Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Breath of the Wild's Timeline Placement Theories (SPOILERS) [READ OP BEFORE POSTING]
  • We still have the same issue Vitam ... you claim strong conclusions, on things that are definitively not strong evidences, but just personnal interpretations.
    In my own language, I would say "put a little bit of water in your wine". Because all we are speaking about are speculations, and depending on how you interpret what you have seen, there is a lot of possible explanations.
    And we will only know for sure what the truth is when the game will be released in less than two month.


    VitamLink92 wrote:

    The big problem is, there would not be any explanation as to why BotW is a parallel version of OoT.

    There could be one. Nothing avoids the game to involve some time mechanic, that will allows to have a two ending situation.
    For instance, after defeating CG in the present, Link could use the Gate of Time to modify the past trying to undo the whole 100 years of decline.
    I'm not saying it will happen, but that's not out of the picture, even if it is just speculations.

    VitamLink92 wrote:

    The OoT split worked in first place (until the Downfall Timeline became a thing) because we had OoT's TWO endings as an explanation to back up Split Timeline idea in the first place. Here, we DON'T have that. We'd be left scratching our heads asking why this anonymous split from an unknown source exists!

    In fact, with the right interpretation of OoT ending, you can already claim three timelines.
    1) AT: Future where Link defeat Ganondorf.
    2) CT : Past where Link is send by Zelda to warn the royal family and where the sacred realm is never opened.
    3) DT : The past "connected" to the future during the game where Ganondorf entered the sacred realm.
    Now you could say that my third timeline is just the past of the AT. And here comes interpretation.
    In the ending, Zelda send Link back in time, and Link close the gate of time.
    But the exact flow of events is up to interpretation:
    A) Link put the MS back, consequently he arrives as usual in the past where Ganondorf already entered the sacred realm.
    B) Link close the gate of time, disconnecting the future and the past, creating two timelines : the AT and the DT, as in this past Ganondorf entered the sacred realm, but Link in the ending close the gate of time before Ganondorf managed to reach the triforce, and thus in that past Ganondorf is stuck with the full trifoce inside the sacred realm.
    C) Then, as the gate of time is closed, Zelda action with the OoT apply, sending Link back to their first meeting. Creating a third timeline, where Ganondorf will never enter the sacred realm.
    You may say that this is not fitting with ALttP backstory.
    I will reply that ALttP backstory is a legend, and the only thing we need to set up the DT, is a Ganon/Ganondorf trapped in the sacred realm with the full triforce (thing that is provided by the above interpretation). And in that version, Link has been defeated in front of Hyrule castle (just before retrieving the Ocarina of Time), in a battle not that epic :).

    That's how you can easy build head canon that explain a lot of thing. Obviously this explanation is not the one picked up or aimed by Nintendo, but according to ingame content, it makes sense.

    So you don't like the DT split, fine. But it didn't mean that their will never be a game that will feature the creation of that split. BotW could be such a game, or a future one, or this can never be presented. This is up to Zelda devellopers.
    It is not because we don't have that yet, that we will never have it.
    If I follow your line of thinking, it is Like saying that you cannot make a prequel to an existing game since by the time of the first game the prequel didn't exists ... that is not making sense at all.


    VitamLink92 wrote:

    It's to just follow by the idea that BotW is in-between MM and TP cause it makes so much better sense.

    Yeah it make sense, but not that much better as you think it is.
    Ganon apearance is an issue, Ganondorf is supposed to be in the twilight realm during this time period, and is supposed to still being Ganondorf, not a giant boar cloud that spawn monsters at will.
    OoT Link is suposed to become the Hero Shade in that timeline, which implicitely means that there should not be a Hero between him and TP Link. And considering that the Hero Shade backstory, he cannot be the one in BotW that will defeat Ganon.
    So in fact, on that side the OoT-TP, in the way it is done up to now, is not fitting that well if BotW happen in the meantime. Of course it can, but since we don't have the full story, it is hard to say.

    As I said already few times, it depends on what you are focussing on. For exemple, if you focuss on Link defeat, it makes sense for him to be OoT Link but in the DT.
    This can in fact even be a DT-CT split (that happens after AT split), but that would be a retcon of HH timeline (and I will not devellop this idea in this post, that is already big enough).

    VitamLink92 wrote:

    Even if they have to "retcon" the GDT's life status or anything else. Either way, the game has to be in the Child Timeline.

    No, you want the game to be in the CT, it didn't mean that it have to be. You know the slight difference between what you want and what will happen ? It is what we called the difference between dreams and reality.
    Btw, the GDT we saw on the trailer could be the GDT sprout from OoT. Character disign is not a that big issue. Or it can be the sprout of the sprout ... who knows ? No one yet, except of Nintendo peoples.

    VitamLink92 wrote:

    Especially since it's confirmed that the game is supposed to connect to TP.

    What have been said is that when playing BotW, you will have some "Oh, I see ..." moments regarding to TP.
    This declaration is quite cryptic, are they speeking in term of gameplay ? of story-line ?
    Even if it was about the story, it didn't imply CT.
    For instance, DT and CT shares the same past, so for exemple if you put a game in the DT and feature Oocca and the dominion rod (assuming the bird-men are Oocca), then for sure it would be a "Oh, I see ..." moment in term of scenario, but it doesn't require the game to be in the CT for such a thing.

    This could also be Pre-OoT, and thus could be in all timelines (but related to a plot-elements of TP). Because the ToT on the great plateau can be restored. After all BotW could be the hyrulean civil war. With an ending where we see the MS going back to the ToT, and an hylian mother going to the GDT with a young boy, that will become Link next incarnation in OoT. (even if I agree that would imply a slightly retcon of OoT backstory)
    There is also counter argument to this timeline spot, but as they are for any with what we know so far.

    There is so much we didn't see about this game, that with the correct story-telling it can fit almost everywere (except post-WW, that would barely make sense, because of new-hyrule).

    VitamLink92 wrote:

    If it only happened in the Downfall Timeline, then Aonuma OFFICIAL words last year would be broken, left meaningless, and thrown totally out the window, forgotten, as if he never spoke them.

    No, It would mean that you mis-interpreted his words. If he is speaking in terms of gameplay, then the BotW-TP relation may have nothing to do with the story or the timeline placement.

    Cheers
  • Okay. Has anyone mentioned the fact that in the BOTW Switch Presentation, there was a character who looked akin to Darunia(And might be him)?

    As of now, this could really be in any of the timelines, post-OOT. It can't be post-WW due to how the landscaping is (grassy).
    I also feel like it can't be post-TP either, as there was clear evidence of the Gerudo being around.
    It might be pre-LTTP. (I have no evidence to support it or counter it, but for the fact of Ganon basically taking over).

    I'm really up for this being in any of the timelines. Or even a new one. :mastahsword:
    With their magical, wishing powers the three Triforce pieces, Power, Courage, and Wisdom have once again saved the day and the land of Hyrule! :mastahsword:


    Release the fandom! :mastahsword: :moon:
  • CallofthewildOot wrote:

    Okay. Has anyone mentioned the fact that in the BOTW Switch Presentation, there was a character who looked akin to Darunia(And might be him)?

    Yeah, it have been discussed.
    For sure this guy lokk like an aged version of Darunia.
    But is it Darunia ? Is it "Link the Goron" ? Some other Darunia related character ?
    It is hard to say up to now.


    CallofthewildOot wrote:

    As of now, this could really be in any of the timelines, post-OOT. It can't be post-WW due to how the landscaping is (grassy).
    I also feel like it can't be post-TP either, as there was clear evidence of the Gerudo being around.
    It might be pre-LTTP. (I have no evidence to support it or counter it, but for the fact of Ganon basically taking over).

    Yeah, OoT-ALttP and OoT-TP are quite likely with what we have seen so far.
    Post-TP can have some support (Hyrule castle), but would be quite disturbing looking at the great plateau. Because it would require the lost wood in TP to have been turned back into a used place at some point.
    Post-WW is ruled out, due to Link and Zelda incarnations being in New-Hyrule
    Post-ALttP is hard to support if we assumed infos in HH. As we can be quite sure that the resting place of the MS in BotW is most likely not the sacred-grove, but just a temporary resting place.
    The sacred grove being most likely a decayed version of the ToT (as seen on ALBW artworks).
    OoT-WW, even if possible would somehow go against what is implied by WW backstory.
    SS-OoT is still a possibility, but would require the Great Plateau to be rebuild at some point after BotW.
    And for sure a whole new timeline is still possible (but i don't really see the point of making more complex a timeline that is already complex enough, and that offer a lot of freedom).

