Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Link's Awakening Remake
    • (Warning: This one is a bit long. :ghirahim: )

I’ve been thinking about a game that doesn’t usually get a lot of love, though I think it is probably the game that most deserves a remake. I’m referring to, of course, Link’s Awakening, which is arguably the best handheld Zelda game. The story, symbolism, and gameplay are all fantastic, so with minor adjustments to make it fit modern standards, I think a well-polished remake would be a supremely worthy addition to Nintendo’s lineup of 3DS titles. (Or, more likely, to the lineup of games for the 3DS’s successor: I’d guess that this game would probably take a couple years to develop, and the 3DS will probably be nearing the end of it’s life by then. In addition, they could then reuse this game’s engine and spend a year or two to remake the Oracle series [which would be vastly improved, if only by bugfixes small tweaks and a graphical update])

To that end, I’ve put together a few pages of things I would want changed in a remake for the 3DS. It’s divided into two sections: Gamewide Changes, which affect the whole game, and Point Changes, which only affect a specific part. Each one has the following subcategories:

Gamewide Changes:
      1. Controls
      2. Graphics
      3. Music
      4. Gameplay
      5. Difficulty

Point Changes:
      1. Story
      2. Items
      3. Map
      4. Additional Content

Gamewide Changes

1. Controls:
      • Use the weird flat joystick thing circle pad for movement and items (d-pad works too, but I think we deserve more than just cardinal and ordinal directions for this one, unlike A Link Between Worlds)
      • A = actions (like in Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker)
      • B = Sword (permanently mapped—you always need your sword :mastahsword: )
      • X = Item 1
      • Y = Item 2
      • L = Pegasus Boots once you get them
      • R = Roc’s Cape/Feather once you get it
      • Top screen shows gameplay
      • Bottom (touch) screen has two tabs, one for items (which can be switched in real time, as in Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess HD) and one for the map (and maybe you can set beacons of some sort?). I threw together a mockup of how I think the bottom screen should work in the Items section, way down below.
      • Pressing start brings up the quest status screen, which shows how many instruments, quest items, secret seashells, etc. you have. It pauses the game. You can still access your items and maps on the bottom screen just as before, though the game remains paused.
      • Pressing select brings up the save menu: save and continue, save and quit, quit without saving, cancel.

2. Graphics:
      I want more realistic and mature (but still cel-shaded) graphics. I’d like something made in a similar style to The Wind Waker, but Link is much older in this game (he’s about 9-12 years old in The Wind Waker, while he is about 16-18 in Link’s Awakening [The Big Theory Q&A]), so I'd want something just a touch less cartoony. For an example, I'd like to see something like this, though from a slightly more top-down perspective:

Video:

To me, the main visual motif should be some variation on the magical, mystical, dreamlike atmosphere of Koholint. To that end, a slightly less saturated WW look—with nice particle effects and realistically proportioned people, enemies, and environments—would do the job beautifully. That way, the graphics would be sober enough for people to take the story and dungeons seriously, but lighthearted enough for the humor to come through. (Side note: I love the little jokes and gags in this game; I think they keep it all balanced from being too doom-and-gloom. Who doesn’t laugh at the picture of Marin falling on top of Link in the well, or at the quadruplets as they always break the fourth wall?)

3. Music:
      You couldn't release a game today with an early 90s chiptune track for the music! It would ruin the immersion. As such, I'd like an orchestrated version of the original soundtrack. Wait… hey look, someone did Nintendo’s work for them already!

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Orchestral Arrangement
      (Thanks, Jeremiah Sun! You’ve done a musical service to us all :P )

Here’s the plan: take that orchestration, make whatever few tweaks are needed in order to fit any changes in the atmosphere, and you have 95% of the work already done. It saves time and money, and it ensure that Ninty doesn’t screw anything up too badly :) . And, if the hardware can handle prerecorded music, recordings of a real orchestra would be icing on the cake. (Though I’m not sure if the 3DS is powerful enough to do this, or if there is enough data space on a cartridge to store the necessary 3+ hours of music, it would be nice :) )

4. Gameplay:
      • Certain enemies are too easy, certain enemies are too hard. Tweaking health and damage would do the trick, and if initial adjustments don’t work then DLC is an easy way to patch it. Don’t worry, I won’t get into an exhaustive list here ;) That’s a topic for a thread of its own.
      • Consider replacing the enemies copied borrowed from other franchises (Mario and Kirby, primarily) with uniquely Zelda enemies. (Ex: sea urchin [= Kirby's "Gordo"], goomba [ = Mario's "Goomba"], anti-kirby, et al.)
      • Dungeons should be remade from scratch, but keep their main mechanic (i.e: smashing the pillars in Eagle’s Tower, etc.)
      • Bosses should be (slightly) easier to hit, but have higher health. In playing Link’s Awakening DX, I found that most bosses were too easy... if you could consistently hit them. Several require pixel-perfect timing in order to do so.
      • Bosses should be redesigned. For the ones that talk, their lines usually seem repetitive and just a bit too silly for what I’m getting at. No need to replace them entirely, just rewrite the dialog (and have them only say it once) and make sure to give them an appearance that’s a little more sinister/scary/creepy. After all, they are nightmares.
      • HERO MODE/SECOND QUEST!! It is a definite requirement to include additional playthrough(s) that give enemies higher health/damage and/or reduce your attack power. This game is not particularly long, so adding 1-3 full games of replay value would require very little effort to develop and substantially improve the longevity of the game. (Of course, completing the second/third/etc. quest would bring some easter eggs to the game and credits ;) )

5. Difficulty:
      It seems to me that the difficulty ramp is very uneven: there are parts that are very easy, then there is a sudden jump in difficulty, then it is easy for a while, etc. To fix this, remaking the dungeons from scratch (this time, no need to make the floorplan resemble their titular object) and tweaking the health and damage of enemies should do the trick. There are also a few instances of false difficulty and/or wastes of time that should be rewritten to require skill or puzzle-solving (or skipped entirely!) instead, like the signpost maze, golden leaves, et al.

