Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    The Big Theory Q&A
    • Eh, that story is pretty much what I would expect from Link's backstory. We know that the people of Hyrule were fighting amongst themselves. I believe HH mentions that Link might have come from a knight family, so his father being a knight at least has a suggestion in canon. I always imagined that Link's mother was injured by some weapon of war, but maybe she could count as being "gravely injured" by the forest's curse. It's basically a different take on the same sequence of events.

The weird thing is Link's mom turning into a tree, but... maybe it kind of works? The Stalfos/Skull Kid rule applies to the Lost Woods, not necessarily Kokiri Forest, so a different transformation isn't out of the question. If the Kokiri were once Hylian (as HE states and I've argued elsewhere) and eventually become Koroks, which are kind of like trees. Nonoctoro even suggested in "Small BotW Theories" that dead Koroks become trees. So Link's mom just skipped to the last step.

Anyway, yeah, definitely not canon.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Evran_Speer ().

• @Evran_Speer Well, I'm a fervant believer that the spirit of the dead Mother turned into Navi.

A Tree ? No, this german Comic is well made but obviously not canon. A Human that enters the Lost Woods is cursed into a Stalfos or a Skull Kid. (Surely by the evil entity that inhabits it)

I guess she died exhausted by the journey through the battlefield.
    • Evran_Speer wrote:

@Romano-British Medli I don't think Shad ever goes to Faron. (Well, there's a bit in the credits, I guess.) Are you thinking of Rusl?
      Yes, I was mistaken there. I somehow totally was convinced that Shad was being in in Faron Woods when I wrote this. Until yesterday morning, when I realized: I am talking about Rusl!
      Whooops! ^^'
      Well, he has a scared animation! *cough* Ahem!

I have encountered this video on Youtube as well, but haven't watched it yet.

Edit: I even edited my previous post now.
      Damn it, I just did the whole Shad quest and can now enter the City in the Sky! If I had read your question one week earlier! ...
      "A puppet that can no longer be used is mere garbage.
      This puppet's role has just ended..."
      - Majora

My major theories:

Counting the Population of Termina

Counting the Population of Hyrule (OoT)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Romano-British Medli ().

• The ALTTP manual says that Ganondorf and his followers killed each other off thanks to "Triforce frenzy", and concept art of Ganon created for ALTTP shows him with his tongue in a position that suggests hunger. However, the manual also says that Ganondorf was a "Demon Thief". I wonder: Was the implication that he wasn't as evil and power-hungry before he entered the Sacred Realm and got "Triforce frenzy", or was he intended to have become the villain we all know long before that?
      "The (Star Wars) EU is a bloated, wretched mess."
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • With his followers, he stole from women and children, and he even killed people! -Nabooru

"あこがれは欲望に変わり、情報のために血を流す事もよく起こりました"

"Longing soon became greed, and it was not uncommon for blood to be spilt for certain information."-ALTTP Manual

だが、その 研究の成果を ヤツに わたすわけには いかん。 それゆえ、我ら兄弟は 命をかけて そのヒミツを 守りぬいたのだ。But we couldn’t let the fruits of that research fall into his hands. So, my brother and I bet our lives on protecting that secret." -Compositer Brothers

His goal was always the Triforce and the reason of all his crimes during and prior OOT.

I believe that the Civil was just one of his scheme, he heard of the Sheikah Tribe and knew they knew about the Triforce. So ... blood was split.

His adoptive mothers were using him as a tool to rule over the Gerudo Tribe until they learn that he was the next Demon King. And thus made it into the Power-Hungry man we know.
      I guess they lied to him, he was endoctrined to become like that, and that TWW Ganondorf reveal who he truly was, jealous of Hyrule and his love for the people of his kind.

The source of Evil would be his Envy for Hyrule, the Grudge and Hatred of Demise growing into Ganon inside his Heart and his adoptive mothers influencing him, leading him on the Dark Side.

I have a query, between ALTTP manual and Hyrule Historia ... Which one is more Canon ? They contradict each others.
    • @Nonoctoro I was talking what was intended when ALTTP was released, not what was ultimately revealed in OOT.

As for contradictions between the ALTTP manual and HH, the only ways that the ALTTP manual could be correct are:

1. If OOT Ganondorf and ALTTP Ganon are different incarnations of Ganondorf.

2. If there was a timeline split before the birth of OOT Ganondorf.

Miyamoto wanted OOT to be the origin story of ALTTP Ganon, so HH twisted ALTTP's backstory to fit OOT.

If you want OOT to be the origin story of ALTTP Ganon, HH would override the ALTTP manual. If not, it depends how you feel about "timeline canon".
      - Jedi Master Sagan

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ganon Vader ().

• Ganon Vader wrote:

I think this would be something like that.

Ocarina of Time, the game, only take place in the Adult Timeline before finishing in the Child one.
      So OOT, the game, nrver happened in the Downfall Timeline.

HH talk about it on a single page and it's quite unclear. I believe HH is not all accurate, and things can be changed.

I would go for the Manual, which can be considered as OOT genesis.
    • Nonoctoro wrote:

Ganon Vader wrote:

I think this would be something like that.

Ocarina of Time, the game, only take place in the Adult Timeline before finishing in the Child one.
      So OOT, the game, nrver happened in the Downfall Timeline.

HH talk about it on a single page and it's quite unclear. I believe HH is not all accurate, and things can be changed.

I would go for the Manual, which can be considered as OOT genesis.
      Here's how I would have written the DT:

A time-traveller gave the Ancient Sages the idea to build the Temples of Time, Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, and Spirit, and then placed the Master Sword inside the Temple of Time pedestal. In ALTTP's timeline, the the six Temples were never built. Instead, the entrance to the Sacred Realm was hidden but left unsealed and the Master Sword was left in the Lost Woods, far away from the Sacred Realm's entrance. This means that Ganondorf didn't need a Hero to gather the Spiritual Stones and remove the Master Sword, hence there's no Hero in ALTTP's backstory. The absence of the Temple of Light explains why the Triforce is outdoors in the drawing in the ALTTP manual and at the end of ALBW. Not knowing where the Sacred Realm was, Ganondorf recruited some followers, promising to share the Triforce with them in exchange for them helping him find the Sacred Realm. This explains why Ganondorf has followers with him in the ALTTP manual.

@Nonoctoro Here's where I got the pre-OOT split idea from: Son of predestined timeline, part deux
      - Jedi Master Sagan

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ganon Vader ().

• Ganon Vader wrote:

A time-traveller gave the Ancient Sages the idea to build the Temples of Time, Light, Forest, Fire, Water, Shadow, and Spirit, and then placed the Master Sword inside the Temple of Time pedestal. In ALTTP's timeline, the the six Temples were never built. Instead, the entrance to the Sacred Realm was hidden but left unsealed and the Master Sword was left in the Lost Woods, far away from the Sacred Realm's entrance. This means that Ganondorf didn't need a Hero to gather the Spiritual Stones and remove the Master Sword, hence there's no Hero in ALTTP's backstory. The absence of the Temple of Light explains why the Triforce is outdoors in the drawing in the ALTTP manual and at the end of ALBW. Not knowing where the Sacred Realm was, Ganondorf recruited some followers, promising to share the Triforce with them in exchange for them helping him find the Sacred Realm. This explains why Ganondorf has followers with him in the ALTTP manual.

I actually like this Idea, it would give more meaning to the Downfall Timeline.

But, I would see the Time Traveler being the failed Hero. Beside that, the only Time Traveler there is is Nayru, the Oracles of Sages.

Maybe using the Gate of Time ? Skywad Sword Introduced us with one left at the Temple of Hylia who would had become the Temple of Time, so it should had been left here.
      In TP, we saw a Gate of Time at the entrance of the Temple.

I guess, even if the Temple of Time is not built, the Gate of Time is still within the ruins of the Temple of Hylia.
    • Chateau Romania - Lite wrote:

After sifting through the old threads of the site, I keep seeing it said that in an old OoT manual it's said the Zora hail from a sacred fountain/pool or something like that. I can't find the source for this, but I could just be missing it. Can anyone provide the source for this claim?
      Looking at the original manual of the game, it says the following:

OoT manual page 8 wrote:

Zora People: The people of Zora's Domain are like evolved fish. They live underwater but can venture out for short periods of time.
      So no claims of that sort in the manual, but I found something similar in the Nintendo Player's Guide:

OoT guide page 55 wrote:

Zoras: When the goddesses created Hyrule they blessed Zora's Fountain. For ages, fish swam in the sacred waters before finally evolving into people known as Zoras.

Now this is similar to what the manual says but the difference is that this says the golden goddesses blessed the fountain (the area where Lord Jabu-Jabu lives) and that fish definitely evolved into the Zoras, just not making a comparison. Strategy guides like these are often unreliable, making unsubstantiated and incorrect claims (for example, this guide parrots the mistranslated LTTP manual, saying that the Master Sword was created during the Seal War and whatnot). So take it with a grain of salt.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ymcan64 ().

• Let's also not forget that the ALttP Manual also claims Ganondorf's full name is Ganondorf Dragmire, and that the full name of Ganon is Mandrag Ganon. Now, while I'm not keen on the latter bit of creative liberty, I have taken a shine to this surname for the KIng of Evil. It just sounds so cool to me. Like, I even used this while making Ganondorf for Skyrim and Tomodachi Life. Somehow, it just feels right to me. I doubt the name is canon, but let's face it- even some of the non-canon aspects of the series are pretty cool.
    • Okami Takahashi wrote:

Let's also not forget that the ALttP Manual also claims Ganondorf's full name is Ganondorf Dragmire, and that the full name of Ganon is Mandrag Ganon.
      Well, actually, not in Japanese, so .... t's probably not official. :disappointed:

Nonoctoro wrote:

Are the Demon Fossils from ST and TFH really called like that in Japanese ? Is the Term Demon "Ma"魔 or any of its variation really used here ? Or was it just monster "Kaibustu" 怪物 ? Or was it something else ?
      No one have the answer ?