Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Breath of the Wild's Timeline Placement Theories (SPOILERS) [READ OP BEFORE POSTING]
  • The thing thar makes me most doubtful of the time between OoT and ALttP is the condition of that Master Sword. It can definitely be explained. But IDK about it.

As for the towns in AoL. Since the towns were taken out of the demo they could be busy towns. Or they could have gotten less busy for the passage of time. Btw, what if the reason the towns are removed are because of the info they receal. The AoL town names are definitely different from the rest of the series.

And if we're talking about the number of towns, if we look at the entire AoL map, the towns are much further apart than they seem playing through the game.
  • Pikastroff wrote:

I've been thinking about what was discussed earlier regarding BotW Link having to be SS Link if he is a returning Link, but if Nintendo managed to change the "handedness" of Link, which was well known, for gameplay purposes, then I'm sure Nintendo will not have a problem doing so with another Link

I think having Link-SS is very difficult to make it fit. Because by the time of BotW the Hyrule castle seems to already been in its TP, WW (pre-flood) or ALttP location, not in the OoT one, where the castle was probably first build after SS, considering that the E3-demo-area is most likely the Sealed Ground, and the ToT of OoT is most likely the Sealed Temple from SS (as it contains the only known gate of time after the destruction of the Lanayru-ToT Gate) and same as the ToT of BotW. This is supported by the Old Man saying that the Hyrule Kingdom started in that region.
    So a SS-OoT placement would imply that the castle has to be near the ToT (except if the Castle change of place before coming back to its OoT location).
    I think right/left-handed link is not a big issue, as for gameplay purpuse they can change it.
    But it open what question, is Link-TP left or right-handed ? Because depending on that, the way to read the TP-map is very different, and the matching with OoT-map also :) .

MaikeruShinigami wrote:

The thing thar makes me most doubtful of the time between OoT and ALttP is the condition of that Master Sword. It can definitely be explained. But IDK about it.

If somehow the sword lost it's power, and got exposed to climat alteration, getting so rusty in 100 years is not so disturbing.

Cheers,
    G>
  • Head to 36:14 in the Gamexplain's direct feed and you'll notice that Link picks up something called Rock Salt, which is described as "crystallized salt from the ancient sea". Add to this the fact that Link is very high up on a mountain, and this seems to be giving off a lot of WW-sequel vibes to me. Thoughts?

I tried to upload a screenshot but it says the file is too big.
    "An impressive-looking blade... But nothing more. Would you hear my desire? To take this foul blade... and use it to blot out the light forever!"

The post was edited 2 times, last by MortalDraw ().

• Pikastroff wrote:

Your idea regarding Ganon and Calamity Ganon is interesting. It does spark the question; why is there calamity" in front of the name?
    I wondered the same, then I saw the original footage. The old man says:
    "That... is the Calamity Ganon. It brought ruin and corruption etc."

The Calamity Ganon. I wonder if they can mean that Ganon was/is a calamity. Instead of that being his 'name'. Without any implications that it is not the regular Ganon.
    100% | Finished | Now playing:
    TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Hello All,

I just wanted to post something about all the theories about BoTW, and what I think about the timeline placement.

So far we are not seeing the Hero's Clothing yet, and that makes me think that it could be sometime after the Era of Chaos, but before Era of Prosperity. Which to me makes me think that with all the Sheikah stuff around we are dealing with a timeline that is between Skyward Sword and OOT.

Shigeru Miyamoto and Takashi Tezuka had always wanted to introduce a form of tech to the game even back in the original game where link was the connection between Future and Past, and with looking at all the Technology we can tell this is were the game is taking place more in less.

Era of Chaos is an interesting thing because with such a young kingdom being created there would be a lot of wrong decisions made and what if one of them was to create an AI of some sorts to help protect the country only to have it turn against you, and in the last hopes to help save Hyrule they locked link away in cryostasis knowing that the world would decline into chaos, just to bring Link back to help bring it back into Prosperity.

Sheikah's or the monks of the Sheikahs would be the primary advising personal well the kingdom was being established. This would be one reason they would of sealed themselves away as well knowing that when link had awaken they would be there for a guiding hand.

With not seeing any direct clothing changes made to link, and being that he would of abandoned his hero's clothing after returning the mastersword to the pedestal to help Zelda establish the kingdom not thinking that they would of need it. This link has to be the same from Skyward Swords. This is also represented by the fact he isn't new to comabt at the beginning of the game, if he was a new Link then you would have all kinds of training that you would have to go through.

I'm suspecting that this timeline as a difference of about 200 years just like any other time line changes, but with the decline of humanity the world gets covered in over growth. Look at the temple of time, and the bridges that are covered by dirt and sand. Also there is a giants skull in a small desert area. This is all indications of decline (well not the giants skull :P).

If you look at picture of what people think modern cities would look like if we let nature take over we would see this same growth take over. Also we haven't seen any other people yet because we have only seen what they gave us in the demo, but I suspect that we will find small communities around that are survivors of this decline.

Okay I'm going to side rail a bit about my theory of technology. When you played Skyward Sword there was a lot of what the Zelda universe would call tech. The Armos are a great example of energy being used to power a non-organic object. If you look at the Octoroks in the new game they look as if they were powered by some sort of magic or ENERGY, and whatever is powering them has been removed from the area, and all that is left is there un-powered bodies.

I know this isn't exactly what we would call modern tech, but with what link discovered well he was exploring the ground area in Skyward Sword this would all be information that would be given to the new kingdom, and someone would of figured out a way to use it.

SOOO ANYWAYS.. This is my theory let me know what you think... I wouldn't be half surprised that it doesn't fall within the Era of Chaos..

** Enough of that **

I know I'm just rambling on but I have a point to all this.

I'm a first year Zelda player, I have been playing Zelda since I was only 6, and have played and owed all the copies of Zelda ever released, and even own a copy of Japanese release versions as well.

I believe that some of the things in the current timeline could seem a bit off, but everyone has there own ideas were things should be placed.

EDIT:

Canyarion wrote:

Canyarion wrote:

The Calamity Ganon. I wonder if they can mean that Ganon was/is a calamity. Instead of that being his 'name'. Without any implications that it is not the regular Ganon.

Before anyone gets crazy about stuff umm, well you have to remember that Ganon is what physical form of Demise is called every 200 years, and it doesn't matter who takes on this form, if you remember Agahnim was only controlled by Ganon, but there was no Ganondorf present remember this.

Also in the child timeline we don't see Ganon until he is in Twlight because Ganondorf was sealed away before he could control over Hyrule.

There is a lot of back a forth with all this..

Thanks,

FBEpyon

The post was edited 3 times, last by FBEpyon ().

• MortalDraw wrote:

Head to 36:14 in the Gamexplain's direct feed and you'll notice that Link picks up something called Rock Salt, which is described as "crystallized salt from the ancient sea". Add to this the fact that Link is very high up on a mountain, and this seems to be giving off a lot of WW-sequel vibes to me. Thoughts?

Hum ... "ancient sea", not "great sea" ...
    We found fish fossils on top of mountains ... does it mean the word get flooded ? ;)

In fact, all these "obvious hints" to WW, are what make me think it is not a post-WW story.
    They go up to remove PNG from the demo to not spoil the game :lol: , and they let a Korok ? :tilt:

I would even be surprised if by the release of the game there is no Korok at all inside.
    Nintendo is trying to fool us. a post-WW installement seems obvious at first order (even Link blue tunic).

But when Looking deeper, it's probably the worst solution with all we know:
    --> The ToT from OoT in such a good shape after so long time under water ?
    --> Hyrule is destroyed and left for good at the end of WW (Tetra found New Hyrule. With Link ?)
    --> The Sheikah are not even mentionned in WW ? How could have they spread their high-tech all over the world by the time of BotW ?
    --> Why is the MS in it's pedestal, it should be in the head of Ganondorf.

So to be quick, WW seems not to work, if they chose this placement, it will be hard to make it fit.
    Let's hope they will not chose to put a second Hyrule kingdom (alongside New hyrule) in the AT.

Cheers,
    G>
  • I am all over the speculation in the thread and loving the observations everyone is making. Meanwhile, I've been thinking more deeply about Aonuma's shirt comment—how could the Eye of Sheikah, which we've mostly accepted as canon/ubiquitous, hint toward the timeline placement?

Few games have featured living members of the Sheikah clan, aside from Impa. Impa acts as a nursemaid and secret keeper in LoZ and AoL, though the concept of the Sheikah did not exist; OoS, OoA, and ALBW invoke nursemaid Impa, too. Impa herself doesn't show up in TP but the mysterious Impaz appears to be the last Sheikah standing in the timeline: she is "bound" to the Hidden Village by an unknown mission, commenting that Link's Dominion Rod makes him a "messenger to the heavens" and happens to have an ancient tome of secrets laying about.

OoT and SS have the most to say about the Sheikah. The Eye's first appearance was, of course, OoT, where it played a prominent role on gossip stones, the Mask of Truth, the Lens of Truth, and Sheik's outfit. OoT Impa, now an official Sheikah, explains her role as protector of Zelda and connection to Kakariko, a Sheikah village which Impa opened to the poor. Furthermore, her history implies that she was not alone in the village, though it was small and quiet. SS describes the Sheikah as Hylia's chosen guardians, protector of ancient relics, and mortal vessels of Hylia's wisdom. SS Impa demonstrates powerful magic and lives thousands of years before completing her mission and, ultimately, disappearing.

BotW puts the Sheikah at the front and center. The game starts by, first thing, handing you a Sheikah Slate. Intrepid explorers have found several Sheikah shrines with living Sheikah monks, who disappear much like SS Impa once Link fulfills the task at hand. Our favorite mystery Old Man weighs in on the issue first thing:

Zelda Wiki wrote:

It was the power and wisdom of the Sheikah that saved this land time and time again. But their civilization disappeared long ago... or so it is said.

So first thing, the Sheikah are said to have saved Hyrule repeatedly. Naturally, we don't know exactly how many time Hyrule has been saved (nor does Nintendo, as long as they keep making games), but at face value, I believe that means at least two released games have occurred between SS and BotW. Their civilization having disappeared long ago might not mean much... Relative to most people in Hyrule, 100 years is still a pretty long time.

TL;DR

If the Sheikah are as important as they seem, according to Aonuma and in the game, I think it's most likely an OoT sequel. OoT had lore space for a village of Sheikah. Assumably, some time had passed and the Sheikah invented (or revealed?) new technology. I'm not presently willing to commit to which timeline it's on, what with the Ganon (non-dorf) mention, though I'm leaning toward early Decline era, post-Imprisoning War.

There are at least 66% more words here than I meant to write. Whoops! :v:

[An aside! It's intriguing that a BotW Sheikah invokes Hylia (I can't recall who), though I'm inclined to say it's simply a reflection of expanded lore, not so much a clue about the game's timeline placement.]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Terapixel ().

Post by Krunch ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Pressed tab and hit enter accidentally, which posted the incomplete post ().
  • FBEpyon wrote:

Which to me makes me think that with all the Sheikah stuff around we are dealing with a timeline that is between Skyward Sword and OOT.

Post-Skyward Sword pre-Ocarina is, frankly, the last spot on the timeline I'd place this game on.

Hyrule, as a kingdom, exists, and it seems to have been in existence for a very long time, as there appears to be ruins of the old Hyrule kingdom (near the ToT) as well as the newer castle (in the distance) that's been taken over by evil. Both the Temple of Time and the Master Sword are shown as ancient, crumbling wrecks, and in the Master Sword's case it looks like its been a whole millennium since the sword was last found, not just a couple of centuries (it was just fine chilling in the ruins of the ToT in Twilight Princess despite the centuries that had passed between OoT and TP). The Sheikah seem to be completely wiped out, with only their spirits remaining if them disappearing into sparkles is any indication.

The only thing in favor of that placement is the fact that Hylia is referenced multiple times and her statue is seen, but ultimately it means nothing, just as the appearance of the Koroks doesn't necessarily prove that the game is placed post-Wind Waker (and indeed, one must ignore the proof of the Koroks when pointing out the "proof" of Hylia, and vice versa, thus making both meaningless).

That and I'm not particularly fond of fabricating things, like an evil AI or Link abandoning his clothes or everything happens every 200 years, to try and justify the game's placement. :\
  • In the end, I believe the most two most likely timelines are the Downfall Timeline and the Child Timeline. We don't really have enough evidence to prove which one it actually is, though.

But still, we are in a much better position than 48 hours ago, where we had no idea, not a clue of when it could take place. Remember when lots of people thought this was a SS prequel? Or when we theorized that BotW could be in New Hyrule instead of Hyrule?

Now, we actually have quite solid evidence for those two timelines. This makes things a lot better compared to how it was before.

:mastahsword: Member of the S.S. Spoiler. Free. Zelda, and proud of it! :mastahsword:

I also happen to own a currently very small blog. If you're so bored that you can afford the time to do so I guess you could check it out if you want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    https://playgamesthinkgames.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3aJqkWJUSZ_vdV1HUOWQfQ
  • Another clue, is one quote from TP .

GORON:
    That belonged to the tribe thatprotected the Hylian royal familylong ago.They worked in secret, so theylived in a lonely, forgotten place.But I heard that tribe dwindled inthe prolonged wars...

That quote is related to one quote from BoTW

OLD MAN:
    Long ago an advanced civilization know as the sheikah inahbited these lands, it was the power and wisdom of the sheikah that saved this land time and time againbut their civilization disappeared long ago...or so it said.

The conections of TP and BoTW are really strong, so its posibble for TP-BoTW in the timeline.

Display Spoiler

Few things satisfy like a puzzle solved!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Smallville Boy ().

• I have two theories, one based on what I noticed during the presentation, and another that is purely "this would be kind of neat" but I don't expect it.

#1 That the game takes in the decline/Hero of Time is defeated timeline, POST Adventure of Link. With how run down Hyrule looks, along with Link's look (although the art style is reminiscent of WW, Link himself looks to me like our original 1986-1987 Link).

Granted the story got a little screwy by the end of AoL (at the end of the game, there seems to be two Princess Zeldas running around) but I think we may actually be getting a true sequel to the original duology. Perhaps after the events of Aol Link had himself put into a deep sleep because he was afraid Ganon would eventually be resurrected and he was the only one who ever truly defeated him (in that timeline).

OR...

#2 (and again this is just wishful thinking) what if we have a ALBW/OOT situation where it is set near the end of the timeline and Link gains the ability to travel between the three timelines, because the reason Hyrule is wasting away is because of the timeline split created in Oot.

It would be in line with the fact that the game supposedly is 12 times bigger than TP, it would have to be if there are three, distinct, fully realized Hyrules in it. In this scenario a lot of the puzzle solving will be related to the huge topography differences because those three Hyrules would have to be vastly different, given the events that have transpired after the split. In this theory it would make the most sense for the sleeping link to be the Hero of Time, fixing his paradox.

Again I have nothing to base this theory on other than the fact that the massive size of the game makes it feasible. I can see multiple endings, and if you go straight to the final boss (as they're saying you can do) then you never learn of the three timelines. It would be nice for the three timelines to become in-game canon, with characters learning of it.
    My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
  • Canyarion wrote:

Swift Sail wrote:

Check this video out. youtube.com/watch?v=UZj8q9PqzzY

At the 9 minute mark there's a cutscene where the ladies voice is telling Link to "try to remember" and that he's been asleep for 100 years. It also shows Calamity Ganon in action. Later on, there's more of the Old Man who talks about Calamity Ganon and references the ladies voice. All very intriguing.
    That 'asleep for 100 years' really bothers me while I speculate about a timeline placement.
    Let's say they're being cheeky and this is in fact a Link that we already know. Which one could it be?
    • OoT? There's no way the Temple of Time could have broken down like that in just 100 years.

What if the ToT didn't break down by time? What if something destroyed it during those 100 years?
  • SPOILER WARNING: Story tid-bits from E3 footage are mentioned here as well as spoilers for previous games of course. (Probably only hardcore fans are reading this anyway)

My placement: Between OoT and ALttP (Hero defeated/Hyrule's decline time-line)

Reasons: (mixed with speculation and fun of course)

1. Link wakes up in a "Resurrection" chamber.
    Perhaps this place was built by the Sages and the Sheikah to seal and entomb the defeated Hero of Time at the end of OoT in order to regenerate and resurrect his body over the course of 100 years (Not much of a record there; I heard another fictional/mythological figure did it in just 3 days a while back. C'mon Link!). And now the Hero of Time has to restore the destroyed kingdom (somehow) that's been slowly reclaimed by the wild over the past century. Yes, I'm suggesting this is a direct sequel to OoT.

2. "Calamity Ganon" suddenly appeared, "destroying everything in its path, leaving countless innocents in its wake".
    (Watch and read:
    youtu.be/HGXg0KTgbY0?t=11m4s
    "Remember... Try to remember... You have been asleep for the past 100 years... yada yada yada" -Zelda (Goddess Hylia if Zelda is currently dead?)
    and
    youtu.be/HGXg0KTgbY0?t=12m36s)
    "It appeared suddenly... destroying everything in its path. Leaving countless innocents in its wake".

After Link was defeated by Ganon in OoT, Ganon claimed the full triforce and was sealed into the Sacred Realm by the Sages. Soon though, after growing in power for some time, Ganon broke free and proceeded to lay waste to the entire kingdom of Hyrule (Destroyed every town and killed almost all people)

( I believe this is why there's only ruins and signs of previous settlements on and off the E3 demo plateau area from the e3 footage we've seen. In one of the off-plateau videos Aonuma showed off, I spotted a flag pole near a ruin in the field where Link was battling a guardian on horse-back. Maybe this flag was erected by the few survivors (Some Sages and Sheikah) as a memorial to the town and the lives lost? I'm guessing the old man is a surviving sage or sheikah. Nintendo only said NPC's and towns weren't in the e3 demo, which doesn't implicitly mean they were removed from the build by developers since it's an ambiguous statement )

Ruined Lon Lon Ranch?^

Anyways, back to my fun little fan-fic: During and after Calamity Ganon destroyed Hyrule, the Sages fought him with their demi-god sage abilities and eventually were able to subdue his power and seal him into the sacred realm again. During the aftermath, the Sages and Shiekah saw how much was lost and how there was no hope for the future of the world, because there was no possibility for the "Spirit of the Hero" to appear again in time to oppose Ganon's inevitable return. The natural rise of the Hero through reincarnation would be impossible, since all civilization had been wiped out minus only a few Sages and Sheikah. So the survivors put a plan in motion and built the resurrection chamber, gathered Link's body, sealed him away, and waited... Oh but before they began their extended yoga session, they hid all his stuff and made new items and abilities for him to play with when he wakes up. ..Uhhh rather they hid his gear and created new technology and trials to help expedite the process of him growing in strength and virtue and reawakening as "The Hero of Time" capable of restoring the world. Then, knowing the seal on the sacred realm wouldn't last, they sealed off the entire Castle as another fail-safe to ensure Link could have as much time to resurrect as needed before "Calamity Ganon" would regain his power, break all bonds put in place, and consume the entire world... "And that's all I have to say about that"

TL;DR: So yeah, uh.. Downfall time-line cuz couple reasons.

Note: I don't consider things like the presence of Koroks, the Goddess Statue in the Temple of Time, the Temple of Time's location, or the Hyrule Royal Crest not having a Triforce in the middle to be very important for the following reasons: 1. The Hyrule Royal Crest and Goddess Crest represent two different things. 2. The Sages or Goddess Hylia could have moved the temple of time to a safer place (On a high plateau near the sleeping Hero of Time and Resurrection chamber sounds like a good spot!) 3. There could be multiple reasons why Kokiri change into Koroks, and 4. the Goddess Statue... well, um... well.. Well what the heck is Ganon doing here if this takes place before Ocarina of Time?)

The post was edited 5 times, last by Krunch ().

• Krunch wrote:

My placement: Between OoT and ALttP (Hero defeated/Hyrule's decline time-line)

Reasons: (mixed with speculation and fun of course)

1. Link wakes up in a "Resurrection" chamber.
    Perhaps this place was built by the Sages and the Sheikah to seal and entomb the defeated Hero of Time at the end of OoT in order to regenerate and resurrect his body over the course of 100 years (Not much of a record there; I heard another fictional/mythological figure did it in just 3 days a while back. C'mon Link!). And now the Hero of Time has to restore the destroyed kingdom (somehow) that's been slowly reclaimed by the wild over the past century. Yes, I'm suggesting this is a direct sequel to OoT.
    Your theory is as valid as anyone, however the reason I think it might be after Aol rather than between OoT and aLttP is because unless the time frame between those two games is way way way longer than it seems, then there doesn't seem to be enough time for the Hero of time to fail, Hyrule get majorly screwed up, the events of BotW occur, and then Hyrule return to the relative prosperity of aLttp. A continuing steady decline after Aol seems more likely to me, and that seems to rule out the hero of time because that has obviously been more than a few generations. IMO.
    My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
  • I'm pretty much sold on the fourth timeline stemming from Wind Waker's Link failure. I really didn't want another timeline split, but it makes so much sense. There is just so much hints pointing toward Wind Waker, even though a post-Spirit Tracks and pre-Wind Waker don't click without retconing something.

Plus, learning Hyrule is in this state because of an adventure you lived ten years ago didn't end up like it was supposed to do in your good ending got a lot of punch to it.

Also, it gives another dimension to this Link (who would be WW!Link) being lost in this totally foreign world, having grown up on little islands scattered across the ocean. A hundred years isn't that much to change the geography entirely, just look at ALTTP and ALBW, so if it was any other Link he'd have more memories of the place. We DON'T know if Link is actually familiar with the place or not, but it'd be more impressing if he was as lost as the player, discovering everything.

So yeah. Wind Waker!Link fails against Ganondorf (explaining Ganon's Form ?). Ganondorf gets the triforce. He asks for the unflooding of Hyrule. He now control Hyrule, but since he looked a bit more "mature" in Wind Waker it's not as bad as it was in, for example, A Link to the Past. Still, he has the triforce, hence the Ganondorf -> Ganon (same as the DT). The Master Sword, since you had it with you when you died, can be anywhere. Maybe Tetra took it and hid it.

Also the last fight took place surrounded by water flooding the room. WW!Link would have "died" or been left to die in the water. This Link wakes up in water. Magic water ? It was the one around Hyrule Castle, that protected it for centuries between OOT and WW. Why couldn't it protect living beings from decay, too ?

It explains the korogu, and even the fact they may be the same korogu (we don't know how long they live, but maybe centuries, why not ?)

Doesn't really explain the Sheikah, but at this point, nothing does, and we do need some mysteries/stuff to discover after all. We know it's after Ocarina of Time because of Ganondorf, and the temple of time, Though. And Wind Waker isn't that long after Ocarina. It'd be worst if it was as the end of any timeline.

And hey, maybe we'll help Rito and they'll grant you the ability to fly, and THAT'S the transportation system we'll get to go to the floating island ?

(Also we don't know if the wolf really is TP!Link, do we ? Could be just a random wolf that looks like him and has a chain because easter egg.)

Also, about style inconsistencies, ALBW!Link went from Classic to Cartoon with Triforce Heroes. Why can't they do the same with WW and BoTW ?

Also it means grandma and Aryll are long dead AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS INFORMATION. IMAGINE A SIDE QUEST ABOUT IT
  • Is that the theory where Ganondorf won in TWW and used the Triforce to drain the land again?

Then why do these inhabitants say that Ganon "appeared suddenly... destroying everything in its path. Leaving countless innocents in its wake"?
    If Hyrule would have been returned to the surface, the land wouldn't have been destroyed. Some people might actually have been glad about that.
    100% | Finished | Now playing:
    TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
  • There are inhabitants ? Isn't there just an old man in the demo ?

Maybe the unflooding needed some cataclysmic phenomenon, and it did destroy what land they had in Wind Waker (explaining why you don't see the old settlements, on the old islands). Also, a lot of people where pointing out in Wind Waker that it was too bad no one seemed aware Ganondorf was here. Explain the "he appeared suddenly".

Or, centuries passed, people kinda mixed up the unflooding-damage and the damage because of the flood (= stuff like the temple of time).