Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • News
    Nintendo announces the "New 3DS" and "New 3DS XL"
    • Thankfully, this system won't be coming out anytime soon for North America. I'm more than happy to wait for this handheld to go overseas. Plenty of games to buy before then, which will keep myself occupied for the time being.

The system itself, I really do like it. The functions look bumped up, and the handheld looks pretty slick. The name, obviously, is the only fall back. I'd buy the console regardless, but I do hope the name changes down the road.
    • Pietro wrote:

Its really not though because the PS4 is a thing. Sony strategy for the Vita was not to have one console for the handheld and home but to have the Vita as a companion piece to the PS4.

They launched the thing a full two years ahead of the PS4 and it was a flop for those two years.

Remember what people were saying when the Vita's price point was first revealed? "3DS dead!" "Sony killed it!" "Ohhhh snap!" And then two years later - "wait, what do you mean it's just a companion piece?! I paid $250 for this fucking thing!"

What Sony decided to turn the Vita into does not reflect what they originally pitched it as. They pitched the Vita as a console/handheld hybrid, just like its predecessor. And it fucking failed.
    • They launched the thing a full two years ahead of the PS4 and it was a flop for those two years.

Remember what people were saying when the Vita's price point was first revealed? "3DS dead!" "Sony killed it!" "Ohhhh snap!" And then two years later - "wait, what do you mean it's just a companion piece?! I paid $250 for this fucking thing!"

A lot of the people who complain about the Vita don't even own one, I'm quite pleased with my Vita purchase and from what I've seen on ZU so are the people who bought it on ZU. I've never seen someone on ZU say that they felt ripped off from what they got out of the Vita. Maybe there are, but I haven't seen them.

What Sony decided to turn the Vita into does not reflect what they originally pitched it as. They pitched the Vita as a console/handheld hybrid, just like its predecessor. And it fucking failed.

It was originally pitched as a handheld and then became a handheld and a companion piece for the PS4.
    • Pietro wrote:

A lot of the people who complain about the Vita don't even own one, I'm quite pleased with my Vita purchase and from what I've seen on ZU so are the people who bought it on ZU. I've never seen someone on ZU say that they felt ripped off from what they got out of the Vita. Maybe there are, but I haven't seen them.

Given that you've had your complaints and grievances with the Nintendo Wii despite never owning one (as far as I recall from your posts at least, I could be wrong in recent years?), I think you'd certainly agree that you can have your problems with a gaming device despite not owning said gaming device yourself. Indeed, the problems I have with the Vita make up the precise reason why I do not own one currently.

The problem, incidentally, wasn't that Sony ripped people off with the Vita. They were actually very clear about what kind of machine the Vita was going to be and what kinds of games it would get. The problem was that what Sony promised with the Vita was something most people didn't want. A console/handheld hybrid has not proven itself to be more successful than a dedicated handheld.

It was originally pitched as a handheld and then became a handheld and a companion piece for the PS4.

Point being, the mentality behind the Vita as seen through its unveiling and subsequent release was to continue what the PSP started and make the Playstation handheld experience emulate the Playstation console experience as much as possible. And thus we come back to my initial point.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Abyss Master ().

• Pietro wrote:

Yo.
      Now, I'm not saying I felt entirely ripped of by the Vita- it had actual good features. But the main problem is, is that Sony not only neglected it to oblivion, but promised so much and then when it came time to own up to said promises, it never happened. I want to be able to play my PS3 titles on the go. I want to be able to easily switch between consoles. I want the whole thing.
      it shouldn't take an entire team of hackers to get a functionality to be available, when said functionality was promised from the beginning.
      Nowadays I just use my Vita to play like, 4 games, some movies and music, and watch Youtube videos.
      It also doesn't help how much Sony is overpricing things such as the memory cards, but we'll get to that later.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Windra ().

• The almost yearly re-releases of consoles is absolutely ridiculous.

I've nothing against special editions - i.e. the Pikachu N64 or White PS4 Destiny bundle. But the amount of Gameboys, DSes and 3DSes that have been released is ridiculous. The analogue problem the new 3DS addresses was a well-voiced issue prior to the release of the 3DSXL. I honestly think this is a ridiculous release, it's Nintendo trying to flog some money from children's parents who are after the 'new' thing. It adds very little in my opinion, the buttons are pretty and the analogue stick is useful but none of it's necessary, especially considering a analogue stick accessory exists.

I'll retract my statement if the new hardware provides significant improvements over it's predecessor under the hood but in the meantime I'm skeptical.
    • I don't think I'll be getting this anytime soon. I just got my 3DS XL last Christmas, so I'm not really due for a new one, plus I'm not that excited over many of the new features.
      However, I'm really really excited for the home themes. More pink that I can put on my 3DS~

"If someone tells me it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong everytime."
      Tumblr//DeviantArt//Twitch
    • So it turns out the functionality of certain games may also require the new 3DS - for instance, players will not be able to use Miiverse while running Super Smash Bros on the old 3DS, but they'll be able to on n3DS.

"Miiverse cannot be run while this software is being played, so posting screenshots to this community is not possible. When using this software with the New Nintendo 3DS or New Nintendo 3DS XL, Miiverse can be used while playing."

(From the Miiverse community. It's basically because of memory.)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Scarrrrr ().

• ich Will wrote:

I wonder how long this edition will last, I imagine it to be around three years. Feels like I might as well wait for the 4DS.

I hope it will be the last major upgrade for the 3DS before the 4DS or Nintendo's Virtual 5D Reality headset over 9,000 is released.

I don't want Nintendo to go down a similar route as Apple releasing a new phone or whatever every two weeks.

Probably not, but it will be annoying to dedicated fans.
    • Bill wrote:

Only way I'd be interested in upgrading would be if Nintendo announced several portable games I'm actually interested in. A new 2D Metroid. A new 2D Zelda. A more ambitious 2D Mario. Golden Sun 4. And so on.

I really hope that doesn't happen, that'd mean the 3DS actually just lasted three years before becoming irrelevant.

The exclusives better just be a few not-that-important releases.

I mean, at least Xenoblade is a port, getting a brand new Zelda or Metroid would just be a huge dick move. (I mean, like an even bigger dick move than it already is.)

I'm annoyed at a few exclusive game, but I can deal with it.

All the big releases being exclusives from now on would be just fucking unacceptable. It's basically the same as releasing a next-gen system only three years after the last one, except the new system is not even all that different in features or horsepower.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Khaoabunga ().