Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Doing a nude/naked run
    • Hello, this is my first time posting here. Anyway, in Zelda Breath of the Wild, due to the open nature of the game, you can beat the game without wearing any clothes(aside from the boxers Link starts with). So, many fans, me included, is interested in beating the game "naked" or doing a so called "naked/nude" run. However, I have yet to see any extensive discussion about the topic, aside from everybody joking about it. So, I thought it would be fun if we give a little more thought to the matter. I want to talk everything about nude run. This includes rules, theoratical strategies and possible interesting things that can happen in a nude run. I know that the game isn't out yet but it would be fun to talk about what could we do and what could happen. Now that I finished my introduction, let's begin.

I'll start with the rules. There are three simple rules. The rules are-
      1. No shirts
      2. No pants
      3. No boots
      Basically, you can't equip any sorts of armour or gear. Note: You can use a shield since it's not a thing one "wears".

Optional Rules-

• Beat all the dungeons
      Since, we got the rules out of the way, we can talk about how we can "possibly" play a nude run( I'm only giving a possible strategy. You can do always do your own thing). A nude run will be quite difficult. Since you can't wear any cloths or armour, you can't raise your defense in a good way. You'll be very vurnable for most of the time. So you might want to avoid enemy contact. Or more importantly, you need to make sure you don't get hit by the enemy when you have to confront them. The best way to this is to use ranged weapons like bows. If the enemy uses meele attacks, obviously you won't get hit provided that you keep on the move. If the enemy uses ranged attacks, it will be easier to doge their attacks given you maintain a good distance.

As for exploration, the difficulty will come to extremely hot and cold areas. Normally, you need to wear appropriate clothing depending on the environment. Since, yet again, you can't wear any cloths, you'll run into problems. Thankfully, there are some ways to remedy this. I'll limit to talk about dealing with cold conditions since we don't know much about hot conditions. Temperature drops in the night so we will only move in the daylight. We'll stock up on tree branches and use them as needed. And we will save elixirs/spicy foods for caves, traveling long distances and emergency.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions, strategies, revision to my strategy or interesting things that might occur in a nude run? Fire away!

EDIT: Also can anybody find an alternate catchy name for nude run? I propose "MANLY" run.

EDIT 2: Fixed and added some stuff.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Red Pheonix ().

• I expected a very different kind of thread!

I think making Link as naked as possible is the fastest and best way to do a naked run. :3 Like, that's the bare minimum required! No armour, clothing, or anything of the sort. But I don't think we know enough to really know what else? Or maybe I've just missed some stuff. But I love this idea as a funny little run to do one time! I just hope that some characters will react to Link like this. pls Nintendo
    • a nude run is probably not even that complicated. they mentioned you could approach the final battle very early and skip the large chunk of gameplay if you wanted, just that it would be far more challenging. it means you can choose to skip over all the parts in the snow and desert areas, and only choose the content on the temperate areas. and then you would only need to learn how to fight without getting hit, not something impossible to do.

a caveman run would probably be more challenging to do. naked, need to finish the whole map, wooden equipment only, no veggies, only eat meat, and no cooking.
    • Caliber70 wrote:

Caliber70 wrote:

a nude run is probably not even that complicated. they mentioned you could approach the final battle very early and skip the large chunk of gameplay if you wanted, just that it would be far more challenging. it means you can choose to skip over all the parts in the snow and desert areas, and only choose the content on the temperate areas. and then you would only need to learn how to fight without getting hit, not something impossible to do.

a caveman run would probably be more challenging to do. naked, need to finish the whole map, wooden equipment only, no veggies, only eat meat, and no cooking.

Maybe I should add a optional rule "beat all the dungeons" to force through the hot and cold enviroments. No fun if there's no reason to stand in a blizzard in your underwear. Also it's not like you can't beat enemies without getting hit but more like you would have a better chance of surviving if you maintain a distance. I personally believe this run will be it's own unique experience.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Red Pheonix ().

• We could call it ‘The Mowgli Run’, but I don't think it's gonna catch on. :P

Seriously, though, good ideas, OP, though I'd like to amend one thing: wouldn't a shield suffice? It's not clothing, it's something Link can use to deflect enemy blows. Lots of ancient cultures used shields while running around in what amounted to boxers. Scavenge for food and spare parts, use weapons from the fallen enemy including shields, just no clothing or armor covering Link's body.

"I'm the King of the Seas!" - Said every Orca Whale Ever

• linkthezora wrote:

linkthezora wrote:

We could call it ‘The Mowgli Run’, but I don't think it's gonna catch on. :P

Seriously, though, good ideas, OP, though I'd like to amend one thing: wouldn't a shield suffice? It's not clothing, it's something Link can use to deflect enemy blows. Lots of ancient cultures used shields while running around in what amounted to boxers. Scavenge for food and spare parts, use weapons from the fallen enemy including shields, just no clothing or armor covering Link's body.
      As I said, as long it's not a cloth, armour or anything we "wear", it's viable. So you can use a shield.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Red Pheonix ().

• I was expecting this to be a thread about actual nude runs/marathons. I'm a bit disappointed. :glare:

As for Breath of the Wild, I might give this a shot, but certainly not on my first run through (though Link may stay naked a good part of the time just for fun).

The weather than hurts Link could quickly make a naked run not much fun depending on how quickly you take damage. You may end up having to grind for ingredients for hours to cook the best meals (cooked items heal more than the stuff you pick up) to take a full inventory of healing items into the snowy areas. And then you may end up opening the menu every 20 seconds to heal. It could get very old, very fast. We just don't know enough specifics yet to know how viable this is as an option.

But, as others have mentioned, you're supposed to be able to go to the final boss early on. What we don't know yet is if you can actually win that early on. This could be a situation where you can go to the boss and die, but not win until you meet certain story conditions.
      Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua
    • Joshua wrote:

This could be a situation where you can go to the boss and die, but not win until you meet certain story conditions.
      no they clearly said you could clear the game early by skipping stuff. they just implied it would be extremely challenging. i played TP with the ordon sword the whole way, untill they forced you to master sword with Ganon i think, Nintendo is not always the best at making challenging games.
    • Joshua wrote:

I was expecting this to be a thread about actual nude runs/marathons. I'm a bit disappointed. 

The weather than hurts Link could quickly make a naked run not much fun depending on how quickly you take damage. You may end up having to grind for ingredients for hours to cook the best meals (cooked items heal more than the stuff you pick up) to take a full inventory of healing items into the snowy areas. And then you may end up opening the menu every 20 seconds to heal. It could get very old, very fast. We just don't know enough specifics yet to know how viable this is as an option.
      I'm a bit confused. I talked how you can do a nude run in the OP. I don't get what you are saying. For the record, this thread is everything nude run with just a focus on strategies. So feel free to add your own ideas or thoughts about nude runs.

You don't need grinding for snowy areas. You can craft elixirs(one of the elixirs showed 3 minutes in the counter)and light up torches that last quite a while. They already showed that in the treehouse stream.
    • Naked/Caveman Run is one of the reasons I'm hyped about the game.

I hope that the game will allow for decent survivability without the usual accouterments (aka clothes). I agree about being able to use any shield/sword/basic weaponry in-game, but I would probably limit Link's use of the Sheikah Slate since stereotypical cavemen usually fear technology (probably a second or third playthrough conceit). Same goes with magic. No fire rods in the Naked-through unless it's necessary for a dungeon or an obligatory battle & then Link immediately throws it away for unknown reasons.

I'm probably not so keen on limiting the cooking arrangements though. Much of Link's survivability will depend on His ability to create potions for temporary upgrades. Personally, I'll always want a very Mobile Link, so boosting stamina at the least, would be considered vital imo.
      :lol:
    • Would also be interesting to see someone do a nude vegan pacifist run, not attacking anything except Calamity Ganon. I'm not sure how literally we could interpret Aonuma's comment, but if we could just go straight to the boss, then we could avoid all bokoblins, steal some weapons, stock up on some apples and mushrooms, and fight Ganon from there. There probably are enemies in Hyrule Castle that you have to kill to progress though.

I won't attempt any of this until I have a complete playthrough and discover everything I can about BoTW's story and lore.
    • I refuse to do this for my first run (or any kind of challenge for that matter) because I'm fully expecting to replay this game a lot. My first playthrough will be me experimenting a lot, doing everything, and take everything the game even suggests at throwing me, clothing included.

After that though?

I'll run through the world in my fucking SHORTS. I'll only use weapons DROPPED BY MY ENEMIES. The more wood they contain the BETTER, and that's just if they're not their freaking ARMS. Cooking? WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS USELESS FEATURE, I ONLY EAT RAW MEAT. SHIELDS ARE ONLY GOOD FOR SURFING, ANY DURABILITY USED ON SOMETHING ELSE IS A COMPLETE WASTE. ARROWS ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO EXPLODE, ANYTHING ELSE WON'T EVEN FUCKING REACH MY INVENTORY.

The game will probably try to give me a horse through the story which is pretty coWAIT IS THAT A SADDLE? WITH BAGS? AM I SEEING A FUCKING SLEEPING MAT? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT. HORSES NEED TO BE AS MAJESTICALLY NAKED AS MYSELF. LINK ONLY RIDES WILD HORSES. A NEW ONE WILL BE CAPTURED EVERY TIME I NEED TO RIDE.

LINK DOESN'T CARE ABOUT COLD. HE'S NAKED. HE DOESN'T COOK. HE'LL FUCKING TAKE THE COLD LIKE A MAN.

torches are fine though because they BURN.

Ganon will never fucking know what hit him. But it certainly won't be fabric.

So yeah, uh, I think I was writing a post? I think I'll just enjoy the game without a care in the world my first time. Then in my second playthrough I'll come up with whatever nonsensical limitation I can think of.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Khao ().

• Khao wrote:

I refuse to do this for my first run (or any kind of challenge for that matter) because I'm fully expecting to replay this game a lot. My first playthrough will be me experimenting a lot, doing everything, and take everything the game even suggests at throwing me, clothing included.

After that though?

I'll run through the world in my fucking SHORTS. I'll only use weapons DROPPED BY MY ENEMIES. The more wood they contain the BETTER, and that's just if they're not their freaking ARMS. Cooking? WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS USELESS FEATURE, I ONLY EAT RAW MEAT. SHIELDS ARE ONLY GOOD FOR SURFING, ANY DURABILITY USED ON SOMETHING ELSE IS A COMPLETE WASTE. ARROWS ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO EXPLODE, ANYTHING ELSE WON'T EVEN FUCKING REACH MY INVENTORY.

The game will probably try to give me a horse through the story which is pretty coWAIT IS THAT A SADDLE? WITH BAGS? AM I SEEING A FUCKING SLEEPING MAT? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT. HORSES NEED TO BE AS MAJESTICALLY NAKED AS MYSELF. LINK ONLY RIDES WILD HORSES. A NEW ONE WILL BE CAPTURED EVERY TIME I NEED TO RIDE.

LINK DOESN'T CARE ABOUT COLD. HE'S NAKED. HE DOESN'T COOK. HE'LL FUCKING TAKE THE COLD LIKE A MAN.

torches are fine though because they BURN.

Ganon will never fucking know what hit him. But it certainly won't be fabric.

So yeah, uh, I think I was writing a post? I think I'll just enjoy the game without a care in the world my first time. Then in my second playthrough I'll come up with whatever nonsensical limitation I can think of.
      Dead
    • Khao has the right idea. Link is wild. He has no need for these things of... ‘civilization’ such as clothes and metal pots and sleeping mats. He is a wild, feral man of the wild. The Simple Bare Necessities[/i] is his theme song. Link shall be the Hylian version of Mowgli. Except he's not going to some man-village. He's a BEAST OF THE WILD!!!

"I'm the King of the Seas!" - Said every Orca Whale Ever