Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Nintendo
Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • Draw distances and pop-in is still pretty bad even with the data packs. I have all but one of them installed and I still notice things appearing from nothing, high-resolution textures only loading well after I'm close to objects, and even characters appearing after I already ran past their location. The problem is at its worst with Skells, sometimes I'm standing right in front of one for several seconds and they have like... Almost no textures. Just color. Though I think that's the data pack I'm missing.

    But if that's what it gets for the framerate to be this stable, I'm not complaining.

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Khao ().

  • BloodRawKnuckle wrote:

    I'd sooner call it micromanage-heavy than tactical. With Chronicles, I never felt like there was any worth to half the characters in combat after a certain point in the story


    For the record, you can use everyone except Sharla and Reyn in cool and effective ways. For instance, I didn't even use [spoiler character Seven] against the Superbosses - I used Riki instead, which sacrificed DPS for healing/support and was generally a "safer" choice. Contrast that with XCX, I rarely felt that any of the characters had any unique "worth" to them in combat, as long as they could sponge a bit of the aggro and stay alive while I just did my own thing on the side. In fact, having a party that did not output mad damage was directly beneficial to me - it meant that there were more enemies with which to farm TP. For the entire story I didn't give a care about my party makeup, and now it seems that even Superbosses can be solo'd in this game. I honestly don't understand the notion that XB1's characters felt like they had less "worth" in combat than XCX's characters.

    inb4 BUT YOU USED INFINITE OVERDRIVE: it's really not hard to do, and the class chain I happened to start off with (before knowing anything about Overdrive) gets equipped with all the necessary Arts and Skills to make Infinite Overdrive literally easier than regular combat, if a bit more frantic.

    ---

    Both games are pretty micromanage-heavy, but in XCX much of it feels like "hollow micromanaging". When I say that XB1 felt more "tactical", it's because you had to put a bit of thought into your "gameplan" for reacting to certain things (e.g. Dunban and Reyn each have one mediocre response to a lethal Ether attack, so you need to think about who else is in your team that can help you deal with that e.g. Melia or Seven, if you don't have Monado Armour), and when you DID have to react to certain things, your combat options tripled. When your Party Gauge was full, your options also tripled, but you had to weigh the costs/benefits of using a Chain Attack.

    And what was cool (and added to the whole "tactical" thing) was that you could have "backup plans" (because the Party Gauge and the Monado would often be used for other things). Dunban's Jaws of Death is on cooldown and Shulk is dead? Warn Riki to increase Party Gauge so he can revive you immediately after you die. In XCX, literally all you can do is wait for a Soul Voice. There are no gameplans for dealing with specific types of threat if they pop up in battle, there are no backup plans. And that's one thing I really miss from XB1.

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Double A ().

  • You were adopted wrote:


    You can do something like this by telling your party to build up tension when you're low on health.


    It's not really "immediate". Those battle commands are more along the lines of "prioritize certain Arts when they're available!" rather than "please use this specific Art right now". And it takes a bit of time to build up to 3000TP anyway. You can't really use it as an immediate response to a specific situation.

    TBH if one party member is doing Infinite Overdrive, there's really no point in NOT telling your party to keep their Tension up. If your party uses stronger TP moves then they take out more enemies, making it slightly harder for you to farm TP. Or maybe you want multiple teammates in Overdrive. The reason I didn't keep doing that was that I always forgot.

    Keep in mind, Riki's Happy Happy is one option. You have access to 27 (34 if using Shulk) during a Vision, and 24 during a Chain Attack. In that situation, what might I do if Riki was dead and Shulk didn't have Monado Armour? Maybe I'd try to Topple/Daze with Shulk and Dunban to give myself a bit more time. Perhaps Melia might be my 3rd Party Member instead, and I'd ask her to Summon Earth/Ice to boost the relevant defense. Options.

    The post was edited 3 times, last by Double A ().

