited 1 time, last by tlozbj ().

• Guess someone on the developing team was having their share of fun with the inquire info:

Managed to get 3 party members before time ran out, combat is certainly better with more guys on your team since bosses' shields scale with that and you can no longer stun them as easily. Also props to the team for finally making a merchant that isn't a machine of total suckage outside of one broken ability that was removed on the sequel (on the Bravely games that thing sucks so hard outside of Low Leverage, an endgame-tier skill that trivializes the game, that it's not even funny, to add insult to injury you get the class itself really early on).

The post was edited 3 times, last by Jackos ().

• Last week, i finally decided on picking up a Switch. Got a pre-owned one from GAME, however it was brand new. Still in the original plastic packaging, the leads were still tied with the ties and everything. Picked it up with a copy of Breath of the Wild and a carry case.

Have since bought a Pro controller, Kirby Star Allies and Hollow Knight. Have also got Fortnite (nice to play this without the PS4 fans going into overdrive) and Pokemon Quest. And have pre-ordered Mario Tennis Aces.

First impressions, well you'd know these from my time at the pre-launch event in London. But more on this now. I love being able to just pick up the Switch from the dock and continue whatever game i'm playing on the move.
    • So... I betrayed Nintendo and sold my Switch. After my hooked up his new PS4, I didn't have anywhere to set it. That, the lack of VC games, and the fact that I was a bit short on cash after several unexpected expenses made it an easy decision. lol. I'm hooking my Wii up through AV cables. ;)

If they make a sequel to BotW, I'll probably wind up babbling in this thread once again. :)
    • I'm not sure why Nintendo hasn't implemented a Virtual Console for Switch. I know they're doing some subscription thing, but the two ideas don't seem mutually exclusive.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • Vulpes wrote:

I'm not sure why Nintendo hasn't implemented a Virtual Console for Switch. I know they're doing some subscription thing, but the two ideas don't seem mutually exclusive.
      Sadly, it seems like in Nintendo's mind they are. In reality there should be no conflict. Other mediums do just fine with the option between individual purchases and streaming subscriptions. Personally I would see the streaming subscription as a nice deal *if* I could purchase the individual games I really wanted to buy. However, subscription alone doesn't sit right with me.

I can't help but feel like this is all a part of Nintendo trying to 'persuade' people to buy their crappy online service. In fact, Reggie pretty much even said as such. It really ticks me off. They know their online services are not worth paying for, so they stick cloud saves and now subscription VC behind it.

Sadly I've seen a lot of people online just buying this whole idea that a subscription is automatically superior over individual purchases. While it IS true that the individual purchasing system has its issues - namely the fact that our purchases don't carry over from system to system, it doesn't mean we should get rid of it and only offer a streaming subscription instead. The streaming subscription is starting with a meager offering of NES games we have all played a billion times before. Who knows how long it will take for other systems to finally come, and who knows how long games will even stay on the service?

The sad thing is, those aforementioned people, their argument toward those of us who want to be able to purchase/own the games is "Go buy them on the system they were made for". As if that is supposed to solve this issue. Excuse me, but I just happen to think that the Switch is a perfect system to build a VC collection on. It is both portable and a console, meaning that I could have my favorite games portable. On top of that I really like the Switch as a portable. It's very comfortable to play - unlike the 3DS which I just found really uncomfortable. It really irks me that we have this perfect VC system here and people are just content with VC not even happening and telling us to go buy the games on their systems. It's just absurd. I still can't play Paper Mario portable and I wanted to, darn it. If I had more games portable I would be able to find time to play them that I don't otherwise have.

A lot of people are in love with the direction Nintendo has gone with the Switch, but stuff like this is really detrimental to me.
    • Envy wrote:

The sad thing is, those aforementioned people, their argument toward those of us who want to be able to purchase/own the games is "Go buy them on the system they were made for".
      Yeah, sure, I'll just buy a copy of Harvest Moon 64 for $100 or whatever, that sounds fine.
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"
    • This is a little crazy and unrealistic, but what the heck? Imma post it anyway. It's looking like Nintendo will wind up competing with the homebrew again. With pay-to-play online like this, it's difficult to imagine the online ban stopping anyone. People are going to wind up emulating the games Nintendo will not sell them, but many would do this even if the VC was available. Another solution is required.

Just imagine how crazy it would be if Nintendo supported mods of VC games. This is something that emulation has always had over the VC and (unless you have the right equipment) the original hardware. From what I understand, Sega does this on PC with some of their Steam versions of Genesis games. What if the Nintendo's online games came with the ability to play some of the more popular mods (e.g. Mario Adventure, Parallel Worlds, etc.) and the promise of more 'community mods' to come?

Since the Switch isn't really the best platform for creating such mods, this would essentially be a Nintendo endorsement of piracy (or at least emulation). Never gonna happen... but I think it should. ;)
    • The thing that irritates me the most about the online stuff is I just know we're likely to be waiting over a year before even getting an expanded library into SNES games, with Nintendo's infuriating drip-drip method they love to do with this stuff. And as for the systems after that...lol. See you guys in 2021. Maybe we'll get N64 games by then.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Common Knowledge ().

• @Gay Ginger I've certainly seen that argument. In fact, the people I was mentioning earlier defending this decision were including that people should buy the NES Mini, SNES Mini, etc. In reality, I already own an NES, and an SNES. I could go plug those in if I really wanted to, but I only have so much space to plug things in. That's kind of the point. With these Mini systems, they take up more space, they take more places to plug in, when we could just own the games our current system to avoid all of that hassle. I know there's a market for those even though I don't understand, so I'm not saying they shouldn't exist... But they really are novelty items only ideal for certain people, and they don't at all even begin to replace Virtual Console... Especially not for the Switch where you could own these games on a portable system!

@Common Knowledge Right? Nintendo always introduces VC with NES games, and acts like it's such a huge deal, as if these games have not been rereleased so many different ways in GCN/GBA era and following. They're doing no different with this online service 'benefit' and it's just really anticlimatic.

How long will it take for them to add other systems? Who knows? Another thought is, will the collection offered actually build or will it be like Netflix and things change from time to time? Meaning, that one game you wanted to buy wouldn't even be available all of the time. Moreover how does this service even work to begin with? Are these games going to be streamed or something?
    • @Envy

I wasn't saying it was right for Nintendo to take that approach, if that is actually the reason. I can definitely understand why many people wouldn't want to buy one of the minis, especially if they already own the real thing. I'm the same way with the Sega Genesis mini - I already own a genuine Sega Genesis, so there is no point.

My hypothesis is that Nintendo thinks there's more profit in pushing the minis than having a traditional VC on the Switch. Better for them, but worse for us?
    • Gay Ginger wrote:

I think the lack of VC on the Switch has more to do with the killer sales of the NES mini and SNES mini than it does their yet-be-released online service. They can keep doing extra production runs of these classic systems and rake in more money.
      I'm almost sad that those things are doing so well. Even though I have a (hacked) SNES Mini.

The reason I want those games on Switch is portability and ease of use. I'd love to play through ALttP on vacation, or play some multiplayer games on the train.

I think this subscription model will be a much better deal for me. On the Wii U and 3DS, I only bought a few Zelda VC games when they were discounted. I'm definitely not going to spend money to try some older games that I don't know. But with this subscription, I finally have the freedom to explore some other gems.

ecrofirt wrote:

Just imagine how crazy it would be if Nintendo supported mods of VC games. This is something that emulation has always had over the VC and (unless you have the right equipment) the original hardware.
      Nude Mario vs Hitler goombas, do you really think Nintendo would condone modding in their games?
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • In other news, I ended up really enjoying Fallout Shelter. It is slow in the beginning, but it picks up speed after a while. I also learned that time continues even when you're not playing it, so that helps with some of the more boring things.

One thing I don't like is how your bunker sometimes goes totally bonkers because you leave and it runs low on power/water/food. I don't think that's intentional? I had a perfecly fine base, with all the necessariy production facilities. I put the Switch in sleep mode. An hour later I turned it on and my base was a disaster. If you don't have enough power, you can't make water/food. It takes like half an hour to get the power level up again. Then you have to spend another half hour to get water/food back up. In the meantime, a disaster happened and 20% of my population died.

I now assume that was because I put it in sleep mode instead of turning the game off completely. I don't think it's supposed to happen like that.

Going on missions is really fun. The atmosphere is good. I feel bad about all the pregnant women all the time.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Canyarion wrote:

ecrofirt wrote:

Just imagine how crazy it would be if Nintendo supported mods of VC games. This is something that emulation has always had over the VC and (unless you have the right equipment) the original hardware.
      Nude Mario vs Hitler goombas, do you really think Nintendo would condone modding in their games?
      That's where they've gotta have the guy who moderates the Mario Maker levels really get down to business. Tbh, they should fire him and replace him with the nearest retrogaming turbo-NEET. The ideal candidate will be able to clear this mod without dying:

(note: heavy profanity in this video. sorry)
    • I've played through each of the eight characters' respective intros in Octopath Traveler. So far, here are my thoughts:

1. Combat can be a bit of a drag with just one character (depending on who that character is). With two characters, however, it suddenly picks up and becomes much more enjoyable.
      2. I'm seeing the potential for some interplay between different characters' storylines. I hope to high heaven that we'll see this come to fruition in the game proper.
      3. Every character feels capable in their own right, but it seems to me that Primrose might have the most difficult intro sequence, at least as a standalone character.
      4. There's more strategy in knowing when to use boost points than I thought at first, mainly because of three reasons; first, you don't gain a boost point the turn after you use them, and second, you can only spend up to three bost points at a time, and third, as expected, you do more damage when the enemy is stunned (suffering the "Break" condition). All of this means that you have to put some actual thought into when to spend boost points with which character.
      5. Being able to see the combat order for the next round is really useful, especially because it allows you to see which enemies you should target first and force into a "Break" state so that they don't get to attack that round.