Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes Discussion *Spoilers*
    • There's no thread of this yet?!

I've seen a lot of negative reactions here, but I actually like the game. I had been looking forward to another multiplayer Zelda game... and this one is even online. Oh and it's still possible to play it single player.

So it's made in the ALBW engine, it's out in 'fall 2015', so that's pretty fast. Remember it's still unfinished and they only showed 1 or 2 dungeons. The weapons look like they'll have a bunch of functionalities.
      Different costumes will give Link special abilities. Zelda's dress makes more hearts show up. There is a costume that makes Link more of a tank, taking less damage. There's a costume that looks like the one of Robin Hood, so it might boost arrow damage. With some clever thinking, you change your gameplay based on your costume.

The nice thing was that Tourian Tourist and me had been mentioning a new multiplayer Zelda in a video just a week ago. He had a hunch this game was happening, so obviously we were extra excited. :looney:
      Here's our live reaction video.

We're going to have SO much fun playing this game online all the time! Let's hope it'll have shadow battles like in FSA.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 2 times, last by Canyarion ().

• Nintendo needs more single-player epics so they turn they two most cherished single player experiences into multiplayer co-op games (Zelda and Metroid). I think this is a neat idea for a side game, but ALBW deserves a worthy, single player follow up,

With that said, it's the only new game shown off that I have any interest in.
    • Who cares about "canon" anymore? Afer Hyrule Historia came out everything seems pretty unimportant. I mean, I never counted the FS games, or the Oracle games anyway. Who cares? Zelda clearly doesn't really follow any sort of timeline except for the bigger games that need to rely on past games for that nostalgic feel, like how WW referenced OoT to make you feel the importance of certain items, places, and characters. I'm honestly hoping they drop the whole timeline thing in the future and just focus on creating unique games that maybe reference past games, but don't necessarily expect us to believe that the same exact thing keeps happening every few hundred years or so. It was fun for a while, but its kinda getting stale...

Anyway, I think the game could be pretty fun. I'm glad its online, so I can play with my friends in other states, if I end up getting it (I'm sure I will).

I do kinda wish they would leave the WW design in the past though. I'm sick of it popping up. And yeah, I do kinda wish they had created another ALBW-esque single player game. But I'd also be fine saving it for whatever the next handheld is, or once more people are using the New 3DS. I'm sure they could do more with it.
    • eiyuu_004 wrote:

Who cares about "canon" anymore? Afer Hyrule Historia came out everything seems pretty unimportant. I mean, I never counted the FS games, or the Oracle games anyway. Who cares? Zelda clearly doesn't really follow any sort of timeline except for the bigger games that need to rely on past games for that nostalgic feel, like how WW referenced OoT to make you feel the importance of certain items, places, and characters. I'm honestly hoping they drop the whole timeline thing in the future and just focus on creating unique games that maybe reference past games, but don't necessarily expect us to believe that the same exact thing keeps happening every few hundred years or so. It was fun for a while, but its kinda getting stale...

I care about canon :( I love the way the games are pierced together, even if they originally weren't meant to be. I think it really gives the games (and the whole franchise) depth. You know, the experience of zelda-games are really up to the player...

The post was edited 2 times, last by Miss Mojo ().

• Why wouldn't it be canon? From what they've told, it's a land outside Hyrule that needs a hero. Multiple people show up...

It might not be related to Hyrule, the princess or Link... but it can still be canon. And knowing Nintendo, they'll find a way to connect it with the 'main' story. :) I'm not worried.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • It looks sort of okay, I guess. Nothing super exciting, but I'll definitely grab this at some point, preferably a little lower than RRP. I might get more hyped if we learn more stuff about it. I like the cosplay idea, it's kinda cute. Not so sure about the stacking stuff, seems a little tedious.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Please Understand ().

• I would care about "Zelda canon" if they had actually tried to make it interesting, but since they only cared about the connections between certain games [(originally ALttP-OoT) OoT-MM-TP, and OoT-WW-PH-ST], and the rest were just lazily thrown in later to appease fans, there isn't really a way to take it seriously.

I'd be ok with a reboot based on some of the older games, with changes to make it work better. But I feel like trying to piece together all of the games is pretty much a lost cause, and can't even be done without throwing out timelines that don't make sense (Link dying in one for instance, which completely takes away any relevance to the actual OoT split that was caused by Zelda sending Link back in time, something I could get behind). The "Downfall Timeline" is basically where they made it so none of it matters anymore, since anything they throw out now could just be a branch off of some other timeline, at literally any point, since they are making "what if" scenarios vaild... The timeline is a joke. And so is theorizing for that matter. They clearly don't put as much thought into this stuff as we do. If a movie or serious TV series were to be announced, then theorizing, lore, and timeline placements would become relevant, because there would have to be a lot of decisions made as to what is canon according to the new form of media. There would basically be a "reset" and things that are liked/disliked about what we have so far would be debated over, etc
    • I'm gonna be real blunt and say I think it looks like crap. I would have rather had nothing, just because I cherish the Zelda brand so dearly and relate it to pure quality. This just lowers the bar a bit more.
      This is coming from a guy that considers the Four Swords games to be the worst of the series. I do think if FS is your jam, you'll like this. It's just completely not for me.

TBH I think Metal Gear Solid and Fire Emblem are some of the few franchises that originate from 2D NES (or MSX) days and still are pure quality today. I'm debating if Zelda is still one. Anybody know others? I think Metroid has fallen from grace with Other M and this next title. Which I completely blame Nintendo for, for simply not caring and not giving it the proper treatment it deserves.

The post was edited 1 time, last by john_marston ().

• Nah, man, I really wouldn't go that far. I mean, if Zelda U comes out and it's crap, then I would fully admit that the series has fallen from grace drastically, but this game is more of a spin off fun title, not really the definitive Zelda experience or anything. I mean, sure, Zelda is not the pioneer series it was until Wind Waker, but at the quality has been consistently at least decent, there hasn't been a game that is really bad yet.
      "Can't post that on a Christian forum."
    • ^ The way I see it, its more of a spinoff game. Actual Zelda games are still pretty good quality. I've never played Metal Gear though, and definitely haven't played Fire Emblem as I can't stand turn-based RPGs (other than Pokemon anyway, that one I can still enjoy)

And I do agree. Not too long ago, when I was more serious about all of this, I would have been horrified by this reveal. I think its... ok. Still not really excited about it, not til I know more I guess...

I do think the series could use a reboot. The Legend of Zelda has so much potential to be a serious game franchise that is respected all over. I have absolutely no doubt that Zelda Wii U will be pretty incredible, and I honestly hope that it serves as a sort of reboot for the series. I seriously doubt it, but maybe that's why they are taking so long to make sure not to reveal too much about it. Maybe it would be way too much of a shock right now. But if they are going to reboot the series, I feel like the series' 30th anniversary would be a good time to do so... not that its happening.
    • I think you're letting your point of view judge the concept of a timeline a bit too much. Even after the first game came out, the creators have been making connections with later games, regardless of what the fans believed. Just because the 'Adult timeline' seems to follow a straight order doesn't mean they didn't try to make the other ones interesting as well. Trying to fit all those separate games together has to be really hard, considering the limited information we were given at that time. But calling the timeline and theorizing a joke is not cool. No one puts as much thought into the Zelda-franchise as the creators does, and all of the timelines matters just as much. Just because Link did something in another timeline doesn't mean his actions were meaningless.
    • Some notes about the game folks may have missed
      • It mentions needing a broadband connection for online play, so there's definitely going to be some form of online capabilities, most likely multiplayer.
      • While discussing the game, they mention "two dolls" that Link can use and/or switch between, suggesting that this game does indeed have a single player mode.
      I'm kind of confused how the 3D assets like Link's model are ALBW-based (hurray for long pointy ears!) but the 2D art is based off of Toon Link. I mean, I don't hate Toon Link anymore but I still kind of go :\ because he's practically everywhere this day and age.

And I know it's all because Aonuma vastly prefers the toon aesthetic.
    • I hope it has bots like those you'd see in an FPS for its single-player mode, assuming there is a single player mode. The way FS:AE did 1-Player was like not good at all. Down with that. Up with bots! Also, I realy hope that the other Links shout stuff like, "Crystal Switch down! Block push confirmed!" as you progress through the dungeons.

In looking at it a second time, I like some of the level designs. Is there any word on whethre it will it be randomly generated like the Four Swords game was?
      "And tell the Doctor to get his money ready because he's going to pay for the Reality Bomb."
    • The story behind Tri Force Heroes is a simple but charming one. The game takes place in a foreign kingdom, obviously not Hyrule, where everyone is very fashion sensitive. The kingdom's princess becomes cursed one day and is forced to wear incredibly ugly clothes at all times. This forms a very large problem for the King, and he issues a proclamation calling for the help of heroes from all around to help lift the curse on his beloved daughter. This unites the three heroes, and they go on a quest together. You may even call them the literal tri force. - See more at: Everything We Know About Tri Force Heroes

Does anyone else need anymore proof that Nintendo doesn't really care all that much about giving The Legend of Zelda a series story? Hahaha. I'm sure it will be a fun game, but I kind of wish it wasn't a "Legend of Zelda" game. Could they not just come up with some broad new title to put games like the Oracles, FS, and this under? To keep the Legend of Zelda name somewhat respectable?