    But the whole Zelda-ritual in the fountain clearly refers to SS, and the fountain look like ruins of the SS one. Would that imply that the game is not that distant to SS in terms of amount of time ?
    Could this red-zora being ancesters to OoT zoras ?
    So here is my top 3 timeline spot:
    1) OoT-TP
    2) OoT-ALttP (or SS-ALttP)
    3) SS-OoT (so Ganon would appear prior Ganondorf, as a manifestation of Demise Hatred)
    Both have strong suporting elements but also some issues to be explained. So let see what will happen.
  • if we take the name of the statue that comes with the master edition of the game at face value of being called The Master Sword of Resurrection.

    If what we see in the trailer of Zelda infront of the GDT with the sword is her (possibly unknownly) bring the GDT make to life? That wou
    Fokerru wrote:

    Fokerru wrote:

    CallofthewildOot wrote:

    Okay. Has anyone mentioned the fact that in the BOTW Switch Presentation, there was a character who looked akin to Darunia(And might be him)?
    Yeah, it have been discussed.
    For sure this guy lokk like an aged version of Darunia.
    But is it Darunia ? Is it "Link the Goron" ? Some other Darunia related character ?
    It is hard to say up to now.


    CallofthewildOot wrote:

    As of now, this could really be in any of the timelines, post-OOT. It can't be post-WW due to how the landscaping is (grassy).
    I also feel like it can't be post-TP either, as there was clear evidence of the Gerudo being around.
    It might be pre-LTTP. (I have no evidence to support it or counter it, but for the fact of Ganon basically taking over).
    Yeah, OoT-ALttP and OoT-TP are quite likely with what we have seen so far.
    Post-TP can have some support (Hyrule castle), but would be quite disturbing looking at the great plateau. Because it would require the lost wood in TP to have been turned back into a used place at some point.
    Post-WW is ruled out, due to Link and Zelda incarnations being in New-Hyrule
    Post-ALttP is hard to support if we assumed infos in HH. As we can be quite sure that the resting place of the MS in BotW is most likely not the sacred-grove, but just a temporary resting place.
    The sacred grove being most likely a decayed version of the ToT (as seen on ALBW artworks).
    OoT-WW, even if possible would somehow go against what is implied by WW backstory.
    SS-OoT is still a possibility, but would require the Great Plateau to be rebuild at some point after BotW.
    And for sure a whole new timeline is still possible (but i don't really see the point of making more complex a timeline that is already complex enough, and that offer a lot of freedom).

    But the whole Zelda-ritual in the fountain clearly refers to SS, and the fountain look like ruins of the SS one. Would that imply that the game is not that distant to SS in terms of amount of time ?
    Could this red-zora being ancesters to OoT zoras ?
    So here is my top 3 timeline spot:
    1) OoT-TP
    2) OoT-ALttP (or SS-ALttP)
    3) SS-OoT (so Ganon would appear prior Ganondorf, as a manifestation of Demise Hatred)
    Both have strong suporting elements but also some issues to be explained. So let see what will happen.
    it looked like zelda was washing off to me. It looked like she was rubbing/washing the upper part of her arms but maybe i need to take a closer look lol.
  • ToriCityCondor wrote:

    it looked like zelda was washing off to me. It looked like she was rubbing/washing the upper part of her arms but maybe i need to take a closer look lol.

    Yeah, it was looking like some sort of purification ritual to me.
    Was it the ritual done by Zelda-SS to bring back Hylia memories ?
    In that case, it offer interesting possibilities. Like when Zelda says "All I've done up to now, It was for nothing", may be interpreted as a sentence pronounced by Hylia (with her full memory), and not simply by Zelda.
    In that case, it could imply that Calamity Ganon is the first manifestation of Demise hatred, and then Zelda is crying, just realizing that becoming human, all her plan in SS was just pointless and was "for nothing" as Demise Hatred is back after all.

    If we assumed that this sentence is pronounced by a Zelda with the whole Hylia memories, it would be weird to see such a reaction if Ganon is just a common foe that have already threaten hyrule numerous times.

    And thus, this game would feature Ganon first appearance, and Ganondorf could named after the Demon King, and just appearing later in the timeline. Leaving space for the game to be Pre-OoT.

