Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    What game(s) are you currently playing?
    • Hoju wrote:

I've decided to kick the MMOs off to the side for a bit and play more fulfilling games that can actually be beat.

Last couple nights I've been working on Wolftenstein The New Order.
      Good choice. I didn't find much replay value from it since I had Doom, but it's still good gameplay and story.

I'm thinking of resuming my Metroid Prime 2 playthrough this weekend. I sat it down and just got distracted by Siege, whiskey, and being a heathen
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19
    • Finished Resident Evil Revelations 2. I didn't like the story either in the end, just absolutely no surprises, and the "twists" were kinda cringe worthy tbh. I think from the entire game I will just keep the narrative structure which was cool. Alex Wesker sucked. Worst RE villain. Moira was annoying and she should have stayed dead. I think overall I am glad I played it so I can get it out of the way, but the first Revelations was better, and both of them are extremely forgettable and have way too basic level design.

I moved on to Resident Evil 7, played a couple hours. I am quite impressed so far overall. I wasn't expecting it to be so much like a normal, classic RE but in first person. The only thing I dislike at the moment is the guy that keeps chasing you around and the whole "modern stealth horror" feel. I just put him down with bullets sometimes to feel more RE. I mean, played Amnesia and Penumbra and that was fun for its time, but all those games where all you can do is hide and run away feel like the exact same game with a different skin, and that's exactly why I hated Outlast. Thankfully, it is done way better in RE7 (and you can actually fight) so I am enjoying the game, and I am hoping it will eventually stop being a cat and mouse game.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 2 times, last by Please Understand ().

• Please Understand wrote:

I am hoping it will eventually stop being a cat and mouse game.
      I haven't played the game, but from what I've heard, it arguably goes too far in the other direction and becomes a shooting gallery.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • Still playing Axiom Verge. When you die, it seems like some kind of supercomputer recreates you with your previous memories intact. (Doing a bit of guesswork on that, but that's what it sounded like to me) It's an explanation for video game death, and it's a pretty good one, to boot.

The atmosphere is really good. It's similar to Super Metroid, of course, but tbh, it's drawn me in more than Super Metroid ever did. I think it's just the premise. A dude is being killed and recreated over and over again because... giant female alien computer people thought it was a good idea. Go with it!
    • @Bartimaeus Sex

Finally, I'm fighting the Boost Guardian on Echoes. I've figured out how to fight it, but what a cheap shotting asshole, lunging at you before the cut scenes are over. It took me a good 15 minutes to realize I have to go morph ball again to fight his boost ball.

Edit:
      Beat him on the 3rd attempt. His AI definitely changes during the boost cycles with his aim changing up. Overall, a fun fight though minus the cheap shots
      "Constantly talking about what you've done is a long winded way of saying you don't do s*** anymore." - Ross Enamait

#GainsWave2018-'19

The post was edited 1 time, last by Rambo ().

• Had to rage quit for now. I'm on Alpha Bogg, which isn't that hard of a boss, but I didn't have enough health to tank a couple hits to figure out the strategy. I suppose I could've Google a guide, but that takes the fun away.

What happened is I was going to save after opening up the Bog room, but accidentally fell down in the hole at the bottom from which you can't jump out...the save room entrance is at the top of this room (stupid ass design). I couldn't find any saves after that so I have to redo all the bog locks again.

I hate water levels.

#GainsWave2018-'19

The post was edited 2 times, last by Rambo ().

• Finished RE7. It was quite good. I wish I knew there were points of no return so I could go back and pick up the things I missed, but I guess I will replay it. The game was shorter than I thought. I wish there was a little more story to it, I had to learn most of it through documents. More so than other RE games.

My biggest gripe with the game though? What the hell happened to Chris?! Bring back the hulk.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • Two chapters done in The House of Fata Morgana, and they're a fascinating contrast.

The first one has a lot of setup and a very sudden payoff, frankly, and I was kinda so-so on it. Also, not sure if this is a reflection of me or the game, but my brain kept seeing things that felt like they'd fit right in to Revolutionary Girl Utena. (You got roses, some of the character personalities, talks of princes and princesses, old fairy tales...)

Chapter 1

So, the chapter spends a lot of time in what would normally be "buildup" to the climax, establishing things and then ramping up the tension...but it largely didn't increase the tension, to my mind. It mostly kept it flat before suddenly everything goes off a cliff when Nellie learns the truth. Oh, there's a bit of mystery there vis-a-vis what the White-Haired Girl wants (though it took almost two hours for her to even suggest she had ulterior motives) and such, but it all felt very...low stakes. The payoff does arise from what was established earlier, but the consequence is...our protagonist has his heart broken, his sister's issues come to the fore, and the woman he loves runs away. It's not pleasant, especially the sister stuff, but it's, mostly, not particularly horrific or thought-provoking, either.

As an introductory story to ease you into things it's alright, chapter 2's story would've been a hard sell as your first one, but it's not one I'm going to spend time thinking about.

The second one goes hard in on the horror right from the start and has quite the emotional roller-coaster to it, with information you learn constantly revealing more context around what's happened and, thus, changing your perception, leading you to question many of your assumptions and take a look at why you made them and what they mean. There's a lot to unpack from this one, and it's just really interesting.

I'd strongly suggest not viewing the below spoiler unless you know you don't care about them or have already played the game. The continually unfolding understanding is so important to why this chapter works.

Chapter 2

So. The beast.

I'll admit, the identity of the beast surprised me. They were very clever about making it seem as if he'd killed the merchant, even though there were signs that the merchant he killed couldn't have been the right one. But the reveal isn't really the best part of the story, to my mind. The best part is the layers.

It's very carefully to set itself up as a "Monstrous person regains their humanity" story at first (which did make me suspicious), and reveals relatively early that "the beast" had been abused and attacked before coming to the mansion, so their lashing out, while horrific, was perhaps understandable. But then you find out the truth...it wasn't the abuse or the amnesia that made him like this, he'd always had a bestial side that he indulged in on occasion, all this did was remove any reason for him to not use it whenever he wanted. Except it's not that simple, either, because he does seem to want to genuinely not be a beast while at the same time revelling in it. It's not even as if the two parts of him are at war with each other, he just...is both those people and slides between modes.

It's also interesting to me that, while it's not stated, the "anchor" of the White-Haired Woman selflessly loving him wasn't enough to "fix" him. While he wasn't abusive to her, after their first meeting, her selfless devotion to him didn't stop him from killing another "beast", and the writing makes it very ambiguous if he knew what he was doing or not when that happened. So here we have his new anchor being unable to stop him from killing his old one, and, indeed, there was nothing she could have done. If she asserted his humanity then he was forced to confront what he'd done as "a beast" and accept responsibility for it, which made him more and more upset and prone to lashing out. If she didn't then he'd just be a beast and could revel in that once again. I'm also very curious as to her thoughts after he killed "the other beast", because she almost had to know that he'd murdered a person, and while she may not have understood what they were saying (it's hard to tell what language is being spoken by a character at any given time, but I think it's safe to say that the betrothed wasn't speaking Spanish at that point and the only language we see the White-Haired Woman speak is Spanish) she almost had to know that he'd killed a woman who was pleading for her life, given her hearing and being just the other side of a door.

In the end, it's not a simple story and there's no easy answers. He was undeniably monstrous, but did he truly wish to be better? He can't seem to decide himself, but is that because if he can be better now then he has no excuse for being a monster before? Or is it because he doesn't really want to be better, in his heart of hearts? Or does the answer change from day to day?

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• I started Rakuen tonight, and like I do with almost all interactive fiction games that use the RPG Maker engine, I got sucked in and played for way longer than I should have lol.

This game is definitely ripping at some heartstrings. I'm about 1/4 through, I think—this game is looooong. It hasn't crushed me emotionally like To the Moon...yet, but I am consistently comparing it favorably with that game. (Which reminds me: I got the sequel to To the Moon almost a year ago; I'm not sure I'll ever be ready, though.) Laura Shigihara's score is top-notch, as expected, and she's quickly proven that she is a fantastic game writer, too!