However, difficulty plateaus are fully acceptable: at certain points, the order in which you can finish the dungeons should be very easy to sequence-break if you so desire (see the Story section below; though the “intended” order should be very clear) so there should be some sections where the difficulty stays the same. That way, even if you do things “out of order”, the difficulty still ramps appropriately.

Point Changes

1. Story:
      • I like being able to get right to adventuring, so the first thing to do is cut down on the amount of chat required when first starting. Start out with your shield (or have Marin give it to you) so you don't have to talk to Tarin, and make Marin’s little opening speech nice and concise. If the player needs hints on what to do or where to find their sword, they will choose to talk to some NPCs. No need for handholding.
      • Remove the owl’s dialog after you find the Tail Key in the Mysterious Forest. (Actually, just cut down his dialog in general, and make it skippable. Put a record of the things he’s said in a book in the Library, in case a player accidentally skips it or wants to reference it later.)
      • The first three dungeons can be completed in any order (after obtaining the sword, of course). (Dungeon Items: Roc’s Feather, Power Bracelet, Pegasus Boots, respectively)
      • Angler’s Tunnel must be completed fourth. (Dungeon Item: swimming flippers)
      • Catfish’s Maw must be completed fifth. (Dungeon Item: Hookshot)
      • The trading sequence is not required, and neither is obtaining the rooster. You should only need up to the hookshot to make your way anywhere in the world.
      • The last three dungeons can be completed in any order. (Dungeon Items: Power Gauntlets, Mirror Shield, Fire Arrows, respectively)

2. Items:
      • Sword: Permanently mapped to B once you acquire it, as noted in Controls section.
      • Mirror Shield: Either get rid of it or make it useful more than one time in the game. Perhaps make it a reward from, or a requirement for, an optional dungeon?
      • Roc’s Feather: Permanently mapped to R, as noted in Controls section. Also, I happen to think the Roc’s Cape is cooler than the Feather; perhaps it can be obtained as an upgrade to the Feather at some point—maybe from an optional dungeon? If Link gets a cape, though, it better change his player model so it shows him wearing it all the time :)
      • Power Bracelet: Instead of making this an item, make it a passive upgrade, like the Goron’s Bracelet and Silver Gauntlets in Ocarina of Time. Therefore, you just use A to pick things up whenever you approach something liftable. Also, change the level 2 bracelet to gauntlets, because they’d probably look cooler :cool: (Side note: for the love of god, do not display the “This looks pretty heavy! You won’t be able to lift it with just your bare hands!” text ever again.)
      • Pegasus Boots: Permanently mapped to L, as noted in the Controls section. (Side note: for the love of god, do not display the “Oh? What a weird object! There must be some way to tackle this obstacle!” text ever again.)
      • Bombs: For the love of god, do not display the “This rock has many cracks! There must be some way to shatter it!” text ever again, either. Let the players figure out a way to remove the strange-looking wall/block/rock; we aren’t stupid.
      • Magic Rod: I’d say we replace this with fire arrows, since it seems that “magic wands” have fallen out of vogue. This would make the bow required, but I’m OK with that—put it in a dungeon somewhere, or something like that. Also, since there is no magic meter in this game, these would need to have a slower rate of fire in order to maintain game balance.
      • Bow: Get it from somewhere other than the store—it’s annoying to have to buy the shovel before you can steal the bow. Also, spice this one up a little. It’s useful, but boring: perhaps an upgraded version can be obtained from an optional dungeon / sidequest, and/or there are ice/light/silver arrows to be found somewhere?
      • Boomerang: Outside of making quick work of the final boss, this is basically useless throughout the game. Make it useful more than a few times or get rid of it entirely. Also, make it so that you don’t have to get trade out an item in order to get this; give a slot of its own on the item selection screen.
      • Ocarina: It’s a pain to select the song every time you equip this item. Rather than bringing up a menu each time, it should have a different equip button for each song.
      • Instruments of the Sirens: When these are retextured, ditch the rainbow fade. It looked cool on the Game Boy Color, but will definitely look tacky in 3D.
      • Here’s a very rough mockup of the touchscreen when selecting items. I just upscaled the sprites from the original game, obviously a real remake would have new icons. This player has the shield and bow equipped, the item at the top right is a fire arrow sprite I quickly threw together, and there is one slot left open at the bottom left for any extra items that could be added. Of course, if they decided to add several more items, they could add another row, or condense the ocarina back into one slot.

