Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Normal
    50 Things I Wish I Had Known Before College
    • If you're in high school
      • Try to get 550+ on the math SAT score to avoid 2 remedial math courses.
      • Visit at least 3 college campuses.
      Are you ready for college?
      • Go because you want to go. Not because society expects you to.
      • If you're emotionally immature, wait a few years before going.
      • If you have severe mental illnesses, treat them before going.
      • If academics is your passion, don't settle for a trade school.
      • If college isn't working out well for you, don't be afraid to drop out and cut your losses.
      Finances
      • Don't go into a great school that you cannot afford.
      • A decent tuition-free university is better than a great expensive university.
      • Take university-accepted classes in a community college first, if you can.
      • Get your textbooks used or try to find them for free digitally.
      Major
      • Select a practical major that will help you in the job market.
      • You can just learn the fun subjects for free online or at the library.
      • Go on the campus webpage of majors list and narrow it down to 10.
      • Research each of those majors for their pros and cons.
      • Don't pick a major you don't like just because it pays well.
      • High salary in a field doesn't matter if the growth-rate is low.
      Selecting Classes
      • If you're not working, 15 credits per semester is ideal.
      • Ratemyprofessor.com is helpful, but don't take any review as scripture.
      • Don't only pick easy classes. They will make you lazy and complacent.
      • On the other hand, don't take more than 1 super-hard class per semester.
      • Try to take classes about foreign cultures/history/politics rather than your own country's.
      • Try to take classes that meet both major prerequisties and gen end prerequisites.
      • Balance your course load between major/minor and gen ed classes.
      Note Taking
      • If you procrastinate easily, don't take notes on laptop/tablet.
      • Try to break your notes up into small chunks and bulletpoints.
      Time Management
      • Having too much free time in your schedule can make you lazy.
      • Rule of 4: Study 4 days a week. Don't study over 4 hours in a day.
      • Do small homework assignments right after you get out of class.
      • Break a major assignment, like a research paper, into 20 small chunks.

Professors

• Talk to them briefly after each class. Ask them about their career.
      • Visit their office every so often and ask them questions.
      • Sit near the front of the class
      • Frequently participate in class discussions
      • Ask for a letter of recommendation at the end of the semester.
      • If their political bias annoys you, do the following (a) excel in the class and (b) disagree with them politely.

Social Life
      • Commuters need to put in twice as much effort to make friends than dormers.
      • Try going to a meeting of clubs/organizations you haven't tried before.
      • Approach random people (who don't look too busy) and start conversations.
      • 90% of acquaintances you meet you won't see again after a few months. It's life.
      • Don't take rejection personally. Many people are too busy to make friends.
      • Try to make friends with the older people (age 30+). Don't assume they don't want to meet you.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Inverted ().

• I love this thread! I'd say definitely study abroad or pick clubs where you go abroad. Oftentimes it's way cheaper than going abroad by yourself, and sometimes you can get scholarships for it.

Always be friendly to people because you never know who is going to end up going places.

Plan out your schedule so you graduate on time. And if you plan it right you can even do a double major without taking any more classes than you normally would.

If you know you're going to grad school, save your $ by going to a state school or cheaper school in undergrad. Save the big name school for grad school.

SHOP AROUND. Compare scholarships. For my grad school I called them up and said another school was giving me more $, so they upped the scholarship. Treat it almost like shopping for a car. If you have a high GPA and they accept anyone with a 3.0 make them roll out the carpet for you. And if you get a crappy financial aid person, call back and get a different one.
    • -Chill. Nothing is ever the end of the world.

I see many people, college students especially, get crippled by failure or even the fear of failure. A sense of urgency is great, but realize any major f*** up you have can be fixed or moved passed. Failed classes can be made up or maneuvered around. You can still get a good job if college just wasn't for you or if you have a few bad marks on your resume. Degrees are to get a foot in the door, but there is more than one way to get that door open.

Go in with the mindset that you're going to complete college because it will add tools to your toolbelt whether through actual skills or certifications or even through more indirect skills, not because it's the thing to do.

-Be willing to break the mold according to what you want to do with your life.

This isn't for everyone since some people need structure. But be willing to break away from the "ideal" path your parents/elders want and be willing to tell your friends to f*** off when they suggest following your passions in some fairy tale manner. Yes, find what your passionate about and find out why you're passionate about those things. Then take the why and monetize the f*** out of it.

I do this for myself. One of my most recent discoveries of myself is my love for process control. Guess what this stemmed from?

-Gaming: I loved RTS's growing up. Even FPS types, I prefer games I can implement strategy in both an overview and then precise moves. (Battlefield series, Rainbow Six, etc)

-Friendships: I like helping my friends out of tough situations. I like knowing how they're all interacting with each other and figuring out how to solve arguments they have. Yes, I think their reasons are stupid as f*** many times, but I liked the whole mechanism.

-Investing/Daytrading: My current moneymaker which stemmed from its own "mold-breaking". I love having to quickly interpret overall market trends at different levels and then making precise trades.

-Driving. Driving relaxes the hell out of me, but I also like exporing everything around me and knowing how to get everywhere quickly.

The trend is that I like controlling and manipulating entire processes. What I didn't mention is that I also like seeing the results of my work: Winning in games, friends getting along, making money, and being relaxed as I learn more ways around my environment.

So what am I currently doing with that information about myself: Along with building up my Lean Six certifications (provided by the college I got my degree from), I've also begun volunteer consulting for small businesses in my area. Eventually, I'll begin charging once I've built up my portfolio.

-----

This comes back to college and my point that you need to make college be a tool for yourself and figure out how to leverage it to your life. For people who prefer structure, it's getting a degree that will get a decent job with a livable wage. That's perfectly ok. For others, it may be getting a degree just to have it as a fallback to finance your pursuits, but then picking up bits and pieces of different college courses that will help you make money in a way you create yourself.

I don't practice Neuropsychology as a living. That piece of paper helps me get a traditional job if I need it. The knowledge I took away helps me connect with a variety of different people and create potential resources and other things relating to human interaction...because ya know...I know how their brain works yo.

Kind of a ramble, but maybe it'll help some peeps trying to figure things out for themselved. By no means am I giving you an excuse to drop out of college to "break the mold".

Which brings me to one more recommendation

-Don't be a Dumbass
      Have a plan for whatever you do and make heavy use of common sense.
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19