  • Display Spoiler

    John wrote:

    Hylian Knight Cazz wrote:

    The enemy draw distance always gets me when I’m sprinting.

    If you download the free DLC then the draw distance improves immensely, as the problem isn't the draw distance per-se, it's the delay on loading from the disc.


    You were adopted wrote:

    I have the datapacks installed, and I still get the enemy draw distance problem, especially if I'm driving in my robit.


    Khao wrote:

    Draw distances and pop-in is still pretty bad even with the data packs. I have all but one of them installed and I still notice things appearing from nothing, high-resolution textures only loading well after I'm close to objects, and even characters appearing after I already ran past their location. The problem is at its worst with Skells, sometimes I'm standing right in front of one for several seconds and they have like... Almost no textures. Just color. Though I think that's the data pack I'm missing.

    But if that's what it gets for the framerate to be this stable, I'm not complaining.


    You were adopted wrote:

    Without considering the enemies, the pop-in isn't actually that bad except for in NLA.

    Also I still get some framerate issues if I'm in a Gundam inside a cave.


    Hylian Knight Cazz wrote:

    I'm not sure how limiting the Wii U hardware could be to a game world of that size. Still it isn't game breaking the draw distance thing just annoying.


    Some places the enemies just won't spawn unless you are standing in the correct place. Even if you stand like a in game arms length from the enemy it won't spawn unless you stand in his place. A very clear place is the prone camp in Sylvalum (can't remember exactly, but it's on the west side right between two sat-nav probes. Farming for the Pheonix weapon is easy over there.
  • So I did Chapter 11 yesterday at level 44/43/43/41 with two level 30 medium, 1 heavy and 1 light skell. It was pretty tough, but doable. Around what level should I be for Chapter 12?
    "The power of one man doesn't amount to much. But, with whatever little strength I'm capable of... I'll do everything humanly possible to protect the people I love, and in turn they'll protect the
    ones they love. It seems like the least we tiny humans can do for each other."
    -Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
  • Utz wrote:

    So I did Chapter 11 yesterday at level 44/43/43/41 with two level 30 medium, 1 heavy and 1 light skell. It was pretty tough, but doable. Around what level should I be for Chapter 12?

    i had an absolutely terrible time with the last chapter despite breezing through the 11th one. I read on gamefaqs that apparently you need to be above level 50 to be well-off, and have at least one level 50 skell as well but i took the cheap way out, went in without my skells, died a few times, let it switch to easy mode, hopped back in my skells and destroyed it all. i feel a bit ashamed of it but i tried every fucking strategy I could and leveled up nearly to level 60 and still couldn't put a dent in the vita.
  • Caleb wrote:


    i had an absolutely terrible time with the last chapter despite breezing through the 11th one. I read on gamefaqs that apparently you need to be above level 50 to be well-off, and have at least one level 50 skell as well but i took the cheap way out, went in without my skells, died a few times, let it switch to easy mode, hopped back in my skells and destroyed it all. i feel a bit ashamed of it but i tried every fucking strategy I could and leveled up nearly to level 60 and still couldn't put a dent in the vita.

    I think I'll just level up to 50 and grind to get the level 50 Skells. I have a ton of Wrothian quests to do anyway, so I don't mind not being able to do the last story mission. The story is pretty predictable anyway. But it's still pretty darn good.
    "The power of one man doesn't amount to much. But, with whatever little strength I'm capable of... I'll do everything humanly possible to protect the people I love, and in turn they'll protect the
    ones they love. It seems like the least we tiny humans can do for each other."
    -Roy Mustang, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
  • Just got done with chapter 11, and now I'm seriously questioning the decision of having a silent, customizable main character with dialogue options in this game.

    Display Spoiler
    I had absolutely no sympathy for Lao and thought his actions were both unforgivable and with a shitty motive. I nearly completely disagreed with Lin. Yet my character automatically jumped in to protect Lao from Elma. Had I been given the choice, I would have shot him myself without hesitation. I honestly can't remember the last time my immersion in a game was broken so directly in this manner.

