Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
The Minish Cap - Pros and Cons List
  • **THE GOOD**

- Great color-accented art style

(equal to if not better than ALTTP's visuals) that have
    aged very well and still look great today.

- Atmosphere.

Dungeons actually feel like places, as opposed to other
    2D Zelda games in which all dungeons consist of the
    same walls/floors.

- New concepts are introduced

Shrinking (via the Minish Cap) and the ability of self-cloning
    both add interesting new perspectives in solving puzzles.

- A solid roster of items

including some unexpected ones (like the Cane of Pacci), as
    well as cool ugprades of existing items like the Roc's Cape.
    Dungeons also make use of multiple items.

- Warping

Both inside and outside of dungeons and plenty of shortcut
    routes, there's minimal backtracking.

**THE NEUTRAL**

- Relatively short length

(10 hours for the main adventure alone). This adventure is shorter
    than most Zelda games, but shorter also means greater replay-ability.

- Kinship Stones.

They add lots of replay value with side quests and make want to 100%
    the game. It also, however, does take away the serendipity of finding
    new areas on your own that the series has prided itself in.

- 2D visuals portraying a 3D setting.

A lot of the time, the game does appear to have genuine verticality.
    At other times, it doesn't.

- Follows the Zelda formula faithfully.

Understandable, as Nintendo reached out to third party to make this
    game. The linear dungeon-quest-dungeon formula is tried and true,
    but sometimes feels too familiar at times.

**THE BAD**

- Some weak level design.

Some of the areas and a few of the dungeons felt like linear levels
    rather than interconnected areas. And toward the last third of the
    game, some of the level design got lazier and lazier.

- Imbalanced difficulty curve.

The game is mostly easy (no hard mode option) as you progress,
    only for it to get hard at the very end.

- Some side quests are mediocre

And feel like filler: such as the Cloud Tops area and a sequence where
    you have to return overdue library books. This is atop an already short
    adventure.

The post was edited 7 times, last by minervyx ().

• I agree with most of this, but disagree with the imbalances difficulty curve. I didn't think the game ever got very difficult. It was just kind of easy throughout, getting slightly harder, but not way harder. I'd probably replace that with the game being easy.

I'd also add to the pros that the world feels dynamic, both based on differences you experience when you change sides and based on how interactions with npcs change as the game progresses. Kinstones also help to make it feel dynamic and alive.
  • You hit a lot of good points. But one thing I wasn't too fond about in Minish Cap were the Recovery fairies. Every time I collect one, it would only replenish 4 hearts before fading away. Kind of a let down, but I suppose it helps add difficulty. Either that, or I just buy red potions. I think it was the red potions or Lon Long Milk that completely restore your health. If not, it was probably 8 or 10 hearts. I'd give this a neutral stand.

The controls were a strong part of the game. Felt easy to handle, and there is no slippery effects, besides the icy physics. While it would have been nice to have a diagonal path, the GBA made good use of using the D-Pad for an all all around, exploring land. I'd give this a neutral stand.

S0me of the treasures you find are... a little unexpected, disappointing to be frank. When you get a treasure chest to appear and you open it, it's usually another Kinstone piece. While those are great to collect, if you intend to get all the fusions complete, you could always get more from the town market. You could also find them in the wild from randomized grass cutting or enemy droppings.

The damage you get from enemies or hazards is not friendly to you. Especially when I get caught in something, or by an enemy, and my health is fading fast. Not to mention how many hearts one enemy could take away from you. A hazard I'm not keen about is the fire. If you get burned by a rotating fire carousel, Link goes berserk and won't stop running until the fire runs out. That in of itself creates an unwanted penalty.

Those are some of my notes. I'll add more later when they come to me.
  • I will say most of the sidequests are a problem.
    Kinstones are much more of a bad then good. you know how long it takes to find the appropriate people to fuse kinstones? and there is no right guide. what i get isn't always based on who i fuse with. And if you try it on an emulator (for experimental purposes), your prize can change. So theres no quick guide to it all.

I will say the difficulty curves from inconsistent dungeon designing. They were heavily linear, especially the last. but then we have all the room to go through the castle.
  • SheikahNo13 wrote:

I will say most of the sidequests are a problem.
    Kinstones are much more of a bad then good. you know how long it takes to find the appropriate people to fuse kinstones? and there is no right guide. what i get isn't always based on who i fuse with. And if you try it on an emulator (for experimental purposes), your prize can change. So theres no quick guide to it all.

I will say the difficulty curves from inconsistent dungeon designing. They were heavily linear, especially the last. but then we have all the room to go through the castle.
    I think it's fair to put kinstones as neutral. Some people, like you, really don't like them. But some people, like me, really enjoy them. From what I've seen, some people fall somewhere in between. So, it makes more sense to have it neutral than one or the other.
  • mosstheinflatablecow wrote:

I think it's fair to put kinstones as neutral. Some people, like you, really don't like them. But some people, like me, really enjoy them. From what I've seen, some people fall somewhere in between. So, it makes more sense to have it neutral than one or the other.

Even if you enjoy them, you can't call it "perfect". There are simply too many characters, and theres no notebook to keep track of everyone, you're constantly revisiting the same people when you're down to the last ones. And some of these open up "after" you beat the game. Such as the mirror shield. So you can't even get 100% before you fight the final boss.

Can you honestly tell me that you had a smooth time getting 100%? People are scattered throught the most difficult obstacles. looking for everyone is a Hassle. sometimes you go back only to see that they have no kinstone to offer.........i definitely count it as bad, because its definitely not perfect, and it is indeed a hassle whether you enjoy it or not.

a flaw is a flaw.

EDIT: I also want to say that another flaw is how lack of story....the Minish were interesting characters, but they seemed just an excuse to shrink, they didn't feel like they offered something of deep relevance. This world of minish wasn't even seen....and we didn't even see their great power.

Vaati was a dark character, but his lack of motive was also what hindered his character....we just didn't know what he wanted, and in the end we didn't get to know.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Octorokstar ().

• SheikahNo13 wrote:

Even if you enjoy them, you can't call it "perfect". There are simply too many characters, and theres no notebook to keep track of everyone, you're constantly revisiting the same people when you're down to the last ones. And some of these open up "after" you beat the game. Such as the mirror shield. So you can't even get 100% before you fight the final boss.

Can you honestly tell me that you had a smooth time getting 100%? People are scattered throught the most difficult obstacles. looking for everyone is a Hassle. sometimes you go back only to see that they have no kinstone to offer.........i definitely count it as bad, because its definitely not perfect, and it is indeed a hassle whether you enjoy it or not.

a flaw is a flaw.

EDIT: I also want to say that another flaw is how lack of story....the Minish were interesting characters, but they seemed just an excuse to shrink, they didn't feel like they offered something of deep relevance. This world of minish wasn't even seen....and we didn't even see their great power.

Vaati was a dark character, but his lack of motive was also what hindered his character....we just didn't know what he wanted, and in the end we didn't get to know.
    I don't think I ever claimed it was perfect. But, while it wasn't easy getting 100%, I did find it extremely enjoyable. I also don't think it should be counted as negative that you can't get 100% before the final boss, either. It's not even uncommon for video games to do this, where the final boss unlocked more secretary and sidequests.

I think something that's very good about the kinstones is how dynamic it makes the world feel. Your actions physically alter the world, influence how people behave, etc. And, partially as a result of the kinstones, interactions with different people at different times, even minor characters, have different results. Thai, I think, makes the world far more real and more interesting.

While there may be some things they could have done better with it, I'd say there are enough and significantly large positive points to the system that it doesn't deserve to be called bad. Neutral really makes a lot more sense.
  • mosstheinflatablecow wrote:

I don't think I ever claimed it was perfect. But, while it wasn't easy getting 100%, I did find it extremely enjoyable. I also don't think it should be counted as negative that you can't get 100% before the final boss, either. It's not even uncommon for video games to do this, where the final boss unlocked more secretary and sidequests.
    Which games are these? The problem is without a guide to tell you, that you can't do more (yet clear signs that there is more to be done), you'll be roaming around forever. There is no in-game guide to handle it all.

And for someone familiar with Zelda, you should be able to as thats what the norm has been in every other Zelda since.

I think something that's very good about the kinstones is how dynamic it makes the world feel. Your actions physically alter the world, influence how people behave, etc. And, partially as a result of the kinstones, interactions with different people at different times, even minor characters, have different results. Thai, I think, makes the world far more real and more interesting.

To me, that wasn't the case. it felt just like a game gimmick to unlock more features. For example: How much did the world change? not much...just a few beansprouts, a few walkable lakes draining. It didn't make huge changes. Another issue is that areas are completely blocked off until a certain kinstones are fused. So trying to find ways to get to them was all about fusing kinstones....someone who doesn't know that, will try to find a way without fusing kinstones. I wish kinstones were designed for only a single quest....but its part of "ALL" the quests.

And again, with the usage of an emulator, you can prove that that the kinstones are completely "Random". i tested it out, out of the 50 times that i fused kinstones to the same lesser relevant NPC, gave me different results, 20 of those was giving me the same treasure box (that holds another kinstone), 15 of those gave me a golden monster that gave me more money. the other times gave me another treasure. There are very specific characters that give specific things, but it does being a hassle. And its hard to tell what the color differences mean (i dont think they have any significance, which they should)

I dont see it as "realistic" at all.....kinstones at the core, was just a game gimmick to unlock more. it doesn't feel the way you describe it. It feels like the world is excessively restricted, and then when unlocked by kinstones? i get barely any reward.... And how much did you open up? not much, just a few areas. But there was no optional dungeon, no optional upgrades other than magic boomerang and magic mirror. Not much felt "significant" in the end. There was way too many options to get kinstones in my eyes. we had about 4 different areas to get kinstones. It got me all confused. Seeeing these areas getting restricted also shows frustration to find the right person to fuse kinstones (and you end up fusing multiple times with the same people)

While there may be some things they could have done better with it, I'd say there are enough and significantly large positive points to the system that it doesn't deserve to be called bad. Neutral really makes a lot more sense.

its is the WORST thing about Minish Cap in my eyes....they could've done a a heck lot better. And i mean a lot of changes. for one, the colors are random. they don't give us an idea of what they classify which kinstone does what (except for gold, which are plot related).Maybe for red which is more of a rare one. but you barely use that one. Going too far in the story will hault the rest of the kinstone fusing that unlocks more of the town. That is "bad" in my eyes. Most of them are the same thing, new golden monster, new chest to give us either more rupees or more kinstones.

What little is unlocked barely makes a dent int he world. And for a world thats already pretty small (Lake Hylia might aswell be a puddle), theres not much to appreciate. In the end, you dont get that satisfaction of 100% like you did in MM. An optional dungeon, a "kinstone" sword, or "kinstone shield". something...."kinstone armor"

• JmTsHaW wrote:

Ingame wise though, I hate how you have to get all the figurines to get that one heart piece.

And the sound test. :( I don't think I'll ever bother doing that.
    Currently Playing | Played | Own | Beaten | 100%

LoZ | AoL | ALttP | LA | OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | PH | ST | SS | ALBW

Calime wrote:

What if the Friendzone was part of Demise's Curse?

• The Minish weren't relevant to the plot? The antagonist is a Minish! And so is your companion! They help you out by placing things that allow you to shrink, putting rupees in grass, making Kinstones, and created the sword you use. That seems like they're somewhat involved to me.

LoZ | AoL | ALttP | LA | OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | PH | ST | SS | ALBW

Calime wrote:

• The Wizard of LoZ wrote:

The Minish weren't relevant to the plot? The antagonist is a Minish! And so is your companion!

But i didn't get an understanding of the Minish.....the companion found ways to be able to shrink, but other than that, i didn't get to learn much from them.
    THe villain also was mysterious. wasn't even sure if he was minish.

The minish were gimmicky, they provided no lore to the story that we can latch onto. For example, when u see minish, they look more like fanservice. all of them living under peoples noses doing typical things.

They help you out by placing things that allow you to shrink, putting rupees in grass, making Kinstones, and created the sword you use. That seems like they're somewhat involved to me.
    Thats a gameplay mechanic. i'm still talking about a story-mechanic. the minish didn't really serve much.

• Well, I think you're overlooking something. The Minish are integral to TMC. They're in the title.

Calime wrote:

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Wizard of LoZ ().

• The Wizard of LoZ wrote:

Well, I think you're overlooking something. The Minish are integral to TMC. They're in the title.

The minish were a gimmick, they were not integral to the story. for example, Vaati did not have to be a minish to become the wind mage. Ezlo aswell did not need to become a Minish either...The minish appear every 100 years or so, which can be a good reason why we never see them again, but when you think about it, we see Minish who established themselves.

The Minish were a gimmick....a reason to shrink down.
  • They're more than a gimmick. You have to visit Minish in just about every area in the game. They help you out in various ways, there are a lot Minish characters, and they are who the game is about. The Ezlo/Vaati conflict has to do with two Minish. Plus, he's only the Wind Mage because of the Mage Cap, which is a Minish object. Everything I mentioned is far more than a gimmick. A gimmick is shrinking down in size. Having a whole other society that you can visit and that helps you is part of the progression of the game.

Calime wrote: