Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    General Gaming Arcadia 2020: The Silver Age of Gaming is just beginning
    • I do feel that the reactions to failed triple-A games have been more extreme—they used to just fade away, whereas there's been more of an uproar about, say, Fallout 76. But I'm not sure there have actually been more failures.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• It's because the gaming industry is a lot more naked in it's contempt for consumers. Whether that is consistently releasing games which aren't in a state that is fit for play at launch, whether that is throwing a games entire history out the window to chase the latest craze, whether that is creating games which are shells meant to ship microstransactions to players, or even whether it's literally violating gambling laws in order to market gambling to children - they are showing their greed, their shallowness and their apathy time and again. And self-identified gamerz TM, moronic as they are, are finally starting to get a clue. It's like ten years late so who knows how much good it will do.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Hm, not sure I fully agree.

I don't think that publishers have gotten more greedy over the years, or that games are generally released in worse condition than they used to be*. There's a lot more anger than there used to be, and I'm not a fan of a lot of AAA development and design practices, but I can't really say that Fallout 76 is worse than Anarchy Online at launch, or that modern EA is somehow worse than '90s EA when they would buy up studios just to close them down.

This is not to say that I support a lot of what's going on, just that I don't think it's gotten any worse.

*This sounds ridiculous, but I stand by it. '80s-era games were horrifically buggy, things got better in the '90s, and then kinda stayed flat. The trick is that it's much easier to hear about and confirm bugs these days, and that games are significantly more complex so that the possible sources of bugs are much higher and even increased testing can't find them all.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!
    • John wrote:

Hm, not sure I fully agree.

I don't think that publishers have gotten more greedy over the years, or that games are generally released in worse condition than they used to be*. There's a lot more anger than there used to be, and I'm not a fan of a lot of AAA development and design practices, but I can't really say that Fallout 76 is worse than Anarchy Online at launch, or that modern EA is somehow worse than '90s EA when they would buy up studios just to close them down.

This is not to say that I support a lot of what's going on, just that I don't think it's gotten any worse.

*This sounds ridiculous, but I stand by it. '80s-era games were horrifically buggy, things got better in the '90s, and then kinda stayed flat. The trick is that it's much easier to hear about and confirm bugs these days, and that games are significantly more complex so that the possible sources of bugs are much higher and even increased testing can't find them all.
      He didn't say they've gotten more greedy, he's saying that they don't try to hide it anymore.

Anyway as I understand it, Anthem is perfectly fun game. But it severely lacks in polish and content. We're talking about a game trying to compete with Warframe which has like five to six years of development and Destiny 2* which has over a year on Anthem.

*Personally I think Destiny 2 is inferior to Warframe in terms of content, I understand why it's more popular. It's just more "accessible"
    • I think the difference between now and 10-20 years ago is that publishers have moved beyond contempt for their consumers to now openly defying national governments, I would have never imagined a AAA publisher would be the subject of a criminal investigation by the government of a European nation but that's where we were just a few months prior. We wouldn't accept the executive branch of a world government disobeying court orders for example, and the same standard should be applied to EA or any game publisher.

Publishers may not necessarily be more greedy but damn are they arrogant as all hell

The post was edited 1 time, last by Viajero de la Galaxia ().

• Mozly Alice wrote:

Anyway as I understand it, Anthem is perfectly fun game. But it severely lacks in polish and content. We're talking about a game trying to compete with Warframe which has like five to six years of development and Destiny 2* which has over a year on Anthem.
      The thing with this game is that it was an absolute shitshow at launch, arguably even worse than Anthem is to the people shitting on it now, it's just that DE simply refused to let the damned thing die (because it was basically their passion project and should it go under, so would they) and they eventually stumbled into a better state through sheer trial and error, heck the game is so radically different from its release the closest comparison would be FFXIV.

Anthem... has EA behind them and was supposedly already 6 years in development, the core part of the issue is whether EA will stubbornly stick with it even at a failed state (should it drop like a brick) long enough for it to overhaul its numerous issues. Warframe under EA would've had the plug pulled months after its first release.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• Yeah, playing a fresh account of Warframe you can see all the old shit they threw at the wall laying by the wayside trying to make a hook for the game. They'd just pile on new systems and ideas as they went along and finally hit a real stride at about Second Dream where the main story really started to take a more solid shape and its popularity started to skyrocket. Digital Extremes is fucking tiny compared to Bioware/EA. Like the only games I remember them for before Warframe is Dark Sector and a shitty Star Trek game. They scraped and scrounged for every ounce of good will they won from their fans.

Kind of funny but the dialogue choices in Warframe ultimately don't add up to anything, but they apparently feel like they impact the story more than the ones in Anthem. Which is funny considering you can just replay the quests to do the other choices later.
    • Funnily enough the hook for the game is still garbage in the first hours unless the game magically clicks with you from the start like it did with me and that's only because I was too entertained sticking grineer to walls with the bow going full stealth in solo mode and messing around with the parkour. Hope the rework to the new player experience they're planning ends up striking gold this time as Vor's Prize is such a terrible tutorial for most of the game's systems.

By the way DE codeveloped Unreal Tournament with Epic Games as well which is hilarious in hindsight considering how terrible Warframe's PvP is.
    • Honestly, a lot of it is the fault of gamers.

Yes, EA shouldn't be breaking the laws and the fact that they are isn't the fault of the consumer but of the company. But like Anthem, I've been maintaining since the beginning that the game looked soulless and generic as fuck, with the only distinguishing feature being that you fly around on a jetpack equivalent (which isn't even a unique feature in the slightest.)

People I discussed this game with were adamant that I was wrong without actually saying anything to dispute my argument, just rejecting it outright as if it were a ridiculous thing to say. And now from what I'm hearing I was 100% right.

I feel as if the average gamer has a worse internal shitty game detector now than I did when I was 12 years old. I don't understand it, people just get hyped for seemingly no reason all the time. Just stop it with the hype machine and actually look at the game and the company's recent track record. Not the huge promises of people who's job it is to sell you something.
    • yeah a lot of the reason companies engage in these unethical practises is that A) it'll make them more money and B) they'll get away with it. Why would they not? They're businesses first and foremost, after all.

change will only come when gamers vote with their wallets and it impacts their bottom line. I highly doubt this will ever happen
    • Pietro wrote:

Honestly, a lot of it is the fault of gamers.

Yes, EA shouldn't be breaking the laws and the fact that they are isn't the fault of the consumer but of the company. But like Anthem, I've been maintaining since the beginning that the game looked soulless and generic as fuck, with the only distinguishing feature being that you fly around on a jetpack equivalent (which isn't even a unique feature in the slightest.)

People I discussed this game with were adamant that I was wrong without actually saying anything to dispute my argument, just rejecting it outright as if it were a ridiculous thing to say. And now from what I'm hearing I was 100% right.

I feel as if the average gamer has a worse internal shitty game detector now than I did when I was 12 years old. I don't understand it, people just get hyped for seemingly no reason all the time. Just stop it with the hype machine and actually look at the game and the company's recent track record. Not the huge promises of people who's job it is to sell you something.
      Speaking for myself, I don't buy new games on release day unless I know it is going to be something worth spending $90.

A big part of the problem is that people rely a lot on reviews and when a new AAA title is being launched you really only see good reviews trying to promote the game. You have to really dig for an honest review.

Granted, with Anthem I agree that it was pretty obvious from Day 1 it was nothing special but there are some games out there that look like they could be something special and fall flat.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • Pietro wrote:

I feel as if the average gamer has a worse internal shitty game detector now than I did when I was 12 years old.
      I was pretty good at picking out good games as a kid. It wasn't even a matter of only getting popular triple-A titles; I also got games like Ogre Battle 64, Baten Kaitos, and Chibi-Robo!.
      "But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness. I want sin."
      "In fact," said Mustapha Mond, "you're claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "All right then," said the Savage defiantly, "I'm claiming the right to be unhappy."
      "Not to mention the right to grow old and ugly and impotent; the right to have syphilis and cancer; the right to have too little to eat; the right to be lousy; the right to live in constant apprehension of what may happen to-morrow; the right to catch typhoid; the right to be tortured by unspeakable pains of every kind." There was a long silence.
      "I claim them all," said the Savage at last.
      Mustapha Mond shrugged his shoulders. "You're welcome," he said.

—Aldous Huxley, Brave New World

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• Also, Anthem and Fallout 76 are good examples of why you shouldn't preorder games, at least in the age of digital distribution:

Viajero de la Galaxia wrote:

As a rule I never preorder games. It's a really unnecessary practice in 2015 (and has been for well over a decade) - it's something that made more sense 15-20 years ago when digital distribution wasn't a thing and when games weren't stocked as fully as they are nowadays. I think it's a very bad idea to give game publishers and developers your money several months ahead of time, as it encourages them to get lazy with their product (e.g. Asscreed Unity) since they can just expect consumers to dish out their money unconditionally.

I'd much rather wait a day or so for the critical opinion of the fans and trustworthy reviewers to surface, than to just go in blind and potentially buy a game that's below expectations or is buggy and unplayable (though I know this part is more relevant to AAA PC ports). At least that way I'm voting with my dollar by withholding it in the case of a terrible game.