Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Toronto/Ontario Meetup May 2016
    • So for Sunday I'm only going to be able to meet up starting around 3pm. That might end up working out well if it ends up being a split con/city day or if folks want to do more of the tourist-y stuff in the morning, but it can get sorted with more specificity closer to the actual date.

As the official local or whatever I'll give commentary on the stuff Mike provided if that helps narrow things down. If people want to some of those things in the morning and then more of a "walking tour" kind of thing in the afternoon, that's easy. If downtown/union is going to be the general area of meeting that leaves a lot of possibilities so long as folks are wearing their walking shoes. Pretty much anywhere we go could be a combo of shopping/sightseeing/eating/historic buildings+areas/gawking at hipsters.

Avalanchemike wrote:

COOL THINGS IN TORONTO:[/b]
      CN Tower [10pm close] - I would recommend only doing this if it's a clear day. If it's cloudy or smoggy or whatever it's not really worth the price of admission. But on a clear day the view is pretty impressive.
      Royal Ontario Museum [530pm close] - Decent museum, if you're into it. Not the most impressive and the last time I went some of the exhibits were really showing their age, but that was quite a long time ago.
      Art Gallery of Ontario [530pm close] - I can't say for sure because I'm not an art gallery person, but yeah this is pretty good if you're into art probably.
      Casa Loma (a castle!) [5pm close] - This is around the corner from where I grew up. It's a castle that was built in the early 1900s because a guy with more money than sense super duper loved his wife but then she died and then he died and it's a whole thing. They do the 'room escape' things here now which are fun, but it probably gets booked up pretty quick. I haven't been in the past decade so I don't know how fun or cool it is these days.
      Ripley's Aquarium [11pm close!]
      Ontario Science Centre [5pm close] - Don't go to this. It's horrendously dated and borderline dilapidated.
      Wonderland (really big amusement park! we'd probably want to make a day of this if we decided on this) (this might also change meetup plans) [Open 10am to 10pm] - Yeah this is a day trip - nowhere near the city proper.
      Toronto Zoo (again, something we'd probably want to make a day of) [6pm close] - Same as Wonderland. Takes a long time to get to on public transportation.
    • I'm definitely still in.

As for meetup times, I'm currently assuming a gathering at (or at least close to) when the con opens Saturday, and I'm free to meet up any time Sunday, since I'll be overnighting at a hotel.

As for what to do, I've been to everything on that list save the CN Tower, and they're all pretty good. I just went to Casa Loma last year, so it's not hugely high on my personal list, but other than that, I'm game.

I recall the acquarium being a bit expensive to get into, but having a lot of really cool displays, including stuff like a tank where you can pet horseshoe crabs and the like.

The zoo is just awesome, but is definitely a whole-day thing.

The ROM is pretty good, too. A museum with a really broad range of stuff, and usually pretty good exhibits. Tends to have ludicrously long lines, though.

I haven't been to the science centre in over a decade, so I don't remember any part of it, really.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• Avalanchemike wrote:

BIG THING WE HAVE TO DO:

Everyone who is going to meetup should at the very least exchange numbers with me. It will be critical for keeping up with one another, particularly if we split for whatever reason. If you could fire off a PM to me with that it would be great. There are a number of Americans in the party who will likely not want to use their phones through most of this lol. We still may want to in case of emergencies.

Not trying to be an asshole, but I don't actually have a cellphone. Don't believe in them.

Avalanchemike wrote:

COOL THINGS IN TORONTO:
      CN Tower [10pm close]
      Royal Ontario Museum [530pm close]
      Art Gallery of Ontario [530pm close]
      Casa Loma (a castle!) [5pm close]
      Ripley's Aquarium [11pm close!]
      Ontario Science Centre [5pm close]
      Wonderland (really big amusement park! we'd probably want to make a day of this if we decided on this) (this might also change meetup plans) [Open 10am to 10pm]
      Toronto Zoo (again, something we'd probably want to make a day of) [6pm close]

As for this list Royal Ontario Museum and Art Gallery of Ontario seem cool.

I'm going compile a list of some restaurants and shops tomorrow.
    • OK I got the travel plan for my phone. I need to double check I can use my EZ Pass on the bridge and can use my debit or credit card in Canada.

Mike is there anything else you can think of that Americans - especially ones driving over - need to take into consideration?

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • You're gonna have a whole lot of extra money if you exchange money before getting here because of the exchange rate lol. 78 cents American is a dollar Canadian. Something costing 5 dollars here effectively costs you 4. I'd recommend getting Canadian cash to spend here to save on fees you might have for exchanging it closer to the border or when using your debit/credit cards here. I would def consult you bank regarding any fees there might be with that. Your cards will almost definitely work, particularly if you bank with a Canadian bank already like TD.

You'll be able to use EZ pass at the border no prob.

Other than that you might want to consider health insurance? It's incredibly unlikely that anything will happen in the period of a day, it's something to keep in mind. If I took a day trip to the US and looked into travel insurance for that day, it's only like 25 bucks. It's something you may want to consider. I don't know what your coverage situation is at home, whether you're covered by your parents or by your job or whatever, but you may want to speak to your provider to find out the cost of it for a day. I don't go to the States without it lol.

Uh, be sure your passport is in good condition lol?

When crossing the border, be honest about your intentions. The guards will likely ask you why you're coming over. Just say you're meeting up with some friends, feel free to give them my name and address lol, and that you're spending the day at a convention in Toronto. When I cross, I always make sure to know the city I'm going to, the exact name of the person I'm meeting, a general idea of what we're going to do. They'll likely wave you through. Don't try to be clever with them? lol.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Do they allow chicken wing soup across the border? I really want to bring some for you guys to try/have. Same with Loganberry. (A soft drink.) I might need to check beforehand though for that by calling maybe border control? I know there are some foods which can't go over the border like kinder eggs.

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
      Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
      Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews
    • At least you all can meet up. I don't think we have any one in Arizona here to have a ZU Meet-up.
      ~The Great Sage, ZeldaGuardian~
      Leader and Founder of The Seven Sages
      Webmaster and Creator of Guardian Sages

"Don't let my past mistakes... Effect your future judgement of me..." ~ZeldaGuardian
      "Time is Fate's true love. One cannot exist without the other. If it is Fate, then Time will tell when it's ready." ~ZeldaGuardian
      "This is where it all begins... In the Temple of Sages..." ~ZeldaGuardian

• Ruki wrote:

Do they allow chicken wing soup across the border? I really want to bring some for you guys to try/have. Same with Loganberry. (A soft drink.) I might need to check beforehand though for that by calling maybe border control? I know there are some foods which can't go over the border like kinder eggs.

I'm pretty sure it's the Yanks which care more for that stuff than we do. They *will* ask if you've got any food in the vehicle, just say you've got your lunch (because this is effectively what it is) and state what it is. You *can* call or email ahead of time. You'll be wanting to speak to Canadian services, not the American ones. Looking over the government website, you'd be fine though.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
      ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• I'll be around Thursday/Friday through Monday - I won't be able to go to Anime North on Saturday since it's sold out, but if anyone who's not going to AN wants to meetup that day then I'm game. I'll do AN on Sunday if everyone else is doing that in the morning (I assume it'll be morning since most of the attractions close at 5pm), and then I'll be around for the rest of the day to see attractions that others have mentioned.

Looking at google maps, I'll be about 9 km (east) from the convention center, so if there's anyone who is driving in that can offer a ride on Sunday I'd be willing to pitch in gas money as it'd cut travel time down to like 15 minutes.
    • Scratch that, my Sunday should be free! My managers are very indecisive.

I just need to know what time the general city stuff is going on and plan my train ride from there. At latest, I guess I can be messaged the day before, but sooner is better.

Edit: There's no trains on Sunday. Huhhh. I'll figure this out.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Typhoon Sam ().