Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Missed Opportunities in the Series
    • As much as I love Twilight Princess, I really would have liked to see a serious bow mini-game, such as shooting galleries and horseback archery, as well as something along the lines of the Poe hunting side-quest in Ocarina of Time. Also, the Spinner is one of those items that had a lot of mini-game potential, so it was a disappointment to see that it was only used for two heart pieces in the overworld.
    • While Wind Waker was remade on the Wii U, and is still a great remake, I thought a remake on the Wii would be acceptable. There could have been even more innovated game play mechanics, such as using the Wiimote as a Wind Waker. That, my dear friends, is every little kids' dream: to feel like a real composer in the flesh. Well, all kids who are crazy for Wind Waker or Zelda in general.
    • Chocoroko wrote:

While Wind Waker was remade on the Wii U, and is still a great remake, I thought a remake on the Wii would be acceptable. There could have been even more innovated game play mechanics, such as using the Wiimote as a Wind Waker. That, my dear friends, is every little kids' dream: to feel like a real composer in the flesh. Well, all kids who are crazy for Wind Waker or Zelda in general.

I doubt it. Mainly because using the Wiimote as a metronome in Skyward Sword was also terrible.

(Besides, its never been a dream of mine, especially since I've actually done it)
    • Honestly, both mainline games after WW have been missed opportunities galore. SS in particular was far more ambitious, and that's why it's the biggest missed opportunity yet, as it never realized the potential of its premise. TP, in comparison, kept it simple and didn't try innovate or do anything spectacular other than a solid good game, and while I enjoyed SS more because of vanity and novelty, TP was far more successful in what it tried to do.

Post by Ganon Vader ().

This post was deleted by the author themselves ().
    • The fact that they didn't include more wearable masks that were also important to the central plot in MM. That really bummed me out that you only used like, what was it, four masks? to beat the game.
      “I don’t understand how people… live. It’s amazing to me that people wake up every morning and say: ‘Yeah, another day, let’s do it.’ How do people do it? I don’t know how.”

Current Interests: Getting through tomorrow

Din Clan Resident Historian 2016!!!! :moon:
    • If you wanna talk about missed opportunities, why don't we all just look on over at this one;

This was a huge opportunity miss IMO.

Seriously could have fixed the lack of Princess Zelda problem right up for me. Who needs Princess Zelda when there's some other cutesy face for Link to love right?

I know this is implied, but really? This entire quest in the game is majorly mishandled from start to finish.
    • WW should have had a "second adventure" where you explore the Old Hyrule.

The sky in Skyward Sword simply felt unfinished. It should have been like Wind Waker with a Z axis. People would have been more forgiving of the segmented land over-world if the sky had satisfied our thirst for exploration. Huge missed opportunity. There should have been at least one legitimate dungeon up there aside from Sky Keep.

Sticking with Skyward Sword, I wish the Great Tree had been a full dungeon. And I wish the Faron Woods "Song of the Hero" quest had been completely scrapped for something different, preferably another dungeon.

A couple more with Skyward Sword: the Sky Keep should have had a true boss. Would have been a good spot for an Iron Knuckle. Furthermore, Volvagia should have been the boss of the Fire Sanctuary. He was a perfect aesthetic fit and it would have been a pleasing and well-fitting OoT reference. Since Volvagia is known to burrow, they easily could have worked in the Mole Mitts or even a meta-game of Whack a mole. They easily could have put Ghirahim round 3 somewhere else.

Gr, I want to like Skyward Sword, but it had so many half-baked ideas, and parts of the game just feel bare-bones to me.

Twilight Princess should have done more with the horse. No horse race? No horseback archery? Only, like, 2 instances of horseback combat? No gate or valley to unrealistically leap over? Given the pre-release hype about the horse, I was shocked that none of these ideas or worthwhile alternatives were in the game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bill ().

• Every remake so far has been a wasted opportunity if you ask me.

MM is the only remake so far that actually tried to change things around a little bit, and still they were mostly "just" changes rather than improvements, or added content, you're still playing graphically improved N64 title in the end.

Why not improve the basic gameplay? Just moving your character around and using your sword feels clunky in comparison to games like Twilight Princess, where everything just flows better. Or what about the music? Why do the outdated 64-bit graphics need to be updated, but not the midi sound effects and music? They don't have to change the composition, just record the themes as-is with real instruments taking the place of the old midi stuff.

And then there's TWW HD... Most people would say that this game looks far better than the original, and I agree to a certain extent. The colors look more impressive, and the real time shadows are fantastic. But they completely murdered the cel-shading and it's no longer true to the vision of the original game, which was made to look as if you were playing a cartoon. But what bugs me is the massive graphical overhaul the gave to both OoT and MM which is not present here. And this is the part where I'm going to get "but TWW doesn't need to be improved, it's graphics are perfect and have not even aged at all!", which I couldn't disagree with more.

Characters are extremely low-poly for today's standards, and the scenery is still extremely simplistic in that it's mostly just flat details on a plane. Imagine the rocks and cliffs being actually shaped like rocks instead of being spheres with detailed rock patterns. Or having actual grass rather than a simple green floor. Or how about the water, which I'm pretty sure I read was originally made blue and opaque just so they wouldn't have to render extra details below it? This is a far more powerful system than the gamecube, they can do a lot of stuff that they couldn't have done back in the day. But they didn't, and if that's not a missed opportunity, I don't know what is.

Take a look at this thing, every time I see it, I can't help but to feel like this is what TWW HD should have looked like:

Picture that with colors you'd find in TWW (mostly make the grass greener) and you'll probably understand what I wanted to see out of that remake.

And most importantly... Where's the new content? Not even MM tried adding anything new to the game, and that's seriously just dissapointing and the biggest reason I haven't purchased any of these things. An extra bonus dungeon would have been just perfect on each of these things.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Khao ().