Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    A Less Data Heavy Skin?
    • Why is there a poll here? 16

The result is only visible to the participants.

Alright, so I browse using my phone as a mobile hotspot. I live out in the boondocks at the moment, so all I have is a slow, very, very, slow satellite connection. I use my phone for a lot of things. I can even play FFXIV for hours on it without issue. In fact, a 8 hour session in FFXIV using my phone as a hotspot is only around 300mb. The problem is when I use this site using my phone as a hotspot, I can hit that same 300mb in mere minutes.

Now, I've taken quite a few precautions. Smiles have to go, I have signatures deactivated, etc. Anything that's optional is turned off. It's not great, but it works. Now it's not as much, but it's still a lot to load up though. On this site I use more data than on most others.

I was wondering if there are any plans to make a less "heavy" skin for the site in the future. Because as it stands, I can either use satellite and have the site boot up abysmally slow, or I can use my phone and tear through more data than my fat-ass tears through Chinese food.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Alyss ().

• I have to admit I've run through some... strange, problems when it comes to the mobile site. Ever since I started using ZU mobile (oftentimes to check up on a currently running mafia game) my phone's browser (Safari on an Apple 4S) has been acting nothing if not odd. It'll have what I can only call a buildup of lag - the more I browse ZU the laggier it gets (which actually affects me typing posts up on mobile as the keys are extremely slow to respond to my touch) until my own browser decides to kick me out and close or crash.

It has never happened to my phone in its browsing history until I started using ZU mobile, so it's extremely likely that ZU is the cause of the problem. And I listen to 15 minute songs using Youtube using my browser, so, yeah.
    • I have also seen both sides of this; browsing the site on my phone, and browsing on my laptop using my phone's data. I have noticed that my phone bill has increased a few times when using the hotspot repeatedly (and mainly for ZU) and even while it's quick to load outside of the forum, within ZU things often load at the speed of a Xerox printer from the 80s.
    • Even on desktop with a good internet connection (ethernet) it can be pretty slow and clunky. Just loading this thread generated like 73 requests, 33 of which were for javascript. I've noticed a lot of things are inefficient, like for example, the headers of forums ("mastheads"):

That image is not actually that size, it's this: zeldauniverse.net/forums/image…Community/Advertising.png

That's a nearly 4MB image. The average size for these seems to be about 2.5MBs, which is massive. Most web graphics are like, maybe 200-300 KB. The forum background for example, is about 160KB.

The effect is probably marginal in most cases, but I've also noticed there's a shit ton of CSS files being loaded all the time.
    • YOWCH. That's pretty bad... We'll definitely have to look into alternatives. Sucking up 300MB of data in minutes for a piece of forum software is practically blasphemy.

EDIT: For the record, my high speed data limit is 2GB/month. It took almost a full month of using YouTube for music back when I worked at McDonalds to fill that up. That's why this is a pretty big deal.
      (former) Technical administrator and developer for Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki.
      Want to know more about ZW? Read up!
    • Spagh wrote:

I've been discussing this with the head of the development team and we should hopefully see some changes made soon, though unfortunately I can't say for certain how long right now. We'll keep you posted!

Swiggity swag. I appreciate the quick response. Hope to hear some more from you guys in the future! =D

Justin ZW wrote:

YOWCH. That's pretty bad... We'll definitely have to look into alternatives. Sucking up 300MB of data in minutes for a piece of forum software is practically blasphemy.

EDIT: For the record, my high speed data limit is 2GB/month. It took almost a full month of using YouTube for music back when I worked at McDonalds to fill that up. That's why this is a pretty big deal.

I have a 17gb a month plan. (I'm away a lot.) And I normally use mine for FFXIV and some silly things here and there, and I try to limit it to about 300mb a day, which actually works out pretty well. Though when I saw I hit that in less than half an hour on the site it blew my mind. Hopefully everything works out better in the end.
    • Though I never ran a test, I noticed very long load times when browsing desktop ZU at home on a 0.5 mbps connection. Yes, that is a painfully slow speed, but even it should be enough to browse around fairly quickly. Instead the load times would take several minutes for pages to load (and this is with pages already cached, can't imagine what would happen if the cache was cleared), which should not happen unless I'm looking at something image heavy like the scrapbook.

On the mobile skin I noticed that after viewing a few threads (nothing image heavy either ) used about 3 MB of data. This leveled off a bit after viewing more threads, but it still uses a very large amount of data for what should be loading mostly text, since ZU has long been cached on my phone.
    • Viajero de la Galaxia wrote:

Though I never ran a test, I noticed very long load times when browsing desktop ZU at home on a 0.5 mbps connection. Yes, that is a painfully slow speed, but even it should be enough to browse around fairly quickly. Instead the load times would take several minutes for pages to load (and this is with pages already cached, can't imagine what would happen if the cache was cleared), which should not happen unless I'm looking at something image heavy like the scrapbook.

On the mobile skin I noticed that after viewing a few threads (nothing image heavy either ) used about 3 MB of data. This leveled off a bit after viewing more threads, but it still uses a very large amount of data for what should be loading mostly text, since ZU has long been cached on my phone.

Yeah. I have no issues browsing other simplistic forums (even the old dark green forum skin), but trying to browse ZU from a slow mobile connection is a pain, not to mention it tends to shove old tabs out of memory on my phone much faster than other websites. Yeah, it isn't pretty, but it seems to be what we have.