Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Breath of the wilds dungeons
    • As far as I know, it was only a rumor by a source named Emily Rogers. However, she was spot on about there being over 100 (mini-dungeons) shrines, so this is a rumor that may have some merit after all.

Rumor: Zelda U to Have 4 Main Dungeons With 100+ Mini Dungeons, Weather Patterns, & Tech vs. Fantasy

I hope she is wrong about only 4 primary dungeons, but the fact that she got the min-dungeons and weather patterns more or less correct indicates she might be legit in this case.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bill ().

• Hopefully this isn't the case. It would be nice to have around 6-7 dungeons in my opinion.

That being said, it's important to remember the sheer scale of the game as well. BotW clearly has a massive over world, with God knows what waiting to be found. I wonder if, aside from the Shrines, there will be holes in the ground or caves that can be discovered with random puzzles or hoards of enemies like old traditional Zeldas sported. They wouldn't replace a lack of main dungeons, no, but it would fit well with this whole exploration theme that we've got. It would even be nice if some of the Shrines were battle tests instead to mix things up a bit, where Link is dropped into a situation to test his skills in combat every once in a while against a hoard of enemies or a mini boss of some kind. After all, what's a hero who can solve puzzles but lacks the skill to fight in the face of Ganon?

The sheer scale of BotW makes me think that perhaps this rumour is true. What's been done so far (and what's been done that we don't even know about yet) must have taken an immense amount of time and work already.

A bit off-topic, but I wonder if we can repeat the Shrines? We see that once completed their exterior structure emits a vibrant blue colour as opposed to the ominous orange to symbolise that they've been completed, but has anyone ever tried to go back into one and see what happens?

"Just look above you... If it's something that can be stopped, then just try to stop it."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Hylian Spectre ().

• I agree that 4 main dungeons seems like too few, but we also don't know the size of each shrine. The Shrines we were shown are relatively small, but they still feel like dungeons. Plus, the exploration required to find them is very rewarding as well.

While I love the traditional Zelda dungeons and would love to see more than 4, I don't think the game will suffer if there are only 4.
      Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua
    • Bill wrote:

As far as I know, it was only a rumor by a source named Emily Rogers. However, she was spot on about there being over 100 (mini-dungeons) shrines, so this is a rumor that may have some merit after all.

Rumor: Zelda U to Have 4 Main Dungeons With 100+ Mini Dungeons, Weather Patterns, & Tech vs. Fantasy

I hope she is wrong about only 4 primary dungeons, but the fact that she got the min-dungeons and weather patterns more or less correct indicates she might be legit in this case.
      The rumors originate from GameXplain, it seems.

I would be okay with just four dungeons as long as they're well-sized and complex. The main role of dungeons throughout the series, in my eyes, has been to give the player a space to heavily interact with their environment and think about how to navigate to the goal. This time around, the natural environment itself is highly interactive and seems to require careful navigation. There are even mini-bosses around the overworld to pose a challenge. Add 100 shrines onto that, and dungeons almost seem unnecessary.
      [pitch meeting] Okay so it's a ton of dogs. Dalmatians. 100 of 'em. I call it "100 Dalmatians." [idea man pipes in] Let's think bigger

- Ristolable
    • I think it's a matter of motivation that worries me and others. Since shrines are a way to get runes and spirit orbs, does that mean that we'll have over 100 runes by the time we are done? Sounds like a lot of items. If not, I wonder what they are going to add as a place holder in these minidungeons. Would be cool if u acquired a weapon of some sort and the shrine was just a hub for a classic boss battle

The post was edited 1 time, last by ALINKTOTHEPARK ().

