Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    General Gaming Arcadia 2020: The Silver Age of Gaming is just beginning
    • insaney wrote:

This video has moved Ys VIII from my "Maybe" list to my "Must Get" list. I adore stuff like "split second parrying" or "split second dodging". I knew the game would have it but seeing it in motion is just great.

Ys games = much fun.

john_marston wrote:

@PU yeah I really don't have time to 100% games eigher. I have well over 100 physical games still to play. I think I did 100% some of the simpler Zeldas though, but just a few. I don't even want to imagine how boring 100%ing TP would be, all those poes.

I got around to playing Castlevania today, first time trying it. It's surprisingly fun, but holy shit is it cheap/hard at times! Medusa Heads, knock back, clunky controls; yuck. I'm now stuck at stage 13, can't beat Frankenstein and that monkey without losing my sanity. Im gonna google some tips and tricks for the game.
      Symphony of the Night is probably the best Castlevania game, and it's aged very well.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • ^ regardless of how the app itself does in the long term, I think that this is could change the way we interact with our phones and the perspective of how we can interact with apps. From all I've heard about it, Pokemon Go is a terrible app: it is a battery and data hog, it has incredibly poorly thought-out design (needing the app to be open to be alerted of Pokemon but conversely not to be open to ticker down on timers for items), poor introduction and poor servers. But it opens the door to having actual great applications and games which follow a similar path by being so widely registered in the public consciousness.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• John wrote:

insaney wrote:

This video has moved Ys VIII from my "Maybe" list to my "Must Get" list. I adore stuff like "split second parrying" or "split second dodging". I knew the game would have it but seeing it in motion is just great.

Ys games = much fun.

So tempted to get this game. Just because it looks good and I like a good JRPG. But ... I'm a bit ehhh about the difficulty. I hear Ys is a pretty unforgiving series and I get the feeling I would quickly give up if I hit a wall and there was no option for a lower difficulty :v: . I enjoy a little bit of a challenge but nothing on the higher end.

Avalanchemike wrote:

^ regardless of how the app itself does in the long term, I think that this is could change the way we interact with our phones and the perspective of how we can interact with apps. From all I've heard about it, Pokemon Go is a terrible app: it is a battery and data hog, it has incredibly poorly thought-out design (needing the app to be open to be alerted of Pokemon but conversely not to be open to ticker down on timers for items), poor introduction and poor servers. But it opens the door to having actual great applications and games which follow a similar path by being so widely registered in the public consciousness.
      Square Enix is developing Mobius Final Fantasy for Smartphones.

This game looks exceedingly good. This to me is the high end of smart-phone gaming. I mean, I'm not going to get it just because I don't think my phone could handle it. They've put a good team on its developing and it appears that they are going for as near to numbered title quality they can get for a free-to-play smart-phone app. Doubt it will be as successful as something like Pokemon GO, but yeah, it says something about the big players in the gaming industry. I think Square has also ported games like FF7 and maybe FF8 to ios/ android.
    • If Ys 8 is like most entries and especially its immediate predecessor, then you can stockpile healing items to easily cheese through bosses if really necessary. Nightmare is really the only difficulty that timing guards and dodges on attack patterns can significantly matter.

Also it's probably gonna be a year wait minimum for English release on that but let us pray anyway. Still just wanna know where XSEED is with that Xanadu Next on Steam.
    • Just started playing Sonic Adventure for the first time.

Will I get a lot of hate if I say that I don't see how it's any better than current 3D Sonic games? Stages seem to be a bit more open (I think?) but it just doesn't feel all that great to control. I do appreciate how there's actually a little bit of exploration instead of just being stage after stage after stage though, that actually surprised me a bit.
    • JP the Neurotic wrote:

Do any of you get into a mood where you're like" I have all these games I can play but I don't know what to play?"

That's how I feel right now.
      Yo.

john_marston wrote:

I got around to playing Castlevania today, first time trying it. It's surprisingly fun, but holy shit is it cheap/hard at times! Medusa Heads, knock back, clunky controls; yuck. I'm now stuck at stage 13, can't beat Frankenstein and that monkey without losing my sanity. Im gonna google some tips and tricks for the game.
      You must not have seen the Angry Video Game Nerd's videos about those games. As well as Egoraptor's.

