Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Nintendo
    General Fire Emblem Thread - Fire Emblem Treehouses
    • Fire Emblem (GBA) had a tutorial campaign without permanent death (they get wounded and can't participate for the rest of it instead), after you beat that they're not just "wounded" if they fall in the main game, they die for real. This holds true for most of the games sans very few and specific plot relevant characters that don't trigger a game over upon "death" but are plot relevant (Mist in Path of Radiance comes to mind).

On later games (Awakening and Fates) this situation is more expansive in order to not create time paradoxes due to the children mechanic and a bunch of royals being plot relevant. And there's also Casual mode but that's an entirely different beast.

On the other side of the scale you have Shadow Dragon, where you have to be some kind of insane priest hellbent on human sacrifices because sidestory chapters require you to kill some of your units to unlock them, but that wasn't popular for obvious reasons.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Jackos ().

• Yeah, well, I also didn't like that the player character had no face. So there.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • Holy crap, this game already has more world building than Fates.

Also, I'm really glad to see that it looks like it's taking a more serious tone than Awakening and Fates. The character designs don't seem very FE (but tbf neither did Awakening and Fates), but they're really nice either way, and I really like that they're modest so far.
    • John wrote:

I hope they cut back the Waifu/Husbando farming.

I don't mind that it exists, but it got kinda out of control in Fates, and the amount of work they've had to do to accommodate it is, I think, hurting some of the other elements a bit, and ended up constraining the stories they could tell.
      I was under the impression that that's the element responsible for a lot of Fire Emblem's current popularity, so I'm not sure you should get your hopes up.
      When the gods drave me forth to toil and assailed me with thirst and beat me down with hunger, then I prayed to the gods. When the gods smote the cities wherein I dwelt, and when Their anger scorched me and Their eyes burned, then did I praise the gods and offer sacrifice. But when I came again to my green land and found that all was gone, and the old mysterious haunts wherein I prayed as a child were gone, and when the gods tore up the dust and even the spider's web from the last remembered nook, then did I curse the gods, speaking it to Their faces, saying:—

"Gods of my prayers! Gods of my sacrifice! because Ye have forgotten the sacred places of my childhood, and they have therefore ceased to be, yet may I not forget. Because Ye have done this thing, Ye shall see cold altars and shall lack both my fear and praise. I shall not wince at Your lightnings, nor be awed when Ye go by."

Time and the Gods
    • thanks wrote:

Holy crap, this game already has more world building than Fates.
      Well that's not really all that hard considering they did not even bother naming the damn continent that time around.

One thing that bothers me on closer inspection is how the generic mooks surrounding the units look, I mean just look at their faces, they could've given them helmets to avoid this at the very least since it's just jarring now that I look at it.

@John I don't see how that hurted gameplay (unless you mean MyCastle in general in which case that can happen even without the waifu/husbando element), storytelling and characterization I'm behind you all the way though.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jackos ().

• I agree with both John and Vulpes. While I want the Waifu pandering to be gone, I think it's unrealistic to expect it. Heroes is proof once again that it sells, and it sells well.

Still, though... the more I see the trailer, the more I like Eldigan.
      What good is Power without the Wisdom to wield it? What good is Wisdom without the Courage to act? What good is Courage without the Power to change the world?

NNID: Croutonz
    • It's understandable. It's tempting to long for an "easy" relationship like those found in video games, with no responsibilities or hassles, which are ultimately part of what make real relationships worthwhile. Digital relationships may be less rewarding, but their convenience outweighs the fact that the "people" we find ourselves feeling mild affection for are nothing but computerized simulacra, triggering our deep-seated need for companionship with superficial but effective tactics like kind and even flirtatious words and appearances designed to appeal to our basest desires. Inadequate though it may be, it at least dulls the grim existential pain of living alone in this vale of tears.

I need a girlfriend.

Time and the Gods
    • As long as this one actually has a story with enough effort in it such that, you know, we actually know the name of the freakin' continent this time and the characters aren't just bouncing around the corners of the damn kingdoms for the locations of each battle with seemingly no rhyme or reason, I think we're at a good start.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Common Knowledge ().

• Hahaha sorry. I thought that sounded wrong when I typed it; whatever, I like Edelgard better.

And your right, it totally looks lilke 'Edgelord'.

Good thing we've already picked out her fan-nickname. We're well ahead of the curve.
      What good is Power without the Wisdom to wield it? What good is Wisdom without the Courage to act? What good is Courage without the Power to change the world?

• Sorry for the double post (er... 11 hours after the fact), but I finally realized who the three lords of this game remind me of. They're really similar to those three trainers from Pokemon Go; y'know, the leaders of Teams Mystic, Valor, and Instinct? The artstyle, the three primary colors... heck, even the character designs themselves share the same character traits. It's weird.

• I never know how seriously to take playthrough time estimate. Some games touted as lasting 30 hours end end taking me 120 hours, not because I'm particularly bad at them, but because I spend a lot of time screwing around.

Time and the Gods
    • Vulpes wrote:

I never know how seriously to take playthrough time estimate. Some games touted as lasting 30 hours end end taking me 120 hours, not because I'm particularly bad at them, but because I spend a lot of time screwing around.
      Obviously I am taking that into account. I pretty much always spend way longer time than what these hour-estimates says, so if it is like 30 hours it means like 50 hours for me lol.

The post was edited 1 time, last by MVS ().

• Jackos wrote:

Usually around 25-30 hours if you don't skip dialogue/cutscenes, though it really depends on the overall difficulty of the game as well (I have a 10 hour gap between my Birthright and Conquest playthroughs, those two share the same type of gameplay so it's the most fair comparison you can get in that regard).
      It also really depends on the difficulty you're playing it, plus how much of an OCD you are.
      I like playing them on hard, but I also don't want any of my units to die. So I tend to restart levels pretty often.
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW
    • In my case it's minimal screwing around (unless you count doing some children Paralogues screwing around), on Conquest because the game doesn't let you since it's supposed to resemble older entries gameplay-wise and on Birthright because I didn't feel like it. So yeah even that is game dependent as well: older entries sans Sacred Stones don't allow for much aside from advancing the story missions unless you literally spend countless turns just standing there boss abusing/grinding supports/arena grinding while later ones tend to have a map where you can do skirmishes if you want to.

Canyarion wrote:

Jackos wrote:

Usually around 25-30 hours if you don't skip dialogue/cutscenes, though it really depends on the overall difficulty of the game as well (I have a 10 hour gap between my Birthright and Conquest playthroughs, those two share the same type of gameplay so it's the most fair comparison you can get in that regard).
      It also really depends on the difficulty you're playing it, plus how much of an OCD you are.I like playing them on hard, but I also don't want any of my units to die. So I tend to restart levels pretty often.
      Well this is the playtime indicated on the save file, so any playtime wasted on resets is lost which means I probably have even more than that, especially on Conquest, heck I think the playtime on Fates indicated in my activity log is so big I don't even want to look at it nor mention it.

The post was edited 6 times, last by Jackos ().