Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    • Feedback
    The New Zelda Universe
    • We actually have a custom 404 page all done up nice by EL. Here it is:



      You might wonder why the heck we have such cryptic error messages on the site right now if we went through all the trouble to make that page. Well, turns out that our production server doesn't like the 404 page we made and won't display it. So, fuck.

      You can expect that to be fixed soon and for error messages to display nicely.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by GoldenChaos ().

    • Nielyboyken wrote:

      Weird. :P

      Normally you have to upload your custom error page (404.html for example) in public_html and then add this in your .htaccess file (also in public_html) ErrorDocument 404 /404.html

      Where 404.html is your uploaded 404 file. :)

      Yeah, you'd expect that. Unfortunately, due to how we have our server set up (using a special caching mechanism that enables the site to run smoothly across cloud servers), it will not render our HTML file. This means we need to figure out some weird, likely complex workaround. If you're interested, this special mechanism is known as Varnish Cache, and it seriously fucks with apache. It's also the thing that (formerly) caused Wordpress admin bars to appear for normal users on the main site, though we fixed that for the new ZU.

      If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go bash my head against my keyboard now in celebration of the wonders that is Varnish Cache.

      kllkbhdfbasfnb;jwkjsafkjasfkjba;fvnbjvasnjvjjns

      The post was edited 4 times, last by GoldenChaos ().

    • ^That looks like a head-breaking work. :/
      I personally use CloudFlare to run my sites smoothly (and indirect Ddos protection).
      It works out well, however I don't know sure if the free version works for bigger sites like ZU too.

      The only problem I had with CloudFlare was disappearing JavaScript, but disabling RocketLoader fixed it.

      Good Luck though! :)
    • Is there anyway we can add some kind of menu or drop down menu for Reviews we have done in the past, like TWWHD and ALBW? It would be pretty awesome to have access to those and read them over again. ALBW, before T3, was still like the "feature" story at the top.

      Same with our interview with Aonuma. Maybe some kind of menu, somewhere, for high profile features like a review of this nature (with Aonuma) and our reviews? I know right now there may not be many, but these are the kind of stories that I'd actually want to go back to and read again and again and again.
    • Momo wrote:

      Is there anyway we can add some kind of menu or drop down menu for Reviews we have done in the past, like TWWHD and ALBW? It would be pretty awesome to have access to those and read them over again. ALBW, before T3, was still like the "feature" story at the top.

      Same with our interview with Aonuma. Maybe some kind of menu, somewhere, for high profile features like a review of this nature (with Aonuma) and our reviews? I know right now there may not be many, but these are the kind of stories that I'd actually want to go back to and read again and again and again.


      I actually really like that idea, and totally agree. Consider it considered.
    • What I thought about instantly were just the Aonuma interview, the ALBW review, and the WWHD review. I think we'll also have some amazing features and reviews like those in the future, but especially the Aonuma interview, I love to go back and read over it. It was huge for ZU at the time, and still is. As time goes on we may have some more reviews and huge interviews, I don't know, but those really stand out to me as things I would like to be able to go back and read.

      Thanks for hearing out all suggestions Jason!
    • I know you've already talked about ad placement, but my problem with it is the fact that the space is so large for the ad at the top. I get that Google said it would probably be best placed there, but to me it detracts from the space for stickied articles. IMO, the stickied articles should be at the top of the page regardless. The first time I loaded up T3 I clicked on the ad before I even realized it was one.

      So, that is the only one I care about. The vertical one further down the page is fine to me, and if you could just find a better place for the one at the top it would improve the layout drastically, IMO.
    • It's just occurred to me that I don't fully understand the layout of the articles. The tiles at the top don't appear to be the most recent articles, which is confusing.

      I've also looked over the guides section and realised it's quite lacking. Most games only have video guides (which are shaky anyway, as they're just Let's Plays, of which are often named in such a way that finding a specific section is difficult, though I understand the naming is down to the YouTuber, not ZU), with only 3 games having text guides for the main game. Some don't even have guides at all. Hell, A Link to the Past only has a guide for Pieces of Heart o_o So yeah, while the site looks great and all, some more content in the guides section would be wonderful :)

      Post by death. ().

      The post was deleted, no further information is available.
    • Y'know, my little brother just got an Acer tablet like, last week. I might just borrow it for a moment to check out ZU on there and see how it functions with a touch screen (so far I've only been using it on my PC and it's alright but it definitely seems optimized for tablets/phones/touchscreen devices).

      At the top, features and stickies are in the boxes. As far as the rest, I am pretty sure that there's some kind of algorithm that places articles in there based on popularity.


      If it were based on popularity, that would make sense. I would kind of prefer it being by newest (so that you see newest articles first, which most people would be looking for anyway) but I can see the popularity set-up being convenient too (it would just be a tad of a nuisance to see a popular article that you've already seen a million times (ex. something like the Zelda minecraft world article would be super popular lol) come up at the top above the newer articles you'd prefer reading because they're, you know, newer lol).

      so brb gonna go test it out on a tablet now :3nod

      EDIT:

      Okay, tried it out on the tablet.

      Likes:

      - Looks good on the tablet. Really smooth appearance. Squeaky-clean, much pretty, wow.

      - Pretty good for the touchscreen considering all the articles are in box-format. Very open and easy to access via touch, no tiny links, etc.

      Dislikes:

      - This is probably an issue with the tablet I was using, but stuff was teeny haha Not so much with the article headlines, those were mostly fine, but stuff at the top (like the Guides menu and forum button) and some things below that weren't article headlines were teeny-tiny. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with zooming, of course, but mehs.

      - Still feels kinda cluttered, especially what I'm assuming are the stickied headlines above in the big box area (lol). Just a lot of text per box so all the text kind of just melted into itself and punched me in the face O__o"

      - I don't know if anyone else had this so for now I'm assuming it's my tablet's fault, but I had lots of troubles scrolling through it. It wasn't smooth scrolling at ALL, just kind of lag-jumped and danced all the way down like it was having some kind of webpage seizure. But like I said, I don't know if anyone's said anything about this yet, so for now I'm assuming it's just my own tablet being silly :p

      That's all for now, most of my opinions here are the same opinions I had before trying it out on a tablet. I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I mostly like the appearance of it, but said appearance definitely looks much better on a tablet/touchscreen device.

      Meep.
      i'll just be on my way.

      The post was edited 4 times, last by death. ().

    • If it were based on popularity, that would make sense. I would kind of prefer it being by newest (so that you see newest articles first, which most people would be looking for anyway) but I can see the popularity set-up being convenient too (it would just be a tad of a nuisance to see a popular article that you've already seen a million times (ex. something like the Zelda minecraft world article would be super popular lol) come up at the top above the newer articles you'd prefer reading because they're, you know, newer lol).


      On the flip side, if something's popular, and someone has missed out on it, it's right there at the forefront. It's not like you can't scroll down just a little bit and bam, there it is.

      I was using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 inch and had no issues scrolling. Just saying the exact type of tablet I was using with my experiences. Actually looks great on there imo.
    • Momo wrote:

      On the flip side, if something's popular, and someone has missed out on it, it's right there at the forefront. It's not like you can't scroll down just a little bit and bam, there it is.


      True, true. I feel it works either way, with downsides for both, but upsides as well.

      I wonder if it would be possible to create an option between "most popular" and "newest to oldest" for users to set for their own preferences? I don't know how possible it would be with the sort of set-up the front page has (cause it's not just a simple list of stuff lol) but if there was some way to add that function in, that would be kinda nice for users that would prefer the newest to oldest format over the popularity format, or vice versa :3nod

      But like I said, don't know if it's possible or not lol I have no idea how the front page is programmed or how flexible it would be with that kinda stuff :p

      I was using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 inch and had no issues scrolling. Just saying the exact type of tablet I was using with my experiences. Actually looks great on there imo.


      My little bro's is an Acer. Not quite sure of the dimensions, although it's definitely smaller than 10 inches (I think; I sorta just eyeball'ed it lol). It's nothing fancy either - we got it on sale for $80 at a pharmacy in town :p So it's probably the tablet xD"
    • Spagh wrote:

      I've also looked over the guides section and realised it's quite lacking. Most games only have video guides (which are shaky anyway, as they're just Let's Plays, of which are often named in such a way that finding a specific section is difficult, though I understand the naming is down to the YouTuber, not ZU), with only 3 games having text guides for the main game. Some don't even have guides at all. Hell, A Link to the Past only has a guide for Pieces of Heart o_o So yeah, while the site looks great and all, some more content in the guides section would be wonderful :)

      Sadly, we only have so much time to work on each release, and that causes us to pick and choose the most important things to work on. Of course, that doesn't mean other things won't come in due time... ;)

      Uzuki Cheverie wrote:

      If it were based on popularity, that would make sense. I would kind of prefer it being by newest (so that you see newest articles first, which most people would be looking for anyway) but I can see the popularity set-up being convenient too (it would just be a tad of a nuisance to see a popular article that you've already seen a million times (ex. something like the Zelda minecraft world article would be super popular lol) come up at the top above the newer articles you'd prefer reading because they're, you know, newer lol).

      We actually wrote our own algorithms to detect popular stories. We also have checks in place to make sure one story doesn't appear up top for too long.

      Uzuki Cheverie wrote:

      I wonder if it would be possible to create an option between "most popular" and "newest to oldest" for users to set for their own preferences? I don't know how possible it would be with the sort of set-up the front page has (cause it's not just a simple list of stuff lol) but if there was some way to add that function in, that would be kinda nice for users that would prefer the newest to oldest format over the popularity format, or vice versa :3nod

      But like I said, don't know if it's possible or not lol I have no idea how the front page is programmed or how flexible it would be with that kinda stuff :p

      The only part of the layout that shows popular stories, as opposed to chronological stories, is the top area where we have the darker boxes with large titles. Right now, that's seven boxes. Everything else underneath is chronological (left to right, and top to bottom, like how you'd read a book). So I think we're already doing what you're asking for!

      The post was edited 1 time, last by GoldenChaos ().

    • Jason wrote:

      We actually wrote our own algorithms to detect popular stories. We also have checks in place to make sure one story doesn't appear up top for too long.


      That kinda works then lol And does answer one of my main concerns of popular stories being up too long and overshadowing the new stuff :p

      The only part of the layout that shows popular stories, as opposed to chronological stories, is the top area where we have the darker boxes with large titles. Right now, that's seven boxes. Everything else underneath is chronological (left to right, and top to bottom, like how you'd read a book). So I think we're already doing what you're asking for!


      OOH okay that makes sense xD Thank you for answering that > w <