Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Improve relations with Zelda Wiki and make a sub-forum
    • (Bare in mind, huge thread.)

There are a few fond memories I remember back from my early days on the ZU forums, around '08 or so. Besides once being an avid theorist back when the theorizing board was a little more active and had a community of sorts within it (I kind of miss that too), I was also a hard working editor over at the Zelda Wiki. Back then, I would even say that there were more people on the forums who also worked on the wiki.

Now when I look at things, frankly, I see a lack of attention and even what I might call negligence between ZU and the wiki.

Back in '08-9, I used to closely work with this group of people who all contributed a lot to the wiki. We had our own social group on the forums, which is still around but no longer used, and we also used to use Skype to discuss plans and such. We were all very hard workers then, and I think our efforts were actually a little more appreciated back then, or at least how I remember it. And I loved every last bit of it. When I was doing that, I actually felt like I was part of something with the forums, like there was this appreciated community within it that was doing some good for a wiki a lot of people used. But sadly things tend to change, the people whom I all worked with and became friends with are all since gone and having moved on. I actually still really miss those guys. And other sites that used to be affiliated with the wiki just kind of broke off. It's sad. I actually miss a lot of things here on ZU.

But the thing I miss most of all? I miss there being a wiki community of sorts. I miss seeing quality work go into the wiki and being kept up-to-date. I miss how ZU doesn't seem to care for the Zelda Wiki as much as it once used to, or at least that's how it now looks like to my eyes. It's almost funny. Zelda Wiki has been and is supposed to be a close affiliate of ZU, and to my knowledge they're even owned by the same site owner. ZU is even listed in Zelda Wiki's Community Partners and its news postings are even shared on the wiki's front page. There is also the ZW Contributor banner that is exclusive to these forums, as well as a member group on these forums for wiki staff. People here still also use the ZW as their main source of Zelda info, especially in the theorizing board. Despite this, there is no sense of dedication or even attention to the wiki on the forums or site. I see a couple people in said member group who are now inactive or absent. The website doesn't even link to the wiki anymore ever since it was revamped. That was one of the first things I noticed, and it actually really bothered me. It all honestly feels kind of dead.

It has been nothing short of frustrating and disappointing for me, as well as saddening. I've had a couple of users come to me because they see my contributor banner and ask me things like who's in charge now or how they can get their own banner, and it frustrates me when I have to tell them that I don't know or that I can't help them.

For a wiki that has had a lot of work poured into it, it saddens me that it's not featured more. If you were to look at the Goron article, a quarter of what you would see there was my own work, and I helped to make the article a featured article back when the wiki was still doing those. One major contributor was even the one who brought up the idea of NIWA - the Nintendo Independent Wiki Alliance, and thanks to his efforts ZW is affiliated with many other well known and respected Nintendo wikis like Bulbapedia, Super Mario Wiki, and so on. Unfortunately with the decline of things, I even kind of lost my motivation to contribute there anymore, and I actually feel guilty because of that.

Basically, I want change. I want to see more effort and dedication be put in place in the relation between ZU and ZW. I want to see the wiki more accessible to people, I want there to be more awareness for the wiki, and I want ZU's relation with it to be expanded and improved. I am tired of being quiet and frustrated about this for the past three years that I noticed this decline. And I have a couple of big suggestions to make.

Make a sub-forum dedicated for the Zelda Wiki project

And why not? I think this would be a perfect step in getting people more involved with the wiki and projects into place. I know that the Bulbagarden forums made a board for their own wiki, and it worked pretty well from what I can see as a member there. A wiki sub-forum could be used for the discussion of wiki ideas and proposed projects. It can be used to make announcements, to bring up things for the wiki staff to be more aware of. It can allow for more extensive discussion without having to take things into Talk Pages and clutter them up. It can serve as an introduction for new people who also want to contribute to the wiki. It can help it grow and prosper. And given ZW's relation to ZU, I really think a sub-forum would be beneficial for both.

If section mods are a problem, then just closely work with the ZW staff and make them be section mods. You'd have to be working closely with them anyway, obviously it would be better if the board is monitored by the same people staffed in the wiki. Or just find new people who are also dedicated to the wiki.

On a whole, I believe a sub-forum would make a lot of things between ZW and ZU easier. Ideas, suggestions and projects can be exchanged, members can feel more helpful, and there would be a place to keep all of these things in. I implore that this be seriously considered.

And another thing,

Reduce the edit requirements for the ZW Contributor banner

The ZW Contributor banner is awarded to persons who have made an active contribution to the wiki, it shows their efforts and appreciation for all their hard work, and to me it's also been about incentive for people to contribute to the wiki. I don't really know what happened, but the new requirements for the banner is to make 1000 edits. To me that's too much, and I cannot remember there ever being such a high requirement for the banner before. I don't remember ever having to make that many edits to get my banner, and my userpage states that I have only ever made 600+ edits. When was this changed?

Personally, 1000 edits just sounds way too much. Unless you're making an effort on editing every day, you wouldn't get that far very quickly. It shouldn't be this high of a number, especially when the intention is to give incentive and to award people for their appreciated hard work. 1000 is a lot for wiki editing, and if I saw that, I'd be turned off from attempting to reach that. I suggest that it be lowered down to 200-300, or even just 500. That way people would still have to work hard without having to spam the wiki just to get a banner, but would feel much more motivated to reach it. Motivation is a key in contribution.

But ultimately, what I just want to see most is attention, dedication, and appreciation again. A rework of things. Not for the wiki to be such a tiny project, it deserves to be bigger and to be embraced. It is owned by the same person who also owns ZU, right? I know a lot of people here go to ZU for the community boards than anything Zelda and I know that the wiki has been caught in the middle of website drama before in the past. But I just want to see the wiki grow again. Me and others worked very hard on it, it deserves more.
    • Commander GorMor wrote:

People here still also use the ZW as their main source of Zelda info, especially in the theorizing board.

Actually, I've seen some members in the theorizing board say that ZW is unreliable (but that might just be a stigma of wikis in general) and they don't like to use it. It would help if there were efforts to get it a better reputation so that it could be something universally respected on ZU.

And one more thing that I think should be added is for ZW Staff to get their own banners and have a spot in the Currently Active Users section in the forum index so they'll get more attention.

Oh, and ZW should have a rollover just like ZU does. I know this is easy to implement since I asked for some to be added a few months ago, so if an admin is reading this, adding a "Zelda Wiki" rollover for ZW would be great.
      Currently Playing | Played | Own | Beaten | 100%

LoZ | AoL | ALttP | LA | OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | PH | ST | SS | ALBW

Calime wrote:

What if the Friendzone was part of Demise's Curse?

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Wizard of LoZ ().

• At the moment, I'm invested to help out ZeldaWiki as much as I can. However, I'm still managing my time between summer classes, work and ZU in general. But I can see where you are coming from. Right now, from what I'm best understanding among the staff, we're trying to get a group rebooted, and grow the wiki back from the ground. Activity wise, yeah, it's lacking. A lot of people have come and gone, especially way before my time.

A sub forum sounds like a good idea to get all members alike to work on the project. It especially would help to communicate among the editors and users. But I don't have any control over that; only my interest can help sparked that. It's up to Justin, our current admin over the Wiki, who is doing his hardest to keep the wiki alive (as well as our savior, Jason :P).

As for me, I'm an avid wiki lover. I want a wiki to have up to date information and have a quality appeal to it. That's something I believe what ZeldaWiki is, and can improve to be even more. But also, it does require more willing volunteers. The more help we get, the more we can get done.

I know where you're coming from Commander GorMor, and I appreciate your suggestions!
    • Pardon my long post as well.
      I'll preface this by saying that I'm an active admin on Zelda Wiki, but I can't guarantee any action on behalf of the rest of the staff or the ZU forum staff. That said, I expect that we (the collective staff) will discuss this soon and I look forward to it. Nonetheless, I'll address the points discussed in this thread.

Commander GorMor wrote:

But the thing I miss most of all? I miss there being a wiki community of sorts. I miss seeing quality work go into the wiki and being kept up-to-date.

Commander GorMor wrote:

Basically, I want change. I want to see more effort and dedication be put in place in the relation between ZU and ZW. I want to see the wiki more accessible to people, I want there to be more awareness for the wiki, and I want ZU's relation with it to be expanded and improved. I am tired of being quiet and frustrated about this for the past three years that I noticed this decline. And I have a couple of big suggestions to make.

We are currently trying to improve and build our community, so I feel that this is definitely welcome. We aren't necessarily hurting on awareness (our site statistics are more than generous), but editor retention could certainly be improved.

Commander GorMor wrote:

If section mods are a problem, then just closely work with the ZW staff and make them be section mods. You'd have to be working closely with them anyway, obviously it would be better if the board is monitored by the same people staffed in the wiki. Or just find new people who are also dedicated to the wiki.

On a whole, I believe a sub-forum would make a lot of things between ZW and ZU easier. Ideas, suggestions and projects can be exchanged, members can feel more helpful, and there would be a place to keep all of these things in. I implore that this be seriously considered.

I think this is a good idea. We probably could allocate a few of our resources (people) to aid as mods, but that's up to the ZU forum team. We'd have to work on the finer details together.

I know that I would frequent the proposed section a fair amount, but whether Zelda Wiki staff and (section) moderation rights should be mixed isn't for me to say.

Commander GorMor wrote:

I think this would ultimately be up to the discretion of the ZU forum mods. I don't mind shortening it. 1000 edits shows dedication, which is nice, but a lower standard is fair.

The Wizard of LoZ wrote:

Actually, I've seen some members in the theorizing board say that ZW is unreliable (but that might just be a stigma of wikis in general) and they don't like to use it. It would help if there were efforts to get it a better reputation so that it could be something universally respected on ZU.

I'm quite sure it's stigma, though I'm biased. I'm genuinely interested in hearing legitimate examples from these theorists.
    • Wow! It's excellent to see someone who shares the same goal I do! =D

I'm in charge of managing Zelda Wiki's operations and overseeing its growth, as well as managing Zelda Wiki's IT stuff, and I'm happy to see that you want to help foster a community again. Lord knows we need it.

Now, in response to your points, I can entirely agree that the wiki has seen better days in terms of community. It's an ongoing battle to try to renew the spirit that once existed (and believe me, I miss the feeling of working alongside some of the most dedicated and talented people around back in 09 and 10). Ironically, I worked on the redesign of ZU, and even I haven't noticed that the front page doesn't even link to Zelda Wiki. You can be certain I'll be having a talk with Jason about that.
      It's no secret that Zelda Wiki and Zelda Universe are inexplicable intertwined. Jason owns both sites, and the staff members of ZU work on ZW from time to time.

For your first suggestion, I wholeheartedly agree. I suggested last year that we create a forum for Zelda Wiki but was told that it would be a bad idea or something. Can't remember exactly how it was worded. Instead, it was reduced to a single thread about Zelda Wiki which no one ever saw or posted in. I think it would be great to help bring some of the forum users on here to Zelda Wiki and to get them information on how to contribute and who to contact. And for this reason I support adding a subforum for Zelda Wiki.

As for the second suggestion, I'm going to shock everyone and agree. Lower the required number of edits for the banner. Or revamp the whole thing and give it to editors who show that they are committed to helping the wiki. Why, you ask? Well, I started on Zelda Wiki with the sole intention of getting that banner! (Well, technically I wanted the Zelda Dungeon banner, but that's a story for another day.) And now I'm running operations and administrating the server, plus building new features for the wiki in my own free time.
      It's not a bad thing for someone to want a shiny banner. They may find in the process that they really love the community and the site! That's what happened to me. :P

And Commander GorMor, I encourage you to send anyone with questions about Zelda Wiki to me. I can be reached at justin@zeldawiki.org, or justin@zeldauniverse.net, and I absolutely respond to all emails. I'm here to help, and I will gladly do my best to answer any question anyone may have. Also, I'd love to see you come back to the wiki if you don't still edit. I'm sure we could use your help!

Thanks for making this thread. It actually warms my heart to see that someone else had the initiative to stand up and say something about it. Those are the kind of people I like.

EDIT: And as far as permissions for the ZW forum would go, we would have to talk to Liah about that. I wouldn't mind letting the ZW staff have moderation powers in it, but it will still have to be discussed. I'll be pestering Liah when I see her next anyway because I want to get her take on this. I think she was specifically waiting for me to respond anyway.
      (former) Technical administrator and developer for Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki.
      Want to know more about ZW? Read up!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Justin ZW ().

• 1000 edits is fine. Banners are not easily earned and we want to prevent people from editing the Wiki for the sole reason of getting a shiny new banner and then dumping the site as that would fill the Wiki with awful, awful articles written by rushed people.

With a 1000 edits we at least know the user has plenty of time to start actually giving a damn about Zelda Wiki.

The Wizard of LoZ wrote:

Nonsense, that stigma is against every Wiki and not because people believe Wikis are bad.

The reason is that plenty of theorists forget to cite their sources. A Wiki is a place where all important information is summed up in a readable format and more importantly, a place where the sources to all important pieces of info are listed.
      However, you can't just quote directly from the article and expect that to be a valid argument; only the source is canon.
      That's not Zelda Wiki's fault; that's the fault of people who don't understand Wikis.

Either that or you got mixed up with Zeldapedia, which is a pretty bad source.

As for who looks after the forum, Zelda Section mods should be able to take care of it, as extensive Zelda knowledge is a big bonus for both sections.

However I like the idea of Zelda Wiki staff modding it even more. The Zelda Section mods have the busiest section out there, might be good to spread out that workload.

My question is, though, is it feasible to devote a new forum to this? And would it go in the Zelda Section or the Community Section?
      The reason I ask whether or not it's feasible is because most threads I can think of would be better suited for the "Talk" pages of the Wiki.

Partial signature credit to Eternalegend

The post was edited 4 times, last by gamtos ().

• gamtos wrote:

1000 edits is fine. Banners are not easily earned and we want to prevent people from editing the Wiki for the sole reason of getting a shiny new banner and then dumping the site as that would fill the Wiki with awful, awful articles written by rushed people.

With a 1000 edits we at least know the user has plenty of time to start actually giving a damn about Zelda Wiki.

With all due respect, that attitude is incredibly backwards. Having anything written is a big boon. It gets people contributing, and when they contribute, they learn how to be better. You can't expect them to kick ass from day one. I didn't know anything about editing wikis when I first started. Some of my first contributions were incredibly stupid. In fact, you can ask just about any of the admins and they'll all tell you the same thing: "We were noobs, too."
      Plus, added activity inspires others to contribute. I've seen it in my five years at the wiki. People tend to edit more when they see that they aren't alone.

My question is, though, is it feasible to devote a new forum to this? And would it go in the Zelda Section or the Community Section?
      The reason I ask whether or not it's feasible is because most threads I can think of would be better suited for the "Talk" pages of the Wiki.

Actually, I could foresee a lot of meta questions about the site. Plus, it would also help give people a place to privately contact an administrator if there was an issue with another editor or something.
      (former) Technical administrator and developer for Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki.
    • Justin ZW wrote:

With all due respect, that attitude is incredibly backwards. Having anything written is a big boon. It gets people contributing, and when they contribute, they learn how to be better. You can't expect them to kick ass from day one. I didn't know anything about editing wikis when I first started. Some of my first contributions were incredibly stupid. In fact, you can ask just about any of the admins and they'll all tell you the same thing: "We were noobs, too."
      Plus, added activity inspires others to contribute. I've seen it in my five years at the wiki. People tend to edit more when they see that they aren't alone.

Hmm, a fair point. You're the proper authority on this particular field so I guess you're right.

Actually, I could foresee a lot of meta questions about the site. Plus, it would also help give people a place to privately contact an administrator if there was an issue with another editor or something.

A valid point, privacy is rather difficult in Wiki format.
      That having been said, would there be enough meta questions to warrant their own forum rather than a Q&A?

Partial signature credit to Eternalegend
    • gamtos wrote:

A valid point, privacy is rather difficult in Wiki format.
      That having been said, would there be enough meta questions to warrant their own forum rather than a Q&A?

I would think it a forum would be better for organization. Besides meta questions, I don't necessarily think that people would always have to use talk pages. Sometimes people may just see something on the wiki about think "Oh no way! Is that true?!" so they could come here and ask about that to get confirmation.

If manpower is the issue, then let my team take care of moderating it. I'll keep it open as a regular tab if need be. I'd really love to see this happen, because I'm sure it would help bring in some attention. We really need more contributors, and I think a subforum on Zelda Universe would be a big boost to us. As Chocoroko said, we're trying to rebuild this thing from the ground up, and I want as much help as I can get.
    • With all due respect, that attitude is incredibly backwards. Having anything written is a big boon. It gets people contributing, and when they contribute, they learn how to be better. You can't expect them to kick ass from day one. I didn't know anything about editing wikis when I first started. Some of my first contributions were incredibly stupid. In fact, you can ask just about any of the admins and they'll all tell you the same thing: "We were noobs, too."

As true as that is, I think gamtos was getting more at the sense that while it is good to be active in a community, there are people that will join things just to get the shiny banners, and then not do anything with them afterwards or commit to the job they've commited to which allowed them to get that banner in the first place. And we -have- had jobs like that before here on ZU where that was an issue - people would ask for the job to get the banner, and then would go completely inactive with their job and it would be clear they just wanted the banner. Because banners are shiny.

Maybe reduce the edit cap to say, 100/300/500 or so, but don't make it that they just maybe fix a spelling error or move a sentence or something and get the banner. That doesn't reflect activity in or dedication to ZW; that just reflects users wanting the easy way out to get a shiny new thing. There still needs to be some sort of quality and activity control.

That's all I'm saying on that cause I know the admins are discussing it behind the scenes! *poofs*
    • Just caught up with the posts here. Thank you for the support everyone! And Jason I think got most of my points down already with the banner and forum.

I still believe that 1000 edits is by far too much for the banner. I realize the intention is to make quality posts, but even if you were to make the best and most informative article ever that everyone would love and praise, it would at most still only get you a dozen or so edits in. The banner's requirements should be looked from within the perspective of an editor. Unless you are an editor yourself, it's kind of hard to know what it's like to be an editor.

Edit: @Uzuki: I'm not saying you should get the banner just for one simple edit. By all means, make people work for it, but not strain themselves.

And while talk pages do certainly exist for discussion, the problem with them is that keep a constant log as with any other article and can get very cluttered and disorganized very fast, especially the more active ones. A sub-forum at the least could help alleviate this with more extensive discussion. And other examples of uses I listed.

And,

gamtos wrote:

However, you can't just quote directly from the article and expect that to be a valid argument; only the source is canon.
      That's not Zelda Wiki's fault; that's the fault of people who don't understand Wikis.

Wikis can have info cited, something a lot of people tend to forget. When I was editing with the group of guys, we made sure to include info citations wherever possible. When I added the bit that Gorons are implied to drink milk, I added the game's quote on that in the citations. They're there to back up info, and in that way can make the wiki more reliable.

Although I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Commander GorMor ().

• Commander GorMor wrote:

I've had a couple of users come to me because they see my contributor banner and ask me things like who's in charge now or how they can get their own banner, and it frustrates me when I have to tell them that I don't know or that I can't help them.

I don't really use the forums so I have no idea about the latter. However, if anyone asks you the former in the future, the answer is Justin.

And why not? I think this would be a perfect step in getting people more involved with the wiki and projects into place. I know that the Bulbagarden forums made a board for their own wiki, and it worked pretty well from what I can see as a member there. A wiki sub-forum could be used for the discussion of wiki ideas and proposed projects. It can be used to make announcements, to bring up things for the wiki staff to be more aware of. It can allow for more extensive discussion without having to take things into Talk Pages and clutter them up. It can serve as an introduction for new people who also want to contribute to the wiki. It can help it grow and prosper. And given ZW's relation to ZU, I really think a sub-forum would be beneficial for both.

As someone who is both a Bulbapedia and Zelda Wiki staff member, I feel like I can offer significant insight into this.

I dislike the idea of adding a separate subforum on Zelda Universe about Zelda Wiki. Zelda Wiki just recently merged the two discussion hubs, "Milk Bar" and "Hyrule Castle", into the "Discussion Center" due to needlessly dividing discussion across two pages. Creating a subforum would simply be reversing that.

Particularly, there's a problem with having wiki discussions on a separate forum because there are different accounts. On Bulbapedia, we've had issues with people banned on the wiki contributing to discussions on the wiki forum (sometimes under the same name, sometimes different ones - now we just ban them from that forum in particular), as well as people banned on the forums but active on the wiki being unable to take part in discussions relevant to the wiki.

My counter-suggestion is a pseudo-subforum link to the Discussion Center (like Forum Rules here). When we enable anonymous editing (as we are planning to do) the account barrier that would normally prevent people from commenting there will be gone. This makes it prominent on ZU for forum-goers to see, but keeps ZW discussion on the wiki itself where ZW editors will expect to find it.

1000 edits is a lot. I have a grand total of 3000 on ZW, and it is very unusual for me to get more than 1000 edits in a month on Bulbapedia. I'm not really that familiar with the banner system, but it sounds like a decent idea.
    • But do people use the Milk Bar/Hyrule Castle? Has it actually been used and optimized for the wiki? I have to admit, this is the first time I'm actually hearing of this, and that's not a good thing, because places for discussions should be more in the open and known. I've looked at other wiki forums before and not all of them were particularly active or used. While you do make valid points about cons over a sub-forum, I still don't see it as a bad idea. For one, the wiki would be more open to people here, and there are more people who use ZU than ZW, thus it again could help to generate more interest in the wiki. Likewise, it can be a place to announce topics and plans to the forum, which is more likely to be noticed out here than on the wiki forums. Further more, it is also a means of connecting ZU and ZW, something I think both are needing.

And it's not like you would have to get rid of the Milk Bar/Hyrule Town in favor of a sub-forum. I don't see a problem with there being both.

Also, would anonymous discussion editing be wise? I can see that making the Discussion Center the target of easy spam and bot editing.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Commander GorMor ().

• gamtos wrote:

1000 edits is fine. Banners are not easily earned and we want to prevent people from editing the Wiki for the sole reason of getting a shiny new banner and then dumping the site as that would fill the Wiki with awful, awful articles written by rushed people.

I know you've already changed your mind about this, but one thing I'd like to know is how many people have received the contributor banner since the requirement was bumped up. I'm assuming admins have access to this. I wouldn't be surprised if the number went down over the years.
      Nonsense, that stigma is against every Wiki and not because people believe Wikis are bad.

The reason is that plenty of theorists forget to cite their sources. A Wiki is a place where all important information is summed up in a readable format and more importantly, a place where the sources to all important pieces of info are listed.

But wouldn't it be great if you could just quote the wiki? The sources are all there, so it's not just random stuff. And yes, you could just cite the sources themselves.
      Either that or you got mixed up with Zeldapedia, which is a pretty bad source.

Nah, I stopped using it once I joined this place because I felt like ZW was preferred/more acceptable.

Having a sub-forum on ZU would get people interested in what ZW is without having to visit it first.
      Currently Playing | Played | Own | Beaten | 100%

LoZ | AoL | ALttP | LA | OoT | MM | OoS | OoA | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | PH | ST | SS | ALBW

Calime wrote:

What if the Friendzone was part of Demise's Curse?

• I'd like to add a comment from the ZU side of things. For those that don't know (which is probably everyone), I'm the "Guide Editor" at ZU - which means I'm in charge of our guides and walkthroughs.

As others have said, the Wiki have seen better days. We're working very hard to make all of that change in the future. Commander GorMor pointed out that ZU no longer links to ZW (since the redesign), and it's not clear that the two sites are connected. This is very true, but it was never intended.

While planning the redesign, Zelda Wiki was a core part of what we were planning, and it is still a core part of what we're planning for the future. Unfortunately, a lot of the things we had planned for the initial launch had to be postponed for later, but it's all still happening as we speak!

I can't say a whole lot right now, but here's what I will say: In the near future, no one will question that ZU and ZW are a team. Zelda Wiki is the best source of Legend of Zelda information on the Internet (thanks to hundreds of contributors over the last 8 years), and we intend to use take complete advantage of this fantastic resource.
      Joshua, Zelda Universe Content Director

How can I make Zelda Universe better for you? Let me know!

Follow me on Twitter: @WatcherJoshua