• ALINKTOTHEPARK wrote:

I think it's a matter of motivation that worries me and others. Since shrines are a way to get tunes and spirit orbs, does that mean that we'll have over 100 runes by the time we are done? Sounds like a lot of items. If not, I wonder what they are going to add as a place holder in these minidungeons. Would be cool if u acquired a weapon of some sort and the shrine was just a hub for a classic boss battle
      It looks like there's just one rune that they don't acquire in the demo. I think most shrines will contain stuff like rare weapons and materials. The Spirit Orbs are also said to be involved in gaining upgrades.
      [pitch meeting] Okay so it's a ton of dogs. Dalmatians. 100 of 'em. I call it "100 Dalmatians." [idea man pipes in] Let's think bigger

- Ristolable
    • ALINKTOTHEPARK wrote:

I would think there would be more runes than what we saw in the demo. It's likely they would have only the slots neccessary for the runes in the demo only. Maybe there are more slots in the full game.
      Maybe, but there were only four shrines in the demo. There was a slot for one more rune, but no one obtained it in the demo, so I think it's most likely that they showed slots for every rune in the game.

- Ristolable
    • Not a fan of only 4 dungeons. However the last shrine they showed us was pretty long, maybe like a fifth of the size of a dungeon. The fact that they showed us this makes me think there are far more complex and long shrines out there and maybe some that mimic the aspects of dungeons. This wouldn't be a perfect replacement because the classic Zelda dungeon just has its own character, but it would help.
      "An impressive-looking blade... But nothing more. Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade... and use it to blot out the light forever!"
    • Ehhhh, if these dungeons resembled their 2D counterparts (large, dangerous mazes) then I'd be a bit sadder at the fact that there were only four of them. But I don't trust Aonuma that much so I'm just gonna straight up say that 100 shrines combined is probably going to have more 3D-Zelda-dungeon-esque content than any other Zelda game.

I actually kinda hope that the dungeons are more about mazes and dangerous enemies, since we've got more than enough puzzles in the Shrines.
    • I thought four dungeons were way too few in Majora's Mask, and the key reason was because they comprised the entirety of the game's main quest. Breath of the Wild takes a very different approach to its main quest, however, letting you head off to fight the final boss whenever you might be pleased to do so. This, and the prominence of a great deal of shrines that seem to serve the sort of function that dungeons seem to have served in past 3D Zelda titles (that is to say, puzzles themed around a certain item/power with some combat sprinkled in between) in a sort of miniaturized way, which leaves the impression that dungeons will take on a different approach.

Personally, I am hoping for something akin to the best examples we know from titles like Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess - dungeons with a great atmosphere, where you feel like you have a set goal in each dungeon that isn't merely limited to getting to the end so you can collect the thing. But for me to be even remotely okay with just four dungeons, I need all four to be good at the very least. And even then, I'm probably gonna wish that there had been more dungeons in the game.

I hope they do something cool and exciting with the dungeons this time around. With what I mentioned about the shrines, it'd make the most sense for them to use this opportunity to do something new with them.
    • I'm fine with the 4 dungeons. Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are my favorite games in the franchise and they have the least amount of dungeons. I do not play Zelda for the dungeons and I never enjoyed them particularly. They were always the main thing that held the more recent 3D games back for me. They just feel like a completely fake shoebox sized maze full of puzzles and a boss at the end that couldn't possibly have any real purpose in the game universe other than challenge the player (hence gamey).

I'm happy that the new game is putting them on the backseat and giving us a massive world to interact with that has many more possibilities than a dank dungeon ever could. With that being said, I'm glad they did add the dungeons, they will be fun for breaking up the pace - especially the "over 100" shrines. I just don't want to go back to dungeons being half or more of the game.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 2 times, last by Please Understand ().

• I understand that 4 dungeons is overall a fair number, considering how huge the dungeons were rumored to be way back in 2013/2012(?), when they first hinted at the development of the game.

I also understand the scale of the game itself and how too many dungeons would be beyond the Wii U's capabilities, since they already claimed to be pushing the system to its max with what they had.

However, that does not mean that I am not even a tiny bit disappointed, since it lessens the chance of old dungeons returning (please let there be the return of the Shadow Temple or at least one very similar, please) , since creating new temples would be far more of a priority, what with there only being 4 dungeons able to be added.

Celebrating 3 whole years of ZU membership -- 8/22/2015 - 8/22/2018