Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Am I the only one who doesn't hate Tentalus
    • Now I haven't particularly searched this site for the opinions here on Tentalus but I've gotten the gist of the public's thoughts through friends and YouTube and such and it seems like the consensus is pretty much universal hatred towards her (him? It? Gonna use her). I also get that most of the hate is because of her Monsters Inc look, which yeah I agree is pretty stupid.

But in my opinion, Tentalus is the third best boss of the game (behind Koloktos and 3rd Ghirahim). For one as I'm sure most of us will agree, the buildup to the boss is fantastic, with the very dungeon you just beat getting torn to shreds by massive tentacles.

Now let's talk about the visual aspect. Yes, she looks like a cartoon character. But something is very off-putting about her appearance and actions. I wouldn't say it scared 15 year old me by any means, but it was... alarming. First of all, she's absolutely massive; possibly the biggest boss in Zelda history? Next, consider the way she moves and acts. The way her eye slowly opens as you aim at it, and the way she keeps it staring wide open at you is pretty weird, and when you consider her oddly happy and smiling face as her hair attacks you, you may see why my 15 year old self was on the edge of my seat. She may look stupid but she acts pretty unsettling and she's truly gargantuan.

The actual fight isn't bad, either. It's definitely one of the more fast paced bosses of the last couple games, perhaps only falling to Stallord, Scaldera, and maybe Gohdan in that category. It's basically constant action as you go from shooting the (annoyingly obvious) weak spot to dodging giant tentacles to slicing at Medusa hair. Add in the motion controls and I thought they actually did a pretty good job of making you feel like you're desperately firing arrows at the Kraken as it destroys your ship and attacks you.

So with all that said, I ask you, how do you feel about Tentalus as a boss? Taking everything into account; her look, size, fight, etc. I consider her to be one of the better bosses in the recent games. I felt like many people disagree with that and I'm curious to know why, as well as anyone's opinions in general. Oh, and here are some pictures to jog your memory.
      Images
      • image.jpeg

78.38 kB, 1,280×720, viewed 218 times
      • image.jpeg

17.34 kB, 240×169, viewed 204 times
      "An impressive-looking blade... But nothing more. Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade... and use it to blot out the light forever!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by MortalDraw ().

• The buildup is about the only good thing about this fight if you ask me. The actual fight was pretty much just the infamous shoot in the eye>slash with the sword, though at least they added tentacle slicing inbetween, which felt pretty satisfying.

But it's impossible for me to get over how the thing looks. All that destruction, all that build up, all that tension as you climb the dungeon all the way back to the top as it's getting more and more flooded because of the massive gaps in the walls created by the tentacles. Your expectations are way up high at this point, what kind of humongous beast is doing this? It must be something incredibly powerful and horrifying! Do you even dare fight it?

Then you finally reach the top and it turns out it was Mike Wazowski's great grandmother all along. It's just... so freaking underwhelming. Most dissapointing boss in Zelda history if you ask me. Completely ruined that amazing introduction.
    • Every single criticism toward Tentalus I have seen - on ZU, YouTube, fb, Miiverse, and in person - have all been over the looks. And I've even seen that lead to people trying to put down the gameplay based on that (because if it looks cartoony, then it MUST be a bad fight). NO. The fact of the matter is, this is one of the faster paced boss fights which required more input from the player integrating the motion controls (the main feature of the game) in all of 3D Zelda.

When have Nintendo ever cared about appearances for one thing? Has it not always been about the gameplay? Did Reggie not recently say Nintendo is not all about the specs? Why do you play Nintendo at all if you don't want a cartoony and light hearted game? No really! They sell xbone and ps for your little prerogative for realism. Even breath of the wild is still unrealistic as I'll get out. And I've even seen Zelda "fans" complain about that! Again, why do you play Nintendo at all if you want realism? How are you going to waste your money and then complain about wasting your money on a Nintendo device because they won't give you what you want? Nintendo told you they're not giving you what you want, Xbone and ps have made these things available to you. Stop expecting everyone to cater to your narrow views and just settle for what's already available.
      /rant

In response to OP, you're not the only one who enjoyed Tentalus. I still disagree about the appearance of Tentalus, but agree its a good fight.
    • I find the tentacle cutting portion to be tedious. Constantly charging Skyward Strikes is not fun.

I don't think there is anything particularly special about the fight, but it's not a bad boss fight.

The Monsters, Inc. design is the primary thing that bothers me about Tentalus. Skyward Sword has a bright, colorful, cartoon-like visual style, but Tentalus still manages to look out of place.
      Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua

Post by Khao ().

This post was deleted by HollowmanOfEoL: Flaming/trolling ().
    • Call me a gameplay-hater or anti-Zeldafan if you like, but this boss had nothing to make me want to replay it. It was one of my least favorite parts of my least favorite Zelda game I've played. It is one of the many reasons why I don't replay the game ever again. The whole game felt as if the developers were trying to annoy the player as much as possible. It is so utterly shit in so many ways, it would be funny if it weren't so damn annoying.

I go to the engine room behind the puzzle key door to get the super important sword tempering flame. Fi starts talking, I start spamming A to get her off. Ship shakes, I go to the only direction possible, hit some pink tentacles with the sword beam, avoid rolling barrels, get to the door. Fi starts talking again, I start spamming A to get her out of my way. I see a ridiculous cyclop sea monster with tentacles growing everywhere. It makes a noise and dives away. Then it tries to make holes to the ship with tentacles, I cut them off. It shows up and tries to scare me with its shouting and staring. I remember what the dungeon item is and shoot the eye. Luckily the monster is so kind that it moves lower so I reach to hit the eye with sword, shake the controller as fast as I can. Same again, again, then move higher, it makes a new move, I shake controller, shoot, shake again... It finally dies shouting and posing dramatically and explodes because it's a tradition for enemies to do so. The super important flame reveals itself. Fi shows up, dances, shoots the flame at the sword. Link considers himself one step closer to a legendary hero. I don't.
    • I like her. I hated the thought of that boss fight because I suck with the aiming, but it wasn't as hard as I thought so it wasn't all that bad. It's a relatively easy fight, it has two parts that do the relatively same thing, but that's okay, I didn't have to suck hard with the motion controls that occasionally I fail to master. Usually the motion controls are a hurdle when the fight needs them. My fault I admit, I suck at Demise's first part and Girahim's final part. I feared the fight when I got to the engine room because I got the bow and I suck at aiming with the bow, but the fight was actually fun. Also I never had issue with what she looked like. It was your typical tentacle monster, cyclops. And she looks cute after you hit her eye, put's her tentacles up and goes down like she got hurt. You shot an arrow in her only eye, she did get hurt. I hate the stallfoss fights. I suck being fast and accurate with the sword so they aren't fun. Tentalus/Tantalus was surprisingly fun for a boss that requires aiming with projectiles, which is something I have never been good at in Zelda games. Also the reason I don't play FPS games. Or platformers. Aiming isn't my strong forté. But she was fun. I always liked her in the boss rush while getting the shield. I knew that I could do it and it wasn't hard so for one fight I could just breathe easy and relax a bit. Scaldera is another one like that, and the first Girahim fight. I always hope Scaldera comes after the midway point, that's the only fight that gives you plenty of hearts.
    • Khao wrote:

The buildup is about the only good thing about this fight if you ask me. The actual fight was pretty much just the infamous shoot in the eye>slash with the sword, though at least they added tentacle slicing inbetween, which felt pretty satisfying.

But it's impossible for me to get over how the thing looks. All that destruction, all that build up, all that tension as you climb the dungeon all the way back to the top as it's getting more and more flooded because of the massive gaps in the walls created by the tentacles. Your expectations are way up high at this point, what kind of humongous beast is doing this? It must be something incredibly powerful and horrifying! Do you even dare fight it?

Then you finally reach the top and it turns out it was Mike Wazowski's great grandmother all along. It's just... so freaking underwhelming. Most dissapointing boss in Zelda history if you ask me. Completely ruined that amazing introduction.
      My thoughts exactly.

The Baton of the Wind wrote:

When have Nintendo ever cared about appearances for one thing? Has it not always been about the gameplay? Did Reggie not recently say Nintendo is not all about the specs? Why do you play Nintendo at all if you don't want a cartoony and light hearted game?
      That's all well and good. But having at least SOME consideration isn't bad either.

Tentalus. Just plain lazy. Even if Nintendo does primarily focus on gameplay. That annoyingly cliched one-eyed weakspot Monster's Ink Mike Wazowski's girlfriend design takes away from and already boring and uninspired fight.
    • Keyaki wrote:

The Baton of the Wind wrote:

When have Nintendo ever cared about appearances for one thing? Has it not always been about the gameplay? Did Reggie not recently say Nintendo is not all about the specs? Why do you play Nintendo at all if you don't want a cartoony and light hearted game?
      That's all well and good. But having at least SOME consideration isn't bad either.
      You aren't going to GET that consideration from them. They're going to focus on the gameplay whether you prefer that route or not. Again, why do you play Nintendo and pay them money if you want realistic looks?
    • Like most people, I was disappointed by Tentalus's appearance. One thing I haven't heard people complain about was the equally disappointing restoration of the ship after the battle. Even if it looks a little silly, I really respected Tentalus during the battle for utterly destroying the ship; it felt like real damage was being, and we couldn't just go back from this. But then we did, and the ship was instantly rebuilt as soon as the battle was over.

That said, it was worth it. My issues with Tentalus are that it could have easily been so much better, and since it came at the end of my favorite dungeon in the game, the flaws were so much more apparent. But it's still one of the better boss fights in Skyward Sword. (I would rank Ghirahim, the Imprisoned, and maybe Koloktos higher.)

(Edited for spelling names right)
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

• I wonder how much of a difference making Tentalus dark blue or black would've had. The fight would probably be cooler if you could barely see her blending against the stormy sky and all you got was the silhouette of her massive form and the glowing eye. Could be kind of like final Ganon from OoT. But alas, she is pink.
      "An impressive-looking blade... But nothing more. Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade... and use it to blot out the light forever!"