Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Policy
    Cameos in Articles
    • Should we include cameos in articles? 12
        Yes, I support this new policy. (11) 92%
        No, I oppose this new policy. (1) 8%
      I would like to propose a shift in policy concerning our approach to covering Zelda-related information (cameos) from non-Zelda games.

Here's some background information on how we manage this information now:
      Unless it concerns the Smash games, we do not cover information on articles for Zelda cameos and appearances from non-Zelda games. Instead, we have this page as the catch-all coverage. The general reasoning is that, unless it was conceived with Zelda in mind, it doesn't have a place on the mainspace.

For example, if people want to know what's up with Toon Link in Monster Hunter X, they'll have to make their way to that cameo page, rather than find the information on the Toon Link page. If someone were to try to add this information to the Toon Link page, we would have to remove it and direct them to the cameo page. I think Toon Link, in particular, shows how this present policy is ridiculous, as he is a character that has only existent in non-canon material, such as Hyrule Warriors and the Smash games. To permit some forms of non-main series content (from Nintendo) but reject others doesn't sound like fair coverage.

I believe someone looking for information should find it in the place most related to that subject. The aforementioned Toon Link example happened back in late May, and in following present policy, I had to remove it. I have to admit that we haven't been entirely consistent about this policy, so it would be best if we shifted it to include cameo coverage. Note, of course, I'm not calling for covering whole games themselves, simply the Zelda-related content on the appropriate pages.

What this would change:
      We would begin implementing content from the Cameos page, though that page will still exist as a general repository of all instances.

So what do you think? Should we change, or stay the same? Should we implement an alternative strategy?

----------

This discussion will be open for two weeks. Once one week has passed a poll will be added. This poll will be open for one week, at which point whether it has passed or not will be decided. All actions will take place at midnight, eastern time.
    • Tony wrote:

I think Toon Link, in particular, shows how this present policy is ridiculous, as he is a character that has only existent in non-canon material, such as Hyrule Warriors and the Smash games.
      I can tell that people are going to get very confused by this sentence.

To provide some context: Link in TWW, FS, FSA, PH, so on, is not called "Toon Link". He is just called Link in those games. The name "Toon Link" is only ever used in games such as SSB and HW, which is why Toon Link receives his own page separate from the main Link article. The same also applies to "Young Link" - that is a name only used in those non-canon titles.
    • To begin, I just want to say that I am a super-fan of the way this wiki is handled, and I like the way it is managed and curated. But being a super-fan brings forth my argument for cameos: if you don't make room for these interesting bits of trivia in the main space, and/or have a comprehensive hyperlink map to allow even the newest visitor to view them; how can you call yourself a true Zelda fan? Trivia and cameos show the length and breadth of the Zelda community; and not only does it reinforce your own sense of belonging to something alive and multi-faceted, but it also deepens your own fan appreciation, while guiding those that may not have had the opportunity to partake in the more esoteric tidbits to joining you in how complex and how widely-influencing the community is.

Besides.... you guys need something to do until Breath of the Wild comes out. :DD
    • I like the idea of including so-called cameo appearances on the relevant wiki pages. I certainly think that if a characters or objects appears in another Nintendo game, that should be noted on the character or object's page.

In the particular case of Link, while we would theoretically put the info on the Link/Other Appearances page, the sheer number of his cameos makes me think it would be better to create a separate page just for Link's so-called cameo appearances in Nintendo media.

Chuck wrote:

Due to the sheer amount of cameos that the Zelda series have, I would suggest including only cameos where the subject actually appears, like the Keese in Mario Kart 8 and Sonic Lost World, rather than just allusions to it, like Fi's mask or Link's clothes in Animal Crossing. Those can stay in the cameos page, especially since we even have a template for that.
      Eh, I feel link a mask in the shape of your face is good enough to count as an appearance of that character such that it belongs on their page.

If it's a character's weapon or clothing, that can go on the page for that weapon of clothing if we have one, but it probably doesn't belong on the character's page. Of course, the appearance of Link's clothes would go on the page we have for Link's clothes.
    • SnorlaxMonster wrote:

In the particular case of Link, while we would theoretically put the info on the Link/Other Appearances page, the sheer number of his cameos makes me think it would be better to create a separate page just for Link's so-called cameo appearances in Nintendo media.
      Incidentally, that entire page pretty much needs a wide-scale clean up if not outright split. It's already quite massive on its own, though I suppose nowhere near as the main Link page. Zelda and Ganon's Other Appearances also suffers.

Good points to bring up though. I hadn't actually considered those pages, and I'm a little less inclined for there to be cameo sections on those pages unless there is a split.
    • First, objects. I feel that if there is a preexisting page for a given object on the Wiki itself, and there is not much to say about said object, then that info should be added to the trivia section, but if there is no preexisting page, it should be added to an Other Appearances (Objects) page. So for example, since there's already a Master Sword page, the "cameo" in Soul Calibur II could be added to that page's trivia section, also since all that could really be said about it is "The Master Sword is Link's default weapon in Soul Calibur II". However, if there wasn't already such a page, the same info could be added to an Other Appearances (Objects) page since there's no point in creating a whole new page just for that measly scrap of information.

Second, characters. Again, if there is a preexisting page dedicated to a given character, and there's very little info to provide for them, enter them into the trivia section. And if there isn't a page, put them in an Other Appearances (People) or Other Appearances (Characters) page.

Now if there is a lot to say about a given object or character, as is often the case with Link, they should definitely have their own page, like if there was a lot of info on Link's clothes in Animal Crossing or if Malon showed up somewhere. If that's the case then you shouldn't hesitate to create a "cameo" page just for them.

I'd like to add as well that if there is already a more in-depth article about a given object or character on another wiki, like there probably is for the Master Sword in SCII, a simple link to that page is all we should provide, beyond perhaps a trivia addition, whether in a disambiguation page or not.