Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Multi
    What game(s) are you currently playing?
    • Even though it only took me two attempts to beat, Far Cry Primal's fight with Ull is extremely irritating. It's a lot like a Zelda boss, except you can only attempt the one thing that will damage him (dropping icicles on him and doing a takedown) a limited number of times, and successfully hitting him with the icicles is a lot harder than any Zelda weak point attack I can recall.

And I don't care if you are a Neanderthal, an arrow to the face is going to hurt. He's not even wearing a helmet!
      O Gods dethroned and deceased, cast forth, wiped out in a day
      From your wrath is the world released, redeemed from your chains, men say.
      New Gods are crowned in the city; their flowers have broken your rods;
      They are merciful, clothed with pity, the young compassionate Gods.
      But for me their new device is barren, the days are bare;
      Things long past over suffice, and men forgotten that were.

Algernon Charles Swinburne, "Hymn to Proserpine"

Post by Guinea ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • Only thing I don't like in FF8 is having to draw magic before you can refine it from cards later. Getting max magic for junctioning takes a while and is boring. Aside from that I love it. It's in my top 3 FF games. The other two being FF7 and FFX.

Tru Universe|Cat Midna Avatar and Signature by The Twilight Princess. Check out her art thread here!

The post was edited 1 time, last by TruEdge67 ().

Post by Guinea ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • I'm almost done with Far Cry Primal, and I'd like to record some of my overall thoughts about it. Spoilers ahead, if you care. I'll mostly ignore the historical, anthropological, and biological inaccuracies and anachronisms.

In general, I agree with what a lot of reviewers have said: this game needed more story. The main quest line is held together by only a few cutscenes, and the character quests often have only a perfunctory story.

For example, one part of the main quest is killing Ull, the leader of your Neanderthal (or Udam, as they are known in the game) rivals. As far as I can remember, he is barely mentioned or elaborated upon, and only appears once before the final battle with him. That one appearance kind of establishes why the Udam are hunting Wenja (your tribe of Homo sapiens) and that Ull has children he cares about, but it could have used a lot more leadup. For example, I had never really wondered why the Udam were hunting Wenja (partly because I was aware of speculation about real-world Neanderthal cannibalism, so it didn't seem unusual), and neither did any of the other Wenja characters. So when Ull revealed why they were doing it, it lacked impact. I think it should've been presented as a mystery to begin with.

As for the character quests, they aren't much better. For example, when you first meet Karoosh the Warrior, he tells you his son was killed by an Udam called Mog. This is never mentioned again until the last part of his story, when Karoosh spontaneously leaves the village to hunt down and kill Mog. Instead of having irrelevant missions in between those two points, Karoosh's entire story should have been focused on tracking down Mog.

The village quests get even less development. That's partly to be expected, but if they had been given more attention it would have helped the worldbuilding. None of the village quests have cutscenes, and they suffer for it. For instance, one quest involves collecting bioluminescent mushrooms for the first Wenja to be born in the village (so they will have a "strong spirit"). The mission could've used an opening cutscene showing celebrations (the Wenja are struggling to survive and build a home, and the first new birth should be an important event) and a closing one (perhaps showing the use of the mushrooms in some kind of ceremony). Instead, someone tells you to go get them the mushrooms, and when you get them they just take them and say "thanks".

I don't want to give the impression I don't like the game. I enjoyed the setting—there are few if any other games with a prehistoric setting that take it seriously. And sneaking around enemy camps and shooting guards in the head with a longbow is good fun. But it could have been a lot more. I'm not sorry I bought it, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Overall, 7.5 out of 10.

• Recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, only took about 110 hours and three weeks @_@
      It was fun though. The OST is one of the best I've ever heard - my favourite of the bunch has to be Satorl Marsh's night theme.

I'm thinking of going back to SMT IV to fight all the Fiends available on Neutral. And maybe fight the DLC bosses in IV/A.
      Flickr / Bandori / Banner's mine

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pyrax ().

• Pyrax wrote:

Recently completed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, only took about 110 hours and three weeks @_@
      It was fun though. The OST is one of the best I've ever heard - my favourite of the bunch has to be Satorl Marsh's night theme.

I'm thinking of going back to SMT IV to fight all the Fiends available on Neutral. And maybe fight the DLC bosses in IV/A.
      I should play Xenoblade again because I almost exclusively played as Shulk and Riki last time. They were just so fun I couldn't stop, haha.
      But man the ost is good. My personal favourites are the main theme, While I Think, Refugee Camp, Once We Part Ways, Zanza, Unfinished Battle, Shulk and Fiora, and every other song on the soundtrack lol.

I've been playing D&D 5e. I'm running a West Marches style game, where there are like 13 players and a consistent world full of smaller, self-contained adventures. It's really player driven, I can post bounties and rumors on our discord and players will be like "yo that's cool let's do that one, anyone playing a cleric?"

Later this week I'm running a session for 4 players at level 3. A wizard summons a beholder (spectator) to help him research arcane resurrection because he hates the gods but misses his late daughter, but eventually dies of old age. The beholder, having lost his only friend in the world, goes mad with grief and believes the bone golem he had created was his master's daughter, and guards it to the death. The players are looking for stolen gemstones on order from the victim's estate, with orders to ransack the place. I wonder if they will, or if they'll choose pity over greed. Either way it'll be great.
    • Far Cry Primal is complete. In an extremely weird decision, considering the game takes place over 12,000 years ago, the final battle is accompanied by a pop song with English lyrics. It is truly one of the strangest musical decisions I have ever encountered in a game.

I sat through the entire credits (which were like 15 minutes long), partly because I like to give the developers their due, but also because I wanted to see what the post-credits sequence was. I was hoping for something set in modern times with anthropologists investigating your village and remarking that you must have been quite a guy. Alas, it was just the Neanderthal kid you took from Ull demonstrating she has the same beast master powers you do.

Anyway, Dead Space is next. It'll be the first horror game I've ever played, unless you count Luigi's Mansion. I must admit, horror games don't seem that scary, but we'll see if my opinion changes once I've actually played one.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Vulpes ().

• I decided I wanted to try to beat every Zelda game, so late last night I started Link's Awakening and just this morning I started Oracle of Ages.

Only games I haven't beat:
      Link's Awakening
      Zelda 2
      Both Oracle games
      Spirit Tracks
      Phantom Hourglass
      BOTW (because I don't own a switch)
      "If there's one thing I've learned from video games, its that when you run into opposition, you're usually going the right way."

Watch my Legend of Zelda (NES) Let's Play!

:mastahsword:

Post by Bartimaeus Sex ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves: Double ().
    • Been level grinding in order to beat my rival in Silph Co. (and then Sabrina). I caught a Haunter and Onix to add to my team. I've been trying to use only Pokémon that I normally wouldn't, to make the randomization more genuine. Also, this randomizer makes trade evolutions evolve on their own at certain levels, and I believe I should have a Gengar, Machamp, and Steelix sometime around Lv 40.

Current team:

Kabuto Lv 33
      Haunter Lv 33
      Machoke Lv 34
      Jolteon Lv 34
      Onix Lv 35
      Ninetails Lv 35

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bartimaeus Sex ().