Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Nintendo
Nintendo's next hardware: the NX - The reveal actually happened!
  • FrozenDragon wrote:

I'm not concerned over them being handheld only, really. Mainly since the 7th and 8th generations have shown that handheld consoles can deliver a home console-like experience just fine (as in, games you'd expect to have on home consoles rather than handhelds) while having all the benefits of bein handhelds. So, if they pull out all the stops in terms of budget snd quality for games, they can definitely make better stuff than what current AAA companies do; even if it's on comparatively underpowered hardware.
    Problem is, I am primarily a home console gamer. If they cannot deliver an experience better than the experience on my WiiU, then what is the point in me getting it (other than the fact that all development has transferred over to it)? I don't want to get a new system because I feel I have to in order to play the next generation of Nintendo games, I want to be excited about that upgrade. I want to feel like I am moving from dvd to blu-ray because blu-ray is better, not hd-dvd to blu-ray because hd-dvd is obsolete.
    My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
  • FrozenDragon wrote:

I'm not concerned over them being handheld only, really. Mainly since the 7th and 8th generations have shown that handheld consoles can deliver a home console-like experience just fine (as in, games you'd expect to have on home consoles rather than handhelds) while having all the benefits of bein handhelds. So, if they pull out all the stops in terms of budget snd quality for games, they can definitely make better stuff than what current AAA companies do; even if it's on comparatively underpowered hardware.
    Not really, though... There aren't really any 3DS games that can stand their own against titans such as Fallout, GTA, Assassin's Creed, or any other good open world game out there. Xenoblade is the only one that offers that kind of experience, and it's just a rehash of the Wii game with even worse technical aspect.

And the problem is, on a portable console you really don't have the screen real estate necessary to fully appreciate an open world game, so even if they tried their hardest and made BotW incredible for a handheld game, it would still be just that, "incredible for a handheld game", still falling short of competition on the "big boy" consoles. Game will probably still be amazeballs but people aren't necessarily going to be impressed. For as much press as Zelda BotW got at E3, I don't see people discussing about it, like, ever, outside Nintendo fanboys such as us. PS4 XB1, PC players don't give a shit about BotW.
    "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• Castigear wrote:

FrozenDragon wrote:

Problem is, I am primarily a home console gamer. If they cannot deliver an experience better than the experience on my WiiU, then what is the point in me getting it (other than the fact that all development has transferred over to it)? I don't want to get a new system because I feel I have to in order to play the next generation of Nintendo games, I want to be excited about that upgrade. I want to feel like I am moving from dvd to blu-ray because blu-ray is better, not hd-dvd to blu-ray because hd-dvd is obsolete.
    Hmm, but better in which way? In terms of power and graphical capabilities, a handheld console could be equal or superior to a Wii U without sacrificing that much in price and battery... For a home console-like experience, my only bets are on a way to output into a TV, im which case you could see it as a better Wii U on a handheld form. IMO, it could be seen as them taking another direction, rather than going for the same but more powerful.

That said, there's really no way to fully circumvent the issue, it will be seen as a handheld mainly. But between that or losing millions on a home console that won't get many/good games, sacrifice has to be made :/

That, or going third-party fully and developing for other platforms, which I personally wouldn't like very much ;~;
  • For gamers, Nintendo going 3rd party would be the best possible outcome at this point.

People love Nintendo for their IP, their imaginative games. People hate Nintendo for their gimmicks. The problem is, for a Nintendo console to do well in the first place, it does need to be gimmicky, otherwise it's just plain worse than the competitor's as it offers nothing different and they can't compete on the specs race, since the other two can undercut them easily.

With that in mind, Nintendo is doomed to create gimmicky consoles, some of which might be successful, but sacrifices are made in the process. Maybe going 3rd party would just completely free them from their self imposed chains and they could start competing in the AAA space again, not the hardware one anymore, but the software one. Right now they are not competing on either.
  • FrozenDragon wrote:

Hmm, but better in which way? In terms of power and graphical capabilities, a handheld console could be equal or superior to a Wii U without sacrificing that much in price and battery... For a home console-like experience, my only bets are on a way to output into a TV, im which case you could see it as a better Wii U on a handheld form. IMO, it could be seen as them taking another direction, rather than going for the same but more powerful.
    You're right it could be equal or superior to a Wii U. My question is will it be.

The point I am making is that if it is a hybrid, for it to be successful, I think it needs to give people with ONLY a WiiU a reason to WANT it, people with ONLY a 3ds a reason to WANT it, and people with BOTH a reason to WANT it. Sadly that is going to be hard to do.

Of course, they have sold so few WiiU's that pretty much everyone who has one is a Nintendo diehard like me who will buy the next system regardless.
    My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
  • I agree with that line of thought; I want to be wowed by a new system, I want to admire the pretty graphics, the nice new features, etc. If it's going to be a portable Wii U, I doubt that's going to happen.
    100% | Finished | Now playing:
    TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
  • Maybe Nintendo's plan is to concentrate on their handhelds while they either take their time to catch up with Sony and Microsoft or wait for the console market to crash. If the console market crashes, Nintendo can save the day like they did in 1985.

Please Understand wrote:

for a Nintendo console to do well in the first place, it does need to be gimmicky
    I have my doubts as to if people care about specs that much. I'm 21 and all my friends play N64.
    Nobody talks about the dated graphics. This makes me think that most people don't care about specs.
    "The (Star Wars) EU is a bloated, wretched mess."
    - Jedi Master Sagan
  • Midoro wrote:

The hell are you talking about.

Nintendo was only technically competent and on par during the NES and SNES days.
    The hell are YOU talking about, more like it.

N64 was significantly more powerful than PS1.
    Gamecube was quite a bit more powerful than PS2.

It was only starting with the Wii that they dropped off.

Their games follow the same path as well, it's not just their hardware.

Get your facts straight before arguing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• Ganon Vader wrote:

Maybe Nintendo's plan is to concentrate on their handhelds while they either take their time to catch up with Sony and Microsoft or wait for the console market to crash. If the console market crashes, Nintendo can save the day like they did in 1985.
    *facepalm* You know the reason why the console market imploded in the back then? It was because companies kept making trash games that they would make in a week or two for a full product. There's absolutely no reason for a console market crash. Gaming, and especially the home console market is the biggest entertainment industry right now. And Nintendo has issues saving itself at the moment, let alone the industry.

Ganon Vader wrote:

Ganon Vader wrote:

I have my doubts as to if people care about specs that much. I'm 21 and all my friends play N64.
    Nobody talks about the dated graphics. This makes me think that most people don't care about specs.
    Let's just say your friends are not the norm... :rolleyes:
  • Yes, the same Nintendo 64 that decided to stick with cartridges, just one of the many reasons why so many once faithful third-party developers migrated over to the PS1 (or alternately, a tiny few to the Saturn) and why third-party relations still haven't improved, among other causes. Let's not forget the 64 DD, Nintendo's equivalent to the Sega CD and how it faired even worse when it was dropped so quickly and never even made it out east-side.

Yes, the same Gamecube that, by the time of its release, was already quite outdated; when the Sega Dreamcast and PS2 had online features and the PS2 a little more than that.

Post by Please Understand ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: No ().

Post by Please Understand ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Phrase your posts without flaming and I won't delete it. I'll be PMing you shortly. ().
  • N64 had the best graphics for its time - fact.
    GameCube was more powerful than the leading console and internet play wasn't relevant until the previous gen.

People are always trying to find excuses for Nintendo by belittling their glorious past for some reason. Really sad.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ty. ().

• I'd say, in the broad video game market:

NES-SNES: Beyond competition
    N64-NGC: Technically very competent, but held back (in the sense that it they didn't get the significant third party support) due to some silly decisions
    Wii - Wii U: Not technically competent. Relying purely on exclusives

Is there even a debate about this?

And yeah, to think that Nintendo is holding off for an industry crash is absolutely ridiculous.
  • Mod Note

I'm going to be very clear here. I'm not going to tolerate any flaming, tomfoolery, bickering, spam, trolling, etc.

This thread seems to need stricter moderation. So that's what it's going to get.

There's no reason for talks about this to get so hostile. This is the absolute final warning for this thread. If I see anymore of this hostility, or any other rule breaking, it will be met with moderation action.

If anyone takes issue with this, you will speak to me or an admin privately
  • Dutch news sites are sometimes posting NX rumors. It always seems to be the bad rumors, like that recent one saying the NX would cost $300.

It's pretty sad that we're halfway October and we still don't have any clue when Nintendo will tell us more. It's really hurting them, because the general public is now eating up bad rumors. Who knows what they will believe in the coming months.
    100% | Finished | Now playing:
    TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW