Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    General Gaming Arcadia 2020: The Silver Age of Gaming is just beginning
    • Please Understand wrote:

But how long is it going to last? And is the revenue any good compared to a real game? Can they even repeat this success with something else? Only time will show.
      My guess is right now it's running on nostalgia and people waiting for the legendaries, but by the time those rose-tinted glasses fall off the game will have improved and have more features added. and more pokemon. theoretically.

and revenue? I see a ton of lures every day, which of course means people are spending money to buy those lures. And every Sunday at the lake, someone with mad cash sets up a double-lure (the nickname I give to an area you can activate two Pokestops at once and both have the lure augmentation) and sustains it for hours. Just have a swarm of people at that spot every Sunday, it's nuts.

And my friend admitted to me that she buys herself a lot of iTunes giftcards... which then gets spent on the game.

Khao wrote:

Just started playing Sonic Adventure for the first time.

Will I get a lot of hate if I say that I don't see how it's any better than current 3D Sonic games? Stages seem to be a bit more open (I think?) but it just doesn't feel all that great to control. I do appreciate how there's actually a little bit of exploration instead of just being stage after stage after stage though, that actually surprised me a bit.
      Nah, it's totally understandable from a Sonic fan's point of view. The game was flipping amazing for its time (particularly the cutscenes), but I don't see a lot of my fellow Sonic fans denying that is has aged HORRIBLY.

It was the first 3D Sonic game, at a time when Sega was still adjusting to the world of 3D (the Saturn was originally meant to be a super-powerful 2D console), and just like Mario 64 it comes with all of those new territory mistakes and awkwardness.

These days I more or less like the ideas and non-controller aspects the game had moreso than how it plays. And it still has my favorite voices for the characters (the sound of the voices, I mean) and my favorite Sonic tunes. And story. (and Chao Gardennnnnnnnnnnnnz)

I'd say you'd get hate if you said you didn't like the Chao Gardens, haha.
    • Topaz Mutiny wrote:

And it still has my favorite voices for the characters (the sound of the voices, I mean)
      I agree with everything but this. Sonic Adventure has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard out of a 2000-era video game, and a lot of them are just cringe-inducing. The characters never sound natural and the dialogue comes off as forced.

Not to mention, there's a lot of changed pieces of dialogue in different character scenarios that I thought was really unnecessary. Like Robotnik's "But it (the Egg Carrier) pales in comparison to Chaos!" being changed to "Beware, Chaos's true power is yet to be unleashed" in Knuckle's Scenario in the exact same scene. They didn't need to change that, that doesn't relate to the Egg Carrier.

When I played this game as a kid on PC, I thought it was spectacular then. Now whenever I look back at it, my opinion of it diminishes each time. It just hasn't aged very well, like you said.

Well, better than Sonic Xtreme I guess. That game was a disaster from the start. Hardly a Sonic game.
    • Topaz Mutiny wrote:

My guess is right now it's running on nostalgia and people waiting for the legendaries, but by the time those rose-tinted glasses fall off the game will have improved and have more features added. and more pokemon. theoretically.

and revenue? I see a ton of lures every day, which of course means people are spending money to buy those lures. And every Sunday at the lake, someone with mad cash sets up a double-lure (the nickname I give to an area you can activate two Pokestops at once and both have the lure augmentation) and sustains it for hours. Just have a swarm of people at that spot every Sunday, it's nuts.

And my friend admitted to me that she buys herself a lot of iTunes giftcards... which then gets spent on the game.
      I know the game makes some respectable dough right now, but I'm not so sure about its lasting appeal, and most importantly its lasting revenue potency. I think it might have already reached it's peak and it's only downhill from here. The thing with this sort of 'phenomenon' is that once it starts dying out, people will be less willing to buy lures as there won't be as many people actually interested in using them.

I suppose what I'm saying is that I think the game doesn't really have enough depth to engage people for a long period of time. Perhaps people are not looking for any more depth than this, though and will be happy to play it for years. I just don't see it lasting that long, though. No matter how many Pokemon they add, it's the first 151 that appeal to the biggest common denominator, but most importantly once the novelty wears off, it doesn't matter how many Pokemon there are to catch, people might be already tired of the concept.

I'm personally extremely surprised by the appeal of the game in the first place, though. I didn't think it would become so big. Maybe it will have more legs than I'm thinking, and maybe the updates they do will add the much needed depth to actually addict people for longer periods of time. With the current gameplay though, I could easily see people losing interest very quickly, because honestly there isn't much to it.

Moreover, I believe once people start dropping out, then it will be like a chain reaction. It's more similar to an MMO than... Candy Crush, as far as interest goes. The more people playing, the more people are actually joining and they are even enjoying it, but if their friends get bored and drop out, then they are not really having as much fun anymore, and they also drop out, then more and more people stop playing as their local community shrinks, and they also spend less as they don't find lures viable anymore.

It will be interesting to watch its growth or decline from now on, I think we have much to learn from it.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• I think the main reason why Go has gotten so big is not so much because of the Pokemon aspect, but because of the good experiences people have gotten out of it. On social media sites, I am hearing so many stories of people meeting new friends, finding and learning things about their community that they would have never discovered otherwise, and on a whole just had a good social experience. People would literally shout from their windows "Hey are you playing Pokemon?!!" It's more the social phenomenon that made the app so big and successful to begin with. Pokemon was just the appealing push.
    • It's a little bit of everything I'd imagine. Social games generally attract a lot of casual players. World of Warcraft, which is a fairly hardcore game in its core, just because of the social aspect had tonnes of players that have never even played a game before, and even more than definitely weren't really much into games yet got addicted to that one. Pokemon GO is similar in that regard.

However the fact that it became big with the media due to its nature as a "go outside and explore" nature, as well as being Pokemon which a lot of people have fond memories of definitely helps. Also, even people that don't care about Pokemon can't deny the appeal of the little monsters and are getting hooked for the first time now. Moreover, it definitely didn't hurt that people were looking for an excuse to exercise a bit and this is better than running around entirely aimlessly. It gamified walking better than any other app. I do respect it quite a bit for that.
    • Pietro wrote:

Just bought a circle pad pro on amazon, didn't think those things still existed.

I thought about buying a new 3DS briefly but decided against it. I don't care about better 3D, I don't care about amiibo functionality, the only new feature I care about is the dual pad aspect so I can play monster hunter and a few other games better and the pad on the circle pad pro looks better than that small nub thing.

Slightly better specs and better battery power would be nice, but not worth the 200$+.
      Honestly the best thing about the new 3ds is SNES games on the vc. Super Metroid on the go is all I ever wanted from the vc.
    • Sólsetur wrote:

@blackbird

Make sure try out the Abyss (my personal favorite) Zestiria! Both great Tales games
      I played Abyss after Symphonia and while it isn't bad, I thought it was insanely overrated by Tales fans. I liked Symphonia much more. It's fun until you know what happens, but the second one half of the game is a chore.
    • Sólsetur wrote:

@blackbird

Make sure try out the Abyss (my personal favorite) Zestiria! Both great Tales games
      I'm part-way through Zesteria (15 hours in) and I'm finding it hard to continue. I know, on a rational level, that there's a threat to the game world, but no one acts like it. There's no sense of urgency or purpose. At first I kinda liked that, the protagonist is laid-back without being lazy or clueless, he's just someone who finds joy in wandering around discovering stuff...but after a bit it starts grating, why should I care if no one in the game does?

That the battle system is weirdly shallow for a Tales game doesn't help.

It's a shame, because I genuinely like some of the characters, and there's a feeling that the plot has potential, but there doesn't seem to be any real attempt to really drive anything along. Characters wander with the hero...almost just 'cause, they have personal stories...that they don't really talk about, events happen...but I almost feel peripheral to them.

Oh, and I'm sure the motivations of the villain will be addressed (it is a Tales game, after all) but the fact that no one, not a one, has even ventured a guess as to what's driving him is really annoying. No one, no matter how street-smart or logical tries to figure out the motivations, goals, or strategy of the foe they're fighting. They just sorta wander around hoping to invoke a miracle. Perhaps that's part of the plot, with the lack of a plan coming back to bite them, but it just seems so...bizarre.

irg wrote:

blackbird wrote:

Also currently playing Metal Gear Rising. Getting pwned by monsoon.
      Do you know how to parry? Monsoon is definitely the point that it becomes vital.
      Nah, Robo-doge is where you need to master the parry, by Monsoon you should have it down pretty well.

Worth noting that EMP grenades really mess with Monsoon, IIRC.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Midoro wrote:

Topaz Mutiny wrote:

And it still has my favorite voices for the characters (the sound of the voices, I mean)
      I agree with everything but this. Sonic Adventure has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard out of a 2000-era video game, and a lot of them are just cringe-inducing. The characters never sound natural and the dialogue comes off as forced.
      Not to mention, there's a lot of changed pieces of dialogue in different character scenarios that I thought was really unnecessary. Like Robotnik's "But it (the Egg Carrier) pales in comparison to Chaos!" being changed to "Beware, Chaos's true power is yet to be unleashed" in Knuckle's Scenario in the exact same scene. They didn't need to change that, that doesn't relate to the Egg Carrier.

When I played this game as a kid on PC, I thought it was spectacular then. Now whenever I look back at it, my opinion of it diminishes each time. It just hasn't aged very well, like you said.

Well, better than Sonic Xtreme I guess. That game was a disaster from the start. Hardly a Sonic game.
      *sigh* This is why I said the sound of the voices. I wasn't talking about the acting at all, because no duh every Sonic game pre-Colors has cringe-inducing acting.

Especially this one, since they literally just threw these people in a sound booth and said "read this."

I'm saying I literally like the sound of those voices. Each voice is different and I like theirs, especially over the 4Kids actors, despite the 4kids actors being (slightly) better at acting. I hate Jason Griffith as Sonic (and Shadow, and Jet). Unleashed is my favorite Sonic game, but I will NEVER play it with the English VAs because no matter if he's a good actor I hate Griffith's Sonic. And Chip is nails on a chalkboard even though his acting is decent.

It's like how I love the sound of certain instruments even if I can't play them worth a damn.

And I quite liked the change in dialogue. Realistically they probably just used different takes and didn't care two hoots about consistency or quality, but despite that it gives a certain perspective to the whole thing. The story is being told by those characters, and people can hear things differently, interpret things differently, or are unreliable narrators. Makes it personal and unique.
    • Please Understand wrote:

Sólsetur wrote:

@blackbird

I played Abyss after Symphonia and while it isn't bad, I thought it was insanely overrated by Tales fans. I liked Symphonia much more. It's fun until you know what happens, but the second one half of the game is a chore.

Ehhhh, I don't really agree? I mean Abyss consistently gets good ratings by people, but generally the fanbase does prefer Symphonia over it much more. I wouldn't call that being overrated haha.

That said, I prefer it because I found it's world and plot more compelling, and the character development -- particularly in regards to the main character -- was much better than in Symphonia. I also never really found it a slog to get through, but eh. The pacing in the second half of the game was a bit awkward towards the end, I'll agree, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game.

Not saying I don't like Symphonia. It's a great game, with great characters, great music, a good plot. I just prefer multiple aspects of Abyss far more than that of Symphonia.

John wrote:

Sólsetur wrote:

@blackbird

I'm part-way through Zesteria (15 hours in) and I'm finding it hard to continue. I know, on a rational level, that there's a threat to the game world, but no one acts like it. There's no sense of urgency or purpose. At first I kinda liked that, the protagonist is laid-back without being lazy or clueless, he's just someone who finds joy in wandering around discovering stuff...but after a bit it starts grating, why should I care if no one in the game does?

That the battle system is weirdly shallow for a Tales game doesn't help.

It's a shame, because I genuinely like some of the characters, and there's a feeling that the plot has potential, but there doesn't seem to be any real attempt to really drive anything along. Characters wander with the hero...almost just 'cause, they have personal stories...that they don't really talk about, events happen...but I almost feel peripheral to them.

Oh, and I'm sure the motivations of the villain will be addressed (it is a Tales game, after all) but the fact that no one, not a one, has even ventured a guess as to what's driving him is really annoying. No one, no matter how street-smart or logical tries to figure out the motivations, goals, or strategy of the foe they're fighting. They just sorta wander around hoping to invoke a miracle. Perhaps that's part of the plot, with the lack of a plan coming back to bite them, but it just seems so...bizarre.

The battle system is weird, but I enjoyed it. It got the job done for me. As far as finding it hard to continue: You hit a rough patch around the 15 hour mark, yeah, but when the game kind of takes off the training wheels and let's you do your own thing, it gets a lot better.

That said, the plot isn't my favorite thing about the game. The main character's motivation gets explored, yeah, and everything gets fleshed out and becomes super-concise, but at the same time it's never truly compelling while you're actually doing it save for a few parts. At the same time, when it actually does become compelling, the game's pacing becomes a bit wonky (best way I can describe it without spoiling anything).

The best things about Zestiria is that it's somewhat open world, which is extremely enjoyable; there is tons of side content, some of which is actually worth it. I enjoyed the side content more than I enjoyed the base game. And the characters, while upbeat, also end up becoming the main thing which makes you like the game.

Display Spoiler

The characters in particular struggle with what you mention -- trying to remain up beat and happy all the time. This is because, as you probably know, negative emotions end up causing all the bad stuff that happens in this game. This is important! It humanizes them in a way that I think couldn't have been done otherwise. Their flaws are highlighted because they battle so hard to suppress them that it bubbles to the surface in subtle, yet compelling, ways. It's kind of impressive how the manage to give each character some depth.

Add to that something in particular that happens at the Wind Shrine, and.. it just becomes hard to keep grounded at that point. It's seriously impressive what they managed to do with their characters. It gets old and boring, and seems hard to go on, around the 15 hour mark but once you hit 20/25, everything starts to come together really nicely. Also, the sidequests really help in highlight why exactly they need to stay so up-beat.

Also I did like that, more so than any other Tales RPG save Xillia, this one legit feels like you're playing an anime. Nice way to escape in that way.
    • Sólsetur wrote:

@blackbird

I think I'll probably wait until zestiria is dirt cheap. Won't get it on PC because my computer would die trying to run that. As for abyss, the limited PS shop in au doesn't have it in the ps2 classics, nor is it on the au eshop for 3ds. So I'll have to skip that one.

irg wrote:

blackbird wrote:

Also currently playing Metal Gear Rising. Getting pwned by monsoon.
      Do you know how to parry? Monsoon is definitely the point that it becomes vital.
      I got past him, with the help of many nanopastes. Avoided using the emp on him even though i knew about it, but the nanopaste made it feel kinda cheap anyway. Action games are not my forte. But yeah, after many attempts i got better at parrying. Now I'm up to armstrong. My blademode game seems to be very poor, since the tanks have gotten me every single time. He's going to take a while.

JP the Neurotic wrote:

I just realized next wekk I'll be able to play Yakuza 5! IM SO EXCITED
      I just got a ps3 the other day, to go with the ps+ subscription i already had for ps4. After @insaney told me about the series I'm kind of hyped to try it out and see what the fuss is.
    • Topaz Mutiny wrote:

*sigh* This is why I said the sound of the voices. I wasn't talking about the acting at all, because no duh every Sonic game pre-Colors has cringe-inducing acting.
      Well honestly, the sound of their voices are no better either.

Deliverance is also part of the same package, so when you got voices that are at most only decent and lack natural speaking, it sounds very poor. Tikal was probably the worst of the cast, her voice is just very off-putting and incredibly annoying. I think the only voice I liked in the game was Robotnik's, but even then it wasn't spectacular and had its bad moments too.

I have only seen one dubbed episode of Sonic X and I don't remember it at all, so I don't have that to compare to. But I'm not comparing to the anime dub anyway.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Midoro ().

• Midoro wrote:

I think the only voice I liked in the game was Robotnik's, but even then it wasn't spectacular and had its bad moments too.

I have only seen one dubbed episode of Sonic X and I don't remember it at all, so I don't have that to compare to. But I'm not comparing to the anime dub anyway.

Deem Bistrow was a decent Eggman, and I would have been interested to see what he would have done post-Heroes if he hadn't died.

Every Sonic game since Shadow the Hedgehog in 2005 was voiced by the 4Kids crew until Sonic Colors in 2010, which is why I mentioned them and complained about how much they suck in Sonic Unleashed.

So if you've ever played or even listened to the voices from 2005 to 2010 it was the 4kids crew. For everything. Main games, spin offs, commercials, the works. You don't need to have watched the anime at all - they're called the 4Kids crew because that's where they came from.

After Deem Bistrow died they obviously needed a new voice for Eggman, and the anime was in its peak at the time so they decided to just hire all of them for the games. And nobody was happy about this because no one likes 4Kids.

Incidentally this is also when Knuckles' stupidity started to get flanderized.

"FUCK YOU NINTENDO" by Topaz Mutiny

Thanks to Sugarpoultry for the pretty sig! <3

The post was edited 3 times, last by Topaz Mutiny ().