Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Should BotW have DLC?
    • KeeSomething wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to see a whole new campaign like Oblivion and Witcher III got. If we have to wait another 6 years for a follow up to BotW, then they best fill it with some meaningful DLC quests.

Like Oblivion, I'd like a whole new island to explore! It doesn't even have to be Hyrule. Make it weird and completely alien like Termina (but not Termina). Have all new monsters, bosses, and dungeons fill the land. Maybe even a small town full of NPCs that offer side-quests. It could be like a whole new game, just smaller in scale.
      I really think that they should do a Majoras Mask DLC.

Depending on the games time travel/alteration mechanics (It's strongly suggested to have some form of them) I'd like to go into the past or future (Depending on where this takes place in the timeline) to find out how and what happened to Majoras mask when it caused Havoc before it was sealed in shadow.

Who was Majora? What tribe worshiped Majora? Why did they make masks in honor of deitys and why was Majora so important? What events transpired that drove them to seal Majoras Mask in Shadow?

Why is the end of the world so important in relation to Majora?

Yea that'd be epic.
    • Please Understand wrote:

If they do DLC in the first place, there's a very good chance it will only be for the NX. If they did that, it would be a smart business move in my opinion.
      I doubt it. I don't see them announcing DLC that's NX-exclusive unless they announce the DLC before the game launches, and I don't see them announcing DLC before the game launches.

I do think its possible they may potentially work on DLC before it launches (I really don't think the game was delayed to add more new things to the game itself), but I don't see them announcing it before hand.

In regards to DLC, I vote "Maybe." I am optimistic for the potential of having DLC in the game. I think DLC would likely be a story campaign, such as a "Second Quest", but starring another character in the game instead of Link. The main thing of note would be that starring another character would require all equipment and items to be compatible with that new character, even if the world is mostly the same. I do think the story would be different naturally.

If the story is minimalistic, then the only advantage here is playing as another character (but I'd totally buy it just for that). However, I don't think the story is going to be minimalistic based on everything I've seen. Frankly, I think it might be even deeper than we're expecting.

DLC that includes new areas to explore I'm very mixed on. If you want to add new areas to explore, at that point you might as well just make it a fully new game. Unless the assets are entirely reused from the main game, in which case its boring anyway.

Bruce wrote:

KeeSomething wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to see a whole new campaign like Oblivion and Witcher III got. If we have to wait another 6 years for a follow up to BotW, then they best fill it with some meaningful DLC quests.

Like Oblivion, I'd like a whole new island to explore! It doesn't even have to be Hyrule. Make it weird and completely alien like Termina (but not Termina). Have all new monsters, bosses, and dungeons fill the land. Maybe even a small town full of NPCs that offer side-quests. It could be like a whole new game, just smaller in scale.
      I really think that they should do a Majoras Mask DLC.
      Depending on the games time travel/alteration mechanics (It's strongly suggested to have some form of them) I'd like to go into the past or future (Depending on where this takes place in the timeline) to find out how and what happened to Majoras mask when it caused Havoc before it was sealed in shadow.

Who was Majora? What tribe worshiped Majora? Why did they make masks in honor of deitys and why was Majora so important? What events transpired that drove them to seal Majoras Mask in Shadow?

Yea that'd be epic.
      I don't see them doing this in the form of DLC. That's just too much. Either Majora('s Mask) will get referenced in the main game, or that's a "new game with reused assets" material. DLC has to be light. Maybe a single boss (iffy), new outfits (maybe, but questionable; I don't really know if Nintendo would create DLC JUST for outfits), or, I think the best and more likely option is playing through the game as a different character, especially based on the idea Nintendo brought up about having Zelda as the main character of a game; if they were going to go with a female main character, they'd just handle it with Zelda. They even mentioned the idea of a Sheik spinoff.

That, I think, is perfect. It also depends on how characters in this game are handled. Will there be a lot of returning characters from past games? Will it be an entirely new cast barring the core characters? Will Ganondorf appear as a separate entity from Ganon? Plus, Hyrule Warriors proves how fans love the ability to play as characters other than Link.

I still have my suspicions about AI companions based on how Wolf Link was handled as well.
      deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).
    • JaidynReiman wrote:

Bruce wrote:

KeeSomething wrote:

I really think that they should do a Majoras Mask DLC.Depending on the games time travel/alteration mechanics (It's strongly suggested to have some form of them) I'd like to go into the past or future (Depending on where this takes place in the timeline) to find out how and what happened to Majoras mask when it caused Havoc before it was sealed in shadow.

Yea that'd be epic.
      I don't see them doing this in the form of DLC. That's just too much. Either Majora('s Mask) will get referenced in the main game, or that's a "new game with reused assets" material. DLC has to be light. Maybe a single boss (iffy), new outfits (maybe, but questionable; I don't really know if Nintendo would create DLC JUST for outfits), or, I think the best and more likely option is playing through the game as a different character, especially based on the idea Nintendo brought up about having Zelda as the main character of a game; if they were going to go with a female main character, they'd just handle it with Zelda. They even mentioned the idea of a Sheik spinoff.

That, I think, is perfect. It also depends on how characters in this game are handled. Will there be a lot of returning characters from past games? Will it be an entirely new cast barring the core characters? Will Ganondorf appear as a separate entity from Ganon? Plus, Hyrule Warriors proves how fans love the ability to play as characters other than Link.

I still have my suspicions about AI companions based on how Wolf Link was handled as well.

I really don't see giving a back story to Majoras mask being 'too much'

It wouldn't be anymore than that of Dawngaurd, Dragonborn or the Shivering Isles.
      It's simply just a backstory, with new NPCS, envrionments, items, armor, and weapons in a smaller confined openworld area.
    • Bruce wrote:

Yea that'd be epic.
      NOOO! PLEASE NO!

We don't need the origins of Majora explained. That was a one-off title, and doing a prequel to explain everything will only ruin the mystique of it.
    • KeeSomething wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Yea that'd be epic.
      NOOO! PLEASE NO!
      We don't need the origins of Majora explained. That was a one-off title, and doing a prequel to explain everything will only ruin the mystique of it.
      I disagree.

Quite honestly, why anyone would want to keep Majoras Mask trapped in that tiny space of factual information we do have about it's origins is beyond me. It definitely deserves to have a better light shed on it, especially now after the remake. Mystique or not.

Plus, I'm sick of the countless theory debates that seem to be spoken around in circles every time they're brought up about Majoras mask and the games Origins. No one knows for sure, and it leaves me mind boggled every time. I wanna know, I've waited 8 years for an answer and still have come up with nothing I can plant my faith in completely. It's always, 'is it this?' or 'is it that?' 'Was it the Sheika Tribe?' or a linear dimensional tribe to the Sheika?' 'Was Majora actually evil? or does the wearer of the mask choose how to use Majoras power?' etc. etc. etc.

Even if main line questions about the lore were to be answered, that doesn't mean all of them will be answered. I quite honestly see no way the mystique could be completely removed from this particular game. As a matter of fact, I see an expansion pack if anything, adding to the mystique of this game the way I'm looking at it.

I'm not saying 'let's have a DLC that totally ties up everything in Majoras Mask' However I'd like a couple questions answered, so we have a nice fine line to trace when it comes to already existing or new theories in the future.

Loading. . .

Click4Eyecandy :artist:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bruce ().

• I'd love a game to explore the origins of Majora's Mask. As long as its done right.

I don't think DLC for a TOTALLY UNRELATED GAME is the way to handle such a huge thing, though.

KeeSomething wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Yea that'd be epic.
      NOOO! PLEASE NO!
      ...but, I can understand the reason why you wouldn't want it either. Skyward Sword trying to "explain" the origins of the Master Sword and Ganon(dorf) was awful, and ruined everything we know about our favorite King of Evil. Now I want a new Ganondorf origin story to fix the mess that Demise's curse caused.
      deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).
    • JaidynReiman wrote:

I'd love a game to explore the origins of Majora's Mask. As long as its done right.

I don't think DLC for a TOTALLY UNRELATED GAME is the way to handle such a huge thing, though.

KeeSomething wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Yea that'd be epic.
      NOOO! PLEASE NO!We don't need the origins of Majora explained. That was a one-off title, and doing a prequel to explain everything will only ruin the mystique of it.
      ...but, I can understand the reason why you wouldn't want it either. Skyward Sword trying to "explain" the origins of the Master Sword and Ganon(dorf) was awful, and ruined everything we know about our favorite King of Evil. Now I want a new Ganondorf origin story to fix the mess that Demise's curse caused.

Who cares if its unrelated? If this game is in the same timeline, and has some sort of Time shift/alteration/traveling capability (Which is heavily implied that it does) (Or if Termina indubitably is the linear universe that we all have theorized it to be) it wouldn't have to make sense.

That or Link accidentally falls in a rabbit hole, or crash lands somewhere and accidentally ends up in Termina. etc. etc. there are literally countless ways that can make something like this work where story is concerned, even if it's unrelated.
      And in comparison to the size of content that is to behold in BotW (an educated guess of course) an Origin story to Majoras Mask could prove to be tiny to some extent. (Though that statement could be a little more broad than I think it is at this point in time)
      ----

I to, think the origin story told by Skyward sword was childish and completely mediocre where story is concerned. The game wasn't by any means terrible, but not what us fans were waiting for at all. They handled something of a gravitational importance quite terribly IMO. Though I did like the idea of Demise, however even then I absolutely hated the idea of talking swords, especially Girahim. Gah I hated Girahim so much.
      Once again they had a million dollar Idea, and didn't know how to capitalize in the right way.
      Though I hope that isn't the case in the future of the NX.

As a matter of fact, all of this talk is reminding me of how disappointed I was with Skyward swords origin story, and I'd be absolutely devastated if MM got the same treatment.
      Especially if it was an entire game, oh goodness no.

If they do do something like this, whether it be DLC or an entire game, I hope I'm not left completely disappointed.

Loading. . .

Click4Eyecandy :artist:

The post was edited 3 times, last by Bruce ().

• I like the idea of DLC offering a chance to visit some place outside of Hyrule (a bit like how Ordon was outside of Hyrule I think?), or some island to give us a bit of a TWW vibe, but realistically I don't know if it'd be a wise idea.
      As long as it wouldn't affect the main dev team(s) I guess. And then there's the fear that they'd start abusing DLC, but that's a fear and not a fact in all cases. DLC is not inherently a scam or whatever some seem to think.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ich Will ().

• I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to DLC in Zelda, I mean, we've got two sides of this debate here:

A: Whenever you get a zelda game, you know 100% sure that every single thing they've worked on has gone into the game, and it will be polished and it will be part of the base game, which appeals to me now more than ever with other companies choosing to simply cut rather than add when it comes to DLC.

B: Although a lot of DLC is done badly nowadays, Bethesda still has me holding out hope for any DLC it releases, what with most of it being huge expansive stuff added to the main game, areas, quests, dungeons etc.

So, in relation to Nintendo and DLC, my stance on this boils down to basically, if they can do DLC like the Skyrim Solstheim expansion or the Witcher 3's Blood Hunt expansion, I would be down to get some of that action in BotW zelda, as I feel it'd be the only one where DLC would be a welcome addition in.

However, if they're just going to go down the route of small useless crap like Mass Effect, what with it's small weapon/cut character DLC, i'd prefer to not have that mud up my zelda game.

To be fair though, I don't think Zelda is a title that Nintendo would ever consider DLC'ing, as they tend not to do it for anything that isn't purely arcadey in nature, for example, Mario Kart/Smash Bros etc.

Although there is an increasing trend for it in general, moreso on the 3DS side of things, but hey. Who knows.

In summary, I'm torn about this, and I think we should all think long and hard about it, just as i'm sure Nintendo is doing the same, and I feel we're in the position as consumers to curb nintendo of this trend, much moreso than PS4/PC/Xbone due to the fact that the DLC market is only in it's emergent stage on Nintendo's playing field.

So now more than ever, I think we'd need to vote with our wallets depending on their future behaviour. It's better to be a smart consumer than a rabid fan in my honest opinion.
      For art, thou canst dance if thine wants to, thou can leave thine friends behind, for if thine friends don't partake of the art of dancing, thine art not friends of thine.
    • FrozenDragon150 wrote:

DLC and updates are saved to the SD card and not to the disc, so disc/cart space is a non-issue here.

Since both Wii U and NX versions are together, whatever DLC they make for one can be ported to the other without issue.

Also, I don't see how they could sell a 'half-complete' game, they can very well add DLC support and wait for user feedback, then they could add a few more dungeons, another mode, maybe AI allies.
      To elaborate, I didn't mean that there wasn't enough space for DLC. I compared it to XCX which had to take up large spaces of the internal hard drive in order to run smoothly, and on top of that the game already had too much content for there to be significant DLC.
    • Nintendo has done a very good job with DLC in their games, both free and paid. Plus, there is precedent for downloadable content in a Zelda game with Tri Force Heroes.

I think the most compelling DLC for Breath of the Wild would be a full expansion that adds a new zone to the map along with new dungeons, items, etc.. I'd love to see that kind of life added to a Zelda game.

Honestly, I think that was the plan for Tri Force Heroes, and they did add one batch of additional dungeons, but the popularity of that game never took off and additional plans were likely scrapped.
      Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua
    • Technically, it already has DLC. The Wolf Link amiibo as well as those other 3 amiibo made specifically for the game.

I'm not against downloadable content in the game as long as it isn't a significant part of the game being deliberately placed behind a paywall. In other words, I'm okay if the added content is a fun bonus item (like a new weapon, costume, or -as we've already seen in the trailers- an animal companion), but not something crucial like a new dungeon or new playable character that would make me feel like the game is incomplete without the DLC.
    • Bruce wrote:

JaidynReiman wrote:

I'd love a game to explore the origins of Majora's Mask. As long as its done right.

KeeSomething wrote:

Bruce wrote:

Yea that'd be epic.
      NOOO! PLEASE NO!We don't need the origins of Majora explained. That was a one-off title, and doing a prequel to explain everything will only ruin the mystique of it.
      ----

I to, think the origin story told by Skyward sword was childish and completely mediocre where story is concerned. The game wasn't by any means terrible, but not what us fans were waiting for at all. They handled something of a gravitational importance quite terribly IMO. Though I did like the idea of Demise, however even then I absolutely hated the idea of talking swords, especially Girahim. Gah I hated Girahim so much.
      Once again they had a million dollar Idea, and didn't know how to capitalize in the right way.
      Though I hope that isn't the case in the future of the NX.

As a matter of fact, all of this talk is reminding me of how disappointed I was with Skyward swords origin story, and I'd be absolutely devastated if MM got the same treatment.
      Especially if it was an entire game, oh goodness no.

If they do do something like this, whether it be DLC or an entire game, I hope I'm not left completely disappointed.
      That could easily happen if people push for something with Majora's Mask. You might get what you want, but just as easily (especially more so) you could get something that you don't want. Better to get tentative ideas of an origin that whets the imagination, then to get the whole origin laid out and find out it's little more then complete and utter poopy. (Skyward Sword for lots of things.)

As for the poll, I voted No. I want to feel like I got the whole game, not part of it. Otherwise, why pay almost 60 dollars for it if it isn't complete? 60 dollars for an 'incomplete' game that has the rest of it's content locked behind a paywall is little more then a ripoff and a not so subtle effort to extract more money from a player. I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't sink to that level like some other companies have, but so far they seem to be good about that kind of thing.
    • Metalwolf wrote:

As for the poll, I voted No. I want to feel like I got the whole game, not part of it. Otherwise, why pay almost 60 dollars for it if it isn't complete? 60 dollars for an 'incomplete' game that has the rest of it's content locked behind a paywall is little more then a ripoff and a not so subtle effort to extract more money from a player. I'm hoping Nintendo doesn't sink to that level like some other companies have, but so far they seem to be good about that kind of thing.
      Honestly, this notion drives me nuts.

Why does it always have to be the assumption that if there's DLC, we're not getting a complete game on top of that? Just because there might be DLC, that doesn't mean the main game "isn't" complete. Yes, some developers do that, but Nintendo doesn't. They make a full game first, then add additional content ON TOP OF that.

DLC would not be designed to "complete" the game. It would be designed to "complement" an already complete game and expand upon it.

Don't think of it like DLC is "completing" an incomplete game. Think of it like this: Instead of getting 100% of a game before DLC, with DLC you're getting 110% of a game or 120% (depending on how much content the DLC adds).

Hell, the Mario Kart 8 DLC was practically 150% of a complete game (8 cups in-game like past Mario Karts, plus an additional 4 as DLC).

• ^Agreed with the general point of your post. Out of the several arguments against DLC, this is the one I can't agree with. I mean if it adds to something that's already complete, it's a bonus. I guess the problem is that it's a matter of trust, the customers can't be 100% sure if it was cut out of the main game or not, or if a company might abuse it in the future.

It might also be a matter of completionists feeling forced to buy DLC, I think?

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• Why anyone would complain about a good quality mod that could be better than the actual story of the game (even if the actual game was good) at a decent price point, is beyond me.

I mean, here are a few examples of good quality mods in the form of DLC on the market place of each individual system in relation to the game:

Dragonborn- Skyrim
      Dawngaurd- Skyrim
      hearthfire- Skyrim
      Blood and wine- Witcher 3
      Hearts of stone- Witcher 3
      The pitt- Fallout 3
      OPERATION: ANCHORAGE?- Fallout 3
      POINT LOOKOUT- Fallout 3
      BROKEN STEELE- Fallout 3
      MOTHERSHIP ZETA- Fallout 3

Dead money- New Vegas
      Honest hearts- New Vegas
      Old world blues- New Vegas
      Lonesome road- New Vegas

Now what I can understand is someone complaining about something like this:

(Which looked cool by any means, but was an obvious intent to suck a little more money out of its players, and was essentially useless in nature)

In general, this ^^ is what bad DLC looks like. One set of armor, singular weapon, singular hairstyle, etc. etc. that was most likely cut from the game with intent for later distribution for 2.99, as well ass adds little no replay value to the overall game.