Forums
Guides
Features
Media
Zelda Wiki
Patreon
    My Zelda marathon(ish)
    • For around 10 years Zelda has been my favorite computer game series. Something between the game and me just clicks, I love it.

But about a year ago I was suddenly thinking "why haven't I beaten some Zelda games if I love them so much?" And that's where I took off. :)

List:
      Spirit Tracks (I was halfway when SS came out and I stopped playing)
      The Legend of Zelda (1st quest 100%, made my own map)
      The Adventure of Link (finally beat dark Link, 100%)
      A Link to the Past (100% at last)
      Link's Awakening (100%)
      Ocarina of Time 3D (I already have OoT 100%, so for now I just beat this one. Might do it later.)
      Majora's Mask (I decided to leave this one for now, in anticipation of a 3DS remake. I also replayed it a few years back.)
      Oracle of Ages (playing this right now. Already beat it years ago.)
      The Wind Waker HD (I hadn't played it since the original release, I'm glad they improved so many small things!)
      Oracle of Seasons (was the last Zelda game I didn't beat!)
      Twilight Princess (wanted to replay this in HD [with a texture pack] on Dolphin, ended up playing it on my Cube)
      ------------------------------------- (current time)
      Four Swords (I went through a lot of trouble (and money) to get the AE. I already defeated Vaati, but I'm now working on the rest.)
      Four Swords Adventures (played it a few years back, didn't like it... I'll replay it and go for 100%. I'm trying to get friends over as much as possible for this one.)
      The Minish Cap Really looking forward to replaying it!

Phantom Hourglass (my 2nd least favorite... but I'll replay it nonetheless)
      Spirit Tracks (loved the game, will be nice to replay)
      Skyward Sword (awesome game, also to be replayed in HD on Dolphin)
      The Legend of Zelda Second Quest and the SNES remake The graphics are so pretty!

That's it! Thoughts?
      About a year ago I decided I wanted to have beaten all the Zelda games. It's my favorite game series, something between the game and me just clicks. If I'd be banned to an island and I could only bring 1 game series, I'd be Zelda.
      But there were still a few I didn't even finish (or start), so I had work to do!

We're talking about September 2012. At this time the last Zelda I played completely was Skyward Sword. (I loved it by the way.) The problem was that when SS came out, I was still playing through ST for the first time. I decided to put ST on hold and started SS.
      So here I was with an unfinished Spirit Tracks game. I decided to beat that first. I defeated the boss, but didn't get all the hearts/bunnies in the game.

After that, it was time to finally tackle The Legend of Zelda. I tried playing it on the NES maybe 15 years ago, but I couldn't find my way around and stopped after 4 levels. This time I decided to make my own map, which was awesome. When I finally beat the game, I wanted to start a 2nd file right away. A few weeks later I had beaten the game twice. (Just not 2nd Quest yet, that's still on the list.) Oh, 100% btw.

It was time for The Adventure of Link, a game I had almost beaten 15 years ago. Back then I got stuck on Shadow Link. But now I learned you can stab enemies in the head, so I finally beat TAoL. It's not hard to get 100% here, so I did. (By the way, I played both games as a NES Classic on the GBA.)

Next in line was my favorite Zelda, A Link to the Past. I already beat this 2 or 3 times as a kid, but I hadn't played it since the GBA port. I picked that up again and got a 0-deaths 100% save file. I played it around March 2013.

Around this time I developed some interest in ST again. I found the last heart containers, bunnies, etc. It really sucked because I had to look up a guide for some of these things. I hate doing that. :( So hello 100% ST.
      This would be earlier this year, maybe June.

After this, I tried 100%ing Phantom Hourglass. I did find the last piece of heart, but getting all the ship parts just takes SUCH a long time. I think I have 3/4, with a lot of double parts. If only I could find somebody to trade through wifi...

Link's Awakening was originally my third Zelda game, after ALttP and OoT. Back then I played the DX version, but I never really appreciated it. Sure, it was fun, but I saw it as a watered down ALttP. It didn't even have a plot twist.
      I had never played the original grey version, but I had picked up the cartridge a few years ago, so I started the game. I fell in love with it! It was my most-underestimated Zelda game. I beat it a few months ago. And yesterday I got to a 100% as I picked up the last heart piece. I'm ashamed to say I had to use a guide for this, as I had absolutely no clue. I also discovered that I permanently missed 3 Secret Seashells. And that after you get the lvl2 Sword, all remaining Seashells turn into rupees. So the next time I play LADX, I'll make sure to truly get all the items.

A few months ago (while on vacation in Asia) I started Ocarina of Time 3D. I started out slow, the graphics were pretty, but I didn't feel like playing OoT yet. It didn't suck me in. Until I became Adult Link. Somehow it suddenly clicked. And now I barely have time for the dungeons because I'm running around Hyrule doing fun stuff! I'm now in the Water Temple and I suspect I'll beat the game in a couple of weeks and then have it 100% in a few more weeks' time.

As you probably noticed, I played these games chronologically. Now it would be fun to play Majora's Mask... but I already did that 2 years ago on the GameCube. For now, I'd rather wait for the possible 3DS remake.

So what's next? I've been wanting to replay Twilight Princess on Dolphin (don't worry, I own the disc on Wii, but I just want HD graphics with an HD texture pack). I actually planned to do that last year, but I didn't. And now I feel like I can wait.

So chronologically Oracle of Ages and Seasons come next. I even caved in and bought them for my 3DS, even though I still have the cartridges. And after that come Four Swords and The Wind Waker, of which I already pre-ordered the HD version.
      After that I could play ALBW, replay FSA (meh... I guess getting 100% is worth the pain), TMC (looking forward to that!) and then finally TP (HD on Dolphin). By then I'll probably want to play SS (Hero Mode), TLoZ 2nd Quest and perhaps PH and ST again.

What do you think, first OoA/S and then TWWHD? :)
      Oh, any other thoughts maybe, like weird stuff you noticed?
      100% | Finished | Now playing:
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 6 times, last by Canyarion ().

• Canyarion, awesome to see you do this. I think OoA/S is both great games, and you'd be able to finish them before TWWHD release. And afterwards what about doing that TP Dolphin with HD texture pack? It looks amazing :D

Whatever you do, I hope you'll have lots of fun with it, and nice to see you 100% so many of the games.

Source Code

1. [B]. [URL="http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/general-zelda/161189-blog-completing-all-the-zelda-games.html"][U][B]Blog: Completing all the Zelda-Games[/B][/U][/URL][/B]
      2. [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]The Legend of Zelda [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]Four Swords AE [ ]Ocarina of Time
      3. [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]The Adventure of Link [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]The Minish Cap [ ]Majora's Mask
      4. [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]Link's Awakening (DX) [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]Phantom Hourglass [ ]Twilight Princess
      5. [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]Oracle of Ages [ ]Spirit Tracks [ ]Skyward Sword
      6. [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]Oracle of Season [[SIZE="2"]✓[/SIZE]]A Link to the Past [ ]The Wind Waker

Latest PodSmashers video: A Link to the Past podcast!
    • In preparation of replaying TMC in a few months, I decided to boot up my cartridge. Boy was I surprised to learn I was still missing 14 pieces of heart and 1 bottle! I have no idea what I was doing back then when I played it. I guess I didn't care as much about Zelda as I do now.

I just finished the Spirit Temple in OoT 3D. I'll pick up the Ice Arrows first in the Gerudo's hideout. I also guess I should find those last 3 Big Poes, only having 3 bottles is starting to get annoying.

You know what, let's do one of those nifty lists. :P

Source Code

1. [size=10][✓]The Legend of Zelda (GBA) [ ]Majora's Mask [ ]The Minish Cap
      2. [✓]The Adventure of Link (GBA) [ ]Oracle of Seasons (3DS) [ ]Twilight Princess (in HD on Dolphin)
      3. [✓]A Link to the Past (GBA) [ ]Oracle of Ages (3DS) [ ]Phantom Hourglass
      4. [✓]Link's Awakening (original) [ ]The Wind Waker HD [ ]Spirit Tracks
      5. [✓]Ocarina of Time 3D [ ]Four Swords Adventures [ ]Skyward Sword (in HD on Dolphin)
      [/SIZE]
      Not sure if I should put MM, ST, PH and SS already in there. I played them in the last years, but I'll probably end up replaying them at the end of my marathon.
      TLoZ | 2nd Q | TAoL | ALttP | LA | LA DX | OoT | OoT MQ | MM | OoA | OoS | ALttP (GBA) | FS | TWW | FSA | TMC | TP | LCT | PH | ST | OoT 3D | FS AE | SS | ALBW | MM 3D | TFH | TP HD | BotW

The post was edited 2 times, last by Canyarion ().

• This morning I beat OoT 3D and boy was it fast! The Biggoron's Sword makes it too easy. I never used it before because I think it is lame, but I decided to try it this time.

Some things I discovered:
      - You know the plateau in the Sacred Realm where you first meet Rauru and where the Sages talk to you? I came to the conclusion that that plateau actually IS the gate into the sacred realm. I never realized that before.
      - When the Master Sword glowed right before killing Ganon, I like to think it's Fi saying hi. <3 Fi.
      - Ganondorf threatening Link to destroy his offspring... that must be the Knights of Hyrule of ALttP, which he did destroy! The only complicated thing is that it was in a different timeline...

On to Oracle of Ages!
    • Hey! This is awesome to see! :D I am doing the same thing - the only difference is I am playing through the cd-i ones as well at the end. I also completed OoT 3D just recently. You will have to tell us what your favourite is :D Oh and here is a link to my marathon thread - I have a useful Document that may help you if you wish to use it - it's dangerous to go out alone and all that jazz.

zeldauniverse.net/forums/gener…-zelda-venture-bound.html
    • Nice!
      Hey, would you guys happen to be any good with podcasts or whatever? Because it's pretty interesting that we're all doing almost the same thing at the same time.
      We could pick one game we recently played and discuss it in a retrospective way or something. I'd be up for that. :)

Post by mumoira01 ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
    • Two days ago I started Oracle of Ages and now I'm already at around 50%. The game plays pretty well, it's streamlined, not too hard, with an interesting story. Pretty much a Zelda game by the book.
      And yet I miss something. It feels too... pieced together. I might be influenced by the fact that Capcom made this, as if I want to prove to myself that only Nintendo can make a truly good Zelda.

The game doesn't really add anything new, unless you count getting a ride on an animal's back. The timetravelling is like a mix between OoT's and the warping in ALttP. The trading sequence is so streamlined that it's too easy. The dungeons use easy puzzles and only once (dungeon 3) did I get stuck for longer than 2 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying the game. :) We'll see what I think after I beat it (and start OoS).

We'll see what happens
    • I played Seasons then Ages as a linked game. I personally liked Seasons more than Ages. I had the same feeling like you with Ages, something is missing. I'm playing through them again now, so I'm looking forward to compare our thoughts of the games.

I've never done Podcasts before, however I'd be up for it.

Source Code

1. [B]. [URL="http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/general-zelda/161189-blog-completing-all-the-zelda-games.html"][U][B]Blog: Completing all the Zelda-Games[/B][/U][/URL][/B]
      2. [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]The Legend of Zelda [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]Four Swords AE [ ]Ocarina of Time
      3. [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]The Adventure of Link [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]The Minish Cap [ ]Majora's Mask
      4. [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]Link's Awakening (DX) [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]Phantom Hourglass [ ]Twilight Princess
      5. [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]Oracle of Ages [ ]Spirit Tracks [ ]Skyward Sword
      6. [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]Oracle of Season [[SIZE="2"]&#10003;[/SIZE]]A Link to the Past [ ]The Wind Waker

Latest PodSmashers video: A Link to the Past podcast!
    • So after Oracle of Ages, TWWHD came out. Because I thought playing OoA and OoS back to back would be boring anyway, I decided to play TWWHD first.

I loved the game. Which is weird, because I grew to almost hate the original. When I beat it on the Cube, I promised myself to never play the game again. It was too slow and annoying. But they almost fixed every problem with this remake!

Yesterday I started Oracle of Seasons. I hate that you start with 0 items... even though a few minutes earlier I had everything in Ages. :P
    • Since my last post I finished Oracle of Seasons (+ the true ending) and 100%ed ALBW! I'm now on my Hero Mode run, just 5 dungeons left.

Once I finish ALBW, I'll start Twilight Princess. And I might play Four Swords: Anniversary Edition on the side (I finally found a 3DS which had the game installed!).

So sometimes I get a bit tired of Zelda and then I need to stop playing the games for a few weeks. But I'm still pretty surprised that I've managed to play around half of the games in just a year!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Canyarion ().

• Last I checked, I don't think Four Swords Adventures can be complete 100% because there honestly isn't anything to do when you've beaten the story. Maybe you can beat it 100% through the multiplayer Tingle mini games, but you need a second GBA for that.

But best of luck towards this. Hope you finish by next year. So far I've only beaten Wind Waker 100%, Twilight Princess 100%, aside from that stupid fishing pond mini game, and The Minish Cap, almost 100%, just need two kinstone fusions. I wouldn't recommend playing Phantom Hourglass 100%, because you need to constantly search for different ship parts for 100%.
    • Yeah PH 100% is so boring. I spent a few hours farming ship parts (through the shooting gallery), but I keep getting parts I already have. Fortunately it's possible to trade online, so I just need to find a few people willing to help me there.

Last time I beat FSA, I don't think I got all the secrets (extra heart containers etc.) in each level, so I could at least do that. I have no idea what the Tingle minigames are, so I'll look into that.

Now that I have your attention, would anybody be interested in making a guest appearance in our PodSmashers podcasts? There are still lots of games & topics we want to talk about, but not all of us have enough time to do them regularly. Three persons in a podcast is probably the sweet spot, so then it would be 2 regulars + 1 guest.
      You'll find our Zelda PodSmashers thread & YouTube channel in my signature. Let me know. :D
    • I'm at 2/3 of Twilight Princess! I ended up playing it on the GameCube. Apparently my CPU isn't strong enough to emulate TP with HD textures, so I didn't see the point in playing it on Dolphin. And I also wanted to play it on the Cube sooner or later.

So far I have to say I remembered this game being better than it actually is. In 2006 I got so emotional during all the epic cutscenes... Now the first half of the game had me thinking "argh just let me go to the next dungeon please" all the time.
      I'll probably finish the game within a week.

In the meantime I'm slowly gathering rings in OoS/OoA. I have to replay both games to get all of them and I don't really plan on doing that within a year.

Yesterday I started playing Four Swords AE, which I now finally own. Fun game. I already beat it on my friends 3DS, but now I can finally play it more casually. Oh also a fun fact: I now own all Zelda games!

After FS:AE I'll probably dive into The Minish Cap.
    • I recently transferred Four Swords Anniversary Edition from a pre-owned DSi to my Nintendo 3DS. I'm so glad to have this little gem hehe. And was even glader to discover that my three closest friends, who all own a 3DS, also have the software. I cannot wait to play the game with the four of us ^_^

I hope you enjoy your quest Canyarion, and wish you the best of luck with it!

I've only attained 100% with A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess and A Link Between Worlds. But I intend to 100% Skyward Sword next...

The post was edited 1 time, last by Red Falcon ().

• Canyarion wrote:

Last time I beat FSA, I don't think I got all the secrets (extra heart containers etc.) in each level, so I could at least do that. I have no idea what the Tingle minigames are, so I'll look into that.

Even if you get all the secrets in a given level, they reset as soon as you leave. So, in a sense, you can never truly complete FSA 100%. It drives me crazy because I'm a completionist also, and I like showing off all my shiny 100% files :XD:

Of course, you can still go for all the secrets for your own satisfaction. It is your run of the game, after all. I would recommend just playing through the main story, though.
    • Well, I already played FSA once for the story... But I sometimes had this feeling I was missing things. So yeah, I want to get all the heart containers for my own satisfaction. :P

I'm also trying to get Four Swords (GBA) to work online on an emulator. People say it's possible, but so far Rosendahl and me rand into problems. If we get it to work, we plan on recording a Let's Play!
    • So I beat TP a few weeks ago, a few hours before we recorded our podcast on it. (That one's being edited now and should be up within a week.)

I'm trying to get 100%, but oh boy... it's so boring! You have to wait for the night all the time, because that's when the poes show up. And to make sure I don't miss any grottoes, I run around as a wolf while sensing... It's annoyingly slow.
      I need 3 pieces of heart and 7 poe souls.

Meanwhile I'm getting further in Four Swords AE. :P I unlocked the Hero Trial. I finished the first door, I couldn't help but die a lot near the end.
      I'm also getting the golden keys by replaying each stage.