Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    Pinned
    The Big Theory Q&A
    • ​Has anyone done a size comparison of New Hyrule from Spirit Tracks to any of the other games? I've just recently watched a walkthrough of it, and I'm curious as to how much of the world's geography it actually shows us, even if it doesn't have a clear location in relation to other games.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • Off the top of my head, one could assume that ST Link is the same size as WW Link and go from there. The train has a "bigger on the inside" thing going, so one could potentially scale the outside of the train to match the inside, and then the overworld to match the train, or just use Link as he's seen from the outside. Those would give two very different answers, but they'd both be interesting to see.
      Goddess of the Sands

Map of Thyphlo Ruins

Forest Architects

If you have Amiibo Tap: Nintendo's Greatest Bits on Wii U, you can reset which games your amiibo unlock by deleting the game and then redownloading it.
    • The Spirit Tower can be seen from all sections of the tracks. Perhaps you could estimate its height by counting the number of floors per section and give each floor an average story height of ten feet or so. Then maybe with trigonometry or some other kind of fancy math you can get a rough estimate using the tower's height and its relative position to various landmarks.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Draug ().

• Basically, the biggest frame of reference in both games you could have is Link. That's a terrible way of comparing landscape sizes. It's like trying to measure the Eiffel tower with an egg. Or measuring the border of Egypt with a tape measure.
      Not only will it take a lifetime, the answer you get will be nowhere near accurate.

It's very likely the Spirit tower is not at true size when you're looking at it from a large distance. Similarly, the shape of islands you see from a distance on Phantom Hourglass reflect their actual size and landscape very poorly. And as you mentioned, almost every area on the map, every house, is bigger on the inside, which means that every measurement of an area will not match that area on the map.

Aside from looking at the game files, there simply isn't a way of measuring this that would be worthwhile.

At best, the entirety of the Great Sea has been measured before. The area between the Flight Control Platform and its goalposts was said to be 250 yards, although it's not certain how much thought the developers put in this number.

When measuring that on the map, one can use that to see how big the Great Sea is. This will still be a rough measurement but much, much more accurate than measuring it in Link-heads.

Measurements in games are tough anyways. As long as everything is roughly scaled proportionately to other things, it all works out, so goes the developer logic. One thing worth noting though is that Link is 5 foot tall in Ocarina of Time according to the Lakeside Laboratory measure, and this is proportionately accurate to Ganondorf's canonical 230 cm size (Hyrule Historia), so they do put some thought in these things.

If you could soar across the map at a fixed speed, you'd be able to make a decent measure. This would go well in the Wind Waker, but it would be impossible in every other Zelda game.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gamtos ().

• Something that's often overlooked in these discussions is that even if you can accurately scale distance, "distance" is not a metric that exists in a vacuum, so to speak. Because "distance" can also be defined using speed and time, which don't correspond cleanly between games either. For instance, assuming that Epona in OoT and TP are roughly the same size and in the same physical condition, they should be able to cover similar distances in similar amounts of time. But even though TP Hyrule looks bigger than OoT, the day-night cycle in OoT is such that it takes about from sunrise to sundown to cross Hyrule Field, while sunrise to sunset gives you enough time to do most of a full circuit through all three regions surrounding Hyrule Castle in TP. So does that mean that TP Hyrule is really bigger than OoT Hyrule, and that for some reason time slowed down between OoT and TP? Or does it mean that time moves normally throughout, and that TP Hyrule is actually tiny compared to OoT?
    • Ganon Vader wrote:

A Link to the Past says that "Ganon" was once "Ganondorf", but does it ever say that Ganondorf was human and not a blue pig? Before OOT was made, was it possible that Ganondorf was always a blue pig and simply was a member of a pig-like species?
      Moblins come to my mind when I think of a pig-like species. It is possible that Ganondorf was a King Moblin, much like Bowser from Mario is the King Koopa, at least before Ocarina of Time was made.
    • Zekeboy wrote:

Ganon Vader wrote:

A Link to the Past says that "Ganon" was once "Ganondorf", but does it ever say that Ganondorf was human and not a blue pig? Before OOT was made, was it possible that Ganondorf was always a blue pig and simply was a member of a pig-like species?
      Moblins come to my mind when I think of a pig-like species. It is possible that Ganondorf was a King Moblin, much like Bowser from Mario is the King Koopa, at least before Ocarina of Time was made.
      I had the Moblins in mind too. I'm certain that Ganon was intended to be the King Moblin when LOZ was released because in addition to his appearance, the LOZ manual story has the Moblins serving as Ganon's soldiers.
      "The (Star Wars) EU is a bloated, wretched mess."
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • Ganon Vader wrote:

Is Demise's hair like a mood ring? It's black when we first see it, then Demise roars and it starts glowing orange.
      I've always thought it had something to do with Demise absorbing Zelda's/Hylia's soul, but then I looked at the Imprisoned. It turns between dark purple, red orange, and white. Dark purple is usually when it's normal (walking), red orange when it's angry (viciously sliding), and white when it feels pain (the seal going in its head). There could be something there.
    • Ganon Vader wrote:

I had the Moblins in mind too. I'm certain that Ganon was intended to be the King Moblin when LOZ was released because in addition to his appearance, the LOZ manual story has the Moblins serving as Ganon's soldiers.
      The Moblins had a much more bulldog-like appearance in LoZ.

The manual says that Ganondorf was a member of a tribe of thieves. Coincidentally, we do see several different thieves throughout the game, but they're all human. Not sure if there was meant to be a connection there. Their Dark World counterparts look more like foxes than pigs.

They did debut their piggish look in ALttP, though. But Moblins only appear in the Dark World, which only existed after Ganondorf invaded the Sacred Realm, alone. They serve as Ganon's soldiers, instead of thieves.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure Ganondorf wasn't a Moblin.
      HA! GOT 'EM!

The post was edited 2 times, last by ASttP ().

• ASttP wrote:

Ganon Vader wrote:

The Moblins had a much more bulldog-like appearance in LoZ.

The manual says that Ganondorf was a member of a tribe of thieves. Coincidentally, we do see several different thieves throughout the game, but they're all human. Not sure if there was meant to be a connection there. Their Dark World counterparts look more like foxes than pigs.

They did debut their piggish look in ALttP, though. But Moblins only appear in the Dark World, which only existed after Ganondorf invaded the Sacred Realm, alone. They serve as Ganon's soldiers, instead of thieves.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure Ganondorf wasn't a Moblin.
      All really good points. We do see thieves in the game, but the Japanese manual says that Ganondorf was a "demon thief", and I was wondering what exactly that means. I figured the Moblins we see in the Dark World were beings who entered the Sacred Realm during the Imprisoning War and then made a deal with Ganon.
      - Jedi Master Sagan
    • There's no confirmation of what those torture devices are down there for

But, a possible tie-in to the Triforce wars is a sign (or is it a voice?) that says "Here lies the history of Hyrule's greed and hatred".

I can't help but think of the Triforce when I see the words "greed" and "hatred".

Ganondorf and Demise exemplify those words quite well. It was their greed in pursuit of the Triforce that lead to their hatred for the Royal Family and their allies.

Not just Ganondorf, but the people of Hyrule that participated in the wars; in their lusts for the Triforce, they turned against each other.

With that being said, it's certainly possible that the torture devices in the Shadow Temple were used to extract information concerning the Triforce.
    • ASttP wrote:

But, a possible tie-in to the Triforce wars is a sign (or is it a voice?) that says "Here lies the history of Hyrule's greed and hatred".

I can't help but think of the Triforce when I see the words "greed" and "hatred".

Ganondorf and Demise exemplify those words quite well. It was their greed in pursuit of the Triforce that lead to their hatred for the Royal Family and their allies.

Not just Ganondorf, but the people of Hyrule that participated in the wars; in their lusts for the Triforce, they turned against each other.
      I was thinking along the same lines. I think that's where I got my idea from. The ALTTP manual, the Deku Tree's story, the stoey about the Dark Interlopers, Ganondorf, Demise, etc. are all described using the words "greed" and "hatred". I can't help but wonder if Demise's curse was that people would feel greed and hatred surrounding the Triforce and would kill each other over it, whether in the form of civil wars or Demon Kings.
      - Jedi Master Sagan