Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Nintendo
Nintendo's next hardware: the NX - The reveal actually happened!

Post by Please Understand ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Wall ().
  • Mod Note

I'm going to reiterate for emPHASIS.

I'm all for fun and messing around, but a page of innuendo and nothing but gifs and memes is a little too much. I like to keep it lax in here, but you guys gotta throw me a bone here and not let it get too out of hand, or else this will end up needing to be the no fun zone, which I would like to avoid! Haha.

If I ask for the thread to return to being a bit more on topic, I'd appreciate not having a bunch of memes posted immediate after that!

The ribbing is in good fun, but I wouldn't even be able to reply with more memes because I'd be going against my own note! That is madness! Haha. Just do it in PM or a wall post so the thread doesn't get too out of hand.

Thanks!

I'll re open this in a bit once everyone sees this.

Post by sublime1996525 ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Spam ().

Post by JayCee ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Off topic! ().

Post by Mercedes ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Let's stop it before it becomes twitch chat! ().

Post by sublime1996525 ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Off topic ().

Post by JayCee ().

This post was deleted by Ty.: Off topic! ().
  • If Nintendo delays the NX (remember, this would be the 2nd delay of it), it means they've learned nothing and I have no reason to trust them for delivering quality content on the platform in a timely manner. Sure, "a delayed game is eventually good", but when you have little 3rd party support and you are drip-fed games, you don't have many alternatives.
    "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• If it is going to be a hybrid though, there will be no split. Nintendo will have time working on games for the one console instead of having to split their efforts between two devices as before, and the handheld third-party support will still be there. I recall the 3DS also having a similar situation at launch where everything was slow and there were too little games, and it was only until Nintendo invested more into it that it took off. Clearly handhelds are the priority for Nintendo, and it's easy to see why.

I've always preferred Nintendo's handhelds anyway, most of the games I play are on handhelds. I probably won't even use the NX for the console aspect, it'll just be a glorified handheld to me. And that's fine, because I'll get it solely to play the handheld games I enjoy.
  • Midoro wrote:

If it is going to be a hybrid though, there will be no split. Nintendo will have time working on games for the one console instead of having to split their efforts between two devices as before, and the handheld third-party support will still be there. I recall the 3DS also having a similar situation at launch where everything was slow and there were too little games, and it was only until Nintendo invested more into it that it took off. Clearly handhelds are the priority for Nintendo, and it's easy to see why.

I've always preferred Nintendo's handhelds anyway, most of the games I play are on handhelds. I probably won't even use the NX for the console aspect, it'll just be a glorified handheld to me. And that's fine, because I'll get it solely to play the handheld games I enjoy.
    While I completely agree with you; what PU is getting at is the company's actions and mindset. It means we couldn't really trust them to full dedicate themselves to their games and consumers.
  • The problem with a 'handheld' device (regardless of if it can be plugged on TV or not) is that it means Nintendo is abandoning the home console market, potentially for good. While I might have enjoyed my 3DS far more than my Wii U, and pretty much everyone that owns both has, to be honest, that's simply because the Wii U didn't really have much going for it. The only game I was super excited about was Xenoblade Chronicles X and that turned out disappointing, then Zelda BotW I don't even count as a Wii U game because I'll play it on NX.

What I'm getting at is that it's a shame that the NX being a handheld means that we will never get all our favorite Nintendo franchises in the AAA form they deserve. It's disappointing. I want Nintendo to go back to the days when they would have some of the best games on the market, not because of "fun gameplay" but also because they were technically competent and on par with the competition, if not better. The "Nintendo magic" is good and all but it's a waste that it will never reach its potential because it's throttled by weak systems.
    "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
  • I am now wondering if there will be two types of games...obviously all games will be compatible with all modes, but clearly BotW will be mostly designed with home gaming in mind, and then you may have games such as a port of Sun and Moon or YoKai 3 that will be more geared towards on the go. Whatever they do, I hope they market it well, and carefully. The way they present it to the general public could be its saving grace, or its downfall.
    My philosophy on the timeline now is the same as Winston Churchill’s:

“It is a mistake to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one Link at a time.”
  • I'm not concerned over them being handheld only, really. Mainly since the 7th and 8th generations have shown that handheld consoles can deliver a home console-like experience just fine (as in, games you'd expect to have on home consoles rather than handhelds) while having all the benefits of bein handhelds. So, if they pull out all the stops in terms of budget snd quality for games, they can definitely make better stuff than what current AAA companies do; even if it's on comparatively underpowered hardware.