Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
Tales of Worlds Green Room II: Rewind
  • Tales of Worlds GREEN ROOM

This is the Tales of Worlds Green Room and will be the official chat room of the Tales of Worlds subforum. Discussions of RP ideas, storyline questions or straight up advertising for roleplays is all allowed - as long as you follow ZU's rules of course. Just make sure you add a small descriptive paragraph along with it.

Now before we begin, you may want to know what makes the Tales of Worlds different from our sister forum the Tales of Characters. This is actually a multi-pronged answer, but it comes down to different concepts; the Tales of Characters is focused on characters while the Tale of Worlds is focused on stories.

All of the RPs in the Tales of Characters are done by characters who are approved by typically the local section mods, but exceptions can be made to allow a forum mod or a super mod - or a person who isn't a mod at all - to be approvers. All characters must be approved by an approver - even the mods of the forum cannot self approve (a practice which was discontinued in August 2014).

Characters in the Tales of Characters cannot wield items like the Master Sword nor are characters like Link allowed in the roleplay as a PC.

However this isn't true for the Tales of Worlds! As long as the dungeon master (DM) is OK with it, you are allowed to play with these intellectual properties. Want to be Link? Go for it! Want your character to have the Triforce of Courage? Be our guest! As long as you stay within ZU and the DM's rules, the world is your oyster.

Before creating a RP for the very first time, we suggest giving our Tales of Worlds User Manual a read. Any further questions can be brought up here or to a mod.

So happy posting!

:heart: Rinn “Arwyn” Nailo drawn by Liah :heart:
    Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
    Characters | The Time Lost | The Rumors We Believe | Ruki's Reviews

The post was edited 4 times, last by Ruki ().

• To start things off, I'm going to ask a storyline question - when creating a RP - any RP - how do you get the idea for a story? How do you go about growing it and what sort of things do you typically see yourself wanting to accomplish?

As for myself, most of my RP stories in the VCR tend to be from preconceived universes - Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cage of Eden, etc. I am one of those people who look at a story and is like "that's cool - I want to do that too." The problem with these sort of things though is that they usually focus on one or two main characters (three if you are lucky!) so you have to figure out a way sometimes to write the new storyline in a way that everyone feels included instead of one person is the main character. A lot of times I simply use the world and take away the characters from the show or book, or sometimes take a look at things and wonder how things progressed or were like before. Sometimes I even want to tell the story what could have been or focus on the fallout of the main story's actions.

However, that isn't to say I don't enjoy making my own worlds. I do! I have one on the backburner which takes Sword Art Online concepts (trapped virtual gaming) and my own idea to create something entirely new. At some time I would like to make an RP in my country of Altamire. I don't think that will be happening any time soon though because as developed as it is, it's still a far way from what I would want it to be to bring it in. Especially since I would think it would be interesting and fun to take place in the "Lost History" part of that era instead of the current point its at. Although another possible point would be the Yale and Altamirian Conflict which has some background in the story of the characters in the Battle Arena currently.

Another world I'm sort of interesting in exploring might be Terra, but I only really started going into that let alone developing its lore and Atlantis.

Worlds which I think would be interesting - mythologies I think would be worth exploring, ideas worth chasing - there is so much I have swimming in my brain, lol. Which would explain why I have so many RPs, but this may be shocking to you all (or not) but I have more even back there.

Rakshael: if I know one thing about Ruki, it's that she'll prove you wrong just for the sake of saying she did it
  • I take the name VCR pretty literally. To me it's all about the writer / player experiencing the world or universe of the RP. The story is usually driven by a goal that the writers strive for whilst working with the opportunities and limitations that the world offers. The process should strive toward making the most of the game world. Each world has something special about it. It can be so anything. For example the Mary Sue Death Battle has the fact that some of the main roleplaying 'rules' are no longer there, which gives the players players the chance to go all out with overpowered characters. So I don't usually think in storylines, but more in what I would want to do with certain mechanics.
  • Well, at the moment I'm helping Mastermatt create a Sword Art Online RP. For that one it was the concept of roleplaying a virtual environment. Working with game menu's and hp bars and stuff like that. It's something I've never done before and It seems pretty cool to work with as it offers other ways of creating a story.

In a more general sense, I love trying new things, being challenged a bit beyond the character aimed RP of the BA. Inspiration comes from games, anime, wherever basically.
  • RUKI TOLD ME TO POST IN HERE SO I'M POSTIN' IN HERE, ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF VCRS AND VHS TAPES.

Ruki wrote:

To start things off, I'm going to ask a storyline question - when creating a RP - any RP - how do you get the idea for a story? How do you go about growing it and what sort of things do you typically see yourself wanting to accomplish?

Hmmm, the first part is a hard thing to pinpoint. Sometimes it's a book, a movie, a song, etc. that jogs the idea. Other times I'm just daydreaming, exercising, or maybe doodling something, thinking about particular characters, and a scenario comes to me. Certain types of music make me think of certain characters more vividly, and ideas start flowing that way.

Other times, I just think of natural continuations/extensions of ongoing multi-thread arcs/plots they have going on, and figure out a new installment for one of those. So like if they've been working towards this cause for a while, the thread might follow another of their efforts towards that long-term goal.

Some threads just begin with a relationship or set of dynamics between two characters that I just want to explore further, and whomever my RPing partner is and I think up a story to bring them together from there.

I'd venture to say that those last two, continuing ongoing plot arcs, or exploring character relationships, are my two most common RP story scenarios. Those types mostly cater to my BA stories, where it's more character-driven, and I have longer, multi-thread arcs going on and interweaving in the characters' lives.

For my one VCR RP thus far, Galactic Blues, the idea came as a result of Rak and myself wanting to explore the themes and style and overall world of Cowboy Bebop, but with our own characters. So we removed any characters from the original series and populated it with our own cast and our own stories, and exploring their plots through that new lens. It's been fun to see what changes and what remains the same about who those characters are as people in this new setting, since each main character (and many of the side ones) were originally from the BA.

Some aspects of their persona hold firm even in this new re-imagined version of them, and other things differ but often stay very true to who they are at their core. This interplay added another layer of depth and interest for us to the RP concept.

Overall, I'm interested in a lot of themes and concepts, but with each roleplay, I generally have a different goal, depending on the story told. I'd like each finished one to have something to say, whether it's about who these characters are as people, what they mean to one another, what maybe this place means, something about life, etc.

I tend to gravitate towards crime stories, but I also like fantasy stuff, and mix in other elements of other genres. I hope for each RP to have its own tone and mood, maybe multiple tones depending on the story, and as far as the BA goes, I also like for it to generally show a significant moment in the character's life (or characters' lives, as the case may be.) That "significant moment" could just be a particularly memorable meeting between friends, a occasion they'll hang onto, but ultimately I like it to be a story that will stick with them.

For Galactic Blues, I hope to tell a story about this crew with my partners, where we see their hopes and dreams and goals and failures, and watch them grow and fight and lots more. Cowboy Bebop itself had a bit of a downer ending, but at the end, you were glad you had gone along for the ride.

As for how the stories grow and develop, a lot of that comes from talking and discussing stuff with my RP partners once we get going. We plan as we go along usually and work stuff out as things progress. I might occasionally have a very general outline of points to touch on, if I'm leading the RP, some pivotal moment maybe, but most of the time, it's much looser and a product of pure collaboration. I tend to need to write to work through my thoughts, so I'm not much of a pre-planner/plotter for most threads. If it's something that's a key moment in one of my ongoing arcs, I might have a general idea of how that's going to go, but then other people's reactions will still be open and up to them. Some tales grow in the telling--so in general, I just try to be flexible and talk through stuff with others, and it seems to work pretty well. ^__^
  • "RWBY brings four very different girls together for one legendary purpose. These four fighters will come face-to-face with menacing creatures, devious villains, and an incredible cast of characters." From the RWBY Wiki

RWBY is basically a story about four teenage girls (yes, another teenage hero RP ...) that attend a school that trains elite warriors to face off against the threats of the world. It's a high fantasy setting with a bit of drama, magic and humour. Each student is armed with some kind of weapon (which more often than not doubles as a gun, for example a rifle scythe and revolver rapier)

Videos can be found on Rooster Teeth's Website. You can find them on Youtube too. Takes about 3 hours to sit through the whole series to date.
  • I only watched the first episode of RWBY and I didn't get into it. I mean sure it was just my first impression, but it seemed like it was all style and no substance. Might be cool for some people, but I guess I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to that sort of stuff. xB

I'm sure it gets better as it goes on, but I just wasn't interested enough to continue.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Quark ().

• I suppose a big part of the appeal is the concept and style (disregarding the animation). It does take a bit of time to get into the characters and to see what happens with them. But there is growth and development It's also still early days in the series, so there's a bit of waiting out to see what happens. Does look lie some interesting themes are coming up though.

But it really does come down to taste and preference. If the style doesn't work for you, it would probably be difficult to get into. Whether RWBY fits in with your style and taste, I really couldn't say :v:
  • blackbird wrote:

"RWBY brings four very different girls together for one legendary purpose. These four fighters will come face-to-face with menacing creatures, devious villains, and an incredible cast of characters." From the RWBY Wiki

RWBY is basically a story about four teenage girls (yes, another teenage hero RP ...) that attend a school that trains elite warriors to face off against the threats of the world. It's a high fantasy setting with a bit of drama, magic and humour. Each student is armed with some kind of weapon (which more often than not doubles as a gun, for example a rifle scythe and revolver rapier)

Videos can be found on Rooster Teeth's Website. You can find them on Youtube too. Takes about 3 hours to sit through the whole series to date.

I would be totally into this. RWBY is funnn.
  • So, a familiar RP has once again returned to the VCR, the Adventure of Hogwarts. Like its predecessors, this RP is set during the last few years of the First Wizarding War, during Voldemort's first rise to power.

The RP will follow the characters from the current point in the RP, the beginning of their first year, until the end of their years at Hogwarts. The RP is meant to be similar in a way to the Harry Potter books themselves, starting with some more self-contained stories before transitioning into a more unified story arc later on.

I'm looking for people who are interested in the Harry Potter universe or just RPing in general who are willing to join in. The current storyline will center on a mysterious thief lurking the halls of the school and the main character's attempts to get to the bottom of what's going on as they go between classes and deal with the unique challenges that emerge around the school at the time. If you've got the time and want to check it out, just check out the link above and drop me a line. There's no real limit to players, but we'll be starting up once we get two or three more people involved.
  • Looks like an RP plugging spree.

Here is the OP for the RWBY RP I mentioned before. Check it out and lemme know of you're interested! :)

For those of you that haven’t heard of RWBY, basically it’s a fantasy anime (with Western Influence) that centres on four teenage girls. These girls attend a school where they train to become elite warriors of their world, Remnant. They fight a bunch of monsters, as well as various nefarious villains, all while dealing with the common issues that plague teenagers.

At this point, I am looking for three others to fill the lead roles for the RP, though more are welcome to produce additional teams if there happens to be more people that want in.

The post was edited 1 time, last by blackbird ().

• Hey, bb, do you think you can add a bit more to your post explaining the story? While I do allow advertising for RPs here - especially since that's what a lot of people use the Green Room for - I don't want to encourage short little posts because otherwise we will get a Green Room like the last one. The reason I made this Green Room is to encourage discussion.

This goes to anybody advertising an RP - please give a quick explanation of the RP story. Doesn't have to be longer than a paragraph. I will add this to the first post.

• Do you hold justice dear to your heart? Do those scum of the sea pirates sicken you? Do you want to be all you can be?

Then join the marines and knock in some heads. We're currently recruiting for six positions for pirate chasing goodness.

zeldauniverse.net/forums/virtu…scussion.html#post5510245

Please visit the link above to scope out the six available ranks. And please view the opening post for the rules and regulations for the RP and character creation, One Piece: Dawn of Dreams.

“We must be greater than what we suffer.”
    [A Light in the Dark| Empire of Darkness |Under the Red Sea]

The post was edited 4 times, last by Shrub ().

• Character/villain question!

Now the VCR is heavily focused on stories, and it helps every good story to have some kind of antagonist(s) or villain(s) to conflict with the protagonist(s) and drive the plot. :3 So who have been your favorite antagonists or villains in a VCR RP (your own or someone else's) and why did you like them? What did you learn from reading them or enjoy most about them, that helped make them stand out in your mind? ^__^

They can be from a thread you were in, or just a thread you have read, any answer is welcomed. <3
  • Personally, my favorite villains have been those who turn out more than they seem. Like in Digimon Liberation, the first "boss" will be Ren and Tasuki. I am really looking forward to that and that change of heart and how that affects group dynamics later down on the line. Because it does. I also like how the yakuza and the mafia play a pretty big role in Digimon Liberation and we have a bunch of other "villains" of different arcs who don't see themselves as evil or anything they have done as wrong.

I also seem to enjoy playing "big mysterious impossible to take down entity" in the role plays I create. Digimon Liberation Front, a terrorist group, in Digimon Liberation. Valkyrie, a security company which secretly pulls the strings behind everything, in Digimon Cyber Story. I am also very excited for my character Blair Reynolds, from Saints of Soria, arc. The villain in that one hits very close to home for her.

I suppose, in short, I prefer villains to be something difficult to overcome, in a variety of ways. I like seeing villains who force characters to struggle, whether it is against their forces or try to accept them when they do a face turn heel. I like villains which have a point and make you think.