Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    |OT| Minecraft Thread IX: Now With More Cowbell... Er, Giants!
    • Well after 26 pages, 513 posts, and 3 years, we have started a new thread. Though Minecraft hasn't been as popular around here sine the beginnings of that thread, the server (formerly known as the "ZU Minecraft Server") is still running to this day. Improvements have been made, worlds have come and gone, and we're seeing new faces consistently coming back. So let's get down to business

Note: All the information contained within this post can be found on my website: direct.kylemc.net

General Information

So you wanna play on the Minecraft server, huh? Well first you're gonna need some connection information and rules to follow.

IP: direct.kylemc.net (or if you want to get technical: 216.224.167.187)
      Port: 25565 (you shouldn't have to worry about this if you didn't go messing with your MC client)

Just plug that IP into your MC client, and hit connect, and voila, you're in (well, so long as you aren't banned, the server isn't down, server isn't under maintenance...)

We also have a map that you can go visit and watch other players, or just look at all that has been built/explored. To see that go to direct.kylemc.net/map

Now we over here on the Minecraft server have some rigid rules that you must follow. Failure to do so may result in kicks, temp bans, or even perma bans. Below you'll find the rules:

1. Don't be a dick

Why just one rule you ask? Well we feel that "Don't be a dick" sums up most of the oft repeated (and common sense rules). Some of these things include:

1. Keeping foul language toned down (This is a family friendly server)
      2. Do not antagonize (aka, annoy) other players
      3. Do not purposefully kill other players (except in the PVP world)
      4. Do not grief, steal, or overall be a jerk.

And the list goes on. As we in the programming business like to say "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live". So yeah, treat everything in the world like that. Be good, follow the rules and everything will go smooth.

Next we'll talk about the worlds

Worlds

We have a multitude of worlds that you can explore and enjoy. Below I'll go over what each one is about.

Tanith:

This is the default world you will spawn into. Tanith has been around for, I don't even know how long at this point. This is the world you will see most members playing on.

Old:

This world was the very first world that was made in this server, way back in alpha. Here we do allow Creative Mode, as there are lots of art pieces and fantastic structures. Anyone from the olden days can go here and be filled with nostalgia. Anyone new can see how we oldies roughed it in the early game.

Temp:

This world is volatile. By that I mean, it may go away today, may go away tomorrow, or possibly never. The main catalyst for replacing Temp is a major MC update. So if there's something large, expect to see a completely new Temp world.

PVP:

This world is made for PVP. Every other world is PVE only. Anything goes in this world. Griefing, stealing, killing, you name it. This world is not moderated, and operators will *NOT* moderate the actions of players in this world (except for obvious things like duping/cheating)

Hyrule:

This world contains the halfly recreated Hyrule from Ocarina of Time. The main builder was Tirenoth who has sadly not been seen for a long time, and so progress has been halted (last place he started working on was the entrance to Gerudo Valley).

Next we'll talk about the ranking system

Ranks

On our server, we have a ranking system. There's no set terms to when you will go up a rank, and please don't pester the mods or the thread with requests. For each rank, I've listed the official name, what you'll see in game denoting the rank (will appear next to your name in chat), and the explanation of that rank:

Guest [G]:

Guests are the initial rank. Since the server is public, that means anyone around the world can join. Guests are restricted to only being able to build/interact/play (basically) in the PVP and Temp worlds.

Member [M]:

Members are players who have either been on the server a while, or are ZU members (note: if you join ZU just to become a member, we will not promote you from guest to member). Members are able to build in all worlds.

Veteran [V]:

Veteran players are players who have been around a long time. Most of those you see on the server have been around since the beta, or early release. They are much like Members, but have the ability to teleport to others.

Op [O]:

Ops are the enforcers. They are there, not only to play, but also to be sure that everyone is playing nicely. They are the ones who handle complaints and deal with any problems you may be having. If you have any concerns, direct your questions to them. Ops include: Sundav, quicksilver20, and Melpy. We are looking at adding another op who can help Sundav (since he's the most active of the ops)

Admin [A]:

Admins are even higher than Ops. These are the people I have put trust in that can access the internal workings of the server. If you feel there's a problem that the Ops cannot solve, please contact them. Currently we have one admin: Tirenoth

Owner [Owner]:

I am the owner of the server. While I like to take into consideration what everyone wants, ultimately what I say goes (especially since I'm the one paying for it). I can fill in for Op and Admin when I'm around, and I do pretty much check the logs every day. If there is anything urgent that you can't get help for. please put it in all caps. Please *do not* spam it, just once is enough. Do know that your issue won't be resolved by me anywhere from 11 pm to 7 pm CST (I have to sleep and work), so please be patient.

Well, I think that's enough for now. As noted before, you can find all this information on my website direct.kylemc.net. If you have any questions feel free to let me know. So get out there and have fun!

TL;DR - IP: direct.kylemc.net, don't be a dick, have fun.

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"]
      Hosting a vanilla server at: direct.kylemc.net
      Dynmap at: kylemc.net/map[/SIZE][/FONT]

The post was edited 2 times, last by ERROR372 ().

• So you just want air pockets? I can see it happening with a roof section to stop above water and use temporary blocks to make the bottom.

Like this:
      "Legend"
      _ -> Water
      O -> Roof
      X -> Air
      ^ -> Temporary block

__OOO__
      -OXXXO-
      -XXXXX-
      -XXXXX-
      --XXX--
      -^---^-
      --^^^--

And then just break the temporary blocks.
    • If anyone is looking for a good seed, I discovered this one earlier: 876383692074471282

You start with a village almost in sight of your spawn and very close by to that village are two desert temples and second village! 8D

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Michael wrote:

Wow, so I decided to visit the server for nostalgic purposes but I'm stuck in some void. Is there a command I can use to kill myself or rest?
      You could use /warp. Just put an available location name after it (eg. rapture, tanith, ps), and you'll go to that location. I suspect that isn't actually your problem, but hopefully it helps regardless.

Or if you'd rather actually die, I vaguely recall /kill used to be a thing? Not sure if it still is, or whether it's usable on the server. There's also probably something like /spawn, but that has the same effect as /warp, when it comes down to it.