3. Map:
      • Seamless loading: It would really aid the immersion to make the overworld load seamlessly. Of course, a loading screen of some sort is entirely acceptable when going through doors, falling through floors, etc.
      • Kanalet Castle: I hate this place. Getting the Golden Leaves is annoying and distracts from the overall story. Make it a sidequest, or at least optional. Then, perhaps the inside of the castle could be expanded to make it into a proper dungeon or something.
      • Rapids Ride: This is a fun little minigame, but pretty repetitive and entirely unnecessary. The only important things in this area are two chests containing a few rupees, and a very vague Owl Statue. It very much needs to be revamped. Perhaps the minigame could be changed to offer better (or more/varied) rewards, or the raft could be obtained as an item? If you can get your own raft, then you could use it to visit newly-added areas off the coast, as I will suggest in the next section :)
      • More towns: The island is rather large, but relatively unpopulated, so I’d like to see another 1-3 villages added to the island. These could be used to add some sidequests, or offer stores so that you don’t have to travel all the way back to Mabe Village if you want to buy something.
      • Added areas: I have some suggestions in the next section, but I would like to note that the southern and western edges of the map have rather abrupt transitions to coastline (as does the border of the Yarna Desert). A more gentle gradient would make it seem a bit more realistic, and the extra area could be used to add additional content, which brings us to...

4. Additional Content:
      • Optional dungeons: Maybe you have to do one in order to get a heart container, or as part of a sidequest! The closest we get to optional dungeons in the original game (excluding the Color Dungeon in the DX version) is a few grottoes, all of which were pretty weak, IMO.
      • More secrets: We need to have more secret caves, grottoes, holes, and bonus areas! I’d love to see extra areas in the Mysterious Forest that aren’t ever required, an island just off the shore that you can visit (perhaps with an optional dungeon or two on it), and an optional cave system in the Tal Tal Mountains. Be creative, Nintendo! Make it fun to explore! On this note, expanding maximum health to the now-standard 20 hearts would be a good way to add more heart pieces for finding (there is a maximum of 14 in the original, and only 3 from heart pieces).
      • More NPCs: There are pitifully few NPCs on Koholint Island. Actually, there are so few, I can number them: 43. If two more towns are added (there are only 2 in the original), then it wouldn’t be hard to approximately double the population of the island. These extra towns could be used to spread out some of the content, so you don’t have to keep going back to Mabe Village when looking for any NPC, add some extra detail that makes the place seem a little more realistic, and they would be used to add more sidequests, which brings us to...
      • Sidequests: There are no true sidequests in the original: heart pieces are all one-off occurrences, the trading sequence is mostly required, secret seashells are more of a collectible than a sidequest, and photographs are just for fun. Add some sidequests like the ones in Majora’s Mask, Skyward Sword, and The Wind Waker in order to add some playtime, as the game is relatively short to begin with. As rewards, they could give you heart pieces, new items, or upgrades.
      • Minigames: There are two minigames in the original. Since we’re adding more towns and NPCs, why don’t we add more minigames? A few more, sprinkled around the island, would make it fun to explore and try new things.

What do you think? Are there any changes you want that I didn’t mention? Or did I suggest changes that you wouldn’t want? Respond in a reply to this thread!

I'm just looking for input here
      :artist:

Extra Resources:
      Display Spoiler

Here are a few links and images that might help you remember things about the original. It’s been a while since I last played it, so I had to look some things up, too!

Overworld Map:

Speedrun Video
      (In case you want a very basic and quick overview of the story/dungeons. Play it at 1.5x speed and you can finish it in about an hour!):
      (Note that he uses some glitches to skip certain parts, so you don’t see the entirety of the game. However, there are plenty of videos of this game on youtube, so I'm sure you can search for any specific part you want to see.)

Chuggaaconroy’s Let’s Play videos (Sponsored by ZU!):

TheSecondNarrator's Playthrough (with Orchestral score!):
      (They took actual gameplay and edited it to play the orchestral music mentioned in the main part of the post.)

Wiki page for the game:
      The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Zelda Wiki

Nelsyv wrote:

I saw that the trailer they released at the end of the Switch event stream looked like it would be a story trailer, so I immediately turned it off. I'm going dark until I've beaten BotW, I don't want any spoilers whatsoever. Wish me strength to resist the temptations.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Nelsyv: Cleaned up the bbcode, it was atrocious, and was causing lots of problems for display ().

• I'll have to read your whole post later, because I'm in a bit of a hurry. :)

But these last few years I've wanted a 'requel' of LA, in the engine of Zelda UX.
      It could be a new Link, but a similar dream. Same island, mostly the same characters, but enough possibilities for plot twists.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • I think a large obstacle would involve Nintendo resisting the urge to pull an ALBW with this particular remake idea. As we all know, ALBW originally started as a 3D remake of ALttP before they felt they changed so much that it might as well be an original game that happened to be a direct sequel that took place in a nearly identical Hyrule.
    • Canyarion wrote:

But these last few years I've wanted a 'requel' of LA, in the engine of Zelda UX.
      It could be a new Link, but a similar dream. Same island, mostly the same characters, but enough possibilities for plot twists.

I don't think that is canonically very likely. Would it really make sense for the Nightmares to somehow be revived/reborn and infect the Windfish again? Even if they were, which Link would have to go on this dream journey of enlightenment? I severely doubt that Nintendo would put the HoT in something that isn't a completely new and very epic HD title; the SS, MC, 4S, TP, and 4SA Links don't have any reason to be on a boat; WW/PH Link already had a dream adventure; ST Link has a train (so he doesn't need a boat)... I guess they could use LoZ/AoL link, but I find that unlikely since Nintendo has shown very little interest in touching those games in remakes. Since the whole premise is that Link is on a secondary journey, one about enlightenment or growing up or something to that effect (in order to come to terms with his previous experiences), I don't think it would make much sense to make this a first adventure for a new Link.

Topaz Mutiny wrote:

I think a large obstacle would involve Nintendo resisting the urge to pull an ALBW with this particular remake idea. As we all know, ALBW originally started as a 3D remake of ALttP before they felt they changed so much that it might as well be an original game that happened to be a direct sequel that took place in a nearly identical Hyrule.

Actually, I didn't know that ALBW started out as an ALttP remake, haha. I was wondering why they hadn't copied the engine from ALBW and pushed out ALttP3D.

As I outlined above, I don't think it would make sense to recreate the world for a new game, from an in-universe perspective. In the real world, though, retconning is usually not frowned upon for a game which had very few specific details to begin with (mostly as a result of the limited power of the original GameBoy), so if they remake it and have but a few relatively major changes, they can just say that the 3D version is the canonical revision.

Nelsyv wrote:

I saw that the trailer they released at the end of the Switch event stream looked like it would be a story trailer, so I immediately turned it off. I'm going dark until I've beaten BotW, I don't want any spoilers whatsoever. Wish me strength to resist the temptations.

• I think if any story is suited to get a 'requel', it's that of LA.

Dreams tend to come back, especially nightmares. And dreams are usually triggered by real-life experiences.
      So if you want to think about the story: perhaps a new Link travels the ocean and comes close to the Wind Fish. This triggers a second nightmare, very similar to the last.

Still, I don't expect Nintendo to care too much about the story.
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

I think it'd work really well with the ALBW engine, but I think transitioning any 2D Zelda game to 3D just wouldn't work without radically changing the way the world worked or how the dungeons work.

How so? The original map already has some mechanics of raised ledges and such, I can't imagine that changing from the faux-3D of the Gameboy to actual 3D would require "radical" changes.

I don't see any need to add a lot of raised/lowered areas in order to show off the 3D-ness, since they already have ALBW to do that. Perhaps a few tweaks, here and there, to solidify the experience and either open or close off areas, as necessary, but for the most part, many islands are relatively flat to begin with, so they shouldn't need to make any major changes to Koholint just to make it 3D.

Besides, if they really want to show off the 3D powers of the 3DS, they should use it in the dungeons. Those need a major overhaul anyways: the 2D block-pushing, map-in-the-shape-of-the-theme would need to go just to make it 3D, and requiring certain previous dungeons' items also needs to go (in order to make it just a bit more open-world; see OP), so completely remaking them from scratch gives them free license to make it as 3D as they'd like.

Nelsyv wrote:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nelsyv ().

• (semi-shameless bump)

Much of the previous discussion was based on the story changes (and lack thereof), would anyone like to comment on other aspects of my proposition? Do my thoughts on graphical style make sense, or would you envision it another way? Do you dislike the changes I'd make to the item system?

I'm just trying to foster some discussion here, peer-review is the fire through which the best ideas are forged :)
      (And I put a lot of work into this thread so I don't want it to die so soon lol)

Nelsyv wrote:

• Well, your music of choice is definitely amazing. I've been subscribed to The Second Narrator for a while now and he's just getting better. Did you hear his latest and did you watch the clip? Awesome stuff.

I think it all sounds nice, but the reason this thread died off so fast might be that none of this will ever happen...
    • I also think if you were going to make all these changes, then honestly, how can this not be a LA-inspired version of ALBW? They're literally no longer the same games with all these changes, particularly if you're changing the story around, and since the story is really so bland anyway, why not spice it up to the nth degree? And go nuts with it, too, add at least 2 unique items we've never seen in any Zelda game before, even if they're just different versions of previously seen items that have new functions. Don't make it feel like we're just playing the exact same game with an HD/3D update. ALBW really wasn't different enough, IMO, so you'd have to really go all-out to make it feel like Link's Reawakening (tentative remake title, what do you think?) is enough of its own game not to make people simply get nostalgic for LA and just play that instead. Personally I played ALBW for about half a day, got bored because it was so similar to ALttP and returned it. I don't want this kind of game to feel that way. I think you're onto something, for sure, but I'm not seeing the words 'roto-rooter' when that really would need to apply here. Make Koholint twice as big if it'll help, so you can keep some of the same geography but simply expand on it so it's not overly familiar. Let Link attempt to swim away from the island only to fail to get far, and maybe meet some Zora out on the edge of the island before the tide or other storms keeps him from escaping. Either expand the central land mass or leave that as is and just make all the new areas accessible by swimming away from the shore and on close but still separated islands surrounding the normal Koholint landmass. We also need a new name for Koholint.
    • Bomb Arrow wrote:

I also think if you were going to make all these changes, then honestly, how can this not be a LA-inspired version of ALBW? They're literally no longer the same games with all these changes, particularly if you're changing the story around,

Please Understand wrote:

If they are going to remake it to that extent, they should just make a new game based on it instead, similar to ALBW, or even better depart from it completely and only keep the core principles that made LA great.

"All these changes"?
      While I suggested several changes, none are significant deviations from the original. I basically posted how I think they should update the controls, graphics, music, etc. to fit a new platform. The only major changes I suggested they make to the story were to make the trading sequence optional (as the flying rooster serves relatively little figurative purpose, IMO) and to make the dungeons a bit more accessible.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

since the story is really so bland anyway

[citation needed]

In my opinion, Link's Awakening has one of the best stories of any Legend of Zelda game, though it is limited from reaching its full potential due to the technical limitations of the platform.

Bomb Arrow wrote:

Don't make it feel like we're just playing the exact same game with an HD/3D update.

Actually, that's almost exactly what I'm going for here. Link's Awakening is one of the best handheld titles ever released, but it's tragically underrated because so few people have been exposed to it. It's a fantastic game, so an update to modern standards (graphics, music, ease-of-use controls) would be more than enough to carry sales to profit-making numbers.

Nelsyv wrote:

• Nelsyv wrote:

"All these changes"?
      While I suggested several changes, none are significant deviations from the original. I basically posted how I think they should update the controls, graphics, music, etc. to fit a new platform. The only major changes I suggested they make to the story were to make the trading sequence optional (as the flying rooster serves relatively little figurative purpose, IMO) and to make the dungeons a bit more accessible.

/facepalm

I don't think you realize that everything would need to be recreated from scratch for a modern remake of any old game. Every asset, every piece of code would need to be entirely new. They can't copy over absolutely anything. Even the entire dialogue is outdated because it was designed to fit the tiny GameBoy screen without wasting your time with tons of consecutive dialogue boxes and would need to be rewritten. Basically they would create an entire game from zero.

So if you are going that far and recreating the entire game from null, why not just make an entirely new game? It would also very likely be a better game, since it would be designed with current hardware in mind. I hate to burst your bubble, but this is the reason why this sort of remake will forever be a dream.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• If they put so much effort into a remake, I'd much rather have a completely new game. I would have gotten very bored with ALttP 3D, but we got ALBW instead, which is a great new game.

Your ideas all sound very nice; for me though, it should be a requel, not a remake. :)
    • Please Understand wrote:

I don't think you realize that everything would need to be recreated from scratch for a modern remake of any old game. Every asset, every piece of code would need to be entirely new. They can't copy over absolutely anything. Even the entire dialogue is outdated because it was designed to fit the tiny GameBoy screen without wasting your time with tons of consecutive dialogue boxes and would need to be rewritten. Basically they would create an entire game from zero.

Apologies, I misunderstood your original intent. I thought you meant that the changes from the original were too drastic to merit a remake, but you mean that the process needed to actually produce the remake are too extensive to use on only a remake.

Perhaps we can both get our wishes: why not make a remake, and then reuse the engine and assets to make a brand new game? We get a cool remake, and a new game. And Ninty would probably turn profit on it all ;)

Nelsyv wrote:

• I am just suprised that since they reused the new "top down 3d" engine for triforce heroes, they didnt just announce remakes of the oracle game and LA because in a way they are all the same link and te "new" hero of hyrule looks the exact same as the hero of legend. yes the dungeonas may need work, but the world and gameplay could be just the same as the original game, mixed with the albw engine of course. since, lets face it, thats the definitive top down zelda engine. and if they do oracle games first, they would basicly save time ad money redoing LA transfer work. so to speak.
    • I am 100% behind the idea of a Link's Awakening remake. The original (well, the DX version) has long been my most treasured Zelda game. To see it remade and improved would delight me to no end.

Nelsyv wrote:

Perhaps we can both get our wishes: why not make a remake, and then reuse the engine and assets to make a brand new game? We get a cool remake, and a new game. And Ninty would probably turn profit on it all ;)
      Bam, sold, do it.
      (plus also pls don't forget the Oracle remakes also plox)

I'm on board with most of the changes you suggested. However, I don't think that fire arrows should replace the Magic Rod. I just don't see the point. Maybe change the name to "Fire Rod" just so it's clear right up front what it does, but beyond that, why bother?

I'm also not hugely in favour of the Ocarina taking three inventory slots. What if there's just the Ocarina item that you equip, and when you use it a small submenu pops up in the shape of the D-pad. Up for Ballad of the Wind Fish, Left for Frog's Song of Soul, Right for Manbo's Mambo. There'd even be a spare slot to add a fourth song, if the devs found a use for one.

But other than that, this is basically my dream.
      The guinea pig in name only, for it is neither.
    • While not specifically on the same wavelength, here are a series of quotes from myself taken from the Broadcast Satellite/Satellaview, ("BS", for short), Zelda Homepage Forums:

Tuf Pic wrote:

Also, not sure if anyone responded to this youtube video when I first posted it, but, just to be sure:It gives good reasons why there SHOULD BE AN EXPANDED UNIVERSE FOR ZELDA...Also, Serkol, I seem to recall, from reading a certain post on the Zelda Universe Forums, that in Hyrule Historia, it says that specifically gets defeated by THE GERUDO KING HIMSELF, for the Downfall Timeline to get created!!Which means that Twinrova's quote saying:
      QUOTE (Twinrova)
      I'll come back to haunt you!!

most certainly IS evidence for Ocarina of Time, & Oracles Link to be the same, as well as others...& I know you don't want me to keep saying this, but AOL would have been the PERFECT chance for Twinrova to kidnap Link, & the male Hero of Light, & for the girls to rescue the boys, because, look @ the way they, (the Gerudo), treat men/boys in Ocarina of Time, (I believe that 1 of the imprisoned carpenters said it best, when he said something along the lines of "They threw us into prison, JUST BECAUSE WE'REMEN!!), & demonic witches SHOULD KIDNAP BOYS, because, that's the way it is in a lot of fairytales, (arguably the majority), also, the male villains in Zelda, (Vire, Vaati, Ghiriam, Ganon[dorf], & Agahnim), almost without exception kidnap FEMALES, so why should we follow the same old cliches when it comes to female villains, although, granted, Twinrova DO kidnap Nabooru, but that should NOT HAPPEN AS OFTEN AS THEY SHOULD VICTIMIZE BOYS!! Also, they even TALK ABOUT OFFERING HIM AS A SACRIFICE!!WHO BETTER?! & maybe if they were to do that in a remake of Zelda 2, then maybe sacrificing Farore in Oracles wouldn't be so bad, although an even BETTER idea would be to let players CHOOSE who Twinrova kidnaps, instead of forcing an ending down our throats that some of us may HATE, by having a crucial choice earlier on, &, depending on our choice, either Zelda, (*shudders*), Farore, or Link could be sacrificed, much in the same way that they did with Ricky, Moosh, & Dimitri...That would probably make EVERYBODY LIKE ORACLES TO THE MAXIMUM, (INCLUDING ME)!!Here's how I think the current Zelda + the female Hero of Light could rescue the male heroes in an Adventure of Link remake:Zelda could be the 1 to tell the heroes about the ancient slumbering Zelda, & Impa could have her own town, (where she would teach the SHADOW SPELL, which would let you turn into a shadow, & avoid most/many enemies, which would remove a lot of headache about the game, anyways, also makes more sense in terms of Ocarina of Time), & the male heroes would fight in the beginning, & later get kidnapped, (perhaps several times?!), by Twinrova, (or at least with their help), @ which point the player would switch to the heroine's perspective(s), & would try to prevent the boys from being sacrificed (time limit, perhaps?!)...& then when the heroines confront the Sorceress Sisters, they would defeat them, rescue the boys, BUT, Twinrova would escape, like Agahnim, & vow to return, & then open up a portal to the Dark Realm, & make the pact with Veran & Onox!!Sound good to you?!Wow, that was a mouthful!!

[QUOTE=Duke Serkol,Feb 18 2013, 12:47 AM]Not if there isn't a solid reason for the differences. If the chosen vessel of Ganon was determined by something completely unrelated it would be really random and an example of poor storytelling.And that's not to mention the effect multiple endings have in an ongoing series. Do the authors arbitrarily decide which one actually happened for reference in future games? (This usually works if the endings are in various degrees of accomplishment for the hero from worse to best, but obviously that's not what you have in mind here)Do they restrict themselves to being vague about it, possibly creating narrative obstacles to future titles?You could say, well let's just have them be different timeline branches. Groovy. Imagine that each new installment in the series did that. Try and multiply the total number of Zelda games by three. That's how many timelines we'd have by now, most of which left completely unexplored.So yeah, query: Does it sound good?Response: No.
      zeldauniverse.net/forums/User/5338955-Tuf-Pic/#wall

StainedSigilum wrote:

Wow, that brings back memories, thought you were over the whole sacrificing Zelda factor, although sacrificing Farore is a different approach this time around, but a welcomed one. It would make more sense if they sacrificed all three Oracles to ressurect Ganon. One would think the combined powers of the Oracles would far supercede that of the royal blood of Zelda. Then again, Nayru could have just been used to bring Ganon back from before his demise. The story's got some serious gaps.

Wouldn't naming the 3 flames something like the following...

DESTRUCTION,

(Can't argue with this, seeing as destruction is a negative outcome/attribute of POWER),

Ignorance/Deception/Deceit,

(Here's where we start running into MAJOR problems, as "sorrow" has very little to do with the Goddess Nayru, & Ignorance, Deception, or Deceit would work just as well, considering that Veran was DECEIVING THE QUEEN, & THE PEOPLE OF LABRYNNA, into building the Black Tower, & turning the common folk against Nayru, respectively, so it actually fits into the plot of Oracle of Ages rather well),

Terror/Fear/Dread,

(Twinrova could just FRIGHTEN THE PEOPLE INTO REVIVING GANON, now couldn't they?! That would work equally as well as despair, if not BETTER!! :P They could also attempt to SUMMON THE TRIFORCE, & do the reverse of what did @ the end of A Link to the Past, i.e. they could wish away all of the GOOD that the heroines/heroes did, in addition to reviving the Demon King?!),

make more sense?!

EDIT: Thus, Farore or Link WOULD BE BETTER CHOICES!!

[QUOTE=Tuf Pic,Feb 20th, 2013, 01:08 AM[color=#FFFFFF]][/color][QUOTE=Duke Serkol,Feb 19 2013, 04:38 PM]Yeah, I myself have had the same thoughts you expressed in this last post concerning the flames.Obviously, when the plan was to have three games, the purple flame would instead have been green, yes. Odds are though that at the end of the third game, Zelda would still have been kidnapped to be used as a vessel for Ganon's revival since otherwise she would have had nothing to do throughout the entire thing.Rather what I often wonder about is... if the villains of Oracles represent the twisting of the three virtues of the Goddesses, with Onox being all destructive power and Veran being a deceiver... what would the third villain have acted like? Would he have been brash and unpredictable? Or focused on striking fear into the populace?

Ah well, at least we're beginning to see eye-to-eye on this matter!! ;)

But I still assert that Twinrova should AT LEAST sacrifice the male heroes in a version of AOL... :D (Just look @ the way the Gerudo tend to treat most males, aside from Ganondorf, in Ocarina Of Time, for starters)...

Ichiro wrote:

Did you come here to save me? Oh, that's just swell! I'm Ichiro the carpenter.
      We were really interested in joining their all-female group, but they locked us
      up like this just because we're men! We don't care about the Gerudo anymore!
      They're so rude!
      Three of my fellows have also been captured, so please help them escape, too!

& I actually think letting the players choose a linked ending would be A GOOD THING!!

& couldn't it have been a female villain, even back then?!

& if I had to guess, I'd say that they would be trying to strike FEAR INTO PEOPLE'S HEARTS, rather than DESPAIR!!

Because that would more closely mirror the Triforce's virtues, IN REVERSE!!

& perhaps Zelda could have another role, (maybe something like in the manga, where she telepathically contacts Link fighting Ganon)?!

& I hardly see how Zelda would have been kidnapped in the scenario we are discussing, because, SHE DOES NOT CORRESPOND TO THE GODDESS, FARORE, OR HER COLOR, OR FOR THAT MATTER, HER ATTRIBUTE!!

...Forgot to post this quote...

Twinrova wrote:

Look at that stupid kid! He came on his own to offer himself as a sacrifice to
      the great Ganondorf...

Seriously... WHO BETTER to kidnap ?!

Not only do at least some of the Gerudo tended to treat almost all most men/boys with scorn, BUT TWINROVA even TALK ABOUT OFFERING LINK AS A SACRIFICE...

Besides which, evil witches IN GENERAL, (& other female villains), usually victimize YOUNG MALES IN MYTHOLOGY/FOLKLORE/FAIRY TALES... Also, the male villains in Zelda ALWAYS kidnap females, (even in Colin's case, STILL ILIA GOT KIDNAPPED)...

& I actually LIKED Zelda's fighting style, in Super Smash Bros. Melee!! :P

Not to mention, even in AOL, neither the sleeping Zelda, nor the 1 from (BS)LOZ got sacrificed: LINK WAS, &, (if a sequel to the original BS Zelda were to eventually be made) also possibly the male Hero of Light...

Also, about my idea to split the Linked Ending into 3 parts, it was inspired by
      the concept of choosing either Ricky, Moosh, or Dimitri... That was 1 aspect of OOX I actually DID like...

& there would probably be a multitude of Zelda timelines irregardless, because, Link could die in any game, so there would be more than 1 "downfall timeline"...

Besides which, do you think that choosing either Ricky, Moosh, or Dimitri, depending on choices made earlier in either game, was an example of "bad storytelling"?!

Duke Serkol wrote:

Me.Though I'm starting to get the feeling Nintendo is deliberately ignoring ALttP (and Oracles) to spite me... j/k.

Canayarion wrote:

Miles wrote:

Here's hoping for Oracles representation down the line. And Four Swords + Minish Cap!
      Apparently Capcom and Koei-Tecmo have some terribly bad blood between them. KT recently even sued Capcom for a feature in Monster Hunter that KT had patented or something. And they've been rivals for long before that.
      Chances are small they're willing to take Capcom-developed characters and turn those into characters for their game. It's sad, really. :( I would have loved seeing the Oracles, Vaati, Veran, Onox etc. in HW.

Anyway, I got the 3DS game a few days ago and I decided to try the new characters and play the new story levels. It sucks that I first have to go through the old content.

I sold my Wii U DLC code for €12, which is the same price Nintendo will charge this summer. This means I have a pretty cheap 3DS game. :)

Hope we get to @least get to see TWINROVA!!

Especially if there's @least an option for them to victimize
      EDIT: Source for the above quote:

The 2'nd page of this thread!!

Duke Serkol wrote:

Ah, so that's why.Well, ALttP and Agahnim are not Capcom so crossing my fingers still for him to show up in some capacity (maybe a Wizzro costume in the ALBW expansion).

Tuf Pic wrote:

Hope we get to @least get to see TWINROVA!!Especially if there's @least an option for them to victimize

I'm starting to think that wish will some day end up etched out onto your tombstone ("Here rests Tuf Pic - Twinrova should have victimized Link!").

Might be worth it just to confuse the heck out of graveyard visitors.

1) Glad I could help explain why!!

...&...

2) ...Since it was brought up, well...

I'm not so sure if I'll have an actual TOMBSTONE, when I pass on into another plane-of-existence, from this 1, (possibly I might get CREMATED?!), &I think that they should still do a remake of OOX & AOL, in addition to a sequel to Link's Awakening!!

& before you ask which timeline branch the sequel to LADX would take place on, (just incase you don't recall, I mentioned the last time this was brought up on these forums, that they could have done 3 seperate Linked Endings depending on choices made by the player(s) of either/both linkable games, beforehand, much in the same way that they did with the Strange Flutes, which would almost assuredly take place on 3 seperate timelines, anyhow, because you can only have 1 Strange Flute, & hence 1 Pet per-game file, & they would have to, out of necessity take place on different timeline branches anyhow, which was an idea I DID LIKE IN OOX, & depending on which route was taken, either: 1) as much as I loathe this option, Zelda, who has a connection to the
      Display Spoiler
      Goddess Hylia,
      would stay the victim,
      2) Farore, or 3) who both have a connection with the color GREEN would be the victim,), all 3 timelines could be drawn into the new Dreamworld via the
      Display Spoiler
      Windfish's knowledge of multiple worlds/universes/Timelines/Realms/Realities/Dimensions!!

I hope that makes sense, despite it being quite the long-winded explanation!!

& Pokemon as well, & now that I've brought that up, I might as well include a URL to another thread I made on these forums:

http://z9.invisionfree.com/bszelda/index.p...wtopic=1005&hl=

Just had to get that out there!!

...&...

Duke Serkol wrote:

Tuf Pic wrote:

...Since it was brought up, well...

Oh yeah... your grievances with OoX were totally "brought up" coincidentally.
      You most certainly didn't shove them into yet another unrelated thread once again :lol:

Tuf Pic wrote:

I'm not so sure if I'll have an actual TOMBSTONE, when I pass on into another plane-of-existence, from this 1, (possibly I might get CREMATED?!),

That goes for me too actually. Not a big fan of worms.

Tuf Pic wrote:

I hope that makes sense, despite it being quite the long-winded explanation!!

Let's put it this way: it's just about the usual amount of sense we've come to expect from you ;)
      1) I thought I'd bring it up since the Oracle games were brought into this discussion!!

That's why!!

& I'd @least like to see more game('s) with TWINROVA particularily if they kidnapped/sacrificed (they really seem like the best Zelda villains to do so, @LEAST thus-far, although that still wouldn't placate the fans who wanted FARORE to be the victim, (which, I must admit, has it's own advantages), which is a major reason I suggested the Triple-Linked-Ending idea, & I even recall @1 of the formerly imprisoned carpenters saying something to the effect that the old witches, (i.e. the Hyrulean Koume & Kotake), were far more frightening to them than the regular Gerudo, which seems to heavily imply that Ganondorf's surrogate mothers treat most men/boys, (aside from the Demon King himself, for obvious reasons), WORSE than the regular Gerudo, so yes, they do very much seem to be the perfect villainous characters in Hyrule to kidnap him, aside from everything else I mentioned the last time around)!!

2) ...Not quite sure which option I'll choose, @this point, but I'm heavily leaning towards cremation...

...&...

3) THANKS!! !!

Source-threads for the above quotes:

BS Zelda -> Storyline section Final update,

...&...

BS Zelda -> Hyrule Warriors!!!!

In other words, I would very much like to see an expanded remake of OOX, (ESPECIALLY if it fixes the horribly 1-sided Linked Ending), in addition to a SEQUEL TO LADX, as well as an expanded remake of AOL, that includes the Heroine/Hero of Light, 2 Zelda's, (the ancient slumbering Zelda from AOL's Backstory, & (BS)LOZ's Zelda), as well as the Sages from OOTURA/OOT, (ESPECIALLY Saria), & give Impa her own town), in addition to Link, & now that I've mentioned that, I might as well post my (more-or-less), current Zelda Timeline:

I agree with some of it, but I have to disagree with a lot of the timeline...

Here's my own current timeline:

[QUOTE=Tuf Pic's (Updated), Timeline, slightly edited] *NECRO-BUMP*: :stalfos:

I'm sorry, but I recently viewed:

This video, which (briefly), defends Hyrule Historia, & then goes on to tell you why the poster doesn't believe it anyways...

Why am I bringing this up?!

Well, towards the end he says something about how if the fan translations of Hyrule Historia are to be believed, that even Aounuma says that fans aren't required to give up on their timelines/theories, just because Nintendo says something different, as they have changed their minds, from time to time... (Which they have)...

...(Skip to 4:34 to hear that part)...

...So there MIGHT BE SOME HOPE FOR US AFTER ALL!!

Also, wanted to take this chance to rearrange my timeline somewhat:

Pre-Split: SWS -> TMC -> OOTURA/OOT

Adult Timeline: TWW -> PH -> TT/NT -> ST

Child Timeline#1: OOTURA -> MM -> ALTTPGBA -> FS (possibly the Anniversary Edition), -> FSA -> SC2 -> LADX/AST -> BSLOZ -> AOL -> OOX

Child Timeline#2: Regular OOT -> MM -> ALTTPSNES -> FS -> FSA -> OOX -> LAB&W -> ALBW -> LOZ ->G&W -> AOL (Is it possible to switch the order of which game goes before which, from timeline to timeline)?!

...&...

Twilight/Duplicate Child Timeline #3: MM -> TP -> LCT

The other general media/games have their timelines as well, (yes, even the Tingle games/Mangas/Comic Books/CD-I Games/Cartoons), but I can't think of how to place those, @least @The moment...

Anything else that I should add?!

EDIT: ...Slight oversight on my part: Meant to mention Phantom Hourglass, but I forgot...

...FIXED...
      [

Mod Edit: No YouTube videos allowed in sigs, thank you!

The post was edited 33 times, last by Tuf Pic ().