Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Discussion
    Keyboard Ninja Warrior Dojo
    • So, I'm about to start writing my response to Lu in our debate but before I do I just want to note something.

I've been arguing on the internet for 15 years or so, and whether the medium was message board or blog, whether the tone was friendly or contentious, whether the subject in question was life-or-death or just life-or-death, there's always been this rhythm to the process. A post goes up and you have a relatively brief window - maybe 24 hours,k if your lucky, but occasionally as little as 1 or 2 - in which to reply if you have any hope of being current. The posts, accordingly, can't help but be a little knee jerk and often miss the nuances of the argument presented by the opposing side.

That I've had a couple of days to turn Lu's post over in my head, digest it, and slowly begin to envision my reply has been a markedly different experience, both in how I've read "the other guy's" posts and how I've thought about my own, and I really recommend giving it a shot.
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens
    • Our first Answers thread has come to a close and we'd love some feedback. DId the format work? What could be done better? What should the next question be? And, of course, since we're Ninja Warriors, which provided answer was most informative ^^
      ~~~
      Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
      ~~~

• It's strategically interesting , too, to figure out how you're going to fit an argument into 7 posts. Today I was definitely just buying time while I put my next essay-length post together cause it looks like we can afford a "smaller" post or two.

Point is, folks, we should really try to get another one of these going ^^
      ~~~
      ~~~

• my last post to Foo took me about three days of research and around 3~4 hours of writing today compiling that

it is actually a good substitute for university lol. when i finish uni each semester i get so bored and mopey that i don't have any assignments to research and write/focus on since i genuinely love writing essays, this is a goooooooood and very fun distraction, probably the pinnacle of SD for me so far

i want to spectate some :mob:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lucretia ().

• For anyone on the site, these are positions I hold that I'm open for debate on:

• Refusing to vote for a lesser-evil is counter-productive
      • Alcohol is more dangerous than most illegal drugs
      • Junk food should be regulated like cigarettes
      • Eating animals is comparably bad to slavery
      • Negative Income tax is the best tax code
      • Donald trump will likely win re-election
      • White privilege does often exist in America
      • Government role in education has largely hurt students
      • Homophobia mostly exists because of religion
      • Women inherently have an advantage in dating & relationships
      • Democrats should not nominate a progressive in 2020
      • Buddhism fundamentally promotes self-suppression
      • A high speed rail system is superior to driving cars

The post was edited 1 time, last by Inverted ().

• agree
      • agree
      • disagree
      • i wouldn't go that far
      • i don't know shit about taxes
      • god i hope not but i'm cynical enough it wouldn't surprise me
      • america was founded on white privilege and it's still going strong
      • i don't know about that
      • i'd say homophobia existed before religion and that's why people put it in their religions but they're doing a great job keeping that flame alive
      • ehhhhhhhhhhh
      • meh
      • well i mean isn't that the premise i'm not sure how that's a debate
      • absolutely

pronouns: it/its or squi/squir
      ask me about my LGBTA+ and nonbinary Discord servers.
    • i am currently reading a book titled: Contingency, Hegemony, Universality: Contemporary Dialogues on the Left which is co-authored by Judith Butler, Ernesto Laclau and Slavoj Zizek.

It has a very interesting structure, unlike that of a debate, but instead more of a dialogic interrogation of each of the academics.

The structure is like this:

Three authors all post between 6-10 questions that they would like to have answered or explored within the dialogue. The authors then take turns writing essays to each other from their intellectual perspectives.

So:
      • Post 1: Questions from Speaker 1
      • Post 2: Questions from Speaker 2
      • Post 3: Questions from Speaker 3
      • Post 4: Speaker 1, puts out their point of view in relation to the questions
      • Post 5: Speaker 2, puts out their point of view in relation to the questions
      • Post 6: Speaker 3, puts out their point of view in relation to the questions
      • Post 7: Speaker 1 responds to Speaker 2's post
      • Post 8: Speaker 2 responds to Speaker 3's post
      • Post 9: Speaker 3 responds to Speaker 1's post
      • Post 10: Speaker 1 responds to Speaker 3's post
      • Post 11: Speaker 2 responds to Speaker 1's post
      • Post 12: Speaker 3 responds to Speaker 2's post

In this format, unlike a debate in which people are actively trying to "defeat" the other party, we can attempt to better understand our colleague's theory, point of view, or values. Each person is able to write a simple post explaining their position, then respond to the other two, and in return each person receives two posts.

There is no real back and forth after that. The dialogue is finished and we all have a great day. We can structure this to be broadly themed if we want, or just a free-for-all dialogue. The best thing is, that you can broadly take people who come from the same side, or political values, but discuss disagreements in a way that need not be antagonistic or designed to "defeat" like formal debates.

Would anyone be interested in this format of dialogue? It may held if the mods are willing to do a bit of behind the scenes organising as well. Thoughts? We can change the format as well if necessary.

I would encourage anyone who reads a lot of SD but rarely posts to get involved as this will be intended as a very amicable and friendly experience unlike the debates.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Lucretia ().