    I mean for fuck's sake, there were two characters in my party having a massive disagreement and both were equally determined. When the camera got centered in my character I was fully expecting having to make a choice, and my decision was already made. It just felt bad and disjointed. If I don't have any say whatsoever in my character's action, what's the point in having a character of my own in the first place?
  • Khao wrote:

    Just got done with chapter 11, and now I'm seriously questioning the decision of having a silent, customizable main character with dialogue options in this game.

    Display Spoiler
    I had absolutely no sympathy for Lao and thought his actions were both unforgivable and with a shitty motive. I nearly completely disagreed with Lin. Yet my character automatically jumped in to protect Lao from Elma. Had I been given the choice, I would have shot him myself without hesitation. I honestly can't remember the last time my immersion in a game was broken so directly in this manner.

    I mean for fuck's sake, there were two characters in my party having a massive disagreement and both were equally determined. When the camera got centered in my character I was fully expecting having to make a choice, and my decision was already made. It just felt bad and disjointed. If I don't have any say whatsoever in my character's action, what's the point in having a character of my own in the first place?


    Chapter 11 spoilers
    When Lao said "the head or the chest?", I kept joking with my sister that a dialogue box would pop up asking me to choose between telling Elma to shoot the head or the chest.

    Lao: *longass speech*
    Me: "THE HEAD! THE HEAD!"

    The post was edited 2 times, last by Double A ().

  • Double A wrote:

    You were adopted wrote:

    Chapter 11
    ​TBF, if you didn't stop Elma, she still would've had a 50% chance of destroying the thingy. I probably would've also stopped her, but not for the same reason as Lin.


    Display Spoiler
    yes but you would have shot lao


    Display Spoiler
    I thought of it this way. It didn't really matter whether he got shot or not, because he would still be alive in the Lifehold. So you'd basically be risking this crucial data to temporarily get rid of a problem. Better to just keep him in captivity.
  • You were adopted wrote:

    Double A wrote:

    You were adopted wrote:

    Chapter 11
    TBF, if you didn't stop Elma, she still would've had a 50% chance of destroying the thingy. I probably would've also stopped her, but not for the same reason as Lin.


    Display Spoiler
    yes but you would have shot lao


    Display Spoiler
    Probably in the foot or something, but not where the data could be, which Elma would have done.


    Display Spoiler
    nah i meant i'd have shot the annoying bugger regardless

    The post was edited 1 time, last by Double A ().

  • Chapter 11
    Display Spoiler
    Honestly, Lao's betrayal in one chapter of X was handled better than the likes of Dickson's was throughout all of the second half of Xenoblade Chronicles if you ask me. I honestly don't see Lao's motive as being as big of a problem as you're trying to make it out to be. It's predictable, yeah, but at least it's freaking there--Dickson's whole "It was always an act" thing took me out of the game and character ten times as much as whatever segregation this game had between the player and their character for one scene, especially when it's a scene that gives them a moment of identity. That's not even getting into what a weaker motive (or complete lack thereof) Dickson had, considering it was more for the sake of getting some of the final-act exposition out of the way; they really didn't even do a good job of addressing it as a means of how it affects the characters. Hell, they don't even do a decent job (or spend any effort for that matter) on following up on what Dickson was whispering to himself earlier about how it was apparently regrettable what he was doing. Also, I never really saw it as a scene on whether or not to spare Lao from death, more like something to keep Elma from making a choice that I for one wouldn't have expected her to otherwise make after how the game established her. To that end, I'd've personally pushed for a choice between pulling a gun on Elma or standing between her and Lin.

    Death Killington;3404575 wrote:

    Her menstrual cycle gives her super powers? I wish I was a woman.


    Fenix Down;3522014 wrote:

    Forget Malon, Marin, Ruto, Zelda, Medli, Nooberu, Midna, Ilia and Aryl -
    I present to you the only woman who captured Link's heart and loins: