Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Nintendo Switch
    • Like I said, I don't expect every decision Nintendo makes to appeal to me. But they're taking every franchise I care about in a direction I don't like, if not abandoning it altogether. Wilt thou yet take all, Nintendo?
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • Vulpes wrote:

Like I said, I don't expect every decision Nintendo makes to appeal to me. But they're taking every franchise I care about in a direction I don't like, if not abandoning it altogether. Wilt thou yet take all, Nintendo?
      Anything else you like outside Nintendo? A lot of the games that changed direction have found spiritual successors from other companies, and especially indies.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• Please Understand wrote:

Mozly Alice wrote:

The thing that excited me the most about the Nintendo Direct is the Rune Factory 5 announcement.
      I haven't been so excited for Rune Factory (or any Harvest Moon-like game) since Frontier to be honest. I loved that game*.
      *except for its mechanic with the small spirits that would boost your crops, I hated that.
      Frontier is the game that informed me of the series' existence actually! I was interested in it until I came out as trans and went through a period where playing as male character caused me distress.

I might check it out eventually.
    • Mozly Alice wrote:

Frontier is the game that informed me of the series' existence actually! I was interested in it until I came out as trans and went through a period where playing as male character caused me distress.

I might check it out eventually.
      It is a wholesome game, I am sure you will love it if you give it a try. The RPG part of it is fantastic compared to other Rune Factory games (or Stardew Valley). It is maybe slightly weaker when it comes to farming, but it depends on whether you enjoy the sprite/spirit thing system they have in it.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

Zesty Crouton wrote:

I'm... not sure how I feel about Rune Factory.

The only game of its kind that I've ever played was Stardew Valley, and I really liked Stardew Valley. The thing is, though, Rune Factory looks so... anime. Like, I watch anime, but something about the artstyle advertised in Rune Factory just puts me off. I dunno. Which is a shame, because I would really like to try another Stardew Valley-style game.
      Rune Factory and Story of Seasons (ex-Harvest Moon, new HM suck) games are far better than Stardew Valley in my opinion, at least in most regards. Stylistically yes they are much more anime, especially Rune Factory, but Stardew is animeish too, it's definitely modeled after Japanese art style.
      Yeah, but it's not anime or it's aesthetic in general that I have a problem with, it's the particular style of anime that the games go for that puts me off. Like, it's too... I dunno... cutesy? I don't know that I'm quite explaining myself well here, but anime art styles in general don't bother me. I mean if they did, I wouldn't be such a big fan of Fire Emblem. I think it's mostly the bright pastel colors I saw in the trailer, the almost doll-like design of the characters (I hate dolls. They scare me, haha), and... yeah. It felt more like a dating sim than a farming simulator. And maybe I'm totally off-base, but that's just the vibe I get from the trailer and the bits I've seen of the other Rune Factory and Story of Seasons games.

Stardew Valley definitely had dating simulator aspects, but it's art style felt more 'cartoonish' than specifically anime, and the characters felt more grounded than the collection of cliched tropified female anime archetypes I pick up from the other games.

...Wow, I sound really harsh about two franchises I've never played. Definitely not my intention, but I know what I like and what I don't, and as stupid as it sounds, art style alone is enough to keep me from ever playing a game. Like, I doubt I'll ever play Dragon Quest, because I don't like the artist's style. Every character looks exactly like someone I vaguely recognize from when I watched DBZ as a kid. And yeah, I know it's the same person, but... it just feels lazy. Plus I think their art is ugly, soooo...
      What good is Power without the Wisdom to wield it? What good is Wisdom without the Courage to act? What good is Courage without the Power to change the world?

NNID: Croutonz

The post was edited 1 time, last by Zesty Crouton ().

• Can't really speak to the art style of RF4 (I don't mind it any), but "dating simulator" is...not exactly correct. It's pretty much like Stardew: You can build relationships with people over time, or you can choose not to. You can talk to them every day and give them gifts, or you can just farm and dungeon crawl. Story of Seasons is similar (sans the dungeon crawling).

No denying the casts tend to be at least a bit cliche, but they're also varied (20+ characters, usually) and so there's a bit of a need to quickly establish them in distinctive ways to the player. Honestly, one of the things that I dislike about Stardew is that its characters feel so flat and unmemorable, at least at first. I get why (if nothing else, one developer writing a whole cast is difficult) but it made it hard for me to really care about them because most of them felt like the same person with a different face. I gather they get better as you go, gaining depth, but the lack of initial "oomph" makes it hard for me to really want to invest the time, at least in part because I have no idea which characters I'd actually like.

As for Dragon Quest, heh, Toriyama is well known for only being able to draw about five different faces and distinguishes characters based on their hair and clothing more than anything else. When he's doing non-humans he's more varied (though he does tend towards green frog-faced people a lot), but he's definitely not gonna be remembered for the diversity of countenances in his work.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

Vulpes wrote:

Like I said, I don't expect every decision Nintendo makes to appeal to me. But they're taking every franchise I care about in a direction I don't like, if not abandoning it altogether. Wilt thou yet take all, Nintendo?
      Anything else you like outside Nintendo? A lot of the games that changed direction have found spiritual successors from other companies, and especially indies.
      I play other games, sure, and I'm looking at at least one spiritual successor, but I'd like to point out what you yourself said:

Please Understand wrote:

Making spiritual successors to Nintendo games, especially Mario or Zelda, is a surefire way for your game to never live up to expectations, lol
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
    • I have this weird complaint about newer Rune Factory games, but hear me out.

I played a lot of RF2 as a kid, and RF4 when it came out, and the biggest difference to me is the combat. RF4's combat has these absurdly fast anime combos all the time, and it feels really good to hit stuff because they slam into walls and stuff like that. Whereas RF2's combat is extremely methodical, almost Dark Souls-esque. Each attack has to be well-placed and patient, and you can only adventure for so long in a given day because attacking drains your stamina meter for the day just like farming would.
      And honestly, I just know I'm in the minority but I prefer the old way. It feels less like the game is separated between "Adventure" and "Not an adventure", in the way that farming and combat have similar pacing and that they both share a stamina meter.

And honestly, I didn't like the characters as much in RF4. They seem a lot more trope-y. "This girl fights but secretly likes sweets. This girl is sleepy." Etc. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking.

That being said, RF4 is EASILY the superior game from an objective standpoint: It's way more polished, NPC schedules are loads better and they can accompany you in your party, the dungeons are better, you have more control over the flow of the game, weapon skills are satisfying, etc. and I'm super excited to play Rune Factory 5. On Switch. I literally just realized it's going to be on Switch. It's gonna look so damn beautiful.
    • I've become rather unfamiliar with Rune Factory. I've only played the original, and only a bit of it, on the DS. It was...eh...ok. I never picked up the other titles but I can imagine it's improved over the years. And now with "Harvest Moon" games actually not being Harvest Moon, and Story of Seasons being the new name of the series, I imagine if they were ever to bring back Rune Factory's old subtitle, it'd have to be "A Fantasy Story of Season" rather than A Fantasy Harvest Moon.
    • I was watching a technical analysis of Yoshi’s Crafted World and was kind of shocked that the demo revealed itself to be sub-HD resolution both in handheld and docked.

I was really surprised by how much of the resolution needed to be sacrificed in order for other areas of the game to perform well, and it makes me wonder how efficient some of these non-Nintendo game engines are, because this is also using Unreal 4 rather than a custom Nintendo engine.

It could be that the Unreal engine support on Switch really isn’t that great, but this isn’t the first time I’ve heard of Unreal being unwieldy.
    • ...Probably? Resolution is not the be-all and end-all of what makes an image look good. Textures, lighting, post-processing, and frame rate (to name a few) are all tradeoffs with resolution and you'll often end up with a better-looking game if you reduce the pixel count a bit in exchange for, say, rendering fuzzy hair on furry enemies, or whatever.

Edit: To be absurdly reductionist, a 16k render of an untextured cube is probably much less visually interesting than a 720 render of a dynamic action scene with fire and smoke and dust and lights and fabrics and everything. Obviously the latter image would be improved by being at a higher resolution, but if your choice is between up-ressing and including other details the right choice is not always to up the resolution.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Granted, I don’t think any of Nintendo’s games since the Wii U had to pear things back this much before, and I would definitely hedge my bets on that being due to Unreal rather than anything intentional on Nintendo/Good Feel’s part.

It still looks pretty enough and has such a solid smooth FPS (which is a feat unto itself according to that video) that it took an analysis video several days after the demo released for me to even notice the resolution.

@Ty. Tetris becoming a Battle Royale is both absolutely ludicrous and makes perfect sense at the same time. I bet it’s a bloodbath.

"FUCK YOU NINTENDO" by Topaz Mutiny

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3

The post was edited 1 time, last by Topaz Mutiny ().