Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    The Big Theory Q&A
    • I don't see any reason it couldn't happen. All I'll add is that to reach Wind Mage form, he would have to get his hands on another power comparable to the Light Force, and there aren't many options. I guess the Triforce of Power would work, since it's MIA after TP.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • So theory time, would it be a leap in logic to assume that the Zonai worshiped Faron and existed before OOT but after SS? Creating a Champion mentions that they worshiped a water dragon and that the area around the spring of courage was their home base and both "water dragon" and "spring of courage" are concepts and things that have a connection to Faron.

As for why they'd have to exist before OOT...I guess you could say they don't but we don't see Faron after SS and in fact we never see Lake Floria at all after SS and in BOTW, and frankly the area of Faron woods, assuming it never moves, is likely the same area that the Kokori eventually find themselves living in, as TP shows Kokori symbolism in its Faron woods...and while on the subject of the Kokori, the controversial Hyrule Encyclopedia states that they started as a group of of Hylians who wanted to live closer to nature and that matches well with the idea of the barbarian armor of BOTW, which many assume to have a connection to the Zonai...though the armor looks nothing like anything ever associated with Kokori wear.

As a seperate theory BOTW showed the Sheikah to have a strong connection to frogs, while it's not a lot to go off of its because of this that I believe the Fire Sanctuary to be a place of worship and a facility used by the Pre-SS Sheikah.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mango The Magician ().

• @Mango The Magician The dragon head at the Spring of Courage doesn't resemble Faron, so I think it's more likely a different dragon entirely, from a/the generation between Faron and Farosh. It's possible that Faron changed her appearance or that the statue isn't entirely accurate, it just seems less likely.

What's the connection with Sheikah and frogs?
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • @Mango The Magician The Fire Sanctuary thing is a good catch, and, I would say, highly likely. The Relationship between the Oocca and Shiekah would imply that they had an advanced pre-SS civilization, and considering the frog motif and the fact that both the Sanctuary and Shiekah culture are very eastern in design, the connection is certainly there. While the sanctuary is not, I would say, specifically Japanese, as the Shiekah are depicted, it's pretty close, and there could certainly have been Shiekah of a somewhat different culture.

I'd say there's actually a fair chance that other monuments are Shiekah in design, and while I'll have to do some research on some of them, I can note the Eye motif from the first dungeon off the top of my head.
    • Mango The Magician wrote:

would it be a leap in logic to assume that the Zonai worshiped Faron and existed before OOT but after SS?

I myself think they are Pre-SS, the major flaw with this is the Skyview Temple which was were the Zonai Ruins are, at the entrance of Faron sacred spring.
      I think that the Skyview Temple was just built upon the Zonai Ruins, and Time made it disappear.
      The rock used for the Skyview Temple was limestone, and since it frequently rain in Faron, erosion made it melt.

Evran_Speer wrote:

the Spring of Courage doesn't resemble Faron, so I think it's more likely a different dragon entirely

Maybe it's because they were worshipping Dragons in general.

It reminds me of the Lore from Zelda Game&Watch :

"The havoc caused by eight fierce dragons is increasing day by day. These dragons have refused to live in peace with man and are fighting against him to rule the world."

Maybe the Zonai were in war against the Dragons ?

Fal Cie wrote:

Dunno what the connection between frogs and ninjas is but it comes up in some works.

Yeah, the Tale of the Gallant Jiraya for the ninja connection.
      Paya also says he is the patron of the travelers (in my version), some sort of Liminal deity.

RealmWings wrote:

The Relationship between the Oocca and Shiekah would imply that they had an advanced pre-SS civilization,
      Yeah !
      There is many new Pre-SS ruins introduced in BOTW, all the Zonai stuff and Lomei Labyrinths but also all those white pillar with moss, sometimes accompanied with SS loftwings statues.
      There is an ancient city near the entrance of Mount Lanayru, not too far from Kakariko Village.
      It might be the ancient Sheikah Capital.

The Wind Tribe at Castor Wild aka Tabantha, were also a Pre-SS civilisation, it is likely that they evolved into the Oocca and then, BOTW Ritos.

• Evran_Speer wrote:

@Mango The Magician The dragon head at the Spring of Courage doesn't resemble Faron, so I think it's more likely a different dragon entirely, from a/the generation between Faron and Farosh. It's possible that Faron changed her appearance or that the statue isn't entirely accurate, it just seems less likely.

What's the connection with Sheikah and frogs?
      yeah that's the issue but Faron is the only Water Dragon Zelda really has and it's all in such a close proximnity of Lake Floria and the Spring of Courage that I feel like it would have to be Faron, plus the nature of how the Zonai view the Triforce in such a primitive and tribal way doesn't make sense in any time period in which the Hylian Royal Family would be present and prominent. Thus placing them after SS but before the sealing of the Sacred Realm and the wars over the Triforce just seems to fit better, at least to me.

As for the frogs they're everywhere in Kakariko and are very prominent the closer you get to the Yiga hideout.

Also as a side note its weird how:

Faron (Water) -> Farosh (electricity)
      And
      Lanayru (electricity) -> Naydra (Ice)

Eldin (Fire) -> Dinrael (Fire) makes sense though.
    • gamtos wrote:

Yeah they keep fucking around with the elements.
      Take the Nayru-looking Zora Sapphire and then the Rito's keeping of Din's Pearl.
      Then factor in that Revali could be seen as the champion of wind and Farore's said to be the Wind Goddess in WW, and you got a full house.
      Farore is called a wind goddess in ww? Is that in regards to the pearls or the statue?

Though I'm not sure what to describe her as to be honest. Din created the planet, Nayru created the skies and law and Farore created the life...so I guess a goddess of life, but that thematically clashes with Farore's colors and Zeldas' constant:

Green = forest
      Red = fire
      Blue = water

And that clashes with the elements in the Four Sword series.
    • RealmWings wrote:

Question - For how long do you believe the Hylians existed before Hylia's battle with Demise? Do you believe other civilizations existed before them, or did all of the races and civilizations begin when the Golden Goddesses created the world?
      I've always believed that the GG created the world but there was a gap of time between creation and the creation/appointment of Hylia where extremely primitive people and creatures existed. This period would be when the Oocca flourished and likely had a civilization on the surface. Sometime after this Hylians/humans were created in the image of the GG and to guard and lead them Hylia was created. From this point on we know that several civilizations or at least one major one had to pop up as we need someone who would have had to have built the dungeons in SS. Likewise Lanayru seems to be have been technologically advanced and something about the whole area being ran or lived in by the ancient robots seems weird so I've always thought that ancient people lived among the robots, but that may be inaccurate.

Anyways I find it extremely unlikely that the people on Skyloft are the only ones who survived so I'm gonna wager that several extra human civilizations had to have existed in secret simply for the sake of mathematics and having enough people to populate the world.

So in my eyes the Hylians likely existed for some time, maybe a couple hundred of years or so, and several civilizations existed before them but they weren't humanoid at least that's the way I see it.