Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
2016 Legend of Zelda Veteran's Challenge!
  • Yes, I would definitely like to know this month's challenge, since I couldn't participate in last month's OoT challenge. Been busy with the admins of ZU, work, and my own YouTube videos. Let me know what everyone decides. I'll be a little bit more prepared for it this time.
    ~The Great Sage, ZeldaGuardian~
    Leader and Founder of The Seven Sages
    Webmaster and Creator of Guardian Sages

"Don't let my past mistakes... Effect your future judgement of me..." ~ZeldaGuardian
    "Time is Fate's true love. One cannot exist without the other. If it is Fate, then Time will tell when it's ready." ~ZeldaGuardian
    "This is where it all begins... In the Temple of Sages..." ~ZeldaGuardian

• Unless anyone wants to come forward against it, I say we do the TP 100% run.

Rules will be as follows:

1) Winner will be decided based on:
    a) Finishing the game with getting everything (all heart pieces, poe souls, etc.)
    b) If multiple people finish with 100%, the winner will be decided based on completion time - the person who completed the challenge with the fastest time AND got 100% of everything will be the winner.
    c) A guide may be used to find the Poe Souls only! Using a guide for anything else will be considered cheating and you will be disqualified from this month's challenge.

2) While not strictly enforced, it would be nice to check in with updates with your progress so everyone knows where everyone is.

3) I don't know about everyone, but I will be using TPHD - unless everyone is using this game, then the optional stamps DO NOT count towards the 100%.

I think that is all - let's say the next challenge starts this Sunday, Jun. 5?

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    Come check out our little business - Birdie B Bath Bombs
  • I definitely second this motion to be agreed upon. And I, too, will be using the Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess HD for the Nintendo Wii U. However, if I may be so bold... I would like to add a stipulation to the Twilight Princess HD players.

The stipulation is this... Though the Poe Guide was granted to be used, I say that for those who play on the Twilight Princess HD (Wii U Remake) ARE NOT[u][/u] allowed to use the Poe Guide. Reason being is that you have the Ghost Lantern, which lights up when there's a Poe in the area. It seems only fair that those who are playing on the TP-HD are ONLY allowed to use the Ghost Lantern as the ONLY means of finding all the Poes.

If anyone who's going to be playing on the Twilight Princess- HD remake want to vote against it or for it, please reply down below and let's get this figured out.

"Don't let my past mistakes... Effect your future judgement of me..." ~ZeldaGuardian
    "Time is Fate's true love. One cannot exist without the other. If it is Fate, then Time will tell when it's ready." ~ZeldaGuardian

• I'm back home to stable internet again. Unfortunately, the Spirit Temple has defeated me. I did not complete the challenge. However, it was definitely the most fun I've ever had playing a Zelda game. All the polished, tried-and-true gameplay and controls of the N64 Zelda games, but with the brilliantly challenging and engaging difficulty of a SNES Zelda.

As for the June challenge... I accept. I will be using the old-school fully-canon GameCube edition, mostly because I borrowed it from my friend a year ago and still haven't returned it... :P

Unfortunately I won't be able to digitally capture screenshots of this one in 1080p glory like I did for last month's challenge (oh, what I would give for a good GPU so I could emulate GCN TP in HD...), but I'll try to keep you all updated.

Final question: since all challenges end at the end of the month no matter what, why not start it immediately?

Nelsyv wrote:

I saw that the trailer they released at the end of the Switch event stream looked like it would be a story trailer, so I immediately turned it off. I'm going dark until I've beaten BotW, I don't want any spoilers whatsoever. Wish me strength to resist the temptations.

• So we have no winner of May 2016 challange?
    :(

Oh well, TP 100% is much easier to accomplish than 3 heart OoT.
    (Cause I've done TP100 before, but never OoT3H. :p)

I do not know if I should join in or not for this months challange.
    And the reason is, cause I like 1 month ago played TPHD to the end.
    If I do join, it will be late.
    There will be much free time this month, so if I don't find anything to use my free time on I might sink some hours into this. :)
  • Once again, if I may be so bold... Here's what I know about the rules, courtesy of @Dark Link Reigns...

Dark Link Reigns wrote:

1) Winner will be decided based on:
    a) Finishing the game with getting everything (all heart pieces, poe souls, etc.)
    b) If multiple people finish with 100%, the winner will be decided based on completion time - the person who completed the challenge with the fastest time AND got 100% of everything will be the winner.
    c) A guide may be used to find the Poe Souls only! Using a guide for anything else will be considered cheating and you will be disqualified from this month's challenge.

2) While not strictly enforced, it would be nice to check in with updates with your progress so everyone knows where everyone is.

3) I don't know about everyone, but I will be using TPHD - unless everyone is using this game, then the optional stamps DO NOT count towards the 100%.
    And after much debate, I think we can agree on the newest stipulation... Soo, here's what I see as far as the new rules...
    1. Winner will be decided based on:
      • Finishing the game, while getting everything throughout the game (All Heart Pieces, Poe Souls, All Armor/Shields/Swords/Items, etc.)
      • If multiple people finish with a 100% completion, the winner will, then, be decided based on completion time - whoever completes the challenge within the fastest time AND has a 100% completion will be declared the winner.
      • The Poe Souls Guide can be used only!! Using any other part of the Twilight Princess Guide will be considered cheating and you will get disqualified. A possible sit out of next month's challenge may be applied as well, but that will be determined by the admins.

2. Though it's completely optional, we would appreciate it if the challengers check in with updates on your progress, soo we can see where everyone is standing by the end of the week.
    3. You can use any version of the Twilight Princess Game: Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo Wii, and Nintendo Wii U. If you use the Twilight Princess HD on the Wii U, the optional stamps DO NOT count towards the 100%.
    4. Now, if you're using the Twilight Princess HD Remake, the Poe Guide use will NOT be available. The only option you have is using the Ghost Lantern.
    In case some of you don't know what the Ghost Lantern is, I shall explain... The Ghost Lantern is a new item that's featured in Twilight Princess HD Remake. Once you find your first Ghost, you must go visit Jovanni House in Hyrule Castle Town. After you visit him, he will ask you to search for more Ghosts. Then, he will give you the Ghost Lantern. The Ghost Lantern is the exact Lantern the Poe Ghosts carry (the Lantern you see floating around). It glows a bright bluish glow, and only lights up when there's a Poe in the area.

If there's anyone that wants to add/edit rules, please reply below and let's get this figured out before June 5th. Once June 5th is upon us, I will be officially starting the challenge.

• Nelsyv wrote:

I'm back home to stable internet again. Unfortunately, the Spirit Temple has defeated me. I did not complete the challenge. However, it was definitely the most fun I've ever had playing a Zelda game. All the polished, tried-and-true gameplay and controls of the N64 Zelda games, but with the brilliantly challenging and engaging difficulty of a SNES Zelda.

As for the June challenge... I accept. I will be using the old-school fully-canon GameCube edition, mostly because I borrowed it from my friend a year ago and still haven't returned it... :P

Unfortunately I won't be able to digitally capture screenshots of this one in 1080p glory like I did for last month's challenge (oh, what I would give for a good GPU so I could emulate GCN TP in HD...), but I'll try to keep you all updated.

Final question: since all challenges end at the end of the month no matter what, why not start it immediately?
    I would normally agree with this - let's say that this month we start on Jun. 5 and the challenge ends Jun. 30 (makes it a bit more challenging with a few less days).

Then going forward all challenges will start the first day of the month and end the last day of the month. Anyone can join at any time throughout the month.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    Come check out our little business - Birdie B Bath Bombs
  • Well, i'm just here to give an update. Friend brought his own copy, which was lucky 'cuz I can't find mine :derp: . In terms of progress, just started the Forest Temple (and just started the game today). Disc has had trouble reading for some reason. Cleaned it multiple times but still hasn't worked. :argh:
    Triforce Of Link#0894 on Discord

Check out PBG HC.

In my quest to stave off boredom, I calculated that the Zelda Universe Forums began on June 25, 2003.

Has existed for two years! 4/12/2016 - 4/12/2018
  • Well, just giving an update on Wii U functionality. Called GameStop for repairs. Got re-directed to Nintendo of America. Lucky me, the warranty is still good so all I have to do is wait for a notice, box up the system, controller, and AV cable and wait to get it back repaired or get a new replacement. No payment necessary. :DD

Check out PBG HC.

In my quest to stave off boredom, I calculated that the Zelda Universe Forums began on June 25, 2003.

• Yeah, looking at my schedule for the rest of the month... I'm not going to be able to finish this one, not remotely. So unless a miracle happens, don't expect much from my challenge effort lol.

That said, I wish good luck to those bravely continuing on! :mastahsword:

Nelsyv wrote:

I saw that the trailer they released at the end of the Switch event stream looked like it would be a story trailer, so I immediately turned it off. I'm going dark until I've beaten BotW, I don't want any spoilers whatsoever. Wish me strength to resist the temptations.

• Update: Received notification to package up the Wii U equipment. Need bubble wrap (which I don't have at the moment) which will be available by Tuesday. Then Wii U will be shipped via UPS. Seeing as how the month is slipping away so easily, I may have to ask for maybe an extra week if the month ends before I get my Wii U back.

Also, if you've ever heard (or were a fan, like myself) of the Disney XD cartoon, Gravity Falls, today was the creator, Alex Hirsch's, birthday. (BTW, he always hid the number 618 in his episodes and revealed to the public that that was his birthday.) Also, he told the public of his twin sister, Ariel, and, since they're twins, it's her birthday, too. :DD

Check out PBG HC.

• Well, I have to wait until after the 4th of July to get my Wii U back, so I'm probably not gonna do anything with this challenge. I think, since it was suggested against this month's challenge, we should do a 100% Skyward Sword run. Guides only allowed for Gratitude Crystals, Goddess Cubes/Chests, and Heart Pieces. I know where everything is, but there may be someone who doesn't or someone who forgets something without realizing it.

Check out PBG HC.

• We did a MM 3-heart run in January, so I'd be opposed to anything on MM for a while.

I'm OK with a SS 100% run, but I say it has to be in Hero Mode ;)

Nelsyv wrote: