Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Zelda doesn't appeal to me anymore

Post by Aerilaya ().

This post was deleted by Big Daddy Biggles: Not necessary - PMing you ().
    • Z-MAN7 wrote:

If you look at the character art for OoT, this Link is definitely a bit more masculine than the others from recent games. Sure he's got the 90's anime pretty boy face but he's got the muscle tone of a male fighter.

Eh, I would argue that he just has muscle tone of a fighter in general. I'm not saying he's not male, just putting a disclaimer that beefy biceps and leg muscles are a universal human trait, despite it going against everything we are taught in society. But yes, in general we're taught that the more muscles something has the inherently better and more manly it is, though I'd argue otherwise.

Fun fact, but a lot of toneage is more common in professional body builders than athletes that train in strength.
    • I respect everyone's opinion, but I do need help understanding the need to go onto a forum to talk about how one doesn't like the franchise. I don't hang out on Twilight forums.

That being said, I am not trying to get anyone to leave by any means. Just trying to understand.
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
    • I believe the point is that he does like the franchise, but every game has its ups and downs for each person, and there can be a lot of perceived problems about the new games. Zelda problems aren't just about linearity and easiness, thus why the post reads like "Zelda's overall style (ie. characters, music) feels more gay these days."

For example: I for one agree with the OP that ALttP and OoT had a way better stylistic theme and atmosphere than newer Zelda games, there was a lot less drama to way the games played and progressed, but just as much anticipation and a lot of open and rich atmospheric effect. That is because Zelda games focused much less on anime character building, and much more on exploration, its mood and atmospheric effect. I think OoT's cutscenes and characters were pretty charming but lasted just as short as it takes to traverse a new obstacle. Thus the merchandising isn't like that of characters staying still posing, like how Link and Midna do little winks and gestures for hours in TP and try to look like the anime heroes or stars. In classic Zelda there was none of that drama, just a lot of free adventuring, thus Zelda was never really an anime.

This is really what he's trying to get at, from reading his other posts, and I hope that sheds light on a vague attempt to communicate this. We're also aware 99% of this forum is probably obsessed with anime and eats candy all day, that's just the kind of fanbase the franchise eventually panned out. I personally think the franchise could use less of this expressive character drama, but still have all the color, charm and whimsy of a Zelda world and its NPCs.

The post was edited 28 times, last by guest_15468 ().

• Honestly out of all the Links from the 3D console titles, I've always preferred adult OoT Link's design, especially how he was drawn. TP Link's and especially SS Link's designs never really appealed to me (although TP Link looks alright in the official art), neither does BotW Link's. But it is what it is.

As for Zelda not appealing to you anymore, I can relate to that but for different reasons.

The post was edited 3 times, last by ich Will ().

• I guess it would be nice to be able to customise appearances, like how feminine or ugly I want my avatar Link to be. It wouldn't make any difference to anything else than appearance.

I too have the situation "like the series but dislike the latest games". For me it's not as much about appearances, it's more about lame characters and stories, and feeling sick of puzzles and "dungeons". My favorite Zelda game has good story elements and interesting characters and some sense of realism of people's lives and game world's situation. Nothing like the latest Zeldas.

I could say that ever since Yoshiaki Koizumi left the dev team the series has not appealed to me anymore.

The post was edited 1 time, last by jalo ().

• Tony wrote:

Z-MAN7 wrote:

Might be feminine, but he's still a straight white elf kid fighting monsters and chasing princess booty.
      and that's just fine
      Where is it stated he's straight (not, for instance, bi) and white?
      Looks pretty white to me, also considering Nintendo is a conservative Japanese company he's most likely straight. (Luckily we have fanart, let loose the Groose)

Even blond, light-skinned characters in Japanese media are typically considered Japanese unless otherwise stated.
      Yeah I get that, I've seen anime. However I don't believe Japan exists in the world Hyrule is in.
    • A two-chinned Link would be interesting (and odd considering the character's athleticism), but I'm not sure how his looks would ultimately be a factor to the puzzle solving.

Japan has different views on masculinity compared to the West. It's why there's such a prevalence of the bishounen characteristics. Zelda I started the trend. The only reason why TP and OoT Link seem to be less androgynous is due to their more defined musculature.

I can understand if you have lost some interest in the puzzle solving of late, as it had been stagnant due to continuous use of certain mcguffins. I am, however, optimistic based on the puzzles I've seen implemented in the Sheikah Shrines, which now emphasize the new physics engine. It seems encouraging that they are finally trying to mix up the formula.
    • Tony wrote:

Z-MAN7 wrote:

Might be feminine, but he's still a straight white elf kid fighting monsters and chasing princess booty.
      and that's just fine
      Where is it stated he's straight (not, for instance, bi) and white?

Even blond, light-skinned characters in Japanese media are typically considered Japanese unless otherwise stated.
      I think Link's race would be considered Hylian. Physically, Hylians may be similar to certain real-life races of humans, but they have some traits not seen in real life at all (pointy ears, magical powers), and the cultural context is completely different. So referring to Link as either white or Japanese seems out of place.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Well, I like to think of it like this; anyone who is born in Hyrule, is considered Hylian (Link, Zelda, Impa). Anyone who is born in Korkiri forest is a Korkiri (Saria). Anyone born in Gerudo Valley is considered a Gerudo (Ganondorf). It doesn't matter what skin colour they have as long as they are born in the region they are from, just like it is in real life regions I suppose.
    • Aurelia wrote:

Well, I like to think of it like this; anyone who is born in Hyrule, is considered Hylian (Link, Zelda, Impa). Anyone who is born in Korkiri forest is a Korkiri (Saria). Anyone born in Gerudo Valley is considered a Gerudo (Ganondorf). It doesn't matter what skin colour they have as long as they are born in the region they are from, just like it is in real life regions I suppose.
      Except Impa is consistently said to be a Sheikah, not a Hylian. Nowhere is it stated either that she was born in Hyrule, just a resident of it. So you can't apply that to her.

Secondly, Gerudo Valley, Kokiri Forest, Death Mountain (Gorons), Kakariko Village (Sheikah), and Zora's Domain are all part of Hyrule kingdom and territory. The kingdom maps definitely show this.
    • Aurelia wrote:

Well, I like to think of it like this; anyone who is born in Hyrule, is considered Hylian (Link, Zelda, Impa). Anyone who is born in Korkiri forest is a Korkiri (Saria). Anyone born in Gerudo Valley is considered a Gerudo (Ganondorf). It doesn't matter what skin colour they have as long as they are born in the region they are from, just like it is in real life regions I suppose.
      That doesn't really fly with the Kokiri considering they aren't really human, they are forest spirits created by the Great Deku Tree that merely take the form of human children. So no, people born in the Kokiri Forest are not Kokiri, and never will be.

Location-birth-based naming seems like a bad idea for Zelda anyway, as if a Gerudo gives birth in Hyrule is her kid suddenly Hylian? I don't think so. Similarly, I highly doubt any non-Gerudo born in the desert would be called a Gerudo, simply because they are not.

A Gerudo born in Hyrule would probably be called Gerudo, or Gerudo-Hylian. A Hylian born in the desert would be killed because No Outsiders Allowed.

I break it down like this. Human is the species, with specific labels for different races of human, similar to our own but different, considering there are further degrees of separation between the different Zelda human races than there is with our races (this is particularly noticeable with the Gerudo). The races include the Hylians, Humans (yes, human is a race and the overall species), and the Gerudo. The Sheikah are sort of debatable and may just be a particular culture of Hylians instead of a race unto themselves. We might get more info about them in BotW.
      Display Spoiler

The Hylians have varying skin tones, heights, weights, etc and are generally indistinguishable from our own humans apart from their key trait - their pointed ears, which are suggested to be there in order to hear the voices of the deities. Ear length varies, but generally they are very long, especially among those with close connections to the Royal Family. Hylians also seem to have an affluence for magic.

Humans as a race are pretty much us - boring, useless, with no magical powers and no pointy ears to listen to the gods. They are otherwise indistinguishable from Hylians. I had to make the distinction between them (and species) once non-pointy-eared people started showing up in the games, and "human" as a label started becoming more common than "hylian". It just bugs me to call Link human instead of Hylian.

The Gerudo are the most distinct of the races of human, with their skintone noticeably darker on average, large noses, natural flaming red hair, rounded ears, and an eye color that generally ranges from brown to gold. This is already enough to consider them separately from Hylians and Humans, but they also have another, huge, defining trait - the Male-to-Female ratio is almost exclusively Female, which is completely different from Humans and Hylians. If we take their lore at face value, males are only born once every 100 years, either due to magic or the magic of genetics. Or magic genetics. Despite this problem, the Gerudo still exist with their distinct traits without any signs of inbreeding issues or hybridism from reproducing with Humans and Hylians.

At the very least, being Gerudo and being Hylian(Human/Sheikan) is not based on the location of birth since they are way too distinct. Hylians, Humans, Sheikans may be determined based on location, however. And the Kokiri don't factor in at all since they're forest spirits.

"FUCK YOU NINTENDO" by Topaz Mutiny

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3

The post was edited 2 times, last by Topaz Mutiny ().