Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Nintendo and motion controls for the future - Yay or Nay?
    • Should Nintendo keep making motion controls for their consoles? 24
        Nintendo should stick to motion controls (5) 21%
        Nintendo should go back to the classics or innovate (19) 79%
      I've brought this point up in a couple of other threads but want to get everyone's opinion on this - should Nintendo think about dropping the motion controllers and go back to standard controllers?

I feel they should. I mean, the N64 and Gamecube controllers were some of the best controllers EVAR!! (That's my opinion, don't get on my case about it). Even the Gamepad on the WiiU is fantastic.

The Wiimotes were a neat idea when they first came out and had their merits. But I was hoping that Nintendo would move away from them with the WiiU. Sadly, that was not the case.

Nintendo has proven they can innovate and make solid controllers when they want to. I think they need to drop the motion control gimmick and make something a little more traditional - or maybe innovate again and bring something fresh to the market.

What are your thoughts on this?

Note: This is not a flame thread or to be used to be derogatory - this is just a simple opinions thread to see how people feel about Nintendo's choice in hardware.

Sig & Avvy by Lady Sunshine, the most wonderful girl in the world
      Come check out our little business - Birdie B Bath Bombs
    • I wouldn't say the tablet Gamepad is a very good controller. It's rather bulky, and actually costly on Nintendo to produce. I don't think we'll be seeing anything quite like it again for future consoles.

I'd really like it though if Nintendo returned to old roots of classic controllers. Those were easy on the hands, more comfortable, and not as "gimmicky" as motion controls. Though in comparison to the Gamepad, I think the Wiimote was better.
    • I actually don't mind the game pad - it doesn't feel all that off when I use it (might be because I have big hands so I can hold it easier).

When it comes to the gamepad though, seeing as how they are making Amiibos for it, they might be considering using it for the long haul.

• I have mixed feelings on the Wii remote. For one, I like it when games make good use of it. Metroid Prime 3 and the ports of the other two in the Prime Trilogy are perfect examples, the games play completely differently when using motion controls in the best of ways.

But when they try to shoehorn them into something that could have been done with a button is when things get bad... at best, they just don't really add anything to the game (Mario Galaxy's spin attack) and at worst, they are a gigantic annoyance that makes the game far less enjoyable than it would have been with buttons. (Donkey Kong Country Returns as a whole.)

So yeah, I like motion controls when the game actually calls for them and they bring in something different to the table. But I hate them as a replacement for traditional controls. I like that both control schemes exist on Wii U, that way we can get both kinds of games, and I wouldn't mind it staying that way. (though I'd like a revised Wiimote for the next system, that thing could really do with some extra main buttons.)

As for the Gamepad... I don't mind the gamepad as a controller, but I honestly don't like it as a secondary screen.

It's neat on the DS and 3DS, where both your screens are right next to eachother, and are similar sizes, you can easily focus on both at the same time as if they were a single big thing. The same just doesn't work when your secondary screen is completely disconnected from the other one and is so much smaller than the TV. I have to stop looking at the TV to do things on the gamepad, and that's extremely annoying. It completely breaks any possible immersion when you have to be constantly looking at two separate things to play a game.

As a touchscreen to do a few special actions, it's cool. Doing the different Unite skills in Wonderful 101 is pretty fun and intuitive with the gamepad, and I like using it a lot more than the right stick. But it's extremely annoying when they force you to look at that screen all the time for things that could be perfectly done on the mainscreen without any downsides whatsoever.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Khaoabunga ().

• Why can't they have both traditional and motion controls? Traditional controls can be the main option which are compatible with every game but certain games should have the motion control option. I'm glad they haven't completely dropped motion controls with the Wii U but at the same time no game requires motion controls so its not a problem for those that did not like it with the Wii. Games should support the traditional controls with the gamepad and Wii U pro controller, but in games where it makes sense motion controls should be an option.

For example Mario Kart, I can't see why they would drop motion controls completely now for the series since it works well with the game for those that enjoy it that way. There are also some game series that I just feel are better with motion controls (like Metroid Prime) and some that I feel motion controls definitely enhances the gameplay (like Zelda) so the option should always be there.

Basically I think traditional controls are a must but I see no reason why motion controls shouldn't be supported alongside aswell. Afterall it doesn't hurt anyone if its an option, which it has been so far with the Wii U.
    • Motion controls were, to me, the definition of 'gimmick'. It is something that I got tired of after a year or two with the Wii and I never wanted to use them again. They were fun in certain games like Wii Sports, but in many games, they were to the detriment of the game. For instance, I would much prefer Mario Galaxy if the spin wasn't tied to waggling, and similarly I would prefer Donkey Kong Country Returns without the forced waggle-to-roll.

I just want to sit on my couch comfortably and enjoy a game without having to flail my arms around. Thankfully the Wii U is far more comfortable and I don't own any games for it that have motion controls, except for gyroscope usage, which is not too bad but I still prefer aiming with a stick instead.

TL;DR: Motion controls: not even once.

Keep in mind, I don't consider using the Wii-mote as a pointer "motion controls". That's actually intuitive, useful, and not gimmicky; I would go as far as to say that it's the best alternative next to a mouse.

The post was edited 2 times, last by YoMaNaTiOn ().

• I like that with the gamepad, you can make any Wii U game into a handheld, so that you don't need the TV to play. But as for motion controls, I think they can be fun with certain types of games, but I feel they should never be mandatory, like in Skyward Sword. At least give players an option.
      [SIZE="2"]Tonight, I spice my meat with goblin blood![/SIZE]
    • I can't play a first-person game on a console without a pointer-controller. Metroid Prime Trilogy was amazing. It'd just be sad if Nintendo completely ditched the remote-style controller. At the very least, there was also significant potential for party games. And I still think that Skyward Sword barely brushes the surface of what a truly good swordfighting motion-control-based game could have been.

What would have been perfect is if the Wiimote had like one or two more well-placed buttons. I feel like some people are complaining about button shortages, and one or two extra buttons would have gone a long way.

The Gamepad would have been nicer if it was lighter and perhaps smaller.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Double A ().

• zeruda~ wrote:

Why can't they have both traditional and motion controls? Traditional controls can be the main option which are compatible with every game but certain games should have the motion control option. I'm glad they haven't completely dropped motion controls with the Wii U but at the same time no game requires motion controls so its not a problem for those that did not like it with the Wii. Games should support the traditional controls with the gamepad and Wii U pro controller, but in games where it makes sense motion controls should be an option.

For example Mario Kart, I can't see why they would drop motion controls completely now for the series since it works well with the game for those that enjoy it that way. There are also some game series that I just feel are better with motion controls (like Metroid Prime) and some that I feel motion controls definitely enhances the gameplay (like Zelda) so the option should always be there.

Basically I think traditional controls are a must but I see no reason why motion controls shouldn't be supported alongside aswell. Afterall it doesn't hurt anyone if its an option, which it has been so far with the Wii U.

That's the thing though - if they aren't making motion controls a mandatory requirement for a vast majority of their games, why bother continuing with it? Just drop it and move on I say - I know if I have the option I always use an actual controller versus the Wiimote.

• Dark Link Reigns wrote:

That's the thing though - if they aren't making motion controls a mandatory requirement for a vast majority of their games, why bother continuing with it? Just drop it and move on I say - I know if I have the option I always use an actual controller versus the Wiimote.

The reason they should bother is because some people like me enjoyed the motion controls from the Wii and would prefer motion controls over traditional controls for some games. Like I said some games are just more enjoyable to me with motion controls so it would almost feel like a step backwards if they were to completely take it away for those games. Even though you know you will always pick a controller versus a Wiiremote those that want the Wiiremote option should have it. Its not going to bother anyone that prefers a normal controller if motion controls are always an option right?
    • No, it won't bother anyone. That's not what I'm trying to say. For the most part though, I think most people are seeing the Wiimotes and motion controls on the same level as the playstation move and eye - it was a near gimmick and first but now's its run its course and it is time for something new or something a bit more traditional.

I agree there are some games that the motion controls make much more fun (Mario Party comes to mind) - but when I am playing single player games I don't want to be shaking my arm - I want to sit and relax and immerse myself in the game and I just can't do that when I'm flailing around like I'm being electrocuted (that's an exaggeration of course, but I think it makes my point).

• zeruda~ wrote:

Why can't they have both traditional and motion controls? Traditional controls can be the main option which are compatible with every game but certain games should have the motion control option. I'm glad they haven't completely dropped motion controls with the Wii U but at the same time no game requires motion controls so its not a problem for those that did not like it with the Wii. Games should support the traditional controls with the gamepad and Wii U pro controller, but in games where it makes sense motion controls should be an option.

For racing games, this would be easy. For sports games and FPS, this would be significantly harder. For every other game, it would not be possible (since pulling off Motion Controls in most other games, and doing it well, results in motion-related mechanics).
    • The Regginator wrote:

For racing games, this would be easy. For sports games and FPS, this would be significantly harder. For every other game, it would not be possible (since pulling off Motion Controls in most other games, and doing it well, results in motion-related mechanics).

I disagree. Pikmin 3 is in your category of every other game yet has the option of a standard control or motion control option without one option affecting the mechanics of the other. So its definitely very possible to pull it off for other games if they wanted to put in the effort.
    • zeruda~ wrote:

I disagree. Pikmin 3 is in your category of every other game yet has the option of a standard control or motion control option without one option affecting the mechanics of the other. So its definitely very possible to pull it off for other games if they wanted to put in the effort.

You're right, I forgot RTS. Any game for which some sort of cursor is the primary gameplay mechanic and reflexes aren't so important is also easy to adapt for pointer control.

The point is that meaningful motion controls that aren't used for basic direction control or cursor control aren't going to be easy to adapt.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Double A ().

• I like motion controls, but I felt like a lot has been sacrificed, in both the hardware and software, to achieve that.

Above all, I wish Nintendo would pick 1 controller and just stick to it.
      Current Ranking List:

1. A Link to the Past_______7. Legend of Zelda_______13. Phantom Hourglass
      2. Ocarina of Time________8. Oracle of Ages________14. Spirit Tracks
      3. The Wind Waker________9. Majora's Mask________15. Adventure of Link
      4. A Link Between Worlds___10. Oracle of Seasons_____16. Four Sword Adventures
      5. Skyward Sword_________11. The Minish Cap _______17. Four Swords
      6. Link's Awakening_______12. Twilight Princess_______