    This would fit quite weel with several elements:
    --> The GDT alive (assuming it is the OoT one)
    --> The old Gorons being some Darunia ancester (if he had a hammer I would have put a coin on the Hero of the Goron, but he just a giant sword)

    That's also something insteresting, the people wearing blue outfit all are displayed with a specific weapon:
    --> Goron : Two handed sword
    --> Zora : Trident
    --> Bird : Bow
    So all these guys have fighting duty to fullfill. Are they the "riders" of the the four mechanical beast seen on the BotW collector edition map ? The fourth rider being the Gerudo-like girl.
    Are this four mechanical beast some apocalypse four-horsemen reference ?
    At least such Idea is suported by the December trailer with the Bird Guy going to the flying mechanical bird when it seems not yet corrupted by Ganon influence, and by the new trailer when we see Link and the Gerudo Girl in front of what seems to be a not activated mechanical camel.
  • You people don't seem to understand that if Time Travel is involved, Link can only go back to when Calamity Ganon first emerged and started wrecking everything. He would be going to a time that almost parallel with the future era in OoT.

    That's what meant by no explanation. There wouldn't be a way to logically explain why there's a split from some unknown point. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm saying it's very unlikely Nintendo would do this without a game to come directly before OoT to explain why there's another split.

    Especially when there's already so many story/lore surrounding connection hints pointing towards a Child Timeline placement. Aonuma clearly said that the exclusive easter eggs and secrets in TP HD and moments in BotW will bring "Oh, I see!" moments and that the games are strongly connected. Implying that this game is either in the Pre-Split timeline or the Child Timeline. And we know now, because of the GDT and Link's relationship, it can't be in the Pre-Split Timeline.

    The only possibilities that this game could still connect to the Downfall Timeline without interfering with it's already confirmed connection to TP in the Child Timeline is:
    • If there is time travel
    • If there is a canon scenario where Link fails again
    Other than that, this game is clearly intended to be a TP prequel telling the story of how the Hero of Time became the Hero's Shade.

    Post by Castigear ().

    This post was deleted by FroyoClaus: Spam. Will PM you :c ().

    Post by PJC ().

    This post was deleted by FroyoClaus: Response to deleted post. ().
  • I certainly don't have the same extensive set of knowledge that some of the others here seem to have, but I think I have a clear idea of the major events. So, here's my take.

    It seems clear that when Nintendo set out to make the biggest Hyrule (or perhaps simply the biggest world; I'm not sure we have any proof that the entire thing is Hyrule) they took special care to incorporate many areas that fans of previous games would recognize.

    We've already seen the Temple of Time and Market Town from Ocarina of Time, Hyrule Castle and Castle Town from Twilight Princess, and one of the sacred springs from Skyward Sword.

    In the past, fans have attempted to place the world maps of various Zelda games on top of each other to try and figure out the geography if Hyrule as a whole. While there are certainly some similarities sometimes, it became clear that the geography wasn't consistent. This led to the idea that perhaps certain locations moved or were renamed over time. That is, maybe Death Mountain isn't just one mountain but instead whatever mountain happened to be the biggest baddest mountain of that time period. This is, of course, just speculation.

    Regardless, it now seems that Nintendo is taking the time to build a complete Hyrule on a very large scale.

    We've already seen a few major references, and I would be shocked if we do not see more. There are already some good candidates. An easy one is the possible ruins of Ocarina of Time's Spirit Temple in the latest trailer.

    Now, something related that I used to hear a lot in the old timeline discussions is the idea that just because something doesn't appear in a specific game doesn't mean it no longer exists. A good example of this is the Gerudo. They rarely appear in games. In Twilight Princess, they seem to be gone, but then they show up in Four Swords Adventures, which is supposed to be placed after Twilight Princess in the timeline.

    Remembering this idea, I do not think it is unreasonable to say that the world maps of games like Twilight Princess or Four Swords Adventures do not give an accurate representation of the scope of Hyrule. That is, they show only what is relevant to the events that are happening in the game and nothing more. In other words, i see no reason the sacred springs of Skyward Sword could not have survived until a later era.

    I think the evidence so far points toward a post-Twilight Princess story; possibly even post-Four Swords Adventures. Though, I understand there may still be a geography issue with Four Swords Adventures because it depicts Hyrule as an island. I would, again, suggest that the games aren't giving us an accurate picture of Hyrule's complete geography. That is, Hyrule may be an island all the time, but we just don't see every shore in every game.

    Regardless, I feel that the Child Timeline offers the most freedom.

    The Adult Timeline already has a New Hyrule established with its own set of rules (that is, the Spirit Tracks running across the world). Any other game set in New Hyrule would need to address why the Spirit Tracks are gone; or it would need to include the Spirit Tracks in the overworld. This is certainly possible, but all of our trailers and gameplay from Breath of the Wild have been distinctly lacking train tracks.

    The Downfall Timeline is an interesting selection. I personally hope it is not in this timeline because I already think it is quite odd, and even unfortunate, that so many of my favorite Legend of Zelda games take place in a reality where the Hero of Time died. Even so, I do think that post-The Adventure of Link is a possibility. There is some freedom to add a new story there.

    But overall, I think the Child Timeline is the most likely candidate, and I'd like to see it take place post-Four Swords Adventures despite the geography problem.

    Post-Skyward Sword is certainly not impossible. I just think it's very unlikely given the ruins we see.

    I find it curious that so many are suggesting that Breath of the Wild takes place in the back story of existing games. This seems very unlike Nintendo. We've seen direct sequels to Zelda games, and we received Skyward Sword as the origin story of all Zelda games, but we have never seen events explains in a cut scene in one Zelda game and then made playable in a game released years later (though I understand that Four Swords Adventures was originally going to fill in the back story of A Link to the Past).

    I think there's a good reason for this: it's boring if you already know what's going to happen. Sure, the details are never mentioned in the introduction, but anyone familiar with The Minish Cap would realize part-way through that they were playing as the Hero of Men when the Picori show up and hand you a sword. Once you know that, you know the outcome of the game, and you also know the futility of the outcome.

    There are stories that fans have asked to see and predicted we will see, but I don't think Nintendo really wants to do it. We don't need games that simply retell a story we've already heard. This includes the War of the Bound Chest, the Hyrule Unification War, the Great Flood, the Dark Interlopers, the fate of the Hero of Time (that is, post-Majora's Mask) and/or Ganondorf's banishment, the Imprisoning War, and Sleeping Zelda. These stories have already been told. We may not know every detail, but we don't need to know every detail. We know the parts that matter: these events set the stage for the full games that we play through.

    With that said, I think it is incredibly unlikely that Nintendo will place Breath of the Wild into a spot where it serves no purpose but to retell the back story of another Zelda game. If it were to fill in one of those spots, it would seem a stunning disappointment following so much time spend waiting.

    Breath of the Wild is a fresh start for the Zelda series, and a fresh start needs freedom. The best place to put a new game in an existing timeline with the least amount of baggage to worry about is to place it in the Child Timeline; preferably at the very end of the timeline long after Four Swords Adventures.

    EDIT: Holy crap this post is long. What have I done?
    TLDR: Breath of the Wild is at the very end of the Child Timeline, post Four Swords Adventures. Maybe after Twilight Princess instead.
    Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

    How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

    Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua
  • Ok, seriously, this is PISSING ME OFF. I don't intend on being rude or mean, but VitamLink92 seems to have absolutely ZERO idea on the difference between "speculation" and "confirmation."

    Castigear wrote:

    Ah ah ah...I said the GDT was definitely dead in the CT and the AT. We still do not know the actual circumstances that create the DT.

    What if, say, instead of cursing the GDT, Ganondorf manages to curse the Master Sword, and as a result Link is weaker and is struck down easily? We know Link was having nightmares of Ganondorf, what if Ganondorf was having nightmares of Link too? Just speculating.

    The appearance of a Deku Tree that seems to look so similar to the original makes me feel as though this is the story of the origin of the DT (in flashbacks), leading into the Imprisoning war.

    Hear me out. Imagine the beginning of Ocarina, but Ganondorf cursed the Master Sword instead of the Deku Tree. Link goes to Zelda, and for the next several years they (with the Deku Tree's help) try to defeat Ganondorf normally because they have no access to the Master Sword or the Temple of Time. He gains in power, and without the help of the Master Sword Link eventually succumbs to Ganon's forces. Flash forward to 100 years later.
    I actually very much agree. Especially after someone translated the map that talks about the calamity known as Ganon being "sealed", and we've still got those allies joining Link who could easily be "Knights of Hyrule". The blue is what signifies them, and Link, as Knights of Hyrule.

    The events of Ocarina of Time happened differently in the downfall timeline, Link wasn't sealed for Seven Years (perhaps because of this original bad end that happened), maybe the Great Deku Tree didn't even die, he becomes a Knight of Hyrule but is overwhelmed because Ganondorf gets the full triforce. And Zelda blames herself because it IS her fault; she's the one who sent Link on his quest.


    The only problem is Impa's statement (I'm absolutely certain it is Impa) but I think its referring to Demise. Based on everything we see I can't see this being a late timeline game. Everything adds up to it being the Imprisoning War, which occurs 100 years after the Sealing War.
    deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

    Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

    I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).
  • JaidynReiman wrote:

    Based on everything we see I can't see this being a late timeline game.

    Completely agree, everything point toward a near-OoT story.
    1) The state of the ToT and the Great Plateau being the Sealed ground
    2) The selected set of species (Goron, Zora, Korok, Sheikah, Gerudo)
    3) The Great Deku Tree
    4) The overall geography that mimics the one from OoT


    JaidynReiman wrote:

    Everything adds up to it being the Imprisoning War, which occurs 100 years after the Sealing War.

    I'm less convinced by this specific location, in fact my opinion switch from timeline slot to timeline slot depending on what I'm thinking at.
    1) Link's defeat scream ALttP
    2) Hyrule castle scream TP
    3) Zelda rituals scream SS
    So, if I would put a coin on near-OoT, the exact direction in which going from there is still unclear to me.
  • Fokerru wrote:

    JaidynReiman wrote:

    Based on everything we see I can't see this being a late timeline game.
    Completely agree, everything point toward a near-OoT story.
    1) The state of the ToT and the Great Plateau being the Sealed ground
    2) The selected set of species (Goron, Zora, Korok, Sheikah, Gerudo)
    3) The Great Deku Tree
    4) The overall geography that mimics the one from OoT


    JaidynReiman wrote:

    Everything adds up to it being the Imprisoning War, which occurs 100 years after the Sealing War.
    I'm less convinced by this specific location, in fact my opinion switch from timeline slot to timeline slot depending on what I'm thinking at.
    1) Link's defeat scream ALttP
    2) Hyrule castle scream TP
    3) Zelda rituals scream SS
    So, if I would put a coin on near-OoT, the exact direction in which going from there is still unclear to me.
    Hyrule Castle isn't a good argument though. That's a "we like that design, we're using it here" situation. The story is what's important.


    That's why I'm not really worried about the Great Deku Tree's appearance. I like that he's based more on OOT, but it doesn't mean its the same one. What really hints at this is him seeming to have a close connection to Link, knowing Link personally. There are only two games where Link has met the Great Deku Tree, and one of them obviously can't be the case.

    I mean, yeah, it could be a new setting, but it still ties closely to the whole "shortly after OOT" theme. And given the state of the Great Deku Tree in the child timeline...
    deviantART | Google+ | Github | Twitter | Facebook | Runescape | PSNProfiles | Backloggery

    Chibi Avatar by RazorX5175

    I've now started a new web novel, "Relm of Kuhraiy." Check it out at my deviantART (website coming soon).
  • JaidynReiman wrote:

    Hyrule Castle isn't a good argument though. That's a "we like that design, we're using it here" situation. The story is what's important.

    Sure, but some "reference" landmarks are relevant too.
    For instance, it is not only the Castle istself that indicates something.
    It is more the fact that we have two set of ruins, one matching OoT castle, and one matching TP castle, with the right relative position.
    And this second castle, is a place we never saw in the DT (assuming that the sacred grove in ALttP in the sealed ground).
    Because with the last trailer, I really found the idea of the sacred grove and the MS-place in BotW being the same very unlikely.

    Now, I can hear the idea that BotW is the reason why this castle never appeared in the DT, because he has been destroyed during the IW.
    But still, this two set set of ruins sounds more like a TP reference to me. And it is too close to not be on purpuse.
    So I would not say it is a proof, but at least, IMO, it deserves to be taken into account.


    JaidynReiman wrote:

    That's why I'm not really worried about the Great Deku Tree's appearance. I like that he's based more on OOT, but it doesn't mean its the same one. What really hints at this is him seeming to have a close connection to Link, knowing Link personally. There are only two games where Link has met the Great Deku Tree, and one of them obviously can't be the case.
    I completely agree, it could be very well a different one (the sprout, the sprout of the sprout, ...).
    I still think that the Link-GDT relation is not that indicative, as it just means that BotW Link knew the GDT 100 years before the game (considering that Link was respected by Hyrule royal family, that he has the MS, it is not surprising that he knows a guardian spirit like the GDT).
    I agree it might be a hint, but I'm not convinced up to now that it can be considered as a proof we will be playing OoT-Link (even if I really want BotW Link to be OoT Link, and I think that there very good chances for that to happen).

    Also, the problem of BotW being rised by the GDT is the missing green tunic. Even if it is possible to claim that he switch is green tunic for the blue color of the royal family.


    JaidynReiman wrote:

    I mean, yeah, it could be a new setting, but it still ties closely to the whole "shortly after OOT" theme. And given the state of the Great Deku Tree in the child timeline...
    Sure. There is also few hints that point toward SS (even if it can be considered as retcon). I mean:
    --> Hylia status
    --> Zelda ritual in the fountain
    --> The reference to Ganon as a primal evil and not a Thief King (compared to ALttP backstory of Ganon).

    Also, even if the GDT is dead in the CT, but there is not reasons to think that the new GDT will not grow up in that timeline too.

    For sure, my favorite story would be the improsoning war (if possible that explain the DT split).
    But still, I see room for the game to be in other timeline slot.
  • HarmonicalHero wrote:

    Right now my Zelda conspiracy theory is that BotW is a sequel to Ocarina of Time, but a prequel to the Wind Waker.

    If everything floods at the end of BotW, I'm gonna laugh. :lol:
    The problem with that, though, is that Wind Waker's backstory is all about how there was no hero to save the day. The simple fact that Link is in this game shows that it couldn't be WW's backstory. That's not to say it couldn't be between OoT and WW, but it can't be the flood story.
    "That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney
  • Isn't that the same problem with the Imprisonning War though ?

    Also wasn't the only prior hero according to MC the Hero of Man one, and he isn't SS!Link ? Retcons happens all the time when Nintendo decide to do origin stories.

    I mean, in WW they take very seriously the "hero is dressed in green" legend, and BoTW!Link don't seem to have the green tunic as of now (he may get it, but it's not confirmed). So... Maybe there was a hero, but he didn't manage to save the kingdom (and had to flood it to allow his people to survive on the surface while Ganon was sealed underwater, so the kingdom is destroyed but its people are saved) and didn't look like the previous heroes, so nobody remember him.

    I mean, it would fit with Zelda's despair that everything they've done was all for nothing (it even rains in the scene where she cries). Plus WW never had been very consistant since while the hero of time disappeared, the triforce of courage is still there, albeit broken. Not to mention, this trailer open with water, the game open with water, in the beginning of the december trailer there was the sheikah's tear... Have the Sheikah always been so strongly tied to water ?

    Maybe the korogu already took this form because they know the danger is coming, while the zora can still take centuries before evolving into rito, maybe by interbreeding with this bird-race or something.
  • Bilboquet wrote:

    Isn't that the same problem with the Imprisonning War though ?
    ?
    There is no game about the Imprisoning War. It happens after OoT Link dies in the DT. So I'm not sure what your point is here, because it's not facing this problem, no.

    Bilboquet wrote:

    Also wasn't the only prior hero according to MC the Hero of Man one, and he isn't SS!Link ?
    It's been a while but I don't think he was said to be the only hero before MC. He was just the only one relevant, so the only one warranted a mention. Like how FSA doesn't mention TP Link at all.

    Bilboquet wrote:

    (it even rains in the scene where she cries).
    Rain is a pretty common storytelling element in dramatic scenes though.

    Bilboquet wrote:

    Have the Sheikah always been so strongly tied to water ?
    I think it's a bit hasty to say they're being "strongly" tied to water here. I mean, their symbol has always had that teardrop ever since we first met them. It's not something new BotW added.


    There's also things like the monsters attacking Hyrule Castle in TWW, which wouldn't really make sense since in BotW the castle is already occupied by Calamity Ganon, and no Ganon's Tower visible next to the castle in BotW when it was there in TWW. The old woman in the trailer says the Calamity Ganon has a long history with the royal family, but by TWW's backstory Ganon had only appeared once, in OoT. That's not a long history.

    While Nintendo can do what they want, I just don't see any similarities between this game and TWW's backstory besides a general "darkest hour" feeling, and too many inconsistencies. The biggest one is Link's presence, but it's not the only one. And even if we say there was a Link in the backstory but history didn't remember him because he failed, that means the game ends with Link losing. I just honestly can't imagine Nintendo doing that.
    "That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney
  • Reign wrote:

    The old woman in the trailer says the Calamity Ganon has a long history with the royal family, but by TWW's backstory Ganon had only appeared once, in OoT. That's not a long history.

    Exactly she said:
    "The Hystory of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of Calamity Ganon, a primal evil that has endured over the ages."
    There is several way to read that. Someone has the Japanese version ?

    French version:
    "Depuis les temps les plus reculés, l'histoire de la famille royale d'hyrule est intimement liée à celle du fléau, ce monstre que l'on nomme Ganon."

    Which is already slightly different. A rough translation would be:
    "Since the very early times, the history of the royale family of Hyrule is closely tied to the history of the scourge, this monster named Ganon."

    So essentially, in this two language, we know that the link between Ganon and the royal family is old. It fact, the way it said seems to imply that since the very beginning of Hyrule the royal family is linked with this primal evil. Which is true according to SS.

    So I would say that this sentence imply that a long amount of time have passed since SS (ages basically), but not necessarly imply that Ganon appeared in the meantime.
    In fact this way of speaking about Ganon like a primal evil instead of Thief King makes me think that it could be very early (but still ages after SS) in the timeline compared to other game.
  • Reign wrote:

    Bilboquet wrote:

    Isn't that the same problem with the Imprisonning War though ?
    ?There is no game about the Imprisoning War. It happens after OoT Link dies in the DT. So I'm not sure what your point is here, because it's not facing this problem, no.

    I said the IW because it is a popular theory that always resurface whenever a new game is announced. So my point is, if it's a sound theory, well, the Story of the Flood is, too (and indeed, it's not a rare theory). I mean, If I had to chose, I'd prefer not to (Link doesn't have to be in every big events in Hyrule History), for both of them (come on, the IW is just perfect for a Sheik-game like they mentioned. Now that I think of it, the Flood too) but still. I'm just saying, it's not such a big issue, and BoTW's placement being confusing enough, we can't just rule out anything. Honestly, with Linebeck and Fierce Deity's costumes in TFH, the DT would probably have been last in everyone's theories lol (tho those are DLC but still).


    Bilboquet wrote:

    Also wasn't the only prior hero according to MC the Hero of Man one, and he isn't SS!Link ?
    It's been a while but I don't think he was said to be the only hero before MC. He was just the only one relevant, so the only one warranted a mention. Like how FSA doesn't mention TP Link at all.

    So, my point still stands : they can add a hero whenever they want to make a game for him. FSA came before TP after all. Also, LoZ1 never mentioned ALBW. It's always changing.

    Bilboquet wrote:

    (it even rains in the scene where she cries).
    Rain is a pretty common storytelling element in dramatic scenes though.

    You're right, I was just saying it like a "well maybe this thing could have more meaning than we thought !" funny foreshadowing. It's not a proof or anything, of course (then again, very few things are proof in the Zelda verse, as technology, characters and architecture, and even geography, are very inconsistent. I think this topic is full of, well, proof of that phenomenon)

    Bilboquet wrote:

    Have the Sheikah always been so strongly tied to water ?
    I think it's a bit hasty to say they're being "strongly" tied to water here. I mean, their symbol has always had that teardrop ever since we first met them. It's not something new BotW added.

    Granted it's a bit hasty, just some wild theories.

    There's also things like the monsters attacking Hyrule Castle in TWW, which wouldn't really make sense since in BotW the castle is already occupied by Calamity Ganon, and no Ganon's Tower visible next to the castle in BotW when it was there in TWW. The old woman in the trailer says the Calamity Ganon has a long history with the royal family, but by TWW's backstory Ganon had only appeared once, in OoT. That's not a long history.

    Well, there's still a game to take place between the beginning of BoTW and WW, so a lot of things can happen to the castle (the trailer showed way more story than I thought BoTW would have, so I had to up my expectations in terms of possible events)



    While Nintendo can do what they want, I just don't see any similarities between this game and TWW's backstory besides a general "darkest hour" feeling, and too many inconsistencies. The biggest one is Link's presence, but it's not the only one. And even if we say there was a Link in the backstory but history didn't remember him because he failed, that means the game ends with Link losing. I just honestly can't imagine Nintendo doing that.

    That's something that comes up a lot, but we can imagine an ending where they decide to ask the goddesses to flood the land to banish Ganon and save their people. So in a way, they did got rid of Ganon and saved their people, though it came at a cost. (but then again, WW did just that with its ending. The Kingdom was already forgotten and devoid of life, but still was still considered a "happy, nintendo ending", even though your main companion just drown before your eyes minutes before the credits)

    All in all, I'm just shrugging. I definitely place it after OOT, but even a UT timeline could work thanks to Nintendo's magic. I'm just throwing ideas out there and thinking in terms of where it has the most potential to enhance the story.
  • I just wanted to say here what is Zelda actually doing in the springs. She's trying to fix the master sword. In SS she needed to go to "empower" herself with her goddess' powers and recover her memories, only she can reawaken the true master sword.
    In WW we had Medli and Makar to do it in her stead. But Zelda is the one supposed to fix the master sword and give it the repelling evil ability.
    Don't tell me where BotW fits, I'll figure out myself. :mastahsword: