Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Nintendo Girls Club: Smart marketing or totally sexist
    • I'm generally repulsed by things like this, but that's more due to me not being anywhere close to the target demographic than anything inherently wrong with the marketing.

However, they could have put more effort into choosing their actresses or portraying how they acted. To me they really come off as aloof and not caring about the product.
    • I suppose I see it more as targeting a very specific demographic within non-gamer girls. Of course these type of girls exist, especially in late Elementary to Middle School. Most of them grow out of it by the time they hit 14 or 15, but let's not pretend that these "girly girls" don't exist. I just doubt that this type of marketing will actually reach them.
    • Eh, I don't really care. I kinda look at some of the games listed on that video as "Gateway Games", a way to get people more interested in gaming by slowly introducing them to new concepts. You might start with animal crossing and end up with Devil May Cry, but you at least have to pick up a game to get there.

I highly doubt it will bring in more customers, but at least Nintendo isn't telling girls to stay in the kitchen or to stop playing games because that's what MEN do.
      Property of Team Valor
      3DS Friend Code: 4141-3440-1639
    • NeonGreenSheep wrote:

I highly doubt it will bring in more customers, but at least Nintendo isn't telling girls to stay in the kitchen or to stop playing games because that's what MEN do.

Ugh, generalize much? This isn't the early 20th century anymore. If anything the men who do that are in the very vast minority. More women go to college then men. So the whole "woman stay in the kitchen" idea isn't very much alive anymore, except perhaps in small pockets.
    • B Sheazy wrote:

Do kids that young have smartphones and/or browse the web unattended?

You would be surprised. I seem to see more younger kids with smartphones the more years pass by.

That or their parents toss them their smartphone to get them to shut up about something.

But there are older "girly girls". I know this one girl my little brother is friends with and goes to school with is a very "girly girl".
    • Momo wrote:

Ugh, generalize much? This isn't the early 20th century anymore. If anything the men who do that are in the very vast minority. More women go to college then men. So the whole "woman stay in the kitchen" idea isn't very much alive anymore, except perhaps in small pockets.

Frankly, I live in one of those "pockets", and we still get paid less than men, live in more poverty than men, and are still treated as sub-par humans in many continents on earth. You can't go to one social site and find someone who isn't telling girls to stay in the kitchen, it is a popular slogan on t-shirts, and a lot of games go out of their way to alienate women to make men feel more macho. Colleges will take a b average boy over an a average girl to keep "diversity balance" , and women are still getting smacked in the face with the glass ceiling.

The stay in the kitchen mentality is very much alive.
      Property of Team Valor

The post was edited 1 time, last by NeonGreenSheep ().

• You're taking issues like equal pay and equating it with the "stay in the kitchen" slogan, which is a fallacy. It's not the same thing.

Sub-par humans? Some cultures actually treat women better than men, or at least, at a higher standard where they are actually the leaders in a community. Poverty? There are plenty of men who live in poverty and in debt.

This is about trying to market video games and make them more accessible to the tween market. It has nothing to do with these kind of social issues as you claim. Frankly there is a market for these games. You may not like the games or agree with them, but there are people who enjoy them.

also, this:

Colleges will take a b average boy over an a average girl to keep "diversity balance" , and women are still getting smacked in the face with the glass ceiling.

That is flat out not true. But this isn't the place for a discussion like this. This is a discussion about Nintendo's new channel to market towards casual gamers who are young girls.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Momo ().

• Momo wrote:

You're taking issues like equal pay and equating it with the "stay in the kitchen" slogan, which is a fallacy. It's not the same thing.

Sub-par humans? Some cultures actually treat women better than men, or at least, at a higher standard where they are actually the leaders in a community. Poverty? There are plenty of men who live in poverty and in debt.

This is about trying to market video games and make them more accessible to the tween market. It has nothing to do with these kind of social issues as you claim. Frankly there is a market for these games. You may not like the games or agree with them, but there are people who enjoy them.

Stay in the kitchen is degrading. Non-equal pay is degrading. Poverty is degrading. It oppresses women.

Digression from main topic
      Display Spoiler
      "Around the world, 2/3 of the poorest adults are women, and even though women produce more than two thirds of food in the world." Our Social World, Condensed Version, Second Edition Page 139.

Women are in more poverty than men are.

7 ridiculous restrictions on women’s rights around the world

Yes, there are places where women and men are in equal standing, but there are plenty more that are not.

Colleges will accept a less qualified male over a more qualified female.

Colleges Lowering Bar To Get More--males? - Chicago Tribune

And the Glass Ceiling still exists.

Are Women Still Hitting the Glass Ceiling? - Technorati Technorati Women

There is nothing wrong with the games portrayed in the video. There is a market for them and that is great. I think Nintendo has the right idea to expand their market, but I felt this was the wrong demographic to pander to. I just don't feel there will be much interest in the channel.

Edit: I agree with Florina Laufeyson. While I don't think it will expand the revenue that much, I am glad to see the diversity and scope of the games presented and they were shown in a positive light.
      Property of Team Valor

The post was edited 1 time, last by NeonGreenSheep ().

• Omg. How is this a bad thing at all? I watched that video and my heart sung. Why? Cuz its showcasing a wide range of games! You get some puzzle games, Mario, Animal Crossing, Style Savvy, Nintendogs, etc. All these games that are easily accessible for a demographic thats been underrepresented by gaming in general, or in an almost demeaning way. Its important to look at the games in the video more than that its showcasing for girls. The video is saying "Hey girls aged 5-13, guess what! Mario is cool fucken beans! Pokemanz!!!! Look at the cute puppies! Puzzle games! Games for you!"
      How is this bad?! Oh thats right, its not. Its kinda awesome actually. This is showing that gaming can be a comfortable hobby for a young girl, and helps shatter that demographic gender barrier. You know the one. Its also showing that cheesy Barbie games are not the only option for little girls who want to play video games.

I just doubt that this type of marketing will actually reach them.

This is the only hurdle im seeing. Nintendo has to cleverly place these adverts and video channels where girls can see them. If a little girl has a 3DS already, having it show up in the Nintendo Video app thingy could work.

Badges and Awards

Voted: Coolest Member, Most Likely To Win The Lottery, Most Likely To Take Over The World, Best at GIFs, and Could be Related To [Moriquendi] in Farore Awards.

• KingOfHeart wrote:

Do the Majority of Female Gamers say Tanooki Mario is cute?
      How about use some real hard core female gamers in some of these videos.
      These females didn't even seem that interested in the games, just the money.

They chose casual gamers because they wanted to market towards those who don't already play. Video games are for everyone, that's why there are multiple genre. If some girls like to play the cutesy games over more complicated games, who is that harming? Nothing wrong with being a girly girl and simply having fun playing shopping games. And yes, I say Tanooki Mario is cute every time. :DD