Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
  • Nintendo
The Pokémon Thread: Pocket Fist Tournament
  • I'm not a big fan or user of digital downloads. For one, the size can take up a lot of space on my SD card. Sure, I can go buy another one, but eventually I'll have to buy more if I stick natively to downloading new games. I shouldn't be surprised by how much 3DS games take up in space, but geez.

It makes me comfortable knowing that buying a physical retail copy is still an option. Not all the best game deals can win me over to digitally download new games. I'm also a box person, so I love to hold my games when I buy them for the first time.

And if it weren't obvious, I'm definitely buying ORAS in retail at it comes out.
  • Chocoroko wrote:

I'm also a box person, so I love to hold my games when I buy them for the first time.

Same. Plus, I like filling my shelf with games. It's pleasant to behold. @u@

Enjoy high quality, energetic, and entertaining Nintendo Let's Plays? Kindly consider checking out my channel by clicking the signature above! Thank you for your time!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Shdwj ().

• So to get into the Gen III spirit of things I decided to try a Ruby Nuzlocke (no Emerald since I'm getting Omega Ruby) and let's just say this has been the worst run I've ever had, so far my misfortunes have been:

-A full party wipe at Brawly due to me misremembering his levels, plus 3 Karate Chop crits in a row that killed the Wingull I had to deal with him and my Treecko (yes, he didn't even get to evolve).

-An almost total wipe courtesy of Watson's Magneton that got saved at the last minute by Makuhita due to the leader deciding to paralyze her after I healed her instead of going for the Shock Wave kill (yay Guts!).

So now I have a "killer" team consisting of an overleveled Hariyama that survives psychic attacks like they were nothing, Geodude, Sandshrew, Machop, Gloom and a Swablu. Oh and almost nothing in the PC as reserves save for an Illumise so if I get another wipe it's probably game over for me.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• Zero III wrote:

So to get into the Gen III spirit of things I decided to try a Ruby Nuzlocke (no Emerald since I'm getting Omega Ruby) and let's just say this has been the worst run I've ever had, so far my misfortunes have been:

-A full party wipe at Brawly due to me misremembering his levels, plus 3 Karate Chop crits in a row that killed the Wingull I had to deal with him and my Treecko (yes, he didn't even get to evolve).

-An almost total wipe courtesy of Watson's Magneton that got saved at the last minute by Makuhita due to the leader deciding to paralyze her after I healed her instead of going for the Shock Wave kill (yay Guts!).

So now I have a "killer" team consisting of an overleveled Hariyama that survives psychic attacks like they were nothing, Geodude, Sandshrew, Machop, Gloom and a Swablu. Oh and almost nothing in the PC as reserves save for an Illumise so if I get another wipe it's probably game over for me.

Never liked the idea of Nuzlocke....or any challenges for that matter.

But I'm not gonna judge people for how they play, its just something that never appealed to me.
  • john_marston wrote:

I find it a shame that GameFreak has never given a shot at a fully 3D Pokemon RPG for the main console. I would've much prefered that they'd outsource OR/AS and GameFreak themselves make a console pokemon. Instead they did it the other way round in the past and we were left with pretty forgettable console pokemon attempts for the N64, Gamecube (mostly) and Wii.

What are you talking about? Colosseum and Gale of Darkness were awesome and were way more interesting than if GameFreak had made them according to formula. Snagging was really fun and made battles even more strategic when you had to eliminate one opponent first before snagging the second. And while I'm on that topic, I loved how double battles were the standard battle format, it made my team drastically different than usual.

Bear in mind that these games were released back when Nintendo was still milking the whole "oh we've rebooted the franchise so you need to buy separate games to re-get the Gen 1 and 2 pokémon" strategy, so Genius Sonority were limited in the number of pokémon you could get, but I would dearly love for a sequel in that exact style but with a much larger pokédex.

The post was edited 1 time, last by ibLeo ().

• I'm playing Colosseum right now (doing the Cipher admin boss rush thing now in fact) and I agree with Leo_ completely, I also love how this game is actually kinda difficult in its own right instead of what we usually get in the mainline games.

And for some reason while normally I absolutely loathe Double Battles (the meta is so fast matches are over at team preview or turn 1 sometimes) this game somehow has made them not only bearable but actually good for me.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Jackos ().

• I've rebooted X to get some items and I must say that changing my "normal strategy" is great. I've taken on the challenge of picking out Pokémon that I usually wouldn't pick, some are even weaker by base stats. It's interesting to replay games like this. Currently my powerhouse is Medicham who does the work quite well. Zangoose is also quite strong, at least on these lower levels. Slash crits a lot and does the work very well.

Might even finish the Pokédex on X now, have all of the Pokémon in order so they can just be traded over to Pokébank and futute games.
  • Sabbo wrote:

Scratch the "double battles are standard" thing and I wouldn't dislike it.

Normally I like Double Battles but the fact that it was the standard made it monotonous after awhile.

Genius Sonority were limited in the number of Pokemon you could get, but I would dearly love for a sequel in that exact style but with a much larger pokédex.

Now, a good Pokemon trainer would be able to make a good team with any Pokemon but the roster of Pokemon in Colosseum at times seemed debilitating at times.

The post was edited 1 time, last by keyaki ().

• The problem with Colosseum's roster is that the previously unobtainable stuff they threw into it was, for the most part, Gen 2 stuff that, legendary dogs aside, is actually complete garbage even in-game and only got fixed with Gen 4's evolution batch, I can't remember how many times I literally jumped of happiness when Rui sensed some pokémon being shadow only to remember 3 seconds later that the evolution I wanted to add into my team didn't actually exist back then.

But it also adds to the challenge since you have to work with what you're thrown at and it's definitely doable, just a lot harder than your usual Pokemon game if you don't use the dogs.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Jackos ().

• So I just beat Colosseum (10 years late, I know), man that final boss does not pull any punches, even going so far as to using the ludicrously effective tactic of skillswapping Truant away from his Slaking in turn 1, that without mentioning him being 10-15 levels above me, somehow I won after like 5 attempts and now I have found new respect for Altaria, Umbreon and Medicham at least as far as ingame usefulness is concerned, heck Umbreon tanked a +1 Crush Claw from the damn monkey beast.

Now I'm starting XD, I've heard that there's a bigger selection of Pokémon in this one so teambuilding isn't that big of an issue and that the scaling isn't as tough, is that true?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Jackos ().

• Princess Kaguya wrote:

During last week I got some new shinies with their HA abilities for my collection.
    So far I got a shiny Vulpix, Froakie, and a male Espurr.
    But so far I'm trying MM for a shiny Noibat and so far I got nothing.

Dude, I'm dying to find a shiny Froakie. If I can't find one, are you up for a trade? I got a bunch of shiny Pokemon I'm willing to trade.
  • Zero III wrote:

So I just beat Colosseum (10 years late, I know), man that final boss does not pull any punches, even going so far as to using the ludicrously effective tactic of skillswapping Truant away from his Slaking in turn 1, that without mentioning him being 10-15 levels above me, somehow I won after like 5 attempts and now I have found new respect for Altaria, Umbreon and Medicham at least as far as ingame usefulness is concerned, heck Umbreon tanked a +1 Crush Claw from the damn monkey beast.

Now I'm starting XD, I've heard that there's a bigger selection of Pokémon in this one so teambuilding isn't that big of an issue and that the scaling isn't as tough, is that true?

Eh pretty much. Its not as tedious. in some cases more than others. But its way easier than in Colosseum.

XD helped me realize a whole lot more respect for Breloom.
  • i never owned ruby/sapphire. I owned emerald leaf green only. so not sure which one i want. I'm tempted to buy ruby for my breeding cartridge and then get sapphire for my reset cartridge. I will get a troll team of 6 kyubers and lol at wi-fi battles.

Three logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks, “Do all of you want a drink?”… The first logician says, “I don’t know.” The second logician says, “I don’t know.” The third logician says, “Yes!”

• I love Pokemon. I was introduced to the series through the TV show and later got Pokemon Yellow with my Game Boy Color. I spent hours playing that game, I was so addicted. Later I'd get Pokemon Red, Blue, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, and Sapphire. I also have Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, and Pokemon Snap, which was the first time us kids got to see our favorite Pokemon in 3D. I still remember getting stickers out of the pictures I took.

While I don't own them, I also played Hey You, Pikachu, and Pokemon Puzzle League. They were both a lot of fun, and I usually don't like puzzle games. I also collected the Pokemon cards and have all 151 of Gen I. I lost interest around Gen III. A rival that wasn't a jerk just didn't work for me and I got bored with it. I still go back and play the old games from time to time.

My mom is the real Pokemon Master of the family, though. She beat Red, Blue, and Yellow, caught all 150 Pokemon, maxed their levels, and got all the items while working a full time job. I bought another copy of the games so I didn't save over file. My mom is awesome.