Sólsetur wrote:

I have done 95% of the stuff you can do in the Ratchet and Clank remake. I didn't use a guide, either.

Fuck that game is so fun. I've beaten it four times.
      Damn straight! However, it is sort of starting to get monotomous for me.

Avalanchemike wrote:

^ regardless of how the app itself does in the long term, I think that this is could change the way we interact with our phones and the perspective of how we can interact with apps. From all I've heard about it, Pokemon Go is a terrible app: it is a battery and data hog, it has incredibly poorly thought-out design (needing the app to be open to be alerted of Pokemon but conversely not to be open to ticker down on timers for items), poor introduction and poor servers. But it opens the door to having actual great applications and games which follow a similar path by being so widely registered in the public consciousness.
      From what I heard, I've heard completely different to not so completely different things about it. Where I live, it's everywhere as well. Literally every single one of my co-workers is playing it. But from what I've seen, the servers aren't too bad and keeping the app on isn't a hassle either. And I haven't heard muc of it hoarding data. But then I again, I'm avoiding the app like the plague so I guess I can't say much.
    • Khao wrote:

Just started playing Sonic Adventure for the first time.

Will I get a lot of hate if I say that I don't see how it's any better than current 3D Sonic games? Stages seem to be a bit more open (I think?) but it just doesn't feel all that great to control. I do appreciate how there's actually a little bit of exploration instead of just being stage after stage after stage though, that actually surprised me a bit.
      It gets a lot of leeway on its faults because it was basically the first 3d sonic game and was nearly 20 years ago. It also didn't crash constantly or have minutes long loading screens. The side characters also weren't completely fucking annoying like Chip in Unleashed.
    • John wrote:

Symphony of the Night is probably the best Castlevania game, and it's aged very well.

I'm well aware. I own most of the good Castlevanias (1, IV, all the GBA ones, all the DS ones, Castlevania II Belmonts revenge, Bloodlines). Not SotN yet, since it usually goes for over €100, and I'm a purist and want the physical PS1 version.

I just have a huge backlog. I own all the main Final Fantasy games and the Tactitcs spin-offs for example, yet haven't played a single one yet.

Keyaki wrote:

You must not have seen the Angry Video Game Nerd's videos about those games. As well as Egoraptor's

I have. Their videos don't help that much with beating the game lol. Have you played the first Castlevania?

I tried Super Mario World 1 and 2 yesterday. I hate them. You that feeling of 'what am I doing with my life' that certain games give? That's Mario for me. It's quite literally the worst feeling a game can give. At least Yoshi's Island had fantastic graphics and music, I'll definitely give it that. But it's funny how Mario is probably my most hated major franchise, and Zelda my favourite; considering they were created as opposites.
    • MY GWENT DECKS ARRIVED!!! <3

The final ones for Blood & Wine, Nilfgaard and Northern Realms, came today! The 2 decks I actually play too, so bout time. The quality is absolutely superb, packaged well, and I love that they give you about 200 cards in each deck so you can make more than one out of each since I know there'll be competition to use Nilfgaard.

<3

Time to invite friends over and teach them how to play Gwent. Lol. So anyone else who ordered them from Jinx if you got the Witcher 3 Season Pass, if you don't have them already you will soon. :3
      :: makes the :3 face a lot ::

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mercedes ().

• I bought a new video card finally. GTX 1060. Welcome back well priced low-mid range video cards that actually perform well. I've missed you.

After two AMD cards in a row it's back to Nvidia for me this time. I'm so unfaithful. :v:

Time to cancel all my multiplat PS4 pre-orders now that my PC won't suck anymorw.

The post was edited 1 time, last by terrible ().

• Just bought a circle pad pro on amazon, didn't think those things still existed.

I thought about buying a new 3DS briefly but decided against it. I don't care about better 3D, I don't care about amiibo functionality, the only new feature I care about is the dual pad aspect so I can play monster hunter and a few other games better and the pad on the circle pad pro looks better than that small nub thing.

Slightly better specs and better battery power would be nice, but not worth the 200$+.