Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    What game(s) are you currently playing?
    • john_marston wrote:

      Started Fire Emblem Fates. I have the special edition, thought it would let me pick if I wanted to start with Conquest or Birthright, but an hour in and it's just like a normal FE game. Did they merge the games into one for the special edition?
      All 3 "games" (I'm probably the only guy that likes the game on this site and even I refuse to count it as 3 games and more like a big game they decided to charge 80 dollars for and have a very limited physical run for) start the same, the branch comes at Chapter 6 which is where you choose your version if you have more than one installed/have the special edition.

      Funnily enough censorship aside as far as gameplay is concerned the worldwide release of the special edition is the definitive version of the game while the japanese one got screwed: they lack Revelation in their actual game card while we got all 3 on it (guess what's going to happen to them once 3DS online support dies and they somehow lose their download data).
    • thanks, that makes sense. It seems like a normal & good FE game so far, albeit a bit heavy on anime plot

      And yeah I'm very glad to have all 3 on a cartridge. I didn't even bother with all the extra stuff, I just bought a second hand copy with just the game (case+cart) online. I'm trying to avoid big collector's edition boxes, takes up too much space and I don't particularly care for aesthetic extras. I want functionality. But I digress
    • Plot goes full idiot balls galore on Conquest and Revelation real quick and kinda just exists in Birthright, but I never liked FE for its stories so whatever, so long as the maps are good (which they are, if only on Conquest if we're being serious) I'm good for it.

      Still can't beat the Teralyst on Warframe, though I learned that you can make a literal anti-projectile bunker with Volt's shield instead of just setting it up in front of you so I'll try again later today with that knowledge and maybe it'll go better, just need to get rid of stupid Vomvalysts healing the damn thing's shield in the final phase faster.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Jackos ().

    • Jackos wrote:

      All 3 "games" (I'm probably the only guy that likes the game on this site and even I refuse to count it as 3 games and more like a big game they decided to charge 80 dollars for and have a very limited physical run for) start the same, the branch comes at Chapter 6 which is where you choose your version if you have more than one installed/have the special edition.
      I loved'em in a bunch of ways. I have a mountain of complaints, but overall net-very-positive feelings on the games.

      I think it's unfair to say that it's just a single game they charged $80 for - it's a LOT more content than they would have been able to afford to make for a single $40 release. I think it's best to think of it as a single game with two substantial new campaigns in DLC packs/expansions, since I think that matches the actual business model there best.
    • Much as I dislike "amount of content is how to judge a game", and as much as I really didn't care for Fates, you still get about 3 games' worth of content for the price of about 2.5 games.

      And deliberately writing stories such that you don't get the complete story from one entry isn't really new, or even all that controversial. Like, having a first book that doesn't explain anything followed by the next volume going over the same events from a different point of view but explaining what's going on is rare, but hardly unheard of. Or having a trilogy where each volume ends on a cliffhanger.

      May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

      Those who defy it, glory!
    • I enjoyed them, and after all the Pokémon’s, and oracles of ages and seasons, I’m pretty desensitized to the cash grab that it is. Yes I know it took it one step further but...shrug. I didn’t have to buy it.

      At least you have AN ending, as opposed to games where you know it’s one installment of a larger story, like Shenmue. It’s actually quite similar to that actually..you get some sort of ending but to get the bigger picture ending you need to buy another game. At least you don’t have to wait decades.
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

      “It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”

      The post was edited 2 times, last by Castigear ().

    • Max N. wrote:

      As far as shitty game business models go, this one wasn't even a blip on my radar. It's most similar to, say, the Oracle games, really.
      I was quite angry at them initially for releasing it like this, but then I played an ungodly amount of hours just on one of the three branches, and I realized that the amount of content is simply huge and they couldn't possibly charge for only 1 3DS game for all 3. I basically paid for two and got three (plus collector's edition stuff), even though I played maybe 1.5, just the existence of the other two plot lines makes the ones you actually play more enjoyable because the choice has more impact and the game feels deeper and more complex. Even if you never touch the other two. Well worth the money.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

    • I can see arguing that the amount of maps was a sizable amount of content that didn't make the game as blatant of a cash grab but not much else. Especially if we're going to get into story and character writing or about any of the routes feeling more complex because of the others. I know that's not really a big part of the games for everyone, but even if you already don't care for FE stories in general, Fates was assuredly worse because of the split routes. I've felt bored with the plot of some FE games (namely Shadow Dragon) but god Birthright's just made me actively angry. I finished that game and looked at the at least 40+ time I put into and was just like wow what a waste of my time. I also wasn't too fond of the idea of your gay option characters being locked to specific routes (or how they were written as they were pretty terrible representation or that if you decide to marry them you were locked out of child characters or child characters being included in the game at all, etc.).
      Oh and then there's the fact that even after having three different routes to explain what the hell was going on, you still needed to buy the DLC to get the full lore to actually understand what was going on. No thanks.
    • Ty. wrote:

      Would I prefer 1 game with a branching path? Yeah. Did it completely kill the game for me? Not really.

      That said, I’m picturing if Radiata Stories did that with a certain mid game decision.
      Oh my god, someone else who knows Radiata Stories. You're now one of my favorite people on this site! <3

      As for games I'm currently playing, I've had a major minor obsession with the Yakuza series as of late, so I'm currently playing through Kiwami 2 and I'm enjoying the CRAP out of it. Mostly, anyways. I've only had one thing that truly frustrated me a lot, but otherwise it's shaping to be my favorite Yakuza.

      I'm having a terrible backlog problem though. I still have Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise to get through. And the Spyro Trilogy. And Tales of Berseria. And Fire Emblem Warriors. And Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And Dragon Quest XI. I'm still playing FFXIV on top of all of that. And Smash Ultimate comes out in a couple days...

      I think I need an intervention lol.
    • PrinnyOfTime wrote:

      Ty. wrote:

      Would I prefer 1 game with a branching path? Yeah. Did it completely kill the game for me? Not really.

      That said, I’m picturing if Radiata Stories did that with a certain mid game decision.
      Oh my god, someone else who knows Radiata Stories. You're now one of my favorite people on this site! <3
      As for games I'm currently playing, I've had a major minor obsession with the Yakuza series as of late, so I'm currently playing through Kiwami 2 and I'm enjoying the CRAP out of it. Mostly, anyways. I've only had one thing that truly frustrated me a lot, but otherwise it's shaping to be my favorite Yakuza.

      I'm having a terrible backlog problem though. I still have Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise to get through. And the Spyro Trilogy. And Tales of Berseria. And Fire Emblem Warriors. And Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And Dragon Quest XI. I'm still playing FFXIV on top of all of that. And Smash Ultimate comes out in a couple days...

      I think I need an intervention lol.
      Tales of Berseria is real good! The combat isn't my favourite (it's not bad, it just could easily have been much better), and Velvet's default outfit is preposterous in all the wrong ways, but the character writing is so good.

      May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

      Those who defy it, glory!

      The post was edited 1 time, last by John ().

    • John wrote:

      PrinnyOfTime wrote:

      Ty. wrote:

      Would I prefer 1 game with a branching path? Yeah. Did it completely kill the game for me? Not really.

      That said, I’m picturing if Radiata Stories did that with a certain mid game decision.
      Oh my god, someone else who knows Radiata Stories. You're now one of my favorite people on this site! <3 As for games I'm currently playing, I've had a major minor obsession with the Yakuza series as of late, so I'm currently playing through Kiwami 2 and I'm enjoying the CRAP out of it. Mostly, anyways. I've only had one thing that truly frustrated me a lot, but otherwise it's shaping to be my favorite Yakuza.

      I'm having a terrible backlog problem though. I still have Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise to get through. And the Spyro Trilogy. And Tales of Berseria. And Fire Emblem Warriors. And Xenoblade Chronicles 2. And Dragon Quest XI. I'm still playing FFXIV on top of all of that. And Smash Ultimate comes out in a couple days...

      I think I need an intervention lol.
      Tales of Berseria is real good! The combat isn't my favourite (it's not bad, it just could easily have been much better), and Velvet's default outfit is preposterous in all the wrong ways, but the character writing is so good.
      The best part too is one of the first places you visit in the game is a snowy area, which only makes her outfit even more preposterous lol. But yeah, I agree so far! The story is shaping up to be really good, and I love the twist that you're not playing as the good guys this time, so I'm very interested to see where the story goes. Tales games usually have very good character development, and that's why I like them so much. And yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the later games combat feeling like they're just adding a bunch of extra "fluff" to give it the illusion of depth. Like at the end of the day, combat comes down to stringing combos and knowing when to block and dodge. The extra stuff is just confusing and makes the combat feel far more difficult than it actually is. I feel like Tales of the Abyss still found the best balance in its combat systems. Though I think both Xillia 1 and 2 are a close second for me combat-wise.
    • I like this RPG talk.

      My backlog currently consists of:

      Finishing Berseria
      Finishing the last three characters of Octopath Traveler
      Yakuza Kiwami 1
      Finishing the post-post-post endgame of DQXI
      Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna Expansion
      Valkyria Chronicles 2, 3, and 4
      Finishing BotW Champions Ballad
      Ni No Kuni 2
      Atelier Lydie and Suelle (I know)
      Finishing Y's 8 (I say finish...I'm about an hour in)
      Dammit I just realized I still need to finish SMT4 Apocalypse
      Finish Etrian Odyssey untold 2
      Finishing Trails of Cold Steel 2

      Not to mention:
      Detroit: Become Human
      Darksiders 2 & now 3
      Both Pillars of Eternity
      Undertale


      Good Lord listing this out was a bad idea. There's more, I'm sure of it. Ugh.
      My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

      “It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
    • Castigear wrote:

      I like this RPG talk.

      My backlog currently consists of:

      Finishing Berseria
      Finishing the last three characters of Octopath Traveler
      Yakuza Kiwami 1
      Finishing the post-post-post endgame of DQXI
      Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Torna Expansion
      Valkyria Chronicles 2, 3, and 4
      Finishing BotW Champions Ballad
      Ni No Kuni 2
      Atelier Lydie and Suelle (I know)
      Finishing Y's 8 (I say finish...I'm about an hour in)
      Dammit I just realized I still need to finish SMT4 Apocalypse
      Finish Etrian Odyssey untold 2
      Finishing Trails of Cold Steel 2

      Not to mention:
      Detroit: Become Human
      Darksiders 2 & now 3
      Both Pillars of Eternity
      Undertale


      Good Lord listing this out was a bad idea. There's more, I'm sure of it. Ugh.
      You can skip Ni No Kuni 2, and probably Detroit. :P


      Of that list, I quite enjoyed Berseria, Ys VIII, SMT4:A, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2, and Trails of Cold Steel 2. I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity 2, but 1 was quite a bit rougher, to the point where the world building got in the way of good writing at times.

      May those who accept their fate be granted happiness;

      Those who defy it, glory!