Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Future Zelda game(s) for Switch.

Heads up!

Zelda Universe is now on Discord! Join the server: http://discord.gg/zelda

• It might be a wise idea in the sense that, Breath of the Wild's successor will have an incomprehensibly lofty reputation to live up to. I don't think we can expect a 3D Zelda to feel like dramatic leap from Breath in the Wild in terms of scope for several years, at least not until a notable hardware upgrade from the Switch. There's a good chance that a comparable 3D sequel may, at best, feel like more of the same. It might suffer the Majora's Mask effect and be stuck in shadow of its monumental predecessor for years to come.

A 2D entry wouldn't garner the same comparisons. It wouldn't feel as if it was trying to surpass Breath of the Wild for its size and ambition. It could serve as some necessary downtime for the franchise, thus building up more anticipation for the inevitable seventh 3D home console juggernaut.
    • Downtime is a good opportunity for the series to experiment. If the experiment doesn't work out, then at least it wasn't a big, ambitious project designed to sell units. Some ideas I would like to see:
      • An RPG (like classic Final Fantasy, or perhaps the Mario RPGs)
      • A Fighter (perhaps in the vein of Soul Calibur)
      • A Mario Maker-esque level designer
      • A plane-focused follow up to Spirit Tracks
      • Hyrule Warriors II (Legends was more 1.5)
      • A crossover with Final Fantasy
      • MMO (perhaps using BotW's engine as a base)
      • A sidescroller similar to Zelda II
    • Mirren wrote:

It might be a wise idea in the sense that, Breath of the Wild's successor will have an incomprehensibly lofty reputation to live up to. I don't think we can expect a 3D Zelda to feel like dramatic leap from Breath in the Wild in terms of scope for several years, at least not until a notable hardware upgrade from the Switch. There's a good chance that a comparable 3D sequel may, at best, feel like more of the same. It might suffer the Majora's Mask effect and be stuck in shadow of its monumental predecessor for years to come.

A 2D entry wouldn't garner the same comparisons. It wouldn't feel as if it was trying to surpass Breath of the Wild for its size and ambition. It could serve as some necessary downtime for the franchise, thus building up more anticipation for the inevitable seventh 3D home console juggernaut.
      I don't think the 2D and 3D teams overlap much, so the 3D game would probably turn out about the same regardless. I dearly hope they wouldn't wait for a completely new home console to create a new Zelda game. In fact, I'd rather they do it like MM and reuse many of BotW's assets so that they can get the game out in a relatively short time. Based on what we've seen of BotW's world, I don't think it's that important that the next game beats its scope.
      [pitch meeting] Okay so it's a ton of dogs. Dalmatians. 100 of 'em. I call it "100 Dalmatians." [idea man pipes in] Let's think bigger

- Ristolable
    • I am okay and I totally expect one or two 2D-games before the next true 3D-Zelda. And after this open world-Zelda, I wouldn't mind if the next Zelda for the Switch was a lot more linear and much more story-focused. I REALLY want another 3D-Zelda for the Switch and Aonuma has really hinted that so I trust him in that, but I really hope it will be pretty different in its design. Another open world in Hyrule is pretty risky. It may feel "samey". If they not decides to use a radically different artstyle, perhaps a more dark tone... perhaps a completely other scenario (like how NIntendo did with TWW and ST) or something...

And if they want to make another new open world-Zelda for the Switch which is similar to BotW, it has to be significant more ambitious in order for it to stand out and be interesting for people who has played the shit out of BotW. Even though that feel like a very hard task right now. but hey, we haven't played it yet... it perhaps is trash? :DD

Why not an open world-Zelda somewhere else than in Hyrule? What about Termina or something completely new? We don't need two open world-Zeldas in the same place on the same system... I can't help but to feel it to be a bit redundant. It would really feel "more of the same" with the same locations and provinces all over again in a second Zelda-game on the Switch. When Nintendo makes a HUGE leap again power-wise with a future new console, they could make a new open world-Zelda in Hyrule where everything is almost photorealistic (not really, but you probably get the point).

If they really wants to keep the artstyle (or at least something similar), continue with the open world-formula and continue with the world of Hyrule, I would wish them just to make expand BotW with very huge and ambitious DLC. Make the world of BotW twice or trice as big as it is now, but completely new continents/lands with new landmarks/provinces, new dungeons and storylines and such. But I rather want them to make a brand new Zelda-title but pretty different (if I gets to decide... a more linear Zelda with heavy story-elements). And granted, I haven't beat BotW yet obviously, and its story will probably be great and fine... but story will ALWAYS be limited in open world-designed games, more or less at least. They can really shine to their fullest potential in a more linear game.

Mirren wrote:

It might be a wise idea in the sense that, Breath of the Wild's successor will have an incomprehensibly lofty reputation to live up to. I don't think we can expect a 3D Zelda to feel like dramatic leap from Breath in the Wild in terms of scope for several years, at least not until a notable hardware upgrade from the Switch.
      That isn't true at all though, and Xenoblade Chronicles X was a proof of that, and that was on the Wii U, which used discs, the Switch is much more "open world"-friendly than the Wii U. Xenoblade Chronicles X looked both good and was extremely massive...

Little spoilers in regards to the estimation of the size of BotW:
      Display Spoiler

The most accurate and down-to-earth-estimations of BotW, shows it will be a bit bigger than TWW. And like 50 % bigger than Skyrim (or something like that, it is just estimations), but NOT EVEN CLOSE to the size of The Witcher 3... and Xenoblade Chronicles X is like... 3 times bigger than The Witcher 3? Something ridiculous like that. And yes Xenoblade Chronicles X took up a lot of space of the system... but as I said, now we have cartridges so we don't have to sacrifice our space on our systems as long as we buy it physically. And the Switch is also stronger than the Wii U, maybe not very much stronger, but still stronger.

I am not saying that I necessarily wants this enormous world for the next Zelda... I just pointing out that a Zelda game can be A LOT bigger on the Switch (also on the Wii U really) if Aonuma really wants to. The problem is that Zelda has a different design than Xenoblade... a much more dense design with much more puzzles and complexity involved in order for it to actually be good. It should take a lot more effort to make a Zelda-game with the same size as Xenoblade Chronicles X. But hey... if Nintendo uses the same graphics-engine as they used with BotW, the same physics-engine and reuses a lot of stuff from BotW... plus the fact that HD-graphics and the open world-design aren't anything new to Nintendo now... plus the fact that a large part of that delay was because of that physics-engine they had a bit trouble with. If they just takes all what they learnt and just focus to make the biggest world ever with a lot of content... skies are the limit. Who knows what they can accomplish if we give them 4-5 years. Skies are pretty much the limit it feels like, the question is what Nintendo will do.

BUT as I said, size isn't necessarily a good thing, I think BotW seems to be big enough to be honest. Do we really need a world much bigger than that?
    • @MVS Xenoblade isn't proof of much when it and Zelda are two completely different genres with very different priorities for their designs. Zelda, and Breath in the Wild, in particular, feature environmental interactivity that far surpasses what an RPG like Xenoblade has, along with the work required for creating its dungeons.

Regardless of that, though, I never said that Zelda couldn't feature a bigger world than what Breath of the Wild promises. What I specified was that a Zelda on Switch likely can't feature a world so big that it feels like the same increase in size that Breath of the Wild is proving from its predecessors.

It's many times bigger than the worlds found in Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, and significantly more open and detailed. We're simply not going to see another Zelda on Switch whose world is many times larger than Breath of the Wild's. The leap will not be so dramatic as what we're poised for in a couple of weeks. Very few people would be able to notice a 3x increase, even, implying that a Zelda could actually get to that size given what its game design dictates.

Kokopelli wrote:

Mirren wrote:

It might be a wise idea in the sense that, Breath of the Wild's successor will have an incomprehensibly lofty reputation to live up to. I don't think we can expect a 3D Zelda to feel like dramatic leap from Breath in the Wild in terms of scope for several years, at least not until a notable hardware upgrade from the Switch. There's a good chance that a comparable 3D sequel may, at best, feel like more of the same. It might suffer the Majora's Mask effect and be stuck in shadow of its monumental predecessor for years to come.

I don't think the 2D and 3D teams overlap much, so the 3D game would probably turn out about the same regardless. I dearly hope they wouldn't wait for a completely new home console to create a new Zelda game. In fact, I'd rather they do it like MM and reuse many of BotW's assets so that they can get the game out in a relatively short time.
      Consider me in the camp that hope they can avoid that. I didn't like that Majora's Mask rehashed so many sequence ideas, character models, and textures from Ocarina of Time; it felt cheap and took away from some of its identity. I'd rather see the in-game world built for itself.

Of course, I also understand the perspective of the fan who doesn't want to wait another 4-5 years for the next 3D Zelda.

For me, the perfect compromise would be for the next Zelda to perhaps reuse Breath of the Wild's art design, but to take things back to out to sea. I'd love to see another Zelda where the ocean is as large as what Hyrule is expected to be in Breath of the Wild, but with more land and a more believable island layout than what Wind Waker had. Instead of Wind Waker's grid system where the tiny islets were almost perfectly aligned, have a couple of large continents with varying climes, along with complex archipelagos of sizable islands.

Something like in Assassin's Creed: Black Flag or what is implied in the Earthsea novels would work perfectly -

• @Mirren My point about the size of Xenoblade Chronicles X was only and only the possibility alone. Of course a Zelda-game will take A LOT more time and effort to develop since it is a lot more dense and complex with all its puzzles and interactivity as you said. All I am saying is that it is POSSIBLE (as in technically possible) if we gave Nintendo an infinite amount of time and resources to make a Zelda as big as Xenoblade Chronicles X...

And a very important point, I am only talking about possiblities of the Switch here as a system. I really don't see the necessary part in making a game which is like 10 times bigger than Breath of the Wild? I mean why? Isn't BotW going to be big enough? Why not put all that extra resources into making a more living world akin to Majora's Mask with inhabitants who have daily routines and such? I really think that future Zelda-titles should not aim for being bigger than BotW (not by much at least) and more focus on the actual space it already has... for more content within it. This is very hard to talk about right now for very logical reasons... we haven't played BotW yet, so I don't know how I am going to feel about this new approach with BotW.

The post was edited 4 times, last by MVS ().

• Well of course that's possible to get a Zelda as big as Xenoblade Chronicles X, but like you said, they'd need infinite resources for such. They'd also have to work their developers to overtime every single day. Without a single day off.

Possibility and feasibility are two completely different things :lol:

But I agree with you that games probably don't need to be much larger than what we're seeing from Breath or the Wild, or what we saw in Witcher 3. At a certain point, it's gratuitous. I also think that it can get to a point where it's more of a hindrance on the player than a benefit.
    • I play through games like Mega Man and Shantae far more than games like Kingdom Hearts II or Okami, so there's definitely something to be said for shorter play lengths. Thankfully, BotW looks like it will be a "play at your pace" game with the option of beating it whenever you want, so rather than have the game slow you down or usher you along, you get to decide how far you advance in the game and when.

I like a game with short length but high variance, like a platformer that lets you choose your path or an adventure game that lets you decide the order in which to tackle dungeons. The ability to go off the beaten path, or better yet to create your own, in a game brief enough to encourage replayability is a big draw to me.

What separates BotW from games like TP and SS is, instead of jumping through an arbitrary number of hoops because the game said so, the game presents you with a simple yet formidable task, and offers you a chance to build up your strength before you take on the challenge. Essentially, the entirety of BotW will be like those RPGs such as Final Fantasy where you take your sweet time completing sidequests and leveling your party up while the villain waits for you in their lair, only with hopefully far less grinding.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Miles ().