Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Mafia XXII: Tales of Mafia - Yggdrasil's dream (GAME OVER)
  • @Jaime Lannister I've never been part of a #voitingbloc before. I'm willing to entertain the idea because there is validity if two people can gain trust in each other within the context of some sort of alliance. And if we discuss the vote and reach a mutual decision as a bloc each day, that eliminates the diffusion of responsibility present if we simply take turns.

So yeah, I'll be a part of your world.

That said, I really have no strong reads. I mean if Emptystar wasn't a new player, he'd be the best lynch in my mind just because of the strong serial killer hint he dropped. But I'd feel better waiting til tomorrow to deal with hime. Where is your head at?
  • @Foo is getting things started and it seems as if his masturbating monkey is
    simply a way to keep people focused on something irrelevant.

Conversation helps with inconsistency. On the first day the mafia has not yet had a chance to speak to each other and haven't had the opportunity to come together to discuss codes, distancing themselves, causing conflicts, roleclaiming, etc. The way I see it the more discussion we have, the more the mafia members will be forced to stick to their day 1 convictions and try not to flip flop, else they appear scummy. Likewise, if they hardly contribute then they slip into the inactive category which automatically looks anti-town.

That being said, I really *am* trying to keep all my posts relevant :/
    ~~~
    Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
    ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens
  • The cipher thing was probably worth clarifying because I think many people had different ideas on how it worked, but for the most part rather than getting bogged down in previous-game related antics, we should keep the thread intelligible for the newbies, which I understand there are a lot of this time around.

I think the first or second game players this time are @Malon, @JP the Neurotic, @EmptyStar, @HeyBlinkin, @LuckyDan and @Demon Fox. Would be interested in hearing some early thoughts from all of them.
  • Really, Day 1 is a good day to kind of test the waters and see where people stand a little bit. At this point, no one has been lynched or killed and nothing really major has happened. At this point, there is no reason to suspect someone except for the things they say. But Day 1 can also be really boring and unproductive if there is no conversation going on.
    "Time passes, people move.... Like a rivers flow, it never ends... A childish mind will turn to noble ambition... Young love will become deep affection... The clear water's surface reflects growth..."

Saving a link here: Mafia XI: Ace Attorney -- Night Four: Serial Killers and Serial Gamblers.

"you came up with the idea, so youre the genius here"
    ~Malia

"F*** you, you ain't no Barnes. Yousa scrub, honey."
  • Ello peeps/

I got caught upon the thread but honestly, not really much to say. I'm still not very good at the games bear with me. :P

When it comes to day one, I don't take much stock in what people do until the hours come down and we all need to make a decision. As far as i know, its mostly just shenanigans right now. I mean, people randomly voting for someone doesn't mean much on day 1, right?
  • From @Malon bringing up the Random Voting Stage earlier I assume she's familiar with forum Mafia from elsewhere (ZD possibly, I played a game there so I know how their rules work). The main difference we have to forum mafia as played elsewhere is the strict 24 hour time limit. Unlike the regular forum mafia rules, ZU days don't end early when there's a majority vote (so no 'hammer') and they'll end no matter what after 24 hours.

We don't officially call the first day the Random Voting Stage but it's basically as good as one. People taking stabs in the dark at who else is acting suspicious without any real data. Things usually hit peak excitement at around Day 3 when a lot of real information starts to leak out.

Other than that most of our rules are standard. The main part is getting used to the personalities of the regular Mafia players so that you can figure out what they're up to.
  • It might not mean so much at the start of the day, when votes are kind of for fun, but serious votes, not matter who they are for should be looked at with scrutiny. Hiding behind the vote for a townie could be one or more mafia members. It's very easy for the mafia to keep bussing people if votes are not looked at closely.
    "Time passes, people move.... Like a rivers flow, it never ends... A childish mind will turn to noble ambition... Young love will become deep affection... The clear water's surface reflects growth..."

Saving a link here: Mafia XI: Ace Attorney -- Night Four: Serial Killers and Serial Gamblers.

"you came up with the idea, so youre the genius here"
    ~Malia

"F*** you, you ain't no Barnes. Yousa scrub, honey."
  • Sounds good Fluttershy. Today you'll place your vote with me and tomorrow I'll place my vote with you, barring any unforeseen circumstances that would make you want to break this.

@Sabbo perhaps you recall the game wherein I day killed your godfather and proceeded to have you lynched, killing two birds with one stone? Or (as Foo mentioned) the successful Paper Mafio game where I first used voting blocs.

I don't really care how others play mafia but I know for a fact I'm pretty damn good at trusting my instinct, whether it be in Civ mafia where I was able to pinpoint who held power roles with relative ease, or my record of day killing two godfathers as a townie. Part of this comes from being able to read literally everything about a player - who they interact with, who they don't interact with, words or phrases they use, their tone, just about anything can be, in my eyes, considered a slip up that makes me scrutinize a player more. This includes how people might react to me saying "Hey X, why don't you share your vote with Y for today?" How do they choose to respond, how do they word it etc.

For now I don't have anywhere in particular that I'm feeling and so I'm not gonna bother with unvoting. Might come back in a few hours and place a vote on where my gut leans.
  • Cody wrote:

From @Malon bringing up the Random Voting Stage earlier I assume she's familiar with forum Mafia from elsewhere (ZD possibly, I played a game there so I know how their rules work). The main difference we have to forum mafia as played elsewhere is the strict 24 hour time limit. Unlike the regular forum mafia rules, ZU days don't end early when there's a majority vote (so no 'hammer') and they'll end no matter what after 24 hours.

We don't officially call the first day the Random Voting Stage but it's basically as good as one. People taking stabs in the dark at who else is acting suspicious without any real data. Things usually hit peak excitement at around Day 3 when a lot of real information starts to leak out.

Other than that most of our rules are standard. The main part is getting used to the personalities of the regular Mafia players so that you can figure out what they're up to.
    Yeah, I've played Mafia on several forums. Including ZD. By 24-hour time limit, do you mean the days are actual days?
    basically a literal version of IHE at this point™
  • I'm awake (and not just sleeping in front of the fire while sleepily pursuing the thread) and I guess in regards to voting blocks, I still don't fully understand how they are beneficial to the town?

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
    Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
  • Jaime Lannister wrote:

On to business then. Ordinarily we'd not have much to go on during the first day, and for that I usually do something like proposing voting blocs between random players (people seem sick of em though :P ) so I'll refrain from that.

And then not two seconds later did you propose voting blocs, and joined one yourself. Just for my own notes:
    • Jaime Lannister + Fluttershy sitting in a tree, v-o-t-...t...-i-n-g
    • English + Sam Normal sitting in a bush, b-e-r-n-i-e-sanders
    Nothing much to go off of here, just noting you had to satisfy that monkey on your back, he wanted a bloc, and you couldn't resist. Just hope he wasn't masturbating.

I for one am anti-blocs, it's an informal double voter opportunity if a scum gets lumped together with a townie. But since I can't stop the inevitable, I'll just sit back and watch.

Ty. wrote:

Ill catch up with all this tomorrow morning. Long day, have lots of other forum stuff I need to catch up on first, and I'm crazy tired, But I'll be checking in early tomorrow when I wake up!

Ty, you don't sleep, don't pretend like you catch "Z"s on the regular. You're a robot, and this comes off as scummy.

Fluttershy wrote:

"@JL" I've never been part of a #voitingbloc before.

Hmmm...if I'm reading into this correctly, you are leaving a bread crumb trail for the mafia. Obviously Tales must be a WW2 influenced game, and therefore the town represent the British, while the scum are tied to the German. You are signaling to your brothers and sisters, and for that:

[vote] Fluttershy [/vote]

The post was edited 2 times, last by Kae ().

• ^ A voting bloc is when two or more people agree to vote together, supposedly without any knowledge of each other's alignment. The bloc works where one person/side votes for a suggest person by the other side, and the next day the favor is returned (visa versa).

I beleive the intended purpose is to add more weight to your day votes, and to identify patterns in who the proposed bloc will vote for.
  • Except that you cannot and should not vote me.

interestingdrug wrote:

I will fill my vote brackets with the name of anyone who pushes the i am town/i am not town spree.

Ty. wrote:

I don't really know who to vote for at this point. Like as far as I can tell nobody seems overly scummy. But I think a no vote is kinda dumb because it gives mafia first move. First round is always so hard.

Anyway someone who isn't producing as much content does not mean he/she is a Mafia, it could also be that they're busy with commitments irl and when they come back, they got late in providing any contribution to the discussion and votes.

Fluttershy wrote:

@Jaime Lannister So do you expect me to vote for you then? Because I don't feel good about that. I'd rather randomly lynch someone who isn't producing as much content.

On another note, JP the Neurotic's post reads a bit Mafia-like as it looks like he's averting players in wanting to vote and also slightly indicated he knew something by him saying: I don't make much stock in what people do until the hours come down

So [vote]JP the Neurotic[/vote].
  • Kae wrote:

Jaime Lannister wrote:

On to business then. Ordinarily we'd not have much to go on during the first day, and for that I usually do something like proposing voting blocs between random players (people seem sick of em though :P ) so I'll refrain from that.

And then not two seconds later did you propose voting blocs, and joined one yourself. Just for my own notes:
    • Jaime Lannister + Fluttershy sitting in a tree, v-o-t-...t...-i-n-g
    • English + Sam Normal sitting in a bush, b-e-r-n-i-e-sanders
    Nothing much to go off of here, just noting you had to satisfy that monkey on your back, he wanted a bloc, and you couldn't resist. Just hope he wasn't masturbating.

I for one am anti-blocs, it's an informal double voter opportunity if a scum gets lumped together with a townie. But since I can't stop the inevitable, I'll just sit back and watch.

Ty. wrote:

Ill catch up with all this tomorrow morning. Long day, have lots of other forum stuff I need to catch up on first, and I'm crazy tired, But I'll be checking in early tomorrow when I wake up!

Ty, you don't sleep, don't pretend like you catch "Z"s on the regular. You're a robot, and this comes off as scummy.

Fluttershy wrote:

"@JL" I've never been part of a #voitingbloc before.

Hmmm...if I'm reading into this correctly, you are leaving a bread crumb trail for the mafia. Obviously Tales must be a WW2 influenced game, and therefore the town represent the British, while the scum are tied to the German. You are signaling to your brothers and sisters, and for that:

[vote] Fluttershy [/vote]

Nope, the tales series has nothing too do with World war II. It was just a typo

JP the Neurotic wrote:

But couldn't that backfire easily? What if the voting bloc was done by mafia. or did i miss something there?
    NopE. That wass the exatc reosaon that everyone is against the voting blok
    basically a literal version of IHE at this point™
  • I'm not telling anyone to do anything. I jsut know that with the two mafia games I've played things changed drastically by the end because there's little to go on.

I don't know anything. I've seen people make joke/funny posts often when the day starts which is why I said I don't take much stock what happens until the day comes to a close. By then, people act serious and maybe you can see a potential bandwagon by mafia.