Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Netflix Thread: What are you watching?
    • I have watched the Star Wars trilogy on Netflix PS4 streaming service. ... Which one, you say? Oh you and your fanciful imagination. It would be cool if there were more than three, but that would require me to acknowledge that Episode II exists.

Yep, that's a mighty fine three Star Wars movies. (I mean, I haven't seen the new ones. I'll get around to it eventually. It's going to take me another five years or so to accept that killing the Emperor and blowing up second Death Star did not automatically solve all of the Galaxy's problems.)
      :cookiemonster:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person: correction to avoid giving Netflix users false hope ().

• Moriquendi wrote:

So "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" came out today!
      In honour of my love of all Things Halloween and of Salem in particular, I have watched three episodes. I do believe I'll continue watching :)

I do believe it will be extra fun for those of you fighting the white patriarchy.
      From reading about it I can tell I'm not interested for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that Salem doesn't talk. Come on, people!

Anyway, I've been rewatching a lot of Star Trek lately, particularly Deep Space Nine. It had been over a year since I'd watched much Star Trek, and it's been like taking a nice, hot bath, or sleeping in on a cold morning. It's nice to watch something that isn't dark and cynical.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • Vulpes wrote:

Moriquendi wrote:

So "Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" came out today!
      In honour of my love of all Things Halloween and of Salem in particular, I have watched three episodes. I do believe I'll continue watching :)

I do believe it will be extra fun for those of you fighting the white patriarchy.
      From reading about it I can tell I'm not interested for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that Salem doesn't talk. Come on, people!
      Yes, that was rather sad. I'm hoping for some of his personality to shine through, but we shall see.

@Winnie ^^

May your deeds live on in song

The post was edited 1 time, last by Moriquendi ().

• I binged through Season 2 of Castlevania this weekend. Konami may be doing everything in their power to kill that franchise, but Netflix is making sure it lives on. I was blown away by how good this second season was. The writing and the animation are seriously impressive.

I'm published! Check out -
      THE LEGEND OF LIGHT
      Book One, The Echoes of Light, available in Paperback and on Kindle - Book 2 out late 2018
      Read the first five chapters for free
    • Netflix's kids section just released like 2 or 3 new seasons of Octonauts. It's this cute little kids show that my husband describes as "somebody's toy box went on an undersea adventure", and kids learn about real animals. My son loves it, especially for the cute "Creature Report" song at the end of each episode, so we had a bit of a marathon over the weekend :)

The new She Ra series has been postponed until November. I thought for sure it was supposed to come out in mid October. Oh well.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?
    • GregariousTree wrote:

comicbook.com/gaming/2018/10/3…ndo-castlevania-producer/

Wow. If this ends up being true, then I'm super excited. Time for a second stab at it, I'd say.

Wasn't there talks of a Netflix Zelda series before? Guess that's being resurrected depending on how it goes.
    • The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! is so weird to me. Not the animated portions, those are fairly standard "adaptational children's cartoon". No, it's the live-action portions that are weird. A sitcom (complete with laugh track, at least on occasion) with Mario and Luigi living in a basement apartment in Brooklyn is bizarre enough, but then you get plots like Mario and Luigi teaching Mikhail Gorbachev, General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, how to make pizza, or getting martial arts advice from a ethereal floating head.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • Moriquendi wrote:

Jehanne wrote:

I watched Sabrina in two sittings.

:3

Can't wait for the second season.
      I do think that the rating should be ... older?
      There's a bit of gruesomeness and content that is prob above TV-14.
      I finished it yesterday!
      Loved the ending. I was a bit surprised at some of the things happening as well xD
      In critique, folks often talk about "character development," and I think this show demonstrates what a difference it can really make.

:v:

My favorite character is played by Michelle Gomez (the Mistress from Dr. Who!)

• BoJack is safe from the current Netflix cullings! Hooray!

I watched the first episode of Sabrina. It was pretty alright, I like Kiernan Shipka a lot and she was good in it. It's got style out the butt, though maybe a bit too much for my tastes (the insane shallowness of so many of the shots was distracting, everything felt compressed and not in a evocative kind of way). Probably won't really watch anymore for the time being, just didn't fall into what I'm looking for in my tv watching right now.
    • This is why Nintendo dragged their feet about getting Youtube on Switch. They didn't want the truth contained within this video to be seen by Nintendo fans.

Props to Normogatari for blowing the lid off this agenda. (In general, Gaming Historian is kind of fun. It's been my Youtube show of choice for the past week or so.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person ().

• Vulpes wrote:

The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! is so weird to me. Not the animated portions, those are fairly standard "adaptational children's cartoon". No, it's the live-action portions that are weird. A sitcom (complete with laugh track, at least on occasion) with Mario and Luigi living in a basement apartment in Brooklyn is bizarre enough, but then you get plots like Mario and Luigi teaching Mikhail Gorbachev, General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, how to make pizza, or getting martial arts advice from a ethereal floating head.
      You just make me want to watch it even more
      I AM TAKANUVA, TOA OF LIGHT!

You'll be hearing my name someday, whenever people talk about heroes - Takua!
    • So the new She-Ra series is out now, and I'm loving it so far!

I was wary at first, since I'm a fan of the orignal and I didn't want it to be yet another screwed up remake. However, I actually think this series has done most things better than the original 80s 20 minute toy commercial.

I'm about 6 episodes in so far, and here's what I think of it.

Display Spoiler
      Adora is actually conflicted about leaving the Horde, and takes some time to get used to the Rebellion. She has quite a few issues with culture shock. Likewise, the Rebels don't trust her immediately.

Catra no longer has an annoying voice, and has a real relationship with Adora. They were both wards of Shadow Weaver, so they're practically sisters. She takes Adora leaving hard. She actually reminds me quite a bit of Envy from Full Metal Alchemist

Glimmer, Bow, and other supporting characters now have actual personalities. Bow in particular reminds me of Sokka in Avatar: The Last Airbender in how he deals with being the "normal guy" in a world full of Princesses, which in this version basically equals Magical Girl.

Madam Razz is a crazy old lady in the woods who talks to her broom (which doesn't talk back), but is a secret badass!

The cheesier characters from the old series, Kowl and Lookie, are regulated to cameos (i.e. a Kowl plushie in Glimmer's room) and just a mention.

The Horde characters likewise are more fleshed out and seem like actual people, especially Adora's former squadmates. Maybe this series will actually show the war as having two sides with two viewpoints, as opposed to the simple good vs evil story of the original.

Hordak is sparingly used, so he has a much more menacing feel, especially compared to the original's typical 80s incompetent cartoon villain.

Light Hope has an actual form! I'm looking forward to seeing how she will fit into things.

He-Man and his side of things have barely been mentioned -- just in a few references to Eternia and the phrase "For the Honour of Grayskull". She-Ra thus has a chance to really become its own world, as opposed to just "He-Man for Girls"

There seems to be an overarching story about Adora discovering her past and learning about her powers slowly, as opposed to having it all come to her right away.

Honestly, as much as I love the original and always will, the only thing it did better than the new series was the delightfully 80s synth music. It's going to take a lot of effort on my part to actually wait for my husband to join me so we can watch the rest of the series together! I'm tempted to just binge watch the whole thing by myself.

BTW, the original series, and He-Man, are also on Netflix, in case anyone needs a refresher before enjoying the new series.

BotW Zelda in her purple Hylian Tunic, by my husband, DarkSilver.

"Breath of the Wild: "Zelda's Redemption" Chapter 3 now up!

After Calamity Ganon's defeat, a devastated Zelda must come to terms with her ruined kingdom, dead friends, and the resentment of the Hero who had saved her, but lost his fiancee. When all hope seems lost, she comes across a legend of a holy relic that can set things right, if she can find the ancient keys to access it. With the help of new friends, and without Link, can Zelda finally become a legend, on her own terms?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Violetlight ().

• I just watched Revenge of the Sith again. I haven't seen it in probably ten years. I didn't really process the whole 'Anakin killed children' thing until now. ... What a cheap way to cast him as the bad guy! But it's the only way the story they're trying to tell makes sense. Just imagine his talking with Padme if he hadn't slaughtered a few toddlers before coming over.

Anakin: "The Jedi have betrayed the Republic."
      Padme: "What? That can't be true."
      Anakin: "Yep. Mace Windu was going to murder Palpatine in cold blood. He let his fear of Palpatine standing trial lead him to anger. That's not the Jedi way. I had to stop him."
      Padme: "... ok. So you killed him?"
      Anakin: "I didn't want to, but I didn't have a choice."

And then later, Obi Wan tells Padme, "But Anakin has... not helped us overthrow the government!"

At this point Padme determines the Jedi are anti-government religious extremists and turns to the Dark Side. Together, she and Anakin overtrhrow Palpatine and the rule galaxy as husband and wife.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Happy Person ().