Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    What game(s) are you currently playing?
    • I started playing Resident Evil 6 today and finished the first campaign (Leon's). I am actually having a lot of fun. I had already accepted that it's going to be ridiculous and over the top, and I have to say it is more so than I thought but it's just really fun nonetheless. Certainly an underrated game in my book despite its flaws (of which it has several). I think the one thing that annoys me the most about it is the camera which simply can't keep up (4 and 5 didn't have this issue), and secondarily how fucking dark it is, most of the time I can't see shit.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • I've been editing a FireRed rom to make the gym leaders/elite four the Cipher Admin, Team Snagem, etc. from Pokémon Colosseum. Levels are adjusted to the approximate levels they would normal be in FireRed/LeafGreen. Available Pokémon are randomized (excluded legendaries with the exception of the static ones like Zapdos and Mewtwo). A couple of XD Gale of Darkness bosses are in here as well.

I'm doing a playthrough now to see if there's anything too easy/difficult. I'll probably do at least one more when this is finished.

Display Spoiler

Cipher Admin Ein as the fourth gym leader. (First encounter with Ein in the Shadow Pokémon Lab)

Display Spoiler

Cipher Admin Miror B as Koga's replacement (The Miror B rematch in Realgam Tower)

Display Spoiler

Team Snagem Head Gonzap first encounter at Realgam Tower, I've put him as the first Elite Four member.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bartimaeus Sex ().

• Played some SNES Mini with my nephew again. We enjoyed Street Fighter II and co-op in Kirby Super Star as usual. Then I tried Earthbound for like twenty minutes, couldn't really get into it. Same for Super Punchout except it was just for five minutes lol. I'm impatient, but I also wanted to move on so we could play KSS and SFII.

I've gotta say, visually SNES games haven't aged as well as I thought. I'd say NES games have aged better in that regard.

All in all, so far the most alright experiences to me have been with Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Super Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, and of course Street Fighter II (plus Turbo) and Kirby Super Star. The rest I've only tried briefly or not at all (except ALttP and DKC which I've played a lot of a long time ago and don't find them enjoyable anymore).

All that's missing is the three Mortal Kombat games and Killer Instinct.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• ich Will wrote:

I've gotta say, visually SNES games haven't aged as well as I thought. I'd say NES games have aged better in that regard.
      Really? Honestly curious what you mean by that, cause most NES games I still play look pretty bad by today's standards. Not even in a charming way, just simple and messy and a bit harsh on the eyes. Not every SNES game has aged well, but most of the "classics" still look pretty beautiful to me.
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • @GregariousTree Well I was a child when the SNES was the hottest thing, so comparing those memories to what I'm seeing now on the SNES Mini does make me feel a bit disillusioned. But I also do play on a fairly large HDTV now as opposed to the small CRT I had back then. Could also have something to do with my settings on either the TV or the Mini, or both. I just see the flaws now that I didn't back then.

And yeah, maybe the NES visuals haven't aged better than the SNES, but I do think the 8-bit visuals work better for some games. It depends. Like, I'd take Mega Man's NES visuals over the SNES ones (other than the flickering laggy NES sprites), but then I find Ghosts 'n Goblins on the NES looks worse than Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I also prefer Contra's NES visuals. Mario looks alright on both systems.

We do have a modern market for indie games that heavily imitate the 8-bit style like Shovel Knight, The Messenger, etc, which shows that such visuals can be preferable. Even if, of course, the imitators look better than the originals do because of modern hardware.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ich Will ().

• Yeah, I suppose it does depend on the specific games. I grew up with the SNES too, so for me I think the nostalgia hit overrides the flaws to a degree, where I don't get that with NES games. Been playing Faxanadu recently though, and that game is pretty sweet looking. Mostly though I find that NES games have REALLY not aged well, haha
      A dark chase requires a silent hound, and deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    • Oh I see, that makes sense. I did have a NES before I got the SNES, guess that explains a bit of my previous post.

Also Faxanadu? I remember borrowing that, couldn't get past the first one or two screens of it lol. It did feel like NES games were particularly more difficult and tedious than the games of later generations

The post was edited 1 time, last by ich Will ().

• Got a few on the go, all acquired over the holidays:

The House in Fata Morgana (PC):
      I've heard good things about this one for quite a while and got a Steam gift card, so I decided to give it a go. Currently a bit over an hour in and enjoying it. The premise is that you've woken up in a mouldering mansion with a mysterious maid talking to you and no memory of who you are or what's going on. The maid decides to help you regain your memory by showing you the memories...of the house in order to try and cure your amnesia. I'm still way too early on to have any idea what's going on, but I'm intrigued, despite the memory-loss premise.

The music is excellent, the writing is a touch overblown but it suits the Gothic aesthetic, and while the art style isn't a favourite of mine (everyone looks like they haven't slept in months) it does feel sufficiently, well, Gothic. Only other complaint I'd have is that so far I've had all of one choice, and it was pretty clearly an inconsequential one. I'm more along for the ride than I am deciding anything. We'll see if that changes, but if not it'll be fine.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch):
      Fun puzzle game. Not...a lot else to say here, really. It's low-key but enjoyable, with clever ideas built around navigating 3D Mario-esque levels without the ability to jump. Controls feel oddly imprecise, which is weird 'cause it's just using the analog stick to walk, but it just...doesn't feel precise enough at times. Otherwise enjoying it quite a bit.

Spider-Man (PS4):
      It's fun! Web swinging takes a bit to get used to, but now that I've got it down it's a blast. Combat is a bit shallow-feeling so far, and part of me is irrationally saddened by it not looking like the new Spiderverse film (which, I mean, it couldn't for a number of reasons) but it's fun to zip around the city. I just hope more depth than "swing around, grab backpacks, take photos, and engage in random fights that aren't that great" shows up.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch):
      So, definitely a fun game, but both the spirit board and world of light...aren't all that much fun? I dunno what I'd want out of a single player mode, but these just aren't doing it for me, and I don't know why.

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

Those who defy it, glory!

The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

• In terms of what you do around the city, most of it is going to be the same skirmishes over and over again. It gets harder as you go (you unlock different factions other than “thug crimes”). There are some other things that do open up, but in terms of 100%ing it, you’re doing those crimes for most of it.

If you don’t go for 100%, the other things you unlock to do around the city will probably blend in well enough. But the meat of it really is the story missions. They’re so good. Haha.
    • Got myself a PS2 and started playing Legend of Dragoon again.

I love this game so I'm really glad I was able to find both for super cheap.

I also bought Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD as I've started both of those games but have never finished them.

I still need to tear into Persona 5 more.

Also got COD: Black Ops 4 and Battlefield 5 (got both of them for $25!) so I'm super stoked to tear into those as well.

I've basically got enough games to keep me going for a good long time now.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
    • Ty. wrote:

Big Daddy Biggles wrote:

Also got COD: Black Ops 4 and Battlefield 5 (got both of them for $25!) so I'm super stoked to tear into those as well.
      How?
      I thought we established already that I'm simply amazing and I make the impossible possible.

But more honestly, they were both half off at EB Games and I had gift cards from Christmas lol.

• Guinea wrote:

Wow you guys have EB Games? They were the game store around here until Gamestop appeared.

Whenever someone mentions Legend of Dragoon I just have to listen to that super chill main menu theme.
      Ya that's our primary gaming store for newer titles and stuff (we have a couple smaller stores in my area that also have retro-gaming stuff).

I know, right? I forgot how much I love all the music in this game.