Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Mafia XIV - War of the Gods

• You've gathered in the great halls on top of Mount Olympus. You expected this day to be no different than any other. The usual squabbling, fighting, and disagreements. Maybe smite a mortal or two. But no.

Laying in the center of the hall is a woman you all recognize. She lays there motionless with her husband standing over her. By the look in his eye you know that this was no accident.

No, she has been murdered.

She was Hera, a Townie, and the wife of Zeus.

But who would dare kill the ruler of Olympia's wife?

Rules:

You may not directly quote or screencap anything I, the GM, tell you in private. Doing so will result in punishment, likely in a mod kill depending on how severe I believe the offense to be.

Remain active. If you do not post in the game thread for an entire day without letting us know in the hub thread, you will be modkilled or replaced at the beginning of the following day (if any backups are left).

You're free to edit posts for spelling and grammar, or to add information at the end of the post (clearly mark where your edit begins), but you may not edit the content. If you slipped up and said something you didn't want to then it must remain. To correct yourself you must post again.

Do not use fake tags. If you see a tag used, i.e. [wordswords]wordy[/wordswords] then refrain from posting. I will come as soon as I can to resolve the tag.

To vote, you must use voting tags. That would be [vote]Jaime Lannister[/vote]. If you wish to switch votes please use an unvote tag, [unvote]Jaime Lannister[/unvote] before changing your vote. A vote for No Lynch is its own vote; refraining from posting a vote at all counts as a vote for yourself.

Player List/Dead List

Serious Game Spoilers
    1. Silver - Lachesis, a Mason (Killed Night 6)
    2. Shayface - Atropos, a Mason (Killed Night 1)
    3. Rana
    4. Foo
    5. Kay Faraday
    6. Diego - Dionysus, a Jack Of All Trades (Modkilled Day 4)
    7. Cody - Anubis, a Jailkeeper (Killed Night 1)
    8. Luka - Kratos, the Godslayer (Won Night 4)
    9. ♬Nafchacho♬ - Hades, a Roleblocker (Killed Night 3)
    10. Ruki - Ares, a Day Vigilante (Killed Night 7)
    11. Keith - Thor, a One-shot Gladiato/Lightning Rod Maker (Killed Night 2)
    12. Pennington - Zeus, a Cop (Killed Night 2)
    13. The Missing Link - Heracles, a 1-shot Bulletproof Townie (Killed Night 3)
    14. Sabbo - Ra, the Sun God (Lynched Day 4)
    15. Argenteus
    16. Rambo - Mimir, a 1-shot Janitor (Day-killed Day 1)
    17. Saru - Loki, a Two-shot Death Framer (Day-killed Day 3)
    18. Shona - Jesus the Messiah (Lynched Day 7)
    19. English - Artemis, a Tracker (Lynched Day 1)
    20. Interestingdrug - Aphrodite, a Two-shot Mirror (Killed Night 4)
    21. NeonGreenSheep - Prometheus, a Watcher (Killed Night 2)
    John - Odin, the Allfather (Lynched Day 6)
    23. Leo_
    24. Double A - Neptune, a Lyncher/Neighbor (Day-killed Day 7)
    25. Cosima Niehaus - Athena, a Doctor (Killed Night 4)
    26. Kasutony - Oracle of Delphi (Lynched Day 3)
    27. Jehanne
    28. Sam Nornal - Shezmu, an Even-numbered Night Vigilante (Lynched Day 2)

Good luck! Once again, if you have questions pertaining to your role, please send them to your role PM conversation. That is also where you should send your night actions.

Beginning of the days:

Day 2 begins here

Day 3 begins here

Day 4 begins here

Day 6 begins here

Day 7 begins here

Day 8 begins here

Sig by Malia

The post was edited 26 times, last by Foo ().

• Public Service Announcement One
    Late Arrivals

Got here late to find 200 posts of backlog? Don't panic! Mafia is always going to be a stressful experience, but feeling like you need to read through 10 pages of content in 10 minutes shouldn't be part of that stress. It's always reasonable to jump to the end of the thread and let us know you're here and will get through the extra posts on your own time: your co-players will all understand, I promise :P

If you want a quick catch-up, the running headlines link in my signature may be a good place to start. When you do get time to read through the thread, take the time to read actively and even make notes for yourself. Whatever tools it takes to keep you from feeling like your drowning in information benefit us all.

Have an excellent time!
    ---

God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day

Hey people!

Stoked to be here for another game of Mafia, especially with a lot of new faces. It sounds like Jaime's got a really cool set-up for us, and given that town has lost three of the last four I'm pretty excited to start puzzling it out.

I make these opening posts to inform new players and remind vets of the little incidentals of Mafia. Little things that are important to know but aren't strictly stated in the rules. Cody will probably tell you that this is an attempt to frame the game on my own terms – and he's certainly right about that – but this isn't about gaining advantage as town or scum: it's about creating the sort of environment that promotes the exciting, dynamic, and skilful sort of Mafia that I like to play.

As I tried to communicate to the newbies in the last game, nothing is more important in Mafia than having a plan:

I heartily recommend that everyone - town, scum, third party, whoever you might be - set a goal for yourself today. That can be something as simple as the vanilla townie's "stay alive" and as complex as the mafia usurpers "lynch the Godfather to gain his powers ASAP". Some roles - like cop and vig - want to spend the day trying to draw the eye of the doctor. Others - like PGO and Hider - want to do whatever they can to set the doctor looking some other way. The doctor wants to pay attention to these sorts of signals... but so does a mafia goon.

I have a reputation around here for being "the guy with the plan", but the honest truth is that no one wins a game of mafia without setting goals and working to achieve them. Once you've decided what you want out of this game, day one becomes a whole lot less mysterious.

Whatever goal you set, staying alive is going to be a big part of seeing it through. We will end day one by lynching the player whom we think will be least helpful to the town. There is a very small chance that that will be a scum player who makes a critical mistake, but far more likely it will be a player who shows themselves incapable or unwilling to cooperate with the town's good intent. If the principle goal is survival, the best way to achieve that goal is by playing “pro-town”.

What does that look like?

1) Be active. Make productive posts and be visible but don't weigh down the thread. Even if you feel like you don't have much to contribute, it's critical to your survival to find a way to make your presence felt without trying everyone's patience.

2) Don't give up on trust and teamwork. You don't have to trust anyone in particular, but you do need to try to work together with the town as a whole or you're ultimately supporting the scum.

3) Pre-commit yourself, verbally, to reactive play. Your wagons are less likely to be seen as hiding a bias or a bus when you give fair warning.

4) Don't vote “randomly” without a sufficient display of rigor

5) Don't claim positive-utility passive roles, like bulletproof or paranoid gun owner. Ever. Only scum have reason to make these claims.

6) When it is clear that one of two people must be mafia, make your vote and shut up. If you keep talk and analysis to an absolute minimum the worst that can happen is that town trades for scum 1-for-1. Half the time you do a lot better. If you get pressured into talking it out, the town can lose the game on the spot.

7) Understand your role and its position in the town. Don't be afraid to check the wiki, re-read past games, or even seek out advice from non-players (with the GM's permission obviously).

8) Recognize that Mafia is anti-inductive

9)Keep us notified of your absences and try to be present for the day's end

10)Lynch all Liars

11)Have fun!

---
    Public Service Announcement Two
    Role PM stuff

In Jaime's last game my role gave me the ability to work with flavour in order to set up various bread-crumb trails and tactics. Given my role here, I don't think it likely that I'll have the same sorts of opportunities, and so I'm intending to be a lot less coy with extra information than I was with GoT's companions.

To that end, I don't see a reason not to mention that my role-PM makes... let's say “allusions” to a “trickster” deity within the coalition of enemy gods with an alternate win-con. I don't expect there to be any incentive for this party to work with the town – not after table in V or AvaLiah in X – but I figure that if there's supposed to be a little intra-scum intrigue in this game it's better for the town that it begins as soon as possible, so why not get it out there...
    ---

Placeholding:
    [vote]No Lynch[/vote]

Display Spoiler
    (Heavier than my usual selections, but it felt right. CanCon too!

~~~
    Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
    ~~~

boxes is the best human and I am going to get her a kitten or 2 kittens

The post was edited 5 times, last by Foo ().

• OK well to get my usual stuff out of the way:

I am a townie.
    I am not a townie.

If there are any Lie Detectors in the game, feel free to test either (or both) of those statements.

Foo, would you care to also make those statements? (at time of starting to write this, Foo is the only other player to have posted - anyone who posts, I would ask that you also make those statements).

While we wait for people to check in, what roles do we think are in the game? It seems fairly likely that there will be Lovers.
    Also, assuming Jaime has included the main deities of the Greek pantheon, I would consider that to be:
    • Zeus
    • Poseidon
    • Hades
    • Hera (deceased)
    • Hestia
    • Demeter
    • Athena
    • Ares
    • Hermes
    • Hephaestus
    • Apollo
    • Artemis
    • Hebe
    • Eris
    ​I would consider this the main pantheon. Lesser figures but ones that seem likely to be included are Pan, Prometheus and Dionysus. Anyone else care to speculate?
  • Checking in real quick here. Super excited for what this game has in store! I'll be back in a few hours to make a comprehensive opening post!
    "Time passes, people move.... Like a rivers flow, it never ends... A childish mind will turn to noble ambition... Young love will become deep affection... The clear water's surface reflects growth..."

Saving a link here: Mafia XI: Ace Attorney -- Night Four: Serial Killers and Serial Gamblers.

"you came up with the idea, so youre the genius here"
    ~Malia

"F*** you, you ain't no Barnes. Yousa scrub, honey."
  • I'm here, and I'm pre-committing myself. If I don't have any solid information to go by, I wait for a bandwagon. If I agree with the bandwagon, I jump on, otherwise I abstain from voting.
    Most of the time I'm probably gonna abstain since the rest of you are probably better at making decisions than I am, or at least more confident in your decisions.
  • The fault, dear Leo, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.
    I am not town.
    This, above all - to thine own self be true.
    I am town.
    ~~~
    Although postsocratics like St. Augustine and Judith Butler explored a diverse set of ethical and metaphysical ideas, their unifying feature as a movement was a principled refusal to speculate upon which of the four elements the world was made out of.
    ~~~

• Foo if that Shakespeare quote is breadcrumbing for a roleclaim later I'm just gonna say that I don't give a shit about breadcrumbs since it would be a simple matter to hide different breadcrumbs in different posts and then "reveal" the meaning behind whichever one is convenient later. I put no stock in breadcrumbs.
  • Jaime Lannister wrote:

She was Hera, a Townie, and the wife of Zeus.

But who would dare kill the ruler of Olympia's wife?

As a mythology buff I just wanted to respond to this and say literally everyone, because Hera screwed up a ton of people becuase of Zeus's infidelity and her own jealousy, so it wasn't "who dared" it is "who actually pulled it off", but I digress. (Love you Jaime!)

I'm subbing for now, I have to go for a while. I recommend that we don't lynch day one and have a watcher watch Leo.
    Property of Team Valor
    3DS Friend Code: 4141-3440-1639
  • I would recommend that if we have a Watcher they watch whosoever seems like a good choice to them. Last game, Double A suggested that the cop should investigate EmDi, knowing that the as a Godfather, she'd come out smelling of roses. I am skeptical of people who suggest actions for other people to do, especially when Day 1 has just begun and there's no real information to base the decision on. What are you after?

Leo's new shitlist:
    NeonGreenSheep
  • You wound me sir!

But, more importantly, there seems to be a false impression of what "breadcrumbing" is, especially after last game. The goal is not to leave some sort of soft-claim clue that you can go back to and point out later on - at least, that's not something I've ever done or encouraged - the goal is to leave a message which communicates information you're afraid to make public at present but would like to be known after your death. A mason breadcrumbing the names of his allies or the cop the result of her investigations - these are valid game moves. Hidden soft claims are, as you say, pointless.
    ~~~
    ~~~