Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
ZU is now on shiny new servers
  • Linkle wrote:

AzureCobra wrote:

Thank God above! I thought I was the only one who was getting this. Takes Forever to do anything!

Somebody better fix this soon, or I'm leaving to Zelda Dungeon.

Have some patience with them, Azure. It's not usually this way. Besides, Zelda Dungeon is not a place worth going to.

I second everything Linkle said, but the final note about ZD is not something to really expand upon, just stay put and live with it like the rest of us. This is taking quite some time, but all we can do is be patient with the Technical Division, sometimes new issues arise while they try to fix something else even, which I feel may possibly be why stuff has been this sluggish as of late. It'll get fixed when it gets fixed, the team at work are here working as diligently as possible for the entirety of ZU, so as troublesome as it may be, being unreasonable won't do much and they will take care of everything at whatever pace is possible for them.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Lord Vain ().

• This forum should be renamed "Fatal error: An error occured. Sorry."

What's the deal? It's no exaggeration to say that I've gotten some kind of error on this site every time I've visited since it moved to this new host back a year or so ago. It's pretty nuts and very frustrating when I'm lucky to be able to access the forum.

More specifically, I can't "unlike" posts. Sometimes I mean to quote a post, but I hit the wrong icon and like it. When I go to unlike it, I get the classic "Fatal error: An error occured. Sorry." message, and I'm kicked off the website for about a minute. I been getting this specific error for about a week now, since the ZU switched to... shiny, new servers.
  • Why is ZU so horribly non-responsive and slow? For supposedly being on new servers, I would expect better speeds than what I'm getting. I could understand it being slow the first few days, but this is almost a month in, and it's still pretty much a daily occurrence of extremely slow page loading.

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="4"]
    Hosting a vanilla server at: direct.kylemc.net
    Dynmap at: kylemc.net/map[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • ERROR372 wrote:

Why is ZU so horribly non-responsive and slow? For supposedly being on new servers, I would expect better speeds than what I'm getting. I could understand it being slow the first few days, but this is almost a month in, and it's still pretty much a daily occurrence of extremely slow page loading.

Ikr, it took me an hour to get into the forums without the website crashing.
    Lightning is a brilliant force, but a dangerous one. Don't mess with it.
  • ERROR372 wrote:

Why is ZU so horribly non-responsive and slow? For supposedly being on new servers, I would expect better speeds than what I'm getting. I could understand it being slow the first few days, but this is almost a month in, and it's still pretty much a daily occurrence of extremely slow page loading.

There's a simple explanation, actually! Our new servers were a rush job due to the attacks, so in the interests of time we did not install a caching system for the first release. However, we are actually doing that right now. Over the next few hours you should notice the site returning to what you'd consider normal, acceptable speeds.

We'll be optimizing the cache over the next day or two, but you should already notice substantial speed improvements across the board, with the added benefit of fixing a LOT of errors that were related to things simply taking too long to load.

Installing the cache was originally the lowest on our priority list, due to more urgent bugs, but when we found that the slowness was the root cause of a lot of issues, we bumped it up. Now, onto the rest of 'em!
  • The issues have been a combination of things, honestly. ZU's been around for a very long time, and software does eventually start to break down when you feed tons and tons of data into it, change the environment, etc etc. But y'know, despite the hours of sleep I've lost over this, I'm happy we still have something that's at least usable. It could be so much worse. Plus, I am noticing some improvements in performance and loading speeds since I set up the caching stuff. It might not be perfect, but we're at least getting there.
    (former) Technical administrator and developer for Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki.
    Want to know more about ZW? Read up!
  • Yay, we're all speedy again :D. I have a minor nitpick to mention (I hope it's ok to put it here):

When I copy a post from another forum (as I tend to do in order to update the LP thread), the post tends to come through in an odd paragraph format. I'm not sure how to describe other than to copy/paste this and show through example.

e.g. When I copy a post from another forum
    (as I tend to do in order to update the LP thread),
    the post tends to come through in an odd paragraph format.
    I'm not sure how to describe other than to copy/paste this
    and show through example.

Also, the colours tend to vanish from my text, though I'm assuming that's due to different codes being used in order to apply text colours.
  • @greenyxi: Sounds like a typical formatting issue with browsers. A lot of times when you copy something, you unfortunately are copying the style associated with it. Usually it works out just fine, but in WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editors, the style becomes a pain. I know Chrome has the ability to ctrl+shift+v (or command+shift+v for you Mac users) to post as plain text with no style information associated. If you use Chrome, there you go. If not, check to see if your browser of choice has it built in.

EDIT: Thanks, @momo! Always lifts my spirits to hear appreciation! :)
    (former) Technical administrator and developer for Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki.
    Want to know more about ZW? Read up!
  • @greenyxi When in the post function, at the top left of the editor there is a button labelled "source." Select it and then paste. Press it again to go back to the regular function. It will have pasted properly.

“Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. "There never was much hope," he answered. "Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

• Hey, everyone! I just launched the all-new dev diaries thread. You can find it here: Dev Diary: What we're working on, straight from the developers

That thread is going to be our new channel of communication and updates. So feel free to make new threads about specific issues you're encountering, and we'll talk about them there and get them fixed. If you see your issue in the list in that thread, you know we're on it.

